Parker Out!
97 (56.7%)
Give him more time
74 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 171

fulhamben

Quote from: hovewhite on December 15, 2019, 06:52:27 AM
Quote from: I Ronic on December 14, 2019, 11:39:18 PM
How many Managers have we had since Cookie? How many were any good?
I don't remember many thinking Roy would be a success and it took a while for things to turn around as it did for SJ.
We don't have a team (under any manager) that's Premiership quality or a ground for that matter.
For me he stays.

tend to agree
hmm don't agree with that. Roy joined just before new year and masterminded the great escape by may. In contrast Parker has had over 30 games and we are getting worse.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: fulhamben on December 15, 2019, 09:14:09 AM
I don't remember many thinking Roy would be a success and it took a while for things to turn around as it did for SJ.
We don't have a team (under any manager) that's Premiership quality or a ground for that matter.
For me he stays.

tend to agree
hmm don't agree with that. Roy joined just before new year and masterminded the great escape by may. In contrast Parker has had over 30 games and we are getting worse.

Bit harsh to lump the end of the Premiership fiasco on Parker and of course we are often told the friendlies are meaningless.

toshes mate

If Parker is honest and has a conscience then he should be saying to himself 'if I do not turn this around in the next game against Leeds then I have to quit because I am holding this team back by my coaching methods'.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: toshes mate on December 15, 2019, 10:33:23 AM
If Parker is honest and has a conscience then he should be saying to himself 'if I do not turn this around in the next game against Leeds then I have to quit because I am holding this team back by my coaching methods'.

True!
There's no reason why he can't be successful with us but he has to accept his plan ain't working and he needs to adjust his methods and change his teams approach to playing fast!
We have already missed the bus to automatic promotion and we now risk falling out of contention when top 3 should have been a given.

fulhamben

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 15, 2019, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on December 15, 2019, 09:14:09 AM
For me he stays.

tend to agree

Bit harsh to lump the end of the Premiership fiasco on Parker and of course we are often told the friendlies are meaningless.
roy arguably inherited more of a fiasco then Parker did. Parker has no pressure on him as I don't think anyone expected us to stay up by the time we took over. So he had a dozen games to see what's what, the whole summer and pre season, the summer window and 20 games and we are going backwards.

Nero

If Parker was Murphy would we allow him more time? I think the problem with parker is that this is his 1st Managerial Role he's not even been an Assistant Manager somewhere be it to U18 U23s or 1st team, we are pretty much learning on the job. Now if I thought he may show some loyalty should a bigger fish come calling I might be inclined to give him that time. But I think he's shown already he's willing to jump to the next step as soon as it comes calling, leaving us for Spurs then leaving Spurs for us if it progressing his career.

fulhamben

Quote from: Nero on December 15, 2019, 01:05:36 PM
If Parker was Murphy would we allow him more time? I think the problem with parker is that this is his 1st Managerial Role he's not even been an Assistant Manager somewhere be it to U18 U23s or 1st team, we are pretty much learning on the job. Now if I thought he may show some loyalty should a bigger fish come calling I might be inclined to give him that time. But I think he's shown already he's willing to jump to the next step as soon as it comes calling, leaving us for Spurs then leaving Spurs for us if it progressing his career.

no I wouldn't give Murphy extra time. It's not personal imo, he is just doing a bad job

toshes mate

I have backed Parker to retain his job until the end of the season simply because a) I am fearful of the Khans' inability to recruit successfully and b) he has given me the impression he is by no means a worse case proof of a).  However, I am somewhat unconvinced by the mantra he offers to Jamie Reid on FFCtv, where he seems to believe blame, criticism and finger pointing go with the territory and should therefore be dismissed, as he cushions himself and his team behind 'togetherness'.  Now I'd have thought that August to December (four full months) was more than enough time to engender togetherness not just in an eleven man team but in a full squad.   He 'big's up' Onomah which is really on the flimsiest evidence imaginable i.e. he is getting better.  He's lost himself in some imaginary world where external anger at his job performance is firmly based upon what happened with 'fickle' supporters three weeks ago as compared to now.  He didn't see a bad performance at Griffin Park, he saw passion and fight from his players against a good side.  No mention of the last three performances in games not being good enough, just a blip in his opinion.  Knocks another ten marks of my score for him and he is now close to the line I have drawn where my doubts exceed my confidence levels.  He needs to be more truthful to himself because supporters pay good money to keep him in a job.  The criticisms are all valid, Mr Parker, and doubt it at your peril.

Matt10

Quote from: toshes mate on December 15, 2019, 01:41:40 PM
I have backed Parker to retain his job until the end of the season simply because a) I am fearful of the Khans' inability to recruit successfully and b) he has given me the impression he is by no means a worse case proof of a).  However, I am somewhat unconvinced by the mantra he offers to Jamie Reid on FFCtv, where he seems to believe blame, criticism and finger pointing go with the territory and should therefore be dismissed, as he cushions himself and his team behind 'togetherness'.  Now I'd have thought that August to December (four full months) was more than enough time to engender togetherness not just in an eleven man team but in a full squad.   He 'big's up' Onomah which is really on the flimsiest evidence imaginable i.e. he is getting better.  He's lost himself in some imaginary world where external anger at his job performance is firmly based upon what happened with 'fickle' supporters three weeks ago as compared to now.  He didn't see a bad performance at Griffin Park, he saw passion and fight from his players against a good side.  No mention of the last three performances in games not being good enough, just a blip in his opinion.  Knocks another ten marks of my score for him and he is now close to the line I have drawn where my doubts exceed my confidence levels.  He needs to be more truthful to himself because supporters pay good money to keep him in a job.  The criticisms are all valid, Mr Parker, and doubt it at your peril.

