https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Give us your memories of Leeds

Started by love4ffc, December 18, 2019, 04:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 20, 2019, 07:17:38 AM
Quote from: love4ffc on December 18, 2019, 04:18:16 PM
Let's have your memories, stories or jokes about Leeds. 

I don't really have any memories for Leeds although I did by chance meet a gentleman who was on their board of directors.  My wife had introduced him to me by telling me he was someone I could talk with about my footballing passion as she spent her time talking shop with her peers.  After being introduced, the gentlemen wanted me to guess which club he supported and was a member of the board.  He gave me two clues.  First clue, that the club was not London based.  Second clue, the club was one of the largest in England and that they had spent most of their time in the Premier League until they fell on some financial times. 

My reply was Portsmouth.  Well, the look on the man's face made me think he was about to hit me and I could tell he was very offended by my guess.  He looked at me with his sourpuss face and gruffly said, Leeds United.  I apologized and told him sorry, I thought he had said a big club.  He abruptly turned and walked away without saying another word. 

My wife no longer lets me talk about football at her business functions   :010:

Outstanding story. I trust the "thought you said a big club" was said in all innocence ... or was it a deliberate wind-up? The former would make it even funnier.
To be honest I knew who Leeds were.  I had no idea about size or success of club.  Really was not trying to offend him but apparently I did  :005:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Stevieboy

I remember the 67/68 season, our last in the old First Division. Lost 0-5 at home in front of 24k+
Our 3rd home defeat on the trot, mind you that was almost the rule that season.
Finished 22nd with 27pts from a possible 84.
Now that was a miserable season, our football wasn't even entertaining.
We should count our blessings now.

049:gif 049:gif 049:gifCome On You Whites 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif