2-3
Birmingham City
Sheff Wed
2-1
Brentford

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Bristol City

Josh Brownhill's goal was his fifth of the season for Bristol City

Bristol City ended Fulham's four-match winning run in the Championship as they hung on for victory at Craven Cottage.

Midfielder Josh Brownhill scored for the second successive match, heading home Niclas Eliasson's cross from the left after being left unmarked.

The home side had plenty of possession, but Anthony Knockaert was foiled by keeper Dan Bentley when through one-on-one early in the second half.

Famara Diedhiou made it two for the Robins by finishing off a superb move by tapping into an empty net, but Aboubakar Kamara ensured an anxious finish by netting after Bentley had saved Neeskens Kebano's initial shot and then headed against the bar in eight minutes of stoppage time.

Their fifth away win of the season lifted Lee Johnson's City side up to fourth in the table, and level on points with Fulham, who remain third on goal difference only.

Both sides wore black armbands following the recent death of City loan forward Benik Afobe's two-year-old daughter Amora, with the two sets of spectators joining together for a minute's applause.

Top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic was a subdued figure for Fulham in the first half as the Robins defence kept him in check and it was Ivan Cavaleiro who carried the main threat.

Mitrovic came more into the game after the break, volleying just too high after receiving Stefan Johansen's ball on his chest and then just failing to make contact as he stretched for Knockaert's curling cross, but he was unable to add to his 15 goals so far this term.

And Kamara's effort proved to be only a consolation as Fulham suffered their third home defeat this season, although they were convinced they should have had a penalty when Kebano went down in the box.

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:

"I was pretty calm, I believed in the boys, there was a heart in mouth moment with the penalty appeal at the end but I thought we deserved the win.

"We nullified them, especially in the first half, I'm really pleased with the performance and we've earned a win against a very very good side.

"The second goal is as good as you'll see at any level of football but it's worked on - the movement is about tactical work and as staff that makes you feel really good."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50611054

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Scott Parker was left frustrated at the late decision that went against his side, but was proud of the application shown by his players.

At 2-1 down, Neeskens Kebano was felled in the area, but no decision was given either way.

"I think the referee's obviously made a big mistake," Parker said. "That can happen, human error. That's when you want VAR in the Championship.

"Standing here you'd want it to go to VAR and I think this time it's an instant reverse of the decision. It's one of those things – we dust ourselves off and go again.

"I just felt the game wasn't in control at times. Jez [Simpson], the ref, who's got a tough job, obviously he's making decisions on split calls, and we're disappointed we've not got the penalty late on, and the other little bits here and there are part and parcel really."

Asked if he thinks VAR should be introduced at Championship level, Parker said: "Tonight I do! It is what it is.

"I just said to the ref, when you come to football matches, you guys [the media] see a lot of football matches every week, the fans do, I played for 20 years and now as a coach, you see instances developing.

"And as that action was developing, that play was developing, as Neeskens got in front of him you see the guy coming across him, I'm thinking 'you need to look for a penalty here, he's maybe going to clip the back of his leg.'

"That's how I see it, but it is what it is. Bristol City got the win today but I'm ultimately proud of my team.

"Three or four weeks ago we lost to Hull here, the stadium cleared out, the fans probably lost a bit of belief in that sense that we couldn't get back in it. I felt that the players did as well in that game.

"At 2-0 today with 10 minutes left on the clock, every one of my players was in the ascendency. They didn't give up, they kept going.

"On another day, the one that hits the bar, the decision that's obviously a penalty, it could turn a different way, and I'm proud of the players for that."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/december/07/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Fulham's winning run ended by home defeat

Fulham 1 Bristol City 2

Fulham's four-match winning streak came to an end against a resolute Bristol City side, who are now equal on points with the Whites in third place in the Championship.

Fulham struggled to break down the visitors, who have beaten them at Craven Cottage for the fifth match in a row, though the home side wasted clear chances at the start of each half.

Anthony Knockaert started in place of Aboubakar Kamara as the only change from last week's win at Swansea and should have put the home side in front after two minutes, but diverted Joe Bryan's excellent cross over the bar from close range.

The Robins pressed well from the outset and could have taken the lead through Famara Diedhiou, who headed straight at Marek Rodák after a quarter of an hour.

But an unmarked Josh Brownhill made no mistake in a similar situation 10 minutes later, capitalising on Fulham's lapse in concentration at the back by nodding in Niclas Eliasson's cross.

Knockaert spurned another glorious chance just a minute after the restart when he was clean through on goal, but fluffed his lines again as former Brentford goalkeeper Daniel Bentley closed him down.

Championship top scorer Aleksandar Mitrović had a frustrating afternoon up against the physical partnership of Nathan Baker and Ashley Williams, failing to hit the target with any of his three shots.

And with 15 minutes to go, Diedhiou doubled the lead after good work by Bristol down the right, tapping an Adam Nagy pull-back into an empty net.

Substitute Kamara gave the Whites hope with five minutes to go when he lashed home the rebound off a drive from Neeskens Kebano, who was making only his second appearance of the season.

Kebano was then seemingly brought down in the box in added time, only for the referee to wave Fulham's fervent appeals away, before the Congolese hit the bar with a header as the Whites piled forward in search of an equaliser but ultimately fell just short.

Fulham: Rodák; Odoi (Christie 86), Mawson, Ream, Bryan; Johansen, Cairney, Onomah (Kamara 68); Knockaert, Cavaleiro (Kebano 82), Mitrović.
Subs not used: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, O'Riley, De La Torre

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulhams-winning-run-ended-by-home-defeat-by-bristol-city

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Bristol City: Lee Johnson's men beat promotion rivals to move fourth in the Championship

Josh Brownhill opened the scoring for Bristol City with a 26th-minute header
    Lee Johnson's men go fourth in the Championship, level on points with Fulham 
    Famara Diedhiou scored in the 76th minute to confirm the victory for the Robins
    Aboubakar Kamara halved the deficit for Fulham in the 86th minute
    Fulham were denied a penalty in injury time by referee Jeremy Simpson

Bristol City ended Fulham's four-game winning run to move up to fourth in the Championship title race after surviving a late fightback at Craven Cottage.

Josh Brownhill's first-half header and a second-half tap-in for Famara Diedhiou secured a first win against any of the top six for Lee Johnson's side this season.

The Robins survived a chaotic finish when Aboubakar Kamara scored, Neeskens Kebano was controversially denied a penalty and Aleksandar Mitrovic hit the bar, but are now behind Fulham only on goal difference and sit eight points from the summit.

Parker admitted frustration at the pivotal late penalty decision and called for VAR to be introduced in the division.

He said: 'The referee has obviously made a big mistake, obviously that can happen with human error and that is when you want VAR in the Championship. Standing there you want it to go to VAR and I think at that time it is an instant reverse of the decision. It is one of them things. We dust ourselves off and go on again.'

Scott Parker's side started with intent and Anthony Knockaert could only steer Joe Bryan's inviting centre over the bar from close range.

Diedhiou spurned a glaring opportunity when he headed straight at Marek Rodak from Niclas Eliasson's cross.

Fulham then carved the visitors apart with some scintillating attacking play from front to back, but an onrushing Bentley beat Cavaleiro to the through-ball.

Brownhill would draw first blood arriving into the box unmarked to nod home Eliasson's pinpoint left-wing cross to silence the home fans and register his fifth goal of the season.

Fulham's biggest threat came through the left-wing partnership of former Robin Bryan's pinpoint crossing and Cavaleiro's trickery, but were unable to force a leveler before the break.

Fulham began the second half in spirited fashion, Bentley denying Knockeart when through on goal, before Mitrovic's header looped over the bar.

The Serbian striker then raced onto Johansen's searching through-ball, but his half-volley was screwed wide.

With both sides in the play-off places, a win was important to both side's promotion hopes

As the hour mark approached, Fulham had full control of the match and Mitrovic was inches away from connecting with Knockaert's wicked delivery, but the door remained firmly shut.

Parker's side were undone again with 15 minutes left when Adam Nagy skipped to the byline and crossed low for Diedhiou to tap in and complete a slick passing move involving sublime skill from standout teenage midfielder Han-Noah Massengo.

Fulham finally earned a reward when substitute Kamara fired in from a narrow angle to set up a grandstand finish.

The hosts were certain they won a penalty when Neeskens Kebano appeared to be tripped in the box by Callum O'Dowda, but referee Jeremy Simpson remained unmoved.

The 2-1 defeat ended Scott Parker's men's run of four straight wins in the Championship

Simmering tensions momentarily boiled over as the two sides clashed and Mitrovic then rattled the bar with a late header, but the Robins rode out the storm to earn a statement win.

On the penalty, Johnson said: 'I haven't seen the goal but I don't need to, I have spoken to the player who felt he pulled out. But that's the players word for it and I'm sure if the roles were reversed I would have a different opinion.'

'There were always going to be moments in the game that we had to ride out but in the first half we were outstanding and earned the right to win.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7767047/Fulham-1-2-Bristol-City-Lee-Johnsons-men-secure-impressive-victory-promotion-rivals-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Bristol City end Fulham's winning run

Bristol City moved level on points with third-placed opponents Fulham thanks to a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage in the Sky Bet Championship.

Robins captain Josh Brownhill opened the scoring in the first half and Famara Diedhiou added a second with 14 minutes left.

And they held on to end Fulham's four-match winning run despite Aboubakar Kamara reducing the arrears late on in a frantic and bad-tempered finale of penalty appeals and near-misses.

Fulham's first serious attack came after nine minutes. Stefan Johansen spotted the run of Ivan Cavaleiro and chipped the ball over the City defence and into his path, but goalkeeper Daniel Bentley was swiftly off his line to get enough of a touch on Cavaleiro's shot to allow Jack Hunt to clear.

Six minutes later the visitors should have taken the lead. A lucky bounce fell for Andreas Weimann and he spread the ball out to Niclas Eliasson on the right. His cross was met by Diedhiou six yards out but his header was straight at goalkeeper Marek Rodak, who clutched the ball at the second attempt.

But after 26 minutes they were ahead. Fulham probably thought they had cleared an initial attack but Eliasson, on the left this time, collected the loose ball and returned it into the centre, where Brownhill headed his fifth goal of the campaign firmly past Rodak from eight yards.

Fulham tried to hit back but were too ponderous with their attacks. Even when a clever feint by Cavaleiro left two defenders on their backs, he took too long to decide what to do next and the chance was gone.

They looked sharper after the interval and Anthony Knockaert scampered clear of the City defence only for Bentley to block his shot with his legs.

Then Fulham top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic missed two good chances, nodding Joe Bryan's cross high from six yards, then stretching out a leg in a vain attempt to reach Knockaert's deflected cross.

But City doubled their lead after 76 minutes with a superbly-worked team goal. Brownhill's clever back-heel released Adam Nagy, who slid the ball across goal for Diedhiou to tap in his sixth goal of the season in all competitions.

Fulham pulled one back four minutes from time thanks to two substitutes. Bentley parried a shot be Neeskens Kebano but Kamara hit home the rebound.

But there was plenty of drama yet to come. The Fulham players surrounded referee Jeremy Simpson and demanded a penalty in added time when Kebano fell under challenge from Callum O'Dowda.

And there was still time for Kebano to head against the crossbar as the Robins held on.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/bristol-city-end-fulhams-winning-run#RUYW0JMgqi18pk6l.99

WhiteJC

Fulham comeback dashed after late penalty controversy against Bristol City

Fulham 1 Bristol City 2

Fulham were denied what appeared to be a clear-cut penalty in injury time as they slipped to a third home defeat of the season.

They looked dead and buried entering the last five minutes 2-0 down but Abou Kamara scored to set up a grandstand finish.

And in a frantic finale, which also saw two other subs almost combine to score – Neeskens Kebano heading a Cyrus Christie cross onto the bar – ref Jeremy Simpson waved play on after what looked to have been a trip on Kebano by City's Callum O'Dowda.

The official booked Tom Cairney, who led the protests, and the crowd weighed in, voicing its displeasure at the referee, who had been on the receiving end of catcalls throughout.

The win was City's fifth in a row at the Cottage and ended a run of four straight wins for the Whites, who travel to Preston on Tuesday for their next game,

Fulham started well enough and there was an early chance when Joe Bryan – playing against his old club - swung in a wicked cross but Anthony Knockaert could not get over the ball, and lifted it into the Putney End from six yards out.

Not long after, Stefan Johansen's perfect chip forward gave Ivan Cavaleiro a run on goal towards a kindly bouncing ball, but keeper Dan Bentley came out to smother.

Yet if the hope was that this would be a stroll towards a fifth straight win, the visitors soon dispelled it with their quick tempo and high press which caused problems and hurried Scott Parker's men into uncharacteristic mistakes.

Marek Rodak was grateful a Famara Diedhiou header lacked power and came straight at him after Niclas Eliasson had floated a cross in from the right.

The next ball into the box from Eliasson had a different outcome on 26 minutes – the Swede picking up a loose ball near the left byline and chipping back for midfielder Josh Brownhill to head home.

There was an early opportunity to change the narrative at the restart when Cavaleiro flicked a ball through for Knockaert, but the onrushing Bentley, and a clutch of chasing defenders, blocked the chance.

Mitrovic, well-marshalled by City's defenders in the first half, finally got in on the act with a stooping header from a Bryan cross but was well off target.

Then the Serb came closer, controlling a long pass from Johansen, before sending a rising shot over the top from outside the box. Cairney pinged another effort at Bentley.

Parker threw on Abou Kamara after 68 minutes in place of Josh Onomah – the winger perhaps unlucky not to have started in the first place given his recent form, and he had a big say in the home side's late charge.

But on 76 minutes, a slick move had the visitors 2-0 up. Brownhill's smart backheel gave Hungarian midfielder Adam Nagy the chance to get to the byline around Tim Ream and his ball across goal gave Diedhiou the simplest of tap-ins.

Kebano came on and his rifled effort in the 86th minute was saved at full stretch by Bentley, but  Kamara turned in the rebound to set up the controversial finale.

The Whites had six players booked on a fractious afternoon when the visitors frustrated them and they felt they were on the wrong end of too many decisions, but they remain third in the table.

Line up: Rodak – Odoi (Christie 87), Mawson, Ream, Bryan – Onomah (Kamara 68), Johansen, Cairney – Knockaert, Mitrovic, Cavaleiro (Kebano 82). Subs not used: Bettinelli, Christie, O'Riley, De la Torre, Sessegnon.

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2019/12/07/Fulham-comeback-dashed-after-late-penalty-controversy-against-Bristol-City

WhiteJC

Parker says ref got it wrong, but takes heart from Fulham refusal to throw in the towel

Scott Parker said referee Jeremy Simpson 'made a big mistake' as Fulham were denied a late penalty which would have given them a point.

The Whites staged a stirring late rally – fuelled by an Abou Kamara goal – and appeared to have saved themselves deep into injury time when sub Neeskens Kebano was sent flying by Bristol City's Callum O'Dowda.

But Simpson was unmoved, much to the fury of home fans and players.

Even City boss Lee Johnson admitted it was: 2definitely a heart in the mouth moment."

Parker said: "The referee's obviously made a big mistake. That can happen – obviously human error. That's when you want VAR in the Championship.

"Obviously you want it to go to VAR and I think probably in that time it's an instant reverse of the decision, really. It's one of those things. We dust ourselves off and go again.

"The game wasn't in control at times, but I don't want to criticise. The ref's got a tough job and obviously he's making decisions on split calls and I think obviously we're disappointed we've not got the penalty late on.

"As that play was developing, and as Neeskins [Kebano] got in front on him [O'Dowda] I'm thinking 'you need to look for a penalty here', he's going to maybe clip the back of his leg.  That's how I see it.

"But it is what it is and Bristol got the win today."

Parker added: "I'm ultimately proud of my team. Three or four weeks ago we lost to Hull here, the stadium cleared out and probably the fans lost a bit of belief in that sense.

"We couldn't get back in it.  I felt that thee players did in that game as well. I didn't look at my players and think 'you know what, you can get back in this.'

"At 2-0 [down] today with 10 minutes left on the clock, every one of my players was in the ascendancy. They didn't give up and they kept going.

"On another day, the one that hits the bar, the penalty decision, which was obviously a penalty, it could turn a different way. I'm proud of the players today."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2019/12/07/Parker-says-ref-got-it-wrong-but-takes-heart-from-Fulham-refusal-to-throw-in-the-towel

WhiteJC

Parker bemoans penalty decision after Fulham defeat

Scott Parker insisted referee Jeremy Simpson was at fault for a missed penalty call in the closing stages of Fulham's 2-1 defeat at home by Bristol City.

Substitute Neeskens Kebano appeared to be brought down in the box by Callum O'Dowda in added time as the Whites piled the pressure on in search of an equaliser, but Simpson waved away the raucous appeals.

And by denying his side the opportunity to level the game late on for a precious point against their promotion rivals, who went equal on points with the Whites in third place, boss Parker feels that the introduction of a video assistant referee may be due in the Championship.

"The referee's obviously made a big mistake," he said. "That can happen. It's human error.

"That's when you want VAR in the Championship. That time, it would be an instant reversal of the decision, really. It's one of those things, but we dust ourselves off and go again."

Booed off after a contentious first half in which the home side and much of the stadium felt that several decision had gone against them, Simpson was also unable to stamp his authority on the game, according to the former Fulham captain.

"I just felt like the game wasn't in control at times," he said. "I don't want to criticise the ref. He's got a tough job. He's making decisions in split seconds.

"We're disappointed we haven't got the penalty late on. When you come to football matches every week, with me playing for 20 years and now as a coach, you see instances developing.

"As that play was developing, as Neeskens got in front of him, you see the guy coming across him, and I'm thinking you've got to be looking for [evidence of] a penalty here. He clipped the back of his leg. That's the way I see it.

"But it is what it is. Bristol got the win today. I'm ultimately proud of my team."

The defeat ended a run of four consecutive wins for Fulham since a 3-0 drubbing by Hull at Craven Cottage, but the response to going behind was markedly different this time – with Kebano also heading against the crossbar shortly after the penalty shout.

Parker added: "Four weeks ago we lost to Hull here. The stadium cleared out. The fans probably lost a bit of belief to get back in it, and I feel that the players did as well.

"At 2-0 today with 10 minutes left on the clock, every one of my players were in the ascendancy and didn't give up. They kept going.

"On another day, the one that hits the bar, the penalty decision that wasn't, it could turn a different way. I'm proud of the players for that."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-blames-fulhams-defeat-against-bristol-city-on-big-mistake-by-referee

WhiteJC

Fulham v Bristol City player ratings

Fulham lost out to Bristol City on a frustrating afternoon at Craven Cottage. Here's how we rated the players.
Marek Rodák: 6

Can't be blamed for the two Bristol City goals and was reliable when required, distributing well at times. Flew forward for a Fulham corner in the last minute – booked for his troubles.
Denis Odoi: 5

Couldn't provide a great deal of attacking intent and struggled, like the rest of Fulham's defence, to deal with Diedhiou's powerful play. Booked for a foul on Weimann while defending a counter-attack.
Tim Ream: 5

Beaten for City's second and wasn't able to pass out from the back as comfortably as he would like, with the Robins pressing high at times. Without a ball carrier and defensive shield ahead of him, the veteran defender can find fast and strong attackers challenging.
Alfie Mawson: 5

Struggled without a holding midfielder there to suppress City's counter-attacks, leaving opponents free to head in their opener. Got himself forward in the closing stages but couldn't find a late goal.
Joe Bryan: 6

Playing against his boyhood club, all of Fulham's attacks came through the left-back in the first half but his frequent crosses couldn't find a teammate. Created Mitrovic's first headed opportunity but not much more and blasted a desperate shot wide late on.
Stefan Johansen: 7

Fulham's stand-out performer when the game lacked energy and incision – but could be used more effectively if given more freedom box to box. Always looked for the vertical pass to Mitrovic and kept the ball moving as the game progressed.
Tom Cairney: 6

The captain wasn't able to orchestrate the game despite Fulham's possession. Perhaps being asked to do too much by covering the left channel defensively instead of Cavaleiro.
Josh Onomah: 6

An interesting test for Onomah, with Parker opting for an attacking midfielder ahead of Cairney and Johansen rather than a holding man. Had some good touches and pressed well but perhaps not the answer in this system.
Anthony Knockaert: 5

Was largely anonymous in the first half after fluffing a chance in the opening minutes and struggled to have an impact on the game, lacking any fluidity with Odoi on the right wing. More involved in the second half, but failed to finish again when sent through on goal. Lucky to avoid a red card for a kick-out.
Ivan Cavaleiro: 6

The winger was heavily involved throughout but things wouldn't fall for him on what proved to be a frustrating afternoon. Led the Fulham side in shot attempts, but couldn't test the keeper enough.
Aleksandar Mitrović: 6

Snatched at his chances but not given much service by the Fulham team. At odds with the referee's judgment of his grappling with defenders. A difficult day for the Fulham talisman against a resolute Bristolian defence.
Aboubakar Kamara: 7

