watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Your memories of Brentford?

Started by love4ffc, December 13, 2019, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Starting a new FoF feature.  For every upcoming match we would love to hear about your favorite, worse, funny or not so funny memory about that upcoming opponent. 

For example, my best Brentford memory would be for the 2016/2017 season.  I was in London with the wife and we made plans to attend the Brentford match at Griffin Park.  We started early at the Griffin Pub.  Had a great burger that was cooked out on the back patio.  Stood outside as it was to packed inside the pub.  While outside we meet fellow FoF member Scumpy and friends.  Had several pints with them before we went into the match where we where meeting up with another fellow FoF member Carborundum and his son. 

We all sat in the away section behind the goal and had a fantastic night as Sone Aluko scored in the first half and Tom in the second half.  This was back when Chris Martin was playing up top for us and he really did nothing during the match. 

I'll never forget that goal by Tom.  We were in overtime and really was fearing that Brentford was going to equalize.  Tom drilled one of his classic left footed shots into the upper corner and sent all of us cheering and screaming on our feet.  Last my voice during that. 

To top of the night as we were leaving, I heard my name called out.  Looked around to find a fantastic family we had meet years earlier in Jacksonville, Florida.  We had meet when Khan Sr had brought Fulham over to play an exhibition match against the MLS team DC United. 

It was a brilliant night for me.  Got to see Fulham win in an away fixture.  Got to meet up with two different FoF members and I got to reconnect with a local family who I still stay in touch with to this date.   :wine:

So, tell us what your memories are of the Bees. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

HillingdonFFC

Saw my first ever Fulham away game there in 1980. I remember it vividly, there was gaps appearing on the old big home end & being a bit naive I had to ask my dad what was going on?, they're fighting son. Was a similar tale the following year in our promotion year.
Brentford as rivals is a generation & geographical thing. My dads era dont really class them as rivals as we went best part of 30 years without playing  them, similar to some of the younger lot who grew up on the premier league, but for those of us around my area, & there's a few who remember that period from 86-98 the rivalry is very real.
Had some great days there, Ivor in 1980, Peter O'sullivan 81, Michael Cole, Phil Stant winner, Rob Haworth etc. Some major disappointment too with the 4-0, Jota in the last minute, Jazz Richards debacle where I buggered off to the pub at halftime but a game that really sticks out is the Autoglass game around 95. It was surreal.
I remember a Chelsea fan called Phil from work coming, he said what sort of crowd expected & many Fulham going? I said about 1500 with a couple of hundred of us. We took a half day & got in the New Inn about 1pm where we got stuck right in to the beers. Fulham fans were coming in all afternoon & I remember  Chelsea Phil saying blimey every Fulham fan going must be in here tonight.
When we staggered out of there we walked down New Road & on turning the corner saw a massive queue snaking up & down the road. I was stunned ,a few police & stewards where trying to control the crowd saying Brentford had only opened one away turnstile as they only expected a smattering of Fulham fans. Got into the ground 15 mins after kick off and the away end was packed, not like the restricted 1600 they let in now but proper rammed. It was a edgy steamy atmosphere in there & when Nick Cusack scored via a major ricket from their keeper the end went mental. Think the crowd was about 3500 & at least 2000 were Fulham.
One of my Brentford mates ended up getting a slap on the New Road terrace when a few Fulham started kicking off in there,  he hated Fulham anyway but has detested us since that night

SuffolkWhite

Was there in 81 for that o'Sullivan goal, what a goal that was we went mad.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Ronnief

Having been taken to Kingstonians in my early years my first ever Professional match I ever attended was at Griffin Park when I was a St Georges Ambulance Cadet.  I was sat in the corner of the stand level with the goal line but other than that I have no memory of who won or the score.  Thank goodness in 1957 I went to Craven Cottage and have been doing so ever since.

fluffyninja

First game was against Brentford at the cottage in 80 or 81 , pretty sure we lost but my Dad's side of the family are all from Fulham & Mum's from Brentford so it's always been the biggest game for me of any season and I really missed playing them in the prem years.

I went to the Kevin O'connor friendly game after Hamburg and actually felt sorry for them for a few seconds as we thrashed them 5-0 , they were still playing micky mouse football in league one.

Our record against them is pretty poo , and it's the biggest source of banter at school , work and in life !

The one I remember is 88-89 I think 3-3 at the cottage , Gary Blissett knocked Jim Stannard out in front of the hammy and Ooh Gary Barnett scored a great lob , had the game on VHS tape until recently.

8,120 attendance that day , for a local derby !! We played them in the league cup (2 legs) and in the sherpa vans trophy (how many went to that ?) oh happy days we even managed to win away at Griffin Park.

Things have now changed they're a good team playing well and a serious threat to us with a new ground next year you wouldn't bet against them getting promoted , I would hate it , what I would love though is the opportunity to win the final game at the place that has caused a fair bit of misery over the years for me.

If I can't have that I'll take a play off semi final or final against them at the end of the season ... COYW

Milo

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

Russianrob

I saw a game at the Cottage a few years ago and the final score was Fulham 1-3 Brentford.Can anyone tell me when this was?

bobbo

I can't remember my first away match , but t was around 1959 . BUT when and if we ever play Carlisle away again I got a good story re the away game 1975 in the cup 1/4 final.
1975 just leaving home full of hope