more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 22/12/19...

Started by WhiteJC, December 21, 2019, 08:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Proud Parker praises Fulham after statement against Leeds

Fulham manager Scott Parker insisted that his side's 2-1 victory over Leeds at Craven Cottage was far more important in re-establishing the morale of his side than in closing the gap on their opponents.

Fulham are now in third place in the Championship, nine points behind Leeds, yet Parker believes their victory will resonate far beyond the league table.

Parker said: "The most overriding feeling I have at this moment in time is pride. I spoke to the players before the game and said: 'You're not getting judged today on technique or what a good football player you are. There are 20,000 coming here today and people are judging you, and me, on what you are like as a man. Can you stand up when the chips are down because the chips at this moment are down?'

"Your eyes often don't lie in football. That's what people told me. Today I saw a team that was on the front foot, aggressive and determined to make a statement. A team that showed passion and desire.

"One man's strength is never greater than a team of players. The team represented me and it represented what this football club is about. That's what made me the happiest.

"Coming off three straight losses, like we were, the most important thing was putting in a performance.

"At times last week we didn't stick to our plan at Brentford, but to a man today this team executed the game plan and ultimately caused Leeds problems."

Parker praised Josh Onomah whose first goal for the club proved the difference between the two sides.

He added: "Josh has been fantastic and I am so, so pleased for him. I coached Josh when he was a 15-year-old boy at Spurs and I know what ability he's got. I know everything about him.

"He came in here and he struggled a little bit. He would admit that. Everyone seeing him over the first few weeks was sceptical and would have had a lot of doubts, but he represented everything that I spoke about today – what character does and what passion does.

"He deserved his moment. And he deserved that moment to stay 2-1, not go 3-1 or 4-1. I wanted it to stay 2-1 and for Josh to take the winning goal because he showed massive grit."

In spite of his side's defeat which followed on from last week's draw against Cardiff, Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa was far from downhearted.

He said: "We play against one of the most powerful opponents in the league. We defended well. I didn't see Fulham unbalance us today. We spoke about (Aleksandar) Mitrovic and (Ivan) Cavaleiro and how Fulham play makes them the best team in the league.

"If you analyse the statistics, it is clear that Fulham is the best team in the Championship. They play well on the counter-attack, but today they didn't damage us or create chances.

"They scored from a corner and from a penalty. They had just one more chance. We had seven or eight chances to win the match. We defend very well because we played against great attackers.

"The only thing that's a shame after the match about our team is that after we scored we conceded possession in our half more, so it was more what we allowed them to do than what they did for themselves.

"That was important because this was the moment to win the match. But if you analyse the full match, it's a little detail."

Bielsa is content to see his team in second place in the Championship midway through the season, but the Argentinian maintains his side could be in an even better position.

Bielsa added: "Our level of play has been good. I don't think we have played a match where the opponent has beaten us or has been better than us, but you look at a game like today and we could have had five more points or at least three more points.

"It's necessary to ask ourselves what would happen if hadn't missed out on some points that we deserve to win.

"It is important that teams get what they deserve, but when teams don't get what they deserve, there are some things you need to improve."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/leeds-united/news/proud-parker-praises-fulham-after-statement-against-leeds_383694.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-1 Leeds: Visitors miss out on Christmas number one as Aleksandar Mitrovic and Josh Onomah fire Scott Parker's side up to third

Mitrovic netted his 17th league goal of the season to put Fulham ahead
    Leeds levelled after the break through Patrick Bamford's tap-in on the rebound
    Josh Onomah smashed in the winner - his first goal of the season - from a corner

Outside of Craven Cottage were a merry little band playing Christmas songs. For the first time in a while, Scott Parker got a tune out of his Fulham squad, too.

It is never easy for a manager when his position is being questioned, even worse when an experienced out-of-work boss is sitting in the stands.

David Moyes was at the Cottage, watching intently and appearing to make markings on a team sheet. Perhaps he had heard of a vacancy opening up soon.

