Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Sunday
Sheff Wed
1-0
Bristol City

WhiteJC

Stuart Dallas brushes off claims that Pablo Hernandez's injury was disruptive for Leeds

Pablo Hernandez suffered yet another injury for Leeds United as they suffered a defeat at Fulham on Saturday.

Stuart Dallas has brushed off claims that Pablo Hernandez' injury was disruptive for Leeds United during their 2-1 defeat to Fulham on Saturday at Craven Cottage.

In another setback for Hernandez, the popular Leeds playmaker was taken off because of an injury early on in the game.

Leeds did concede via the penalty spot not long after, but that decision to award that spot-kick to the home side was controversial, as Josh Onomah cancelled out Patrick Bamford's leveller in the second-half.

Speaking to BBC Radio Yorkshire, Dallas admitted that it was 'disappointing' losing a player like Hernandez, but he doesn't think it impacted Leeds' performance.

On whether Hernandez injury disrupted things for Leeds: "Obviously, when you lose a player like Pablo as good as him, it's disappointing," Dