watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 13/12/19...

Started by WhiteJC, December 12, 2019, 11:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Famous Fulham fan offers Aleksandar Mitrovic opinion after prestigious title is given out

TV presenter and famous Fulham fan Richard Osman has sent a message regarding Whites' striker Aleksandar Mitrovic after Time magazine announced their person of the year.

The honour this year went to teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg for her tireless work but Osman, the co-host of 'Pointless', believed that the Whites' talisman should feel hard done by.

In a tongue-in-cheek Tweet, Osman said in reference to the announcement: "This is a real kick in the nuts for Aleksandar Mitrovic."

Mitrovic has been the club's star marksman for two-and-a-half seasons now and he notched his 16th Championship goal on Tuesday night, although Scott Parker's side suffered their second defeat on the bounce.

Sean Maguire fired the hosts in front inside 30 minutes when Fulham failed to clear a corner before both sides were reduced to ten men before half-time.

David Nugent notched the second for Alex Neil's side after half-time before Mitrovic pulled one back, but it was not to be enough for the South West Londoners.

The verdict

If nothing else this once again emphasises the huge esteem in which Mitrovic is held in on the banks of the Thames.

It is hard to imagine that Fulham would be anywhere near as high as they are in the second-tier at the moment without the marksman. He is comfortably the best forward in the league and tying him to a new deal in the summer is looking more important by the week.

You have to imagine that if they hadn't he could well be on his way in January.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/famous-fulham-fan-offers-aleksandar-mitrovic-opinion-after-prestigious-title-is-given-out/

WhiteJC

Leeds and Fulham in race for Scotland-based midfielder

Leeds United and Fulham are both interested in a potential move for Hamilton Academical midfielder Reegan Mimnaugh, a report from the Glasgow Times has claimed.

Mimnaugh made his senior debut for the Scottish Premier League side against Celtic in January, and his since gone onto make ten appearances in all competitions for the club, although only two of those appearances have come this season, both in the Scottish League Cup.

Despite that, it is thought that the Championship duo have maintained an interest in the teenager thanks to his performances for Hamilton's reserves side, with a number of other Scottish clubs continuing to keep tabs on his situation.

It is also said that Premier League outfit Tottenham are currently monitoring Mimnaugh's situation, as they apparently consider a possible move.

The 17-year-old's current contract with Hamilton is set to expire at the end of this season, meaning he could be available on a reduced price deal in January.

The Verdict

This is an interesting one.

That Mimnaugh has dropped out of Hamilton's senior side this season may raise one or two concerns about how ready he is for senior football, although the fact that he has already made that step up at such a young age does highlight the potential he has.

Indeed, the level of interest – both in terms of the number and profile of clubs monitoring the teenager – certainly seems to indicate that there is a reason for these sides to be watching the midfielder, meaning this could yet be a coup for any club that may win the race for his signature.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/leeds-and-fulham-in-race-for-scotland-based-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Vintage Bus Returns On Christmas Day

Offering residents of Putney & Roehampton a free lift between 9.30am and 3.30pm

Christmas Day is the one day of the year that no buses run in London, but once again, this year a free bus service will run on route 430 between Roehampton and Putney Bridge. It will be staffed by volunteers using a 1950s vintage RT bus. This service is the brainchild of Richard Shirley who owns the bus: "My friends and I will be providing a free vintage bus service on route 430 between Roehampton and Putney Bridge. We're doing this for fun, goodwill, and to promote our vintage bus hire".

The service will run hourly, leaving Roehampton Danebury Avenue from 09:30 until 15:30, and Putney Bridge Station from 10:00 until 16:00. In the morning the buses leaving Roehampton at 09:30, 10:30 and 11:30 will continue all the way to South Kensington, returning from South Kensington at 10:40, 11:40 and 12:40. Buses will stop at any route 430 bus stop.

Richard invites Putney and Roehamoton residents to hop on: "So do come out and visit a pub, church, friends and family, enjoy a walk by the river or in Richmond Park, or just bring the children for a ride. It's Christmas Day and the journey's on us!"

Why Putney?
" You might wonder why I chose Putney: I grew up in Fulham, where my father was a Church of England Priest and my mother a primary school teacher, so we were very involved in our local community, and had a sense of public service. I often return to Fulham to watch Fulham FC at Craven Cottage. I now live near Kingston Hill, so Putney is one of my local centres, and I'm there regularly. I wanted to find a route that connected people with a local centre where at least some of the pubs are open on Christmas Day, and there are plenty of churches. The route needed to be long enough to be some use, but short enough to run at a reasonable frequency with one vehicle. I have had an affection and affinity for the Putney and Roehampton area ever since making childhood trips by bus from Fulham to Putney Heath or Richmond Park."

http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?section=info&page=convintagebus003.htm

WhiteJC

Fulham plot shock transfer swoop for Leeds United outcast

Jack Clarke could be on his way out of Leeds United this January, with Fulham reportedly setting their sights on the out-of-favour winger.

Leeds nurtured Clarke's talent through their academy system, before unleashing him on the first-team last season, where he returned two goals and two assists under Marcelo Bielsa.

That prompted Tottenham to make a move for him in the summer, but with Clarke heading straight back to Elland Road for a season on loan.

However, he's managed only 19 minutes of Championship football this season under Bielsa, who is blessed with Helder Costa, Jack Harrison and Pablo Hernandez in the wide areas.

Football Insider note that with Tottenham weighing up a recall for Clarke, Fulham are ready to swoop, as they look to bolster Scott Parker's hand for the second-half of the season.

Widespread interest in Clarke is expected to come in the Championship, with note to how he impacted Leeds' promotion push last season, particularly around the festive period, when he scored goals against Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest.

Currently, Fulham sit 11 points adrift of Leeds and West Bromwich Albion, who are opening up an impressive gap in the Championship's promotion race.

The Verdict

This is a little bit of a shock development and one that will divide Leeds' fanbase.

Yes, Clarke isn't playing and him moving on wouldn't be too much of a blow, but if he heads to a rival and hits the ground running, he could be a real weapon for someone like Fulham.

We know he can rip full-backs to pieces with his pace, he just needs a little bit of game time.

Whether that would come at Fulham with Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Aboubakar Kamara on the books remains to be seen.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-plot-shock-transfer-swoop-for-leeds-united-outcast/

WhiteJC

Fulham plotting swoop for Leeds United loanee

Fulham are plotting a move for Leeds United loanee Jack Clarke from Tottenham Hotspur.

The London side are eager to bolster their attacking options by bringing him to Craven Cottage in January, according to a report by Football Insider.

Clarke, who is 19 years-old, has been frozen out by Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa this season and has made just one appearance in the Championship.

He left Elland Road over the summer to join Spurs for a fee in the region of Β£10 million but was loaned back out to the Yorkshire outfit as part of the deal.

However, due to his lack of first team opportunities, Jose Mourinho's side are set to recall him next month and potentially loan him back out to a club in the second tier.

Fulham are currently 3rd in the league and have promotion aspirations of their own. Clarke helped Leeds get in the Play-Offs last season and would be a useful acquisition for Scott Parker's men.

Clarke was born in York and rose up through the youth ranks with the Whites before making his senior debut in October 2018 in a league fixture against Brentford.

He went on to make 25 appearances last season under Bielsa, chipping in with two goals.

Many are surprised at his lack of game time this term on loan at Leeds and a move to Fulham could be on the cards for him now.

https://the72.co.uk/151552/fulham-plotting-swoop-for-leeds-united-loanee/

WhiteJC

MOT View: Hopefully Leeds player doesn't come back to haunt club based on Jan transfer report

If there is one team from the chasing pack that can catch up with Leeds United and West Brom, it's Fulham.

As it stands, the Yorkshire giants and their West Midlands title rivals are running away from the rest of the pack and sit 11 points clear of third-placed Fulham.

However there is still plenty of time to go before the season ends – and that means there is plenty of time for things to go wrong.

Automatic promotion to the Premier League is by no means a dead-cert and Fulham are bound to be a team who will go big in the January transfer window in order to close down the gap between themselves, Leeds and West Brom.

And it seems as though the Cottagers have already made plans for a January swoop to sign Jack Clarke, with Football Insider reporting that the London club is ready to make a move to sign the 19-year-old.

Clarke left Elland Road to join Tottenham on a permanent basis in the summer but instantly returned to Yorkshire on a season-long loan.

However it is understood that Spurs could cancel that loan agreement next month due to Clarke's severe lack of game-time this season.

The York-born attacker was a regular for Marcelo Bielsa last season but has only managed three appearances in all competitions this term – with only one of them coming in the Championship.

It is understandable that Tottenham would want Clarke back so they can either nurture him in their Under-23s or send him out on loan to a club that'll give him game-time.

And it seems Fulham want to be that club.

We all want to see Clarke do well, but we do not want to see him do well at Fulham otherwise he could come back to haunt Leeds in the second half of the campaign.

There's still a lot of matches left to play this season and nobody can rule out a late Fulham resurgence and – admittedly – a Leeds collapse.

https://motleedsnews.com/comment/mot-view-hopefully-leeds-player-doesnt-come-back-to-haunt-club-based-on-jan-transfer-report/

WhiteJC

Brentford's Josh Dasilva looking to kick on from Cardiff win against Fulham

Brentford showed their promotion credentials with a hard fought 2-1 win over Cardiff City says Josh Dasilva.

Goals from Bryan Mbeumo and Ollie Watkins gave the Bees' a victory that took them to within a point of the play-offs and it was much needed on the back of defeat at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Having seen a first half lead slip at Hillsborough it was vital to get back to winning ways at Griffin Park, especially after Marlon Pack struck to give the Bluebirds hope.

"It's good to bounce back, 100%," Dasilva said.

"That's what we've done a few times this season and that was the message today, to bounce back from a fairly disappointing result on Saturday.

"We were a bit unlucky because generally the performance wasn't bad, we should've got a point but we didn't so we took it into this game, and had to make sure we defended well and make sure they didn't get that second goal."

The 21-year-old who signed from Arsenal last season is enjoying a successful run of games in the side this season, contributing six goals in the process.

He admits though he still has much to learn in the role and against a powerful Cardiff side the presence of Pontus Jansson and Henrik Dalsgaard in defence was vital.

"I looked around me and they(Cardiff) must've had six or seven guys ten feet tall, you realise how big they are, so I thought we did well, maybe we previously we would've given them a chance but having experienced guys like Henrik and Pontus helped us a lot, they help us gets through games.

"Their experience, their leadership, they talk to me, help me.

"My defence is something I'm working on a lot and improving, and they reiterate that to me on the pitch."

Signing a four-year contract last in 2018 the left-footer felt Brentford was the place to grow his game, and although many are already talking the midfielder up, the man himself opts not to set target's in what he feels will be a break out season.

"I literally take it game by game, if I start putting a target on the number of goals or assists then I put pressure on myself, I think first and foremost is to put in a good performance, then if I get goals then I'm happy."

Brentford welcome Fulham to Griffin park on Saturday knowing if they get one over their rivals they will go above them in the table and into the play-off spots.

"I'm buzzing for Saturday," he said.

"When you've got payers like Said (Benraham), Ollie (Watkins), Bryan (Mbeumo), Kamo (Mokotjo), Christian (Norgaard), Mathias (Jensen) it's a joy to play with.

"We all make it easier to each other, we understand each other more, we enjoy our football and long may it continue."

https://www.surreycomet.co.uk/sport/18099381.brentfords-josh-dasilva-looking-kick-cardiff-win-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham preview and pub guide: Griffin Park awaits penultimate west London derby

Fulham have had a solid start to life back in the Championship following relegation from the Premier League in May.

They have gone on runs of wins – but also winless runs – and arrive for their final game at Griffin Park, on Saturday, third in the table but 11 points behind leading duo Leeds and West Brom.

Over the course of the campaign they have won four in a row, three in a row and two in a row, but also had one winless sequence of four matches and have lost both their games this week.

They have been slightly stronger at home with six wins and two draws from 11 league matches, while away they have won four, drawn three and lost three of 10 games.

Fulham are in their fifth season in the Championship in six years, after their 13-year spell in the Premier League ended in 2014.