Aleksandar Mitrovic netted 17th league goal of the season from the spot to put Fulham ahead

Or perhaps he was scouting for his next job, possibly with West Ham should they relieve Manuel Pellegrini of his duties. Whatever the reason, it was intriguing.

Parker responded to three consecutive losses by picking up three valuable points, with talisman Aleksandar Mitrovic and young gun Josh Onomah scoring the goals that did the job.

Marcelo Bielsa, meanwhile, left knowing his side missed out on moving top for Christmas.

It is not all doom and gloom for Bielsa, of course. Leeds United remain nine points inside the top two, though he will remember their Christmas collapse last season all too well.

After letting a 3-0 lead slip to draw 3-3 against Cardiff last week, this was Leeds' first defeat since October, and one they never saw coming.

Within 10 seconds of kick-off, the Leeds supporters were singing Pablo Hernandez's name on repeat. Within 40, he was down on the ground, having pulled up with a hamstring problem.

Fulham midfielder Josh Onomah smashed in the winner after the ball fell for him from a corner

On came Ezgjan Alioksi as a replacement. Leeds' start to the game got even worse in the fifth minute, when referee Tim Robinson pointed to the penalty spot.

Mitrovic had volleyed a cross into the mixer for Bobby Decordova-Reid but Ben White was seen with two hands on his opponent's back, giving a slight shove.

It was soft and Leeds players protested while Mitrovic readied himself to take it.

Goalkeeper Kiko Casilla got a hand to the Serbian's subsequent shot but it went in off the post. Fulham had a surprise 1-0 lead, with a little help from the referee.

Leeds levelled after the break through Patrick Bamford's tap-in on the rebound

There was good hostility to the game; a bit of needle between both sets of players. Challenges flew in, and Mitrovic became king of the 50-50s.

Luke Ayling, already playing pantomime villain among the Fulham fans after early antics, then pushed Tom Cairney to the ground off the pitch and received a talking-to.

Leeds were unbeaten in their last 11 league games and equalised in the 54th minute, when half-time substitute Eddie Nketiah fired off a shot at Marek Rodak.

Fulham's goalkeeper could only parry the ball into the path of Patrick Bamford, who tapped in. It was game on with Nketiah, the 20-year-old on loan from Arsenal, looking particularly lively.

Yet Leeds found themselves trailing again in the 68th minute, when Mitrovic attempted an acrobatic overhead kick from a cross. He missed the ball, but Onomah didn't.

The 22-year-old put his foot through a shot, and Casilla had no chance.

Onomah had his first goal for Fulham since signing from Tottenham as part of the deal that saw Ryan Sessegnon go the other way.

There was no way back for Leeds. They remain second, nine points clear of third, but this knocked some of the stuffing out of their Christmas cheer regardless.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7817309/Fulham-2-1-Leeds-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-Josh-Onomah-fire-Scott-Parkers-third.html

WhiteJC

Leeds United's Stuart Dallas joins Andrea Radrizzani and Liam Cooper in mystified agreement over controversial Fulham penalty
LEEDS UNITED full-back Stuart Dallas admitted he was struggling to understand why Fulham were awarded a seventh-minute penalty en route to their 2-1 victory against the Whites in Saturday's Championship clash at Craven Cottage.

NEVER A PENALTY: But Aleksandar Mitrovic takes his chance to put Fulham ahead against Leeds United from the spot. Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images.

Referee Tim Robinson penalised centre-back Ben White after the defender made the slightest contact with his hands on Bobby Reid who went to ground after White's touch of his back.

Aleksandar Mitrovic converted the spot kick and whilst United equalised through Patrick Bamford nine minutes after the break, the penalty ultimately set the Cottagers up for all three points with Josh Onomah slamming home the winner from a 69th-minute corner.

Whites captain Liam Cooper and chairman Andrea Radrizzani both took to social media to vent their frustration over Robinson's decision with Cooper describing the incident as "never a penalty."

Radrizzani also highlighted video footage of White's challenge with two emojis of clapping hands above a sarcastic comment that the spot kick was a "stonewaller".

Dallas failed to outright blame the decision and match official for United's defeat and highlighted the difficult job facing referees but the Northern Ireland international could not hide just how mystified he was with Robinson pointing to the spot.

"It's not a penalty but I can't stand here and take the easy option and blame the referee," said Dallas.

"He has a hard job, we all know that but I think he will be disappointed with the decision that he has made."

Assessing the feeling leaving Fulham after a first defeat in 12 games, Dallas reasoned: "It's a feeling of disappointment I think.

"We've come here to win the game, we have got off to a bad start with the injury to Pablo (Hernandez) and we have had to adjust ourselves.

"And then I don't know what the referee is seeing really.

"It's easy to come out here and blame somebody else, that's probably the easy thing to do so I'm not going to do it but I don't know what he's seeing.

"In the rest of the first half we have done well, we have come back into the game and we have had a few chances.

"Klichy has hit the post, I had one, Pat (Bamford) had a couple of chances and it was a pretty even first half.

"In the second half we really went at them and we have got a goal and then I think it turned into a bit of a basketball game.

"It was very open and we have conceded from a set piece which is disappointing because we work really hard on that and at the end we just needed a bit of luck and it wasn't to be."

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/latest-leeds-united-news/leeds-uniteds-stuart-dallas-joins-andrea-radrizzani-and-liam-cooper-mystified-agreement-over-controversial-fulham-penalty-1347523

WhiteJC

Fulham beat promotion rivals Leeds in feisty affair

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates after making a clearance to deny Leeds United's Edward Nketiah Credit: Getty Images

Fulham  2   Leeds United  1

Given the tenuous grip that Fulham maintain on their automatic promotion hopes even after this critical and at times tempestuous victory over Leeds, manager Scott Parker believes the manner of his side's win will serve them more than the points.

Josh Onomah's 69th-minute winner hauled the home side back to within nine points of their opponents, but for Parker it was all about making believers of the Craven Cottage faithful again.

Parker said: "The most overriding feeling I have at this moment in time is pride. I spoke to the players before the game and said: 'You're not getting judged today on technique or what a good football player you are. There are 20,000 coming here today and people are judging you, and me, on what you are like as a man. Can you stand up when the chips are down because the chips at this moment are down?'

"Your eyes often don't lie in football. That's what people told me. Today I saw a team that was on the front foot, aggressive and determined to make a statement. A team that showed passion and desire."

Even before some supporters on three sides of Craven Cottage had settled into their seats, Leeds had both missed an attempt to take the lead through Helder Costa and lost a player to injury in Pablo Hernandez.

At least the Spaniard will have Christmas Day off now, assuming that Leeds' training ground treatment room isn't open for business.

If that change disturbed the visitors' equilibrium, they were completely knocked out of their stride three minutes later when Ben White pushed Bobby Decordova-Reid to the ground in the penalty area.

Referee Tim Robinson awarded the spot-kick which Aleksandar Mitrovic converted in spite of Kiko Casilla's strong hand which diverted the ball against the post before it bounced over the line.

Aleksandar Mitrovic of Fulham scores the opening goal from the penalty spot Credit: Getty Images

Leeds responded and twice within the space of 90 seconds, Fulham were indebted to keeper Marek Rodak for the smart reactions which maintained his side's lead.

First, he sprinted off his line to block a Stuart Dallas shot after the midfielder had been slipped in intelligently by Ezgjan Alioski. Then, he dived smartly to his right to turn a low Mateusz Klich against the right-hand post.

The middle 10 minutes of the first half were also notable for a series of challenges that could kindly be described as robust as both sides fought for control of the midfield.

Marcelo Bielsa didn't wait for the second half to unfold to make a positive substitution, taking off Costa at half-time and replacing him with Eddie Nketiah.

The change brought its rewards within 10 minutes of the second period. Another defence-splitting pass from Alioski set Nketiah free to send in a cross-shot which Rodak should have held, but didn't. The ball rolled out for Bamford to stroke it gleefully home.

Fulham almost regained the lead on the hour when an Ivan Cavaleiro shot was arrowing towards the top corner before being flicked away brilliantly by the hand of Casilla.

They did so after 69 minutes when Mitrovic tried to volley home a bicycle kick. That effort was blocked but the ball rolled out to Josh Onomah who laced a right-foot shot into the corner of the Leeds net.

Josh Onomah scored the winner for the home side Credit: Getty Images

Leeds mounted a predictable last assault on the home goal, but in spite of shots from Klich and Alioski and a Liam Cooper header, they could not force home a second equaliser.

Bielsa was phlegmatic rather than upset afterwards.

He said: "The statistics say that Fulham are the best team in the Championship, but they scored from a corner and a penalty. They had just one more chance.

"We had seven or eight chances to win the match. The only shame is that after we scored we conceded possession in our half from which they scored, so it was more what we allowed them to do than what they did for themselves."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/21/fulham-beat-promotion-rivals-leeds-feisty-affair/

WhiteJC

Will Today's Result Against Leeds Determine Parker's Future As Fulham Manager

Many fans have not been happy with the style of play Scott Parker has demanded from his Fulham team so far this season.

The club were among the bookies favourites for automatic promotion at the start of this campaign
after acquiring what seemed like a devastating attacking force.

Today we arrive at the last match of the first half of this season. My pre-season favourites for automatic promotion, WBA and Leeds are currently opening up a gap at the top. I saw WBA being a major force with lots of Premier League experience, managed by a tough coach who has been there and wears the shirt, Slaven Bilic.

Leeds have been there or there about over recent years and also seem to have acquired a top boss in Marcelo Bielsa. On paper, as the bookies called it, Fulham had such a strong forward line, that any defensive frailties would be more than compensated for by the amount of goals they would score.

Unfortunately, our goal tally at 33, an average for a top half team this season, has been let down by a leaky defence where 24 have been conceded. This gives us goal difference of just 9+. Looking at table toppers WBA and Leeds, who both have a plus of 22.

A defeat this afternoon would put Leeds 15 points ahead of us. Although I still stick with the top two holding these positions at the end of the season, there will no doubt be some wobbly times ahead for them, specially Leeds during the remaining half of this campaign.

Leeds have been there or there about over recent years and also seem to have acquired a top boss in Marcelo Bielsa. On paper, as the bookies called it, Fulham had such a strong forward line, that any defensive frailties would be more than compensated for by the amount of goals they would score.

Unfortunately, our goal tally at 33, an average for a top half team this season, has been let down by a leaky defence where 24 have been conceded. This gives us goal difference of just 9+. Looking at table toppers WBA and Leeds, who both have a plus of 22.

A defeat this afternoon would put Leeds 15 points ahead of us. Although I still stick with the top two holding these positions at the end of the season, there will no doubt be some wobbly times ahead for them, specially Leeds during the remaining half of this campaign.

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/will-todays-result-against-leeds-determine-parkers-future-as-fulham-manager/

WhiteJC

Chukwueze and Zambo Anguissa star as Villarreal see off Getafe

The Nigeria and Cameroon internationals helped the Yellow Submarine bag a crucial home win in Saturday's league outing

Samuel Chukwueze and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa were impressive as Villarreal pipped Getafe to a 1-0 win in Saturday's La Liga encounter.

Although he did not manage any shot on target, Chuwkueze completed the most dribbles (five) for Javier Calleja's side while Zambo Anguissa won the most aerial balls (eight) for Villarreal and also made the most touches (79) at Estadio de la Ceramica.

Moi Gomez's 52nd-minute effort separated both teams as Villarreal secured their third straight win in all competitions and second in the Spanish top-flight.

Chukwueze was in action for 80 minutes before Cameroon's Karl Toko Ekambi replaced him while Zambo Anguissa was on from start to finish.

Villarreal moved to ninth in the league standings after gathering 25 points after 18 matches. Their next La Liga fixture is a trip to Real Sociedad on Sunday.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/chukwueze-and-zambo-anguissa-star-as-villarreal-see-off/14bqrcx0d0n3gzvbw10ajkjg7

WhiteJC

Parker's revelation on "scripted" Leeds movement should be a concern for Bielsa

Leeds fell to their first defeat in 12 games on Saturday afternoon and Fulham boss Scott Parker revealed exactly how he was able to orchestrate an important win for his side.

What did he say?

The Whites have consistently shown great form in the Championship this term but the last two results show they are far from the finished article, and there are key things to work on in order to guarantee promotion.

Robert Glatzel caused them problems with his physicality last week and Aleksandar Mitrovic was able to produce similar success with his style, though Marcelo Bielsa's team also struggled on the ball at Craven Cottage.

Leeds dominated with 65% possession but good chances were at a premium for the visitors despite their seven shots on target.

Parker explained exactly why that was in his post-match press conference, and his words should be treated as a warning to Bielsa. As reported by the Yorkshire Evening Post, the Fulham boss said:

"Leeds are the most athletic, powerful team that we see but the most structured and patterned team as well," he said.

"The movements they make are very scripted, we studied Leeds for many games. All week we drilled their movements, to understand what was coming, to know the movements when the ball went in certain places."

Mixing things up

It is a little difficult to criticise the Argentine when Leeds often play very slick football which allows them to dominate and produce chances, but the lack of variety should be a concern.

The Yorkshire side rely on cutting defences open with intricate passes, and when that doesn't produce goals they can often be left frustrated.

No player in the squad has averaged more than two successful dribbles per match this term, and that underlines the team's inability to use their physical attributes to take on defenders and open up space.

As a result, opponent's can often sit deep and defend in front of the ball, with the knowledge that enough bodies in defence can limit space for Leeds and prevent them from scoring.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/leeds/leeds-marcelo-bielsa-must-react-to-scott-parkers-worrying-comments-the-whites-scott-parker-quotes-comments

WhiteJC

'The ref killed the game' Leeds United fans point the finger after Fulham defeat

Leeds United fell to a 2-1 defeat to promotion rivals Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday

Leeds United fans have all made the same point after their 2-1 defeat to Fulham, which handed Marcelo Bielsa's side a blow in their push for promotion.

The Whites endured a nightmare start at Craven Cottage, with Pablo Hernandez injuring his hamstring in the first minute and needing to be replaced before Aleksandar Mitrovic put Fulham 1-0 up on seven minutes when he fired home from the penalty shot after Ben White was harshly adjudged to have fouled Bobby Reid in the box.

A testy first half followed with no fewer than five yellow cards dished out, including Helder Costa just before the break, before Bielsa replaced him with Eddie Nketiah for the second half.

And it didn't take long for the Arsenal loanee to make an impact as his 54th minute shot was parried straight into the path of Patrick Bamford by Marek Rodak, with the Leeds number nine slotting home to level the match.

But the hosts were ahead again 15 minutes later when Josh Onomah smashed home what would be the winning goal to snap a 12-match unbeaten streak. 

After the match, many fans took to social media to share their thoughts and plenty had the same complaint, stating that referee Tim Robinson had a negative impact on the game.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-fulham-fan-reaction-17458228

WhiteJC

Kalvin Phillips: It's difficult to take

Midfielder on Fulham defeat.

Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips spoke to LUTV following Saturday's defeat at Fulham.

Scott Parker's side ended Leeds' 11 game unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship with a 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage.

Fulham's opening goal of the match came from a dubious penalty decision and Phillips was frustrated with that and not being able to take anything out of the match.

"It's difficult to take," said Phillips.

"Obviously for their first goal there is a lot of controversy surrounding it, but we can't say too much about that.

"It's sloppy for us to concede the second, but overall I think we did well.

"We deserved a point at least in the game and possibly three points with the way we attacked.

"We won't take this defeat to heart too much.

"We did all that we could to try and get at least a point.

"We're looking forward to the next game now and hopefully we can start another good run."

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/25985/kalvin-phillips-it-s-difficult-to-take

WhiteJC

Onomah ends Leeds' unbeaten run

If Scott Parker could have fashioned a response to Fulham's limp capitulation in last week's local derby at Brentford himself, this would have been it. The home side were feisty from the outset, eager to mount a physical challenge to high-flying Leeds United and prove that the Championship's automatic promotion positions were not a foregone conclusion before Christmas.

