watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are We Better Away From Home?

Started by ByTheRiver, December 10, 2019, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

I haven't checked the numbers but it just feels like there has been a bit of a shift? Most of the *shock* results that springs to mind (Barnsley away on opening day excluded) seem to have been at home and there's been some strong results on the road (wins, draws that should have been wins).

Is it the stand? Increased expectation? System of play? Teams sitting back and more likely to attack us on their own turf? Or am I just imagining it all?

I have to say, I feel more confident about tonight than I did on Saturday, for example...

Whitesideup

"More likely to attack us on their own turf" - that's probably it for me. When we play with two very wide, wide men, teams can defend relatively effectively if they are well organized and don't take too many risks offensively. At home the expectation is that opponents will feel the need to take the game to us more, consequently leaving us with a bit more space in which to attack. Of course defensively we have to be on our game as going behind only makes the task more difficult. But at times we have shown resilience away from home to protect a lead, (Swansea, Birmingham) or to preserve a point (Boro and Cardiff - both with 10 men). Interestingly significant refereeing decisions going against us seem to have happened at home (West Brom and Bristol City) rather than away. A win and a draw and maybe you would not have that feeling.