They mostly finished in the bottom half of the table during their top flight stay, although they did have four seasons when they came between seventh and ninth and in 2010 reached the Europa League final, where they lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid after extra-time.

WHO'S IN CHARGE

Scott Parker was appointed permanent manager in the summer, following a spell as caretaker boss following the dismissal of Claudio Ranieri in February.

Parker had been the club's first-team coach since 2018 after moving from Spurs, where he had coached their under-18 squad following his retirement as a playerΒ  a year earlier.

As a midfielder, Parker won 18 full caps for England, and nine at under-21 level. He started all four matches in the Euro 2012 finals.

In his playing career, he had long spells with Charlton, West Ham and Fulham and also played for Norwich (on loan), Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs.

WE'VE MET BEFORE

Brentford have had the upper hand in the four seasons in which the sides have met in the Championship.

We won both the 2014/15 matches – 2-1 at home (Jota in the last minute) and 4-1 at the Cottage (in front of 6,000 travelling Bees), although we did lose a second round Capital One Cup tie 1-0 at Griffin Park.

We drew 2-2 at Fulham just before Christmas the following season, before winning the return 3-0 at the end of the campaign.

In 2016/17, the Cottagers grabbed their only league win so far in this series in a televised GP enounter, as a goal in each half from Sone Aluko and Tom Cairney, in second half stoppage time, gave the Cottagers a 2-0 win.

A first half penalty save by Daniel Bentley from Tom Cairney, and a stop from the follow-up, ensured the Bees drew 1-1 at Fulham at the end of April. Cairney gave them an early lead but Nico Yennaris equalised after a one-two with Konstantin Kerschbaumer.

We last met in 2017/18 and despite Neeskens Kebano putting Fulham ahead midway through the first half at GP, Sergi Canos quickly equalised and then Romaine Sawyers put us ahead shortly after half-time. Denis Odoi was then sent off before Ollie Watkins' third sealed a 3-1 win.

Aleksander Mitrovic put Fulham ahead in the 70th minute of the late-season return, but Neal Maupay's last-gasp equaliser earned us a point in a 1-1 draw.

OPPOSITION VIEW

BBC London reporter and commentator Emma Jones tells us how Fulham's season has gone so far, analyses the job Scott Parker has done since taking charge and what it's like watching matches at a three-sided Craven Cottage.

Q – How would you assess Fulham's season so far – better than expected, worse than expected, or as expected?

A – I think a lot of people were expecting Fulham to hit the ground running – and not let up. So to lose against Barnsley on the first day of the season was something of a wake-up call. Being in the play-off places is the least that is expected.

Q – How good a job has Scott Parker done since taking over at the club last season?

A – It is still early days – but he seems like a good fit for Fulham. He knows the club and its expectations – and is well aware of what success or failure means to the fans too. He likes his team to keep the ball – or win it back quickly if they lose it – which you can see from some impressive possession statistics already this season.

Q – What transfer business – in and out – did Fulham do over the summer?

A – Scott Parker has pretty much gone back to basics from the team relegated from the Premier League, and reverted quite closely to the squad promoted the season before – with a few loan additions from Premier League teams. The club's best business though has been keeping Mitrovic.

Q – What's it like watching matches at Craven Cottage this season in a three-sided ground and is it affecting the matches?

A – The Riverside Stand has gradually disappeared during the early home games this season. And last time I was there it was there at the end of November it was just some rubble and a few cranes. It does mean that the ground it exposed directly to the bitter winds that can whip off the Thames, so it can feel even colder than it tends to at this time of year! In terms of atmosphere, with the ground missing one big stand, I am sure it will feel different.

Q – What style of football should Brentford fans expect to see from Fulham?

A – Patient build-up play, lots of possession, crosses from the full backs, plus players pushing through central midfield and Mitrovic being a challenge to defend in the 18 yard box

Q – Which players should we watch out for?

A – Mitrovic. Do you need to ask why?!

Q – Finally, can you give me a possible Fulham starting line-up and formation?