It was fitting that Josh Onomah crowned his most complete performance since moving the other way in the deal that took Ryan Sessegnon to Tottenham this summer with the winner. Plenty of brickbats have headed the young midfielder's way after his indifferent start to life in south west London, but the desire with which he strode onto a loose ball after Aleksandar Mitrovic's ambitious overhead kick at a corner had been blocked and lashed a venomous volley beyond Kiko Casilla spoke volumes, as did the fact that all of his team-mates rushed as one to join the joyous celebrations.

No team has come to Craven Cottage this season and dominated possession in quite the manner that Marcelo Bielsea's side managed this afternoon, but the fact that Leeds travelled back to south Yorkshire without even a point to show for their efforts demonstrated both how Parker is growing as a tactician and how well-organised Fulham were at the back to restrict one of the division's most progressive sides to a handful of clear cut chances.

Leeds had the first sight of goal when Helder Costa might have done better than drill a shot straight at Marek Rodak after being found by a fine Jack Harrison cross, but they were behind inside five minutes. A sweeping move saw Onomah lift a ball towards Mitrovic at the back post and the Serbian striker's attempt to find the recalled Bobby Decordova-Reid in the centre resulted in the on-loan forward falling to the turf under the challenge of Ben White. Referee Tim Robinson's penalty award appeared more than soft and Casilla got a hand to Mitrovic's spot-kick, only to see the ball cannon in off the post.

A lead inside the first seven minutes was just the sort of start Parker would have scripted and Fulham's high press initially unsettled a jittery Leeds. Bielsa's side gradually got themselves going and could have been level midway through the first half. Former Brentford midfielder Stuart Dallas drew a fine reaction save from Rodak, who sprinted off his line and blocked with his legs, after being played in by Ezgjan Alioski, who was an early replacement for the injured Pablo Hernandez.

There was another let off moments later when Harrison deliciously cut a ball back from the byline, but Mateusz Klich's low drive from close range was brilliantly turned onto the base of the post by Rodak. Leeds were restricted to mostly speculative efforts for the remainder of the half – with Dallas drilling wide from just outside the box after fine hold-up play from Patrick Bamford, who also headed over from Kalvin Phillips' free-kick.

The spiky nature of the contest was encapsulated by a fracas caused by Luke Ayling's inexplicable decision to bundle over Tom Cairney in the technical area as he sought to take a quick throw in. The Fulham captain wasn't impeding the recycling of the ball, but the lapse in concentration was perhaps an indication that things weren't going Leeds' way. Bielsa was far from happy and switched to a 4-4-2 at the break, introducing Eddie Nketiah to partner Bamford.

Fulham began the second period on the front foot, with Mitrovic having a goal chalked off for offside, but there were pegged back inside five minutes by clever combination play between Nketiah and Bamford. The hosts struggled to reorganise once a promising break came to naught after Ivan Cavaleiro ran into traffic on the edge of the Leeds box and Aiolski played in Nketiah down the right. Rodak might have done better than just parry the Arsenal loanee's shot into the path of Bamford, who was never going to miss.

Rodak made amends with a smart save to preserve parity after Harrison's deflected cross fell kindly for Alioski, but the substitute couldn't beat the Fulham goalkeeper with his head. At the other end, Casilla produced an outstanding save to turn Cavaleiro's rasping drive over the bar at full stretch when it seemed destined for the top corner. That sparked a period of prolonged home pressure, which eventually culminated in the winner.

It came from a corner which Leeds couldn't clear and, after Mitrovic had tried an acrobatic bicycle kick, Onomah lashed home his first goal since Christmas 2017 – and you could feel plenty of fury in his finish. Leeds came again with Mawson bravely blocking a Klich shot at source and, during five frantic added minutes, they laid siege to the home goal. Alioski curled narrowly over the bar after being teed up by Phillips, before Mitrovic somehow managed to clear Liam Cooper's header off his own line as Fulham clung on to end a damaging run of three straight defeats.

The endeavour and passion on display to topple the league's second-placed side was in stark contrast to the tepid effort at Griffin Park a week earlier – but it showed that Fulham still can mix it with the league's best. They rode their luck at times, but this was a precious victory for Parker, who will want to follow it up with further wins over the likes of Luton, Stoke and Reading during Fulham's festive programme.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Rodak; Christie, Bryan, Mawson, Ream; Reed (Johansen 90), Onomah, Cairney; Decordova-Reid (S. Sessegnon 90), Cavaleiro (Knockaert 90), Mitrovic. Subs (not used): Bettinelli, O'Riley, Kebano, Kamara.

BOOKED: Reed, Bryan, Mitrovic.

GOALS: Mitrovic (pen 7), Onomah (69).

LEEDS UNITED (4-1-4-1): Casilla; Ayling (Stevens 72), Dallas, White, Cooper; Phillips; Costa (Nketiah 45), Harrison, Hernandez (Alioski 3), Klich; Bamford. Subs (not used): Meslier, Berardi, Gotts, Casey.

BOOKED: Klich, Cooper, Costa, Alioski.

GOAL: Bamford (54).

REFEREE: Tim Robinson (West Sussex).

ATTENDANCE: 18,878

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/12/onomah-ends-leeds-unbeaten-run/

WhiteJC

Proud Parker praises Fulham's desire

Scott Parker praised his side's commitment and desire after Fulham fired a warning to the rest of the Championship by ending Leeds' eleven game unbeaten run at Craven Cottage.

The Whites brought their end dismal three-match losing streak to an end with a 2-1 win over second-placed Leeds, thanks to a first half penalty from Aleksandar Mitrovic and Josh Onomah's first goal for the club. They had to weather a late Leeds rally to claim a precious victory – and Parker was delighted with the way his team had responded after their derby defeat at Brentford last week.

"The most overriding feeling I have at this moment in time is pride. I spoke to the players before the game and said: 'You're not getting judged today on technique or what a good football player you are. There are 20,000 coming here today and people are judging you, and me, on what you are like as a man. Can you stand up when the chips are down because the chips at this moment are down?'

Your eyes often don't lie in football. That's what people told me. Today I saw a team that was on the front foot, aggressive and determined to make a statement. A team that showed passion and desire. One man's strength is never greater than a team of players. The team represented me and it represented what this football club is about. That's what made me the happiest.

Coming off three straight losses, like we were, the most important thing was putting in a performance. At times last week we didn't stick to our plan at Brentford, but to a man today this team executed the game plan and ultimately caused Leeds problems.

Parker was also full of praise for Onomah, who has endured a difficult start to his Fulham career. The former England under-21 international produced his most complete performance since moving to Craven Cottage in the summer – and lashed home the winner after Leeds had failed to clear a corner.

Josh has been fantastic and I am so, so pleased for him. I coached Josh when he was a 15-year-old boy at Spurs and I know what ability he's got. I know everything about him. He came in here and he struggled a little bit. He would admit that. Everyone seeing him over the first few weeks was sceptical and would have had a lot of doubts, but he represented everything that I spoke about today – what character does and what passion does. He deserved his moment. 

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/12/proud-parker-praises-fulhams-desire/

WhiteJC

Bielsa: Leeds United did not deserve to have unbeaten run ended at Fulham

Head coach Marcelo Bielsa remained defiant despite seeing the end of Leeds United's 11-match unbeaten run as they lost to promotion rivals Fulham.

The Whites recovered from losing key player Pablo Hernandez to injury and seeing a harsh penalty given against them in the first seven minutes.

They were level nine minutes into the second half through Patrick Bamford only for their Achilles heel to show up again as they let in a second goal from a corner to lose 2-1.

But Bielsa felt Leeds had been the better team and he went further by saying that he did not think any team had outplayed his team in the first half of the season.

He said: "We played against one of the more powerful opponents.

