News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sitting in the home stand at an away game.

Started by Whiteroom, November 08, 2010, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

Some of my friends are Newcastle fans (I was at university up there), and we have a deal that I will sit with them at St James' and they will sit with me at the cottage. Last time we were there I sat with the home fans and it was horrible. There will be Fulham fans looking at me and calling me all sorts of northern related names. I just want to you know that there is at least one of you in there. Do you celebrate when you score? Do you sink in your seat when you concede? Your thoughts.

ImperialWhite

I was at a QPR game recently (just to see what people had to put up with back when we ground shared). I did struggle to conceal a smurk when they were becoming more and more furious at their inability to score and Chris Eagle's comedy diving.

Not sure if I could watch Fulham in the wrong end though - although I am tempted to go to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, and I'll probably only be able to get hold of a home end ticket. Dunno what I would do if we scored though (however unlikely this scenario is...).

Willard

I sat in the Milburn stand when we beat Newcastle 4-1 under Chris Coleman. I was working oop North at the time and my geordie mate got the tickets - hence the seat location. Surrounded by bar code shirts. It was very, very hard to keep calm. By the end of it I was sitting on my hands.

TonyGilroy

You really do have to shut the f**k up.

Years ago I stood with a Sheffield friend behind the goal with the home supporters at a Rotherham v Fulham match which we won. My friend had the accent. I did my damndest to pretend to be a deaf mute which was tough as he kept talking to me.

finnster01

Have to agree with Mr Tony. STFU and watch the game and leave the colours at home or under the jacket. Remember, it isn't just you but your mates who got you the tickets could also get in trouble should any thing "kick off" and it isn't worth it.

One thing is in the stand, but I remember when I was at Uni (played for Glasgow Uni) and we played our hated rivals a bit down the road (Edinburgh). I sat on the bench and Edinburgh scored. For some reason I completely lost the plot and jumped up and celebrated...I think that was when they realized I may had lost a can or two from the six pack whilst in the Falklands. :030:   
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SuffolkWhite

I was in the Putney end years ago in the 80's when we played Watford with john Barnes and Luther Blisset in an F.A Cup tie.
I could not get tickets for the Hammy so went in with the away supporters. I took an acquaintance who knew little about football. When we scored in that game I kept quite but was of course overjoyed, my acquaintance was jumping around like we had won the world cup. Needless to say the comments started and then the threats. I got him out before any damage was done to either of us. We escaped via a steward under the River Side stand and then in to the Hammy for Sanctuary.

The other time was at Kettering recently, my mate was a Kettering fan and two tickets. We stood in the home end but were well behaved. The supporters around soon sussed us out but we had no problems to be fair. Lucky Barstewards was the worse comment we had.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

to be honest you shouldn't be there,into the lions den and all that,stuff happens in the heat of ther moment and there is no excuse but if the worse happens people will say"what the hell were you doing there in the first place-looking for trouble?"
there was a thread on here about 2 months back about an away fan being in the hammy end and then getting thrown out after celabrating a goal,thats the way it should be,your in my front room,your in my world so show some respect or get out-and that cuts both ways-stay safe mate,stay safe :048:

HatterDon

Years ago, I attended my one match in Newcastle. It was FA Cup, and 2nd division Luton [old money] beat 1st division Newcastle 1-0. On the way out, a fellow yank and I turned the wrong way and, instead of getting straight to the coach, wound up in a sea of effing and blinding Geordies. We just dropped our heads and muttered right along with them until we got reoriented. Never so glad in my life to have the same scarf as our opponents as I was that day.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Whiteroom on November 08, 2010, 04:33:55 PM
Some of my friends are Newcastle fans (I was at university up there), and we have a deal that I will sit with them at St James' and they will sit with me at the cottage. Last time we were there I sat with the home fans and it was horrible. There will be Fulham fans looking at me and calling me all sorts of northern related names. I just want to you know that there is at least one of you in there. Do you celebrate when you score? Do you sink in your seat when you concede? Your thoughts.
This is completely wrong ! Sit in the 'neutral' end! It's hard enough getting tickets for Fulham fans already!! :046:

Burt

Many moons ago one of my mates (a scouse) got me a ticket for Liverpool v. Fulham, a bunch of us from uni went. It was for the Kop (in the days of standing) and I kept a very low profile. Fortunately there was little to shout about so no conflict arose. They didn't seem to notice that I was not exactly jumping for joy each time they scored (it happened TEN times!). Towards the end, when we were still plugging away for a consolation goal and the away end was doing a conga, the locals started chanting "Fulham" and I felt able to join in with that one!!

epsomraver

B.O.B totally agree mate! as Fulham operate a neutral area there is no excuse for away supporters in the home areas, I just wish the club enforced it better.

Lighthouse

Many years ago when we played Brighton at the Goldstone Ground, I would often stand with the home supporters as I used to have mates in those days. Naturally Fulham would be beaten and I would slink away. One year, John Beck I think was making his debut for us. We were two down and had a shot on goal which looked to be heading for the top corner. I flung my hands in the air and the shot was saved. The feeling of a few thousand eyes looking at you with pure hatred was slightly off putting. So I just said what a great save it was, and the gutteral mumbles of the owners of the eyes began to fade.

But it isn't always bad. A mate of mine who was a Fulham fan, lived near Brighton and we were watching Fulham being put under 89 minutes of pressure. 1 nil down we scored in the last minute. A few pockets of cheers rang out from the stand where we were standing. Followed by a collective giggle that so many Fulham fans were there but had remained in cognito. Feeling brave I said that there was never any doubt in the result and my mate smiled. The two blokes in front of me turned around with beaming smiles. We were the only fans in the World to take over a ground and not tell each other we were there.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimpav

My wife, father-in-law and brother-in-law are all Spurs supporters.

He took me to Shite Hart Lane for our away fixture on Boxing day in that dark period in between Sanzhez being sacked and Hogson taking over.

We got tanked 5-1 and I was sandwiched between her dad and brother and thousands of other crowing Yids.

Needless to say we had the last laugh when we pipped them to Europe the following season.

FulhamRob

Back in '98 I went to Anfield for a cup tie and was assured we hadn't sold out our allocation so would be able to pay on the gate. This didn't prove to be the case so i had to go in with the scousers. Out of respect for sitting in someone else's stadium I kept schtum with Peschisolido scored his wonder goal, as I did when they ended up tucking a couple more past us. At the end of the day it's just good manners

Burt

Quote from: Jimpav on November 09, 2010, 12:22:16 PM
My wife, father-in-law and brother-in-law are all Spurs supporters.

He took me to Shite Hart Lane for our away fixture on Boxing day in that dark period in between Sanzhez being sacked and Hogson taking over.

We got tanked 5-1 and I was sandwiched between her dad and brother and thousands of other crowing Yids.

Needless to say we had the last laugh when we pipped them to Europe the following season.

I was in the away end for that and can assure you it was just as painful.

Particularly as my sister and her hubbie are Spuds fans and crowed long and hard afterward.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: epsomraver on November 09, 2010, 11:13:06 AM
B.O.B totally agree mate! as Fulham operate a neutral area there is no excuse for away supporters in the home areas, I just wish the club enforced it better.
Obviously no-one on here cares, except us! :020:

epsomraver

They soon would if we were on a hiding and away fans jumped up cheering in the Home ends , they couldn't get a steward quick enough, mind you for what good that will do.

mrska

I was on the Brentford Home terrace when they beat us 4 -0.. in the 90's..  i was so pee'd off  i just sat down ..  this was in the days of terracing...  Didnt care what happened to me... Nothing did!!

Jimpav

Quote from: epsomraver on November 09, 2010, 03:19:53 PM
They soon would if we were on a hiding and away fans jumped up cheering in the Home ends , they couldn't get a steward quick enough, mind you for what good that will do.

That's the point though. If away fans are wearing their colours and celebrating then people will get upset.

Personally I don't have a problem with the odd away fan sitting with their Fulham mates if they are not making a nuisance of themselves. It's when United, Liverpool and Arsenal come to town and the home ends are swamped with people that have brought tickets from touts that it becomes an issue.

It's all very well suggesting the Putney End for neutrals but if you are a ST holder then you are not going to give up your seat to watch a match with friends.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Jimpav on November 10, 2010, 01:21:57 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on November 09, 2010, 03:19:53 PM

That's the point though. If away fans are wearing their colours and celebrating then people will get upset.

Personally I don't have a problem with the odd away fan sitting with their Fulham mates if they are not making a nuisance of themselves. It's when United, Liverpool and Arsenal come to town and the home ends are swamped with people that have brought tickets from touts that it becomes an issue.

It's all very well suggesting the Putney End for neutrals but if you are a ST holder then you are not going to give up your seat to watch a match with friends.

Fair enough - let the 'friends' sit in the neutral end and meet tham afterwards!
As a certain rhodent would say - "Simple"