A – Scott has been using Rodak in goal recently – a back four of LB – Joe Bryan, CD – Alfie Mawson and Tim Ream – RB – Cyrus Christie or Josh Onomah Midfield =Β  Johansen, Cairney, Harrison Reed ( if he is back from injury )Β  Up front – KamaraΒ  and Cavaleiro on the wings – Mitrovic as CF

IAN WESTBROOK

@ianwestbrook

PUBS IN BRENTFORD AND TRAVEL NEWS

For Fulham fans coming to Griffin Park for the final time, you are probably aware there plenty of pub options pre-match and all are most welcoming and away-fan-friendly (as it should be). As you are probably well aware, Brentford is well known for its four pubs – one on each corner of the ground. The Griffin is closest to the away end (like 30 secs walk) and is very popular with away fans – but also very, very busy. The New Inn is on the other side and is also popular with away fans. The Princess Royal and the newly-opened and renamed The Brook pub – which has jumped on the craft beer bandwagon – are the other options.

Other pubs slightly further afield for the more creative amongst you include (and this is by no means a definitive list) .... The Globe (Windmill Rd) & The Lord Nelson (Enfield Rd) are both incredibly friendly and cosy away-friendly pubs and about 1 min walk from each other .... frequented by 'away fans in the know'. The Plough (Northfields Ave) in Northfields is a decent stop-off if you are coming by tube to Northfields.

The 'Northfields run' makes a much better pub crawl route than South Ealing – getting off at Northfields station, turning left and stopping off at The Plough (2 min walk), The Lord Nelson (10 min walk from The Plough) & The Globe (1 min walk from The Nelson) en-route before ending up at The Griffin (8 min walk from The Globe) by the away turnstiles. There's also a relatively new tiny microbrewery pub in Northfields called The Owl and The Pussycat (Northfields Ave) – right turn out of the station away from the ground as opposed to left.

If you decide to get off at South Ealing station, we've heard a few people pop into Roddy's Bar. Whereas The Ealing Park Tavern (back in the day, the infamous Penny Flyer) is fairly busy now that they seem to have lifted their "no football fan" policy.

If you like your craft beer, another fairly new pub worth checking out is The Black Dog Beer House, formerly The Albany, on Albany Road, which is fairly busy before and after the match. There is a pub right by Brentford mainline station referred to as ... the Pub by Brentford station.

For real ale head to the Magpie and Crown pub on Brentford High Street. The Royal Horseguardsman (Ealing Road) can probably hold 15 of you at a push. The Brewery Tap (Catherine Wheel Road) is a cosy boozer by the river. And if you are super-adventurous, get off at Kew Bridge and visit One Over the Ait (Kew Bridge Road) – a spacious boozer right next to Kew Bridge, and across from the site of the Bees' new stadium at Lionel Road. This pub is situated on the location of the now-demolished Oxford & Cambridge pub where Brentford Football Club was founded in 1889.

There is also The Express Tavern (Kew Bridge Road) – an ale pub with a retro feel. If you sit in the garden, you can see Brentford's new stadium towering over you. There are a load more pubs in the river in Kew if that takes your fancy – just take a walk down Strand On The Green. A quick Google search and you'll find them all.

There are many, many more too if you have a look around. Parking near the stadium is a no-no but is pretty easy in the streets north of Griffin Park on the other side of the A4 Great West Rd via Ealing Road or Windmill Road. Make sure you look our for the parking signs which change from area to area.

Getting to Brentford from town – many fans get the tube to Waterloo (Northern, Jubilee lines) or Vauxhall (Victoria Line) then take the Overground train to Brentford.

The reality is the tube is easier and quicker (and cheaper). It's 35 minutes to South Ealing or Northfields stations from King's Cross or Euston (even less from Paddington) on the Piccadilly Line and then 15 minutes walk to Griffin Park from there (4 mins on the bus) – more if you take the Northfields to Brentford pub crawl outlined above (Plough, Lord Nelson, Globe, Griffin) of course.

If you're feeling lazy you could take the E2 bus from outside Northfields station (turn LEFT outside the station) to either outside The Globe pub (3 stops – serves The Lord Nelson too) or Brentford FC (4 stops – 5 minutes).

If you get off at South Ealing, you can get the 65 from the bus stop across the road – right outside the station.

You can check out Transport for London's guide to travel on the Tube and Overground.

https://beesotted.com/fulham-preview-and-pub-guide-december-2019/