"We have defended well. They scored from a corner and from a penalty. They had just one more chance, we had seven or eight chances to win the match. We defended very well because we played against great attackers.

"The only thing that is a shame, about our team, after we scored we conceded a presence in our half that was linked more with what we allowed them to do than what they did themselves. It was a short moment. It was important because it was the moment to win the match. If you analyse the full match, it is a little detail.

"Honestly, I don't want to not give value to what the opponent did but I didn't see the opponents' attackers unbalance the game.

"If you analyse the statistics to describe the level of one team, it is clear that Fulham is the best team in the Championship. Today I think that the things they created, they couldn't score with that. They had the possibility to counter attack, something they do well and they didn't damage us or create chances with that.

"Honestly I have to say our defence was good. In attack, even if it was a tough match, we have eight, nine, 10 chances to unbalance the match."

Bielsa added: "I don't think we have played a match where the opponent played better than us. But imagine which kind of conclusion we would have today if we had five more points or three more points.

"We have missed points that we deserved to win. But important teams get what they deserve. When they don't get what they deserve, there are some things to improve."

Bielsa explained that playmaker Hernandez had to leave the field in the second minute due to a hamstring injury and was unlikely to play against Preston on Boxing Day.

While Leeds were still rearranging their team - with Ezgjan Alioski coming on as substitute - they went one down as Ben White was judged to have pushed Bobby Reid in the area and although Kiko Casilla got a hand to Aleksandar Mitrovic's penalty he could not keep it out of the goal.

It looked a bad decision from referee Tom Robinson as the Fulham player was already going to ground before any contact was made and that contact was minimal anyway.

United attempted to shrug off their early double disappointment as Stuart Dallas forced home keeper Marek Rodak into his first save and Mateusz Klich hit the woodwork with a good strike.

There were more yellow cards than shots for the rest of the half, though, with frustration clear for the Whites as they were behind at the interval.

Bielsa made a half-time change with striker Eddie Nketiah brought on to replace winger Helder Costa, but it was Fulham who had the first chance of the second period with Mitrovic putting the ball into the net from a cross from a free-kick only for an offside flag to rule his effort out.

United equalised when Nketiah made his first impact after being well found by fellow sub Alioski. His angled shot was saved low down by Rodak, but the keeper only succeeded in diverting the ball straight to Bamford, who had the simple task to tap in.

Alioski came close to putting United ahead when his header was saved by Rodak. But Casilla was then forced into a fine flying save to tip Ivan Cavaleiro's shot from distance over.

Fulham did make it 2-1, however, as a corner was not dealt with and fell to Josh Onomah in the area, who curled a shot into the net.

Leeds showed plenty of fight to get back in the game, but it was not their day as Alioski hit a shot over and Liam Cooper was denied on his return to the side after injury as his header from a corner was cleared off the line by Mitrovic.

The result meant their advantage over third-placed Fulham was down to nine points.

Match facts

Fulham 2

(Mitrovic 7, pen, Onomah 69)

Leeds United 1

(Bamford 54)

Championship

Attendance: 18,878

Fulham: Rodak, Christie, Mawson, Ream, Bryan, Onomah, Reed (Johansen 88), Cavaleiro (Knockaert 90), Cairney, Reid (Sessegnon 90), Mitrovic.

Leeds: Casilla, Ayling (Stevens 72), White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa (Nketiah 45), Hernandez (Alioski 2), Bamford.

Referee: Tom Robinson

https://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/sport/football/bielsa-leeds-united-did-not-deserve-to-have-unbeaten-run-ended-at-fulham-1-10166521

WhiteJC

Fulham's Festive Giveaway - Day 4

As Fulham's Festive Giveaway continues, we're pleased to announce today's limited time prize is a mascot place for Fulham v Aston Villa.

To get involved with the festive Fulham fun and to be in with the chance of winning, please fill in the form below.

The competition closes at 11.59pm on Monday 23rd December, and the winner will be contacted on Monday 30th December.
Only supporters aged between 5 and 12 will be eligible to win this prize. Full terms and conditions can be found online here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/december/22/festive-giveaway---day-4