watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Present Team

Started by Hatrick, November 30, 2019, 08:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatrick

As a very long term supporter I feel the football that is being played this season is ponderous , the build up from the back is slow too many passes especially short tip tap sideways and back passes.Our forwards in my opinion are too slow with the exception of Mitro who if given opportunities will produce goal attempts either he needs someone closer to him to pick up the knock downs etc or more speed ,variation  and  an alternative to mix things up . Yes we are doing OK at present but 2 years ago under Slava we were much pacier and our passing IMO was crisp and incisive causing oppositions far more problems .I feel that better managers will soon see a way to stop us and close us down if we dont have a Plan B

AnOldBrownie

What's your suggestion on how we improve with the current squad?

Not saying your opinion on the ball movement under Slav being "prettier"isn't true..but I don't see what metrics you're using to say we were better off exactly two years ago than the team is now.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

filham

Yes. I tend to agree but we are playing a tighter game and the defence is looking better. While the results are good , four wins on the trot, I for one am not going to complain.

Milo

Feel that our league position is more a reflection of the standard of the league this year

..FOF..

It was pacier, crisp and incisive everytime in the EFL with Joka.... during the 2nd half of the seasons, if I remembered correctly.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Milo on November 30, 2019, 10:45:23 PM
Feel that our league position is more a reflection of the standard of the league this year

Agreed, I believe it is an unusually competitive and high standard this year.

Porthogs FC

It might be more ponderous, but Parker is a veritable genius with his substitutions, and recognizing who plays best and where. Slav might have had prettier football, but goodness is man management was off the wall. Not as bad as the Cheese geezer, but still pretty shocking.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 01, 2019, 01:09:35 AM

Agreed, although I don't consider it unusual, just that the standard throughout the league has been improving year-on-year for a while now

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on December 01, 2019, 02:22:58 AM

Agreed, although I don't consider it unusual, just that the standard throughout the league has been improving year-on-year for a while now

It also seems that League One and League Two are getting weaker, so any decent footballer is in the Championship. Harry Macquire and Kevin McDonald were in the "PFA Team of the Year" not so long ago.

toshes mate

I feel Fulham under Jokanovic and under Parker are two very different things. 

Jokanovic's style was possession with subtle menace from changes of pace and changes of direction and in he first half of his first full season defensive flaws appeared whenever possession broke down meaning inconsistency in results.  Possession retention improved sufficiently to slightly improve results in the second half of first season and performances continued to impress particularly away from home.  Jokanovic could help players improve techniques, skills, movement and decision making as long as they trusted the system.  His promotion season was more tellingly divided into two with problems concerning balance on the flanks and up top, until Targett and Mitro arrived.  The style in our promotion year was less flamboyant and more purposeful and results oriented although still stylish. Jpkanovic thrived on the professional attitude of his players to be the best.

Parker is a more methodical and less imaginative or innovative coach.  He seems to try to deal with problems head on, whereas more experienced managers would tackle them with more subtlety unless the head on method is more effective.  He doesn't seem to be teaching new tricks so much as building a framework within which players can be comfortable with others without necessarily having to change too much about themselves.  Parker's biggest issue may be fixation upon chosen solutions rather than gambling a little on players relearning their habits and changing their regimes.  Parker thrives on the tactical formation of his teams to get results.

I don't think all the differences between Parker and Jokanovic are down to differences in their coaching careers and experience levels.  I think it is down to how they played the game during their playing careers and how they see those memories being redeemed into a team under their respective commands.   This is the Parker era and it'll be fascinating to see how it pans out.

filham

A good analysis and judgement on Parker should wait until the end of the season. Right now though things are not going too badly.

colinwhite

It took Slavisa 2 seasons to get it right. Parker has had 6 months and less with this group of players.Slavisa got found out in the premiership .the real test is going to be how SP does if we get promoted.We had more mobillity and pace in slavisa s with  team Sessignon and fredricks on each side of the pitch. When we moved the ball under Slav it was moved right out to the sidelines befrore switching the play. Parkers team play more triangulation centrally.
The consequence of having Cavalero and Knockheart is when the ball goes out to them they most often stop or slow down  the play and look to beat a man. Horses for courses and all that.The discontent in the OP is bit baffling,as we are playing some great football at times. A matter of taste I suppose.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on December 01, 2019, 02:22:58 AM

I fully agree. A poor choice of words from me.