Introduced with 25 minutes to go and got on the ball several times in threatening positions. Fired in Fulham's goal as the home side pushed forward late on.
Neeskens Kebano: 8

Brought a spark of energy into the game on only his second appearance of the season and forced the keeper to parry before Kamara's finish. Probably should have been awarded a penalty when clipped in injury time, before remarkably hitting the bar with a header.
Cyrus Christie: 6

Introduced just after Fulham's goal and applied himself in Fulham's final attacks, but to no avail.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-bristol-city-player-ratings-071219

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Scott Parker calls for VAR in the Championship

Fulham head coach Scott Parker called for VAR to be introduced into the Sky Bet Championship after believing his side were denied a late penalty by referee Jeremy Simpson.

Bristol City led 2-0 through captain Josh Brownhill and Famara Diedhiou before Fulham substitute Aboubakar Kamara pulled a goal back in the 86th minute to spark a frantic finale.

Neeskens Kebano appeared to be clipped by City's Callum O'Dowda, only for referee Simpson to wave away appeals from the Fulham players mobbing him, before the midfielder headed against the crossbar in stoppage time.

Parker was convinced that Simpson had erred in not awarding a spot-kick. "I think so," he said.

"The referee has obviously made a big mistake and that can happen, human error. That's when you want VAR in the Championship. Probably it is an instant reversal of the decision.

"I think you come to football matches, and I played for 20 years, and you see instances developing.

"As that play was developing, as Neeskens got in front of him and you saw the guy coming across him, you think: 'You need to look for a penalty here, he is going to clip the back of his leg.' That's how I see it.

"But I am proud of my team. Three or four weeks ago we lost to Hull City here and the stadium cleared out. The fans lost a bit of belief that we could get back in it and I sensed the players did as well.

"But at 2-0 down today with 10 minutes on the clock, we were in the ascendancy and didn't give up, they kept going.

"On another day, the one that hits the bar, the penalty decision, it could turn a different way. I'm proud of the players today."

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson said: "I haven't seen the penalty back but I don't need to. I spoke to our player, Callum O'Dowda, and he felt he pulled away and pulled out. Obviously that is a player's word for it and I'm sure that if the roles were reversed then I would have a different opinion.

"It was a heart-in-the-mouth moment. But we deserved the win. In the first half, I thought we were absolutely outstanding and we limited them to not a lot and created a couple of really good chances ourselves. The second goal was as good as you will see at this level."

Speaking about the four-man move for the second goal, Johnson added: "As a coach I am delighted because there was a bit of everything in that goal, a bit of individual brilliance, a bit of tactical play, a bit of strength and it was an important time to get it."

He also praised Niclas Eliasson, whose cross created the opening goal.

"There were a few things he didn't get on the end of but we know his talents," Johnson said.

"You recruit players for their individual brilliance, especially wide men, but for me the way he has grown since we signed him as a young boy from Sweden, nurtured him physically and tactically, to see him become a man in his game at Championship level is full credit to him and very nice to see."

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fulham-boss-scott-parker-calls-var-championship#jf83dq5lVPhwdSe3.99

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham vs. Bristol City

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

Listen to co-hosts Emilio Di Nello, Joe Tivy, and Craig Coben, who were all at Craven Cottage for this match share their initial thoughts on this 2-1 loss for Fulham against Bristol City. We recorded this episode shortly after the match ended, and we did discuss the controversy at the end, but you will also hear all the co-hosts reaction to the entire match.

Lastly, you can listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/12/7/21000483/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-vs-bristol-city

WhiteJC

Referee robs Fulham of stirring comeback

Fulham were denied a share of spoils as Bristol City left Craven Cottage with all three points when referee Jeremy Simpson failed to award what appeared a stonewall penalty in stoppage time. Scott Parker's side might have pinched a point having handed the visitors a two-goal lead, but were left to reflect on might have been as the officials left the pitch to a cacophony of boos.

Parker might also pause to consider his own team selection after his decision to retain Josh Onomah behind Aleksandar Mitrovic and leave Aboubakar Kamara on the bench left Fulham looking toothless in attack for the majority of the match. Only once Kamara was summoned from the bench did the home side seriously look like breaching Bristol City's well-drilled defence – and the Frenchman's 86th minute close range finish set up a frantic finale.