That's one point of view, and just goes to show how we interpret a message differently. I found it honest and sincere. He didn't hide behind any common sayings, he gave it how it is and spoke with passion. Noone can deny just how fickle supporters are to players and managers. Those players and managers are just temporary and the question for them is always "What have you done for me lately?". I'm glad Parker stated the obvious. He knows the environment he's in, the players know what environment they are in. It's now about what they're going to do to respond, and no amount of temporary acceptance is going to sway them. As he said, they can choose to hide and play the blame game, or they can choose to fight and show their character. For me, that works, but the question is how will he be able to get it to an actionable, matchday result. Looking forward to it as always.

RaySmith

I like Matt's post.

I'm sure that how  a player or manager perceives how their team has played in a game is often a lot different from how fans perceive it.

Where the fans see lack f effort, and a  don't care attitude when they would probably pay to wear the shirt, the player and manager probably  thinks they gave it their very best shot, and are gutted by the result, but just weren't good enough, or  things just didn't go their way.

One thing a player  must learn early, or any athlete, is how to deal with failure - which is inevitable: you sometimes lose. However good you are, you  will  fail on occasion, and have to deal with it, as well as  accepting the garlands and applause  when you win.

I do admire  Parker's honesty and passion for the game and the club, and his belief in and support of his players. I'm glad he  doesn't just blame or slag off certain players for bad results and performances - not in public anyway, and find this admirable.

I respect Scott Parker as a man and a manager, who does his best for the club, and very much wants success for the club and himself, as he did as a player.

Whitesideup

Yes, I like both Matt and Ray's responses. I liked most of SP's post-match comments and think we should stick with him. However, I do hope that he has the tactical nous to recognize this is not just a side that was a bit short of confidence and just had a bit of an off day. Yes, they need to pick themselves up and get back to more positive performances, but I sincerely hope that he finds a way to get the most out of what are talented players. Cav and Knockaert are not delivering for whatever reason. The balance, formation, structure of the team is, as everyone seems to agree, not quite there yet and he as head coach should also be aware of that. If he does, he has chosen not to mention it which is just a shade worrying. Interesting few games coming up.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on December 15, 2019, 01:41:40 PM
Just watched the post match re4action from him you mention. very dismissive of things. hes maybe right, its just one of those things, its football, it happens. But lets not think over those 4 wins we were drolling over the football because we were not. I think we can all agree that actual; games we ahev walked away from this season thinking that was really great are limited.
As for Onomah. in teh second half when he went deeper on his own he was better, he was maybe one of the very fait bright sparks, but dont for one second tell me that showed what a good player he is, because it didnt.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on December 16, 2019, 04:02:48 AM
I found [the interview with Jamie Read] honest and sincere. He didn't hide behind any common sayings, he gave it how it is and spoke with passion. Noone can deny just how fickle supporters are to players and managers. Those players and managers are just temporary and the question for them is always "What have you done for me lately?". I'm glad Parker stated the obvious. He knows the environment he's in, the players know what environment they are in. It's now about what they're going to do to respond, and no amount of temporary acceptance is going to sway them. As he said, they can choose to hide and play the blame game, or they can choose to fight and show their character. For me, that works, but the question is how will he be able to get it to an actionable, matchday result. Looking forward to it as always.
What has 'knowing the environment' got to do with anything?  No one coerced these people into some awful exposed position and environment - they freely chose it and get well paid by any account.  Why should anyone in entertainment find fault with their paying audience since they offer a product for sale and should expect to be criticised by those who feel they have been sold short?  The only team I have seen Parker field that has shown real flair as compared to anything marginally better than a fairly mediocre football standard was against Millwall.  Even then I felt our opponents had opportunities to change the game and the result before our players put of a fluid and dynamic show which was probably absolutely nothing to do with Parker's training methods.  I have remained patient with Parker but I do not like hearing any manager/coach/owner abusing supporters by dismissing them when the chips are down.  His character, IMO, is highly suspect and I expected better.  Let's just see the response against Leeds, and, in the meantime tarry with the question 'why didn't it happen against Brentford then?' a point high up on Parker's list in his pre-match hyperbole.  I am angry that Parker dared to be so two faced in a shielded interview by someone who doesn't have a reputation for asking awkward questions.   Parker was openly disingenuous. 

grandad

The feeling is that we should waste money paying off SP.
Bring in a journeyman manager, whoever that might be.
Bring in new coaching staff.
Change the style completely which could take weeks to bed in.
Have no guarantee that we would finish in the play offs.
Have to be subjected to the manager out brigade again should we not get in the play offs.
No thanks.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bill taylors apprentice

If he wises up and see's a change in tactics and teamwork are needed I think he has the players to improve performances.

But that's the problem, will he continue down this blind ally or unleash the talent we have.

Better to set up the team to win high scoring games and risk dropping points than continue with this dross!

SuffolkWhite

It is a change of tact that is needed and I hope Parker sorts it. I feel like s broken record on here but keep saying more tempo and try different formations. But then I am a fickle fan I guess.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

HV71

This thread has, over the past eight  or so posts, become the sensible thread - with good reasoned arguments. We need to sort our current form and situation out quickly, as MJG rightly points out the 4 consecutive wins were not exactly inspiring. - tactics surely need to be changed  and the players need to move up to the plate . I personally believe we should give Parker more time - but only if he begins to adapt. We removed one of our best ever managers fir being too stubborn ( he had at least earned the right to have his playing style convictions ) Parker has not yet achieved that level.  However , a change of manager is another huge gamble - on top of which this season - at best - will surely leave us with the lottery of the playoffs. Time to reflect and probably time to stick

Chesh

Until Saturday, I thought Parker should be given a chance to build his team and pattern of play over a longer period in the hope that recent backward steps were more blips than the norm.

However, it is now clear to me that the norm is just muddling around trying to graft out a result (or not) and the blips are when teams are too frightened by our 'reputation' e.g. Millwall - which was one of the worst away performances I have ever seen in over 45 years.

My main observations would be:

1) I'm all for patient build up play, with the intention of pulling the opposition around to create openings and chances, but it is pretty clear now that our players are encouraged to keep the ball for the sake of it with no real intent.

The amount of times this season the ball has gone to & fro between Ream and Mawson, with no movement in midfield to play between the lines, and then, particularly on Saturday a few times, ending up with one of them aimlesslessly lumping it forward and losing possession anyway - what's the point?
The passing around should be happening between Cairney, Johansen and one other, with our supposedly potent forwards  making intelligent movement.

2) Again, since the beginning of the season, Knockaert and Cavaleiro should be encouraged to take players on - take a chance high up the pitch and be positive.

But no, Cavaleiro in particular has been so pedestrian, and has obviously been told to check back whenever he approaches someone, rather than take them on, and Knockaert's head seems all over the place with whatever instructions he has been given.

It's a waste of tried and tested talent, and most criminally a waste of Mitrovic.

3) Parker talked of passion before the game, and bragging rights. Sorry, but that was pathetic and embarrassing on Saturday, and one team clearly wanted it more than the other.

In summary, I think I've seen enough, and even though it's probably too late to mount an automatic promotion challenge, there is still a chance to turn the play-offs into something more than the lottery we are heading towards.

Having said that, we have to find someone else before pulling the trigger, because we can't have another situation like when Symons went, and right now I don't know who - but that's what we have a director of football for, right?
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Statto

Quote from: Chesh on December 16, 2019, 10:25:49 AM
Until Saturday, I thought Parker should be given a chance to build his team and pattern of play over a longer period in the hope that recent backward steps were more blips than the norm.

However, it is now clear to me that the norm is just muddling around trying to graft out a result (or not) and the blips are when teams are too frightened by our 'reputation' e.g. Millwall - which was one of the worst away performances I have ever seen in over 45 years.

1) I'm all for patient build up play, with the intention of pulling the opposition around to create openings and chances, but it is pretty clear now that our players are encouraged to keep the ball for the sake of it with no real intent.

The amount of times this season the ball has gone to & fro between Ream and Mawson, with no movement in midfield to play between the lines, and then, particularly on Saturday a few times, ending up with one of them aimlesslessly lumping it forward and losing possession anyway - what's the point?
The passing around should be happening between Cairney, Johansen and one other, with our supposedly potent forwards  making intelligent movement.

2) Again, since the beginning of the season, Knockaert and Cavaleiro should be encouraged to take players on - take a chance high up the pitch and be positive.

But no, Cavaleiro in particular has been so pedestrian, and has obviously been told to check back whenever he approaches someone, rather than take them on, and Knockaert's head seems all over the place with whatever instructions he has been given.

It's a waste of tried and tested talent, and most criminally a waste of Mitrovic.

3) Parker talked of passion before the game, and bragging rights. Sorry, but that was pathetic and embarrassing on Saturday, and one team clearly wanted it more than the other.

In summary, I think I've seen enough, and even though it's probably too late to mount an automatic promotion challenge, there is still a chance to turn the play-offs into something more than the lottery we are heading towards.

Having said that, we have to find someone else before pulling the trigger, because we can't have another situation like when Symons went, and right now I don't know who - but that's what we have a director of football for, right?

Excellent summary. 100% agree.

colinwhite

Quote from: Chesh on December 16, 2019, 10:25:49 AM

Cant argue with much of that Chesh.Refreshing to find someone being constructive in this situation and not just bleating "parker out" as the solution to all our problems. If we do change manager we cant do a Jocanovic to Ranieri type  of change ,as the latter was always doomed to failure with his footballing philosophy and the group of players that he inherited which were diametrically unsuited to his tactics and approach.