watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2019/20

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 02, 2019, 08:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieFFC

Can people please stop suggesting Danny Drinkwater. What makes you think the guy would do anything here?!?

FFC1987

Quote from: charlieFFC on January 07, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
Can people please stop suggesting Danny Drinkwater. What makes you think the guy would do anything here?!?

In current state, and last few years nothing. But, we have a good track record of taking in players when they're low on confidence, have personal problems and manage to get them back on track so it wouldn't be a terrible transfer. A gamble for sure and I still think wages hold us back but if we could get him anywhere near those Leicester days, it would be quite the coup.

For what its worth, I don't think it'll happen and I doubt Parker is really interested at this stage.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 07, 2020, 09:59:48 AM

In current state, and last few years nothing. But, we have a good track record of taking in players when they're low on confidence, have personal problems and manage to get them back on track so it wouldn't be a terrible transfer. A gamble for sure and I still think wages hold us back but if we could get him anywhere near those Leicester days, it would be quite the coup.

For what its worth, I don't think it'll happen and I doubt Parker is really interested at this stage.
do we have a good track record? I'm struggling to think of one
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on January 07, 2020, 10:27:06 AM

I think there's an argument to be made that Mitrovic is one of the better recent examples.

ByTheRiver

This! Leaving aside the fact he's barely kicked a ball in two years and the rumoured issues/fitness issues, the one place we absolutely DO NOT need any reinforcements is central midfield. In Championship terms, we have an absolute wealth of talent. I can think of at least three positions that could use upgrades or additions before we even look at CM/DM!

charlieFFC

Other clubs who are interested in him have been told they will have to pay his full £110,000 week if they want him.

With that in mind and completely turning a blind eye to FFP the last thing we need is a player who has "nothing to prove" and is clearly content earning his pay packet.

If Sean Dyche cant get anything out of him and DD would rather get behind the wheel drunk, I definitely don't want him at the Cottage.

These signings / loans literally never work out for any club ever yet fans still fall into the "revival of career" trap. Someone who is on that much money a week doesn't need a revival.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 07, 2020, 10:28:58 AM

I think there's an argument to be made that Mitrovic is one of the better recent examples.

I've never really bought into this - he was still flying at international level and known as a fantastic player. He didn't fit Benitez's system which relies on a very mobile, pacey forward working often in isolation. Any 'anger issues' were likely a result of frustration with this (and he was what, 22?).

There is a case for Danny Murphy and possibly Zamora but, to be honest, it was a long time ago and there have been far more examples (such is the law of averages with these things) where it hasn't worked out. Markovic being a very recent (and possibly more accurate comparison giving recent playing time, etc) example. 

FFC1987

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 07, 2020, 10:36:26 AM

I've never really bought into this - he was still flying at international level and known as a fantastic player. He didn't fit Benitez's system which relies on a very mobile, pacey forward working often in isolation. Any 'anger issues' were likely a result of frustration with this (and he was what, 22?).

There is a case for Danny Murphy and possibly Zamora but, to be honest, it was a long time ago and there have been far more examples (such is the law of averages with these things) where it hasn't worked out. Markovic being a very recent (and possibly more accurate comparison giving recent playing time, etc) example.

True. with Mitro though, we definitely completely rebuilt his reputation/perception. Everyone lauds him as a professional now rather than some angry red card waiting to happen.

I wouldn't put Markovic in that bracket really, he's not really done anything to warrant being troubled, a club just way overpaid for him. Not really his fault. But I do agree, there's probably as many guys we tried and didn't get back on track as we did, probably more. We're just a good, family club and I think it helps a lot of players. Might be wrong, but if Drinkwater was to ever get his career back on track and defeat his demons, a club like Fulham would be his best chance.

regardless, won't happen. I think he'll pick up high value cheques for the remainder of his career and be like Rodwell. Hopefully I'm wrong though but he isn't worth anywhere near the 110k mark someone mentioned above. He wasn't even at his height at leicester imo.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: Southdowns White on January 07, 2020, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 07, 2020, 06:38:31 AM
Glenn Murray incoming from Brighton on a free.đŸ˜µ
Slow, Legs have gone, resorts to falling over to get free kicks. That's what the locals tell me.

Even at 35, great backup to Mitro, who can cover the last 10-15 mins of games etc. If he's on a free, even better...

FFC1987

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 07, 2020, 11:31:55 AM
Quote from: Southdowns White on January 07, 2020, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 07, 2020, 06:38:31 AM
Glenn Murray incoming from Brighton on a free.đŸ˜µ
Slow, Legs have gone, resorts to falling over to get free kicks. That's what the locals tell me.

Even at 35, great backup to Mitro, who can cover the last 10-15 mins of games etc. If he's on a free, even better...

I suspect he'd be an expensive backup though? I think a top 10 championship club would pay him what he wants and want him as a starter to be honest but who knows!

fulhamben

he wasn't low on confidence and just didn't suit there style, and I'm not aware of any personal issues
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jurassic Parker

You guys proposing Danny Drinkwater are aware that he in the past year has been picking up DUI's as well as getting injured in nightclubs by getting drunk and trying to take other guys girlfriends home and getting beaten up as a consequence?

He isn't a professional and has alcohol and attitude problems. All the best to him, we all have/had friends like that or have been like that ourselves, I'm not trying to judge his character I'm sure he just needs to figure himself out, I don't like to think of people as inherent pricks, but I think it makes no sense from a business stand point to employ such a fella.

Art Vandelay

Drinkwater is apparently signing for Villa and they are welcome to him!!!

Mince n Tatties

spikey norman

Heard on Talksport yesterday that Leeds are interested in signing Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley

St. Andrews White

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 07, 2020, 02:32:26 AM
Quote from: St. Andrews White on January 06, 2020, 10:13:07 PM
I'd be a bit surprised if we did serious business this window, given we had to wait for the Sess money to come in before we go Hector and we have no more loan spots.

Does anyone know if we can buy any of our loanees now to free up a spot? We surely know we want Reed and Reid of the 5 at the least!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

According to Nottingham Forest, we can sign more than five loans but can only name five in each matchday squad, plus we can convert any loan to permanent during the transfer window. https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/championship-loan-rules-explained-how-3038186

Cheers for that. In which case wouldn't mind another LB or CF on loan. Although Parker indicated he'd be giving young Jay Stan more gametime which would be excellent
The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

charlieFFC

St. Andrews White

Cav's just signed permanently! Loan incoming I'd imagine...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

FFC1987

That relationship TK mentioned worked here I reckon. Wonder if there's any other out of form Wolves player incoming?

grandad

Too right. The Blue Poo want someone to take over his £110k a week salary. No thankyou.
Where there's a will there's a wife