Simpson, who had long since lost control of a contest that previously been played in a good spirit, somehow waved play on when substitute Neeskens Kebano was felled in the box by Callum O'Dowda. There was no booking for simulation for the Congolese winger, but a card followed for captain Tom Cairney who led a swarm of Fulham protests. Just to prove it wasn't going to be Fulham's day, Kebano rattled the crossbar with a looping header in the fourth minute of added time.

Lee Johnson's men underlined their own play-off credentials with a fifth consecutive win at Craven Cottage. City were patient in possession and able to soak up an early spell of Fulham pressure, with the recalled Anthony Knockaert scooping a dangerous cross from former Robin Joe Bryan over the bar from six yards out. Stefan Johansen than steered a pass over the City defence to free Ivan Caveleiro and, although the winger's shot squeezed past David Bentley, Jack Hunt was able to clear from underneath his own crossbar.

City looked potent enough going forward themselves. They created early jitters in the Fulham defence with a frenetic high pass and began to prey on those nerves. Famara Diedhiou perhaps should have put the away side by converting Niclas Eliasson's cross, but directed his header straight at Marek Rodak, who was alert enough to prevent Andreas Weimann from snaffling up the rebound.

Fulham didn't heed the warning, however, and were behind following Bristol City's next attack. Eliasson was the provider again – with a floated ball from the left this time after Denis Odoi could only half clear – and this time Josh Brownhill darted between the home centre backs to head home. City were content to sit deep and let Fulham have plenty of possession and, whilst they threatened to double their lead on the break, the closest Parker's men came to an equaliser before half time was a wild shot from Odoi that flew high into the Putney End.

Knockaert squandered a glorious chance to level matters a minute after the interval. Cavaleiro weighted a lovely ball in between the Bristol City defence to send the Frenchman in on goal, but Knockaert dithered as Bentley advanced and the former Brentford goalkeeper was equal to his eventual side-footed effort. Five minutes later and Mitrovic spurned a fine opening as well – sending a free header over the crossbar from Bryan's beautifully floated cross.

Fulham were gradually beginning to turn the screw. Mitrovic, so well marshalled by the Bristol City defenders in the first half, brought down a through ball by Johansen and drove towards the penalty area before shooting over as red shirts converged on him. He almost got on the end of a gorgeous cross from Knockaert but the ball had a touch too much pace on it as the Serb slide in at the back post. Bentley was equal to a trademark Cairney curler from the edge box – but the visitors were now being penned back in their own half.

Just as Fulham looked likely to grab an equaliser, they conceded a critical second. A slick move down the right unlocked the home defence. Brownhill's deft backheel released Adam Nagy, who strode away from Tim Ream, and delivered a low cross from the byline that was tapped home by Diedhou, who had been left completely unattended at the back post.

There seemed scant hope of a Fulham fightback, especially when Johansen had a goal disallowed for a push by Mitrovic at the near post. But Fulham kept plugging away and Kamara was quickest to react, giving them a lifeline after Bentley had made an excellent save from Kebano. The five minutes of added time contained no end of drama, as Simpson waved yellow cards often like confetti both before and after Fulham's penalty shout.

Kebano, who had already frightened the visitors during an impressive cameo, had little reason to go down as he sought an equaliser, but he was clearly clipped by O'Dowda. Simpson immediately waved away the appeals, which brought a prolonged period of protests from the Fulham players. Kebano's fury was only increased moments later when his header from a fine Cyrus Christie cross came back off the crossbar with Bentley beaten.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Odoi (Christie 87), Bryan, Mawson, Ream; Johansen, Cairney; Knockaert, Cavaleiro (Kebano 82), Onomah (Kamara 68), Mitrovic. Subs (not used): Bettinelli, S. Sessegnon, O'Riley, de la Torre.

BOOKED: Odoi, Knockaert, Cairney, Johansen, Rodak, Mawson.

GOAL: Kamara (86).

BRISTOL CITY (4-3-3): Bentley; Hunt (Moore 90), Rowe, Williams, Baker; Brownhill, Massengo, Nagy (Smith 87); Weimann, Eliasson (O'Dowda 78), Diedhou. Subs (not used): Mäenpää, Pereira, Palmer, Semenyo.

BOOKED: Eliasson, Hunt.

GOALS: Brownhill (26), Diedhou (76).

REFEREE: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire).

ATTENDANCE: 18,779.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/12/referee-robs-fulham-of-stirring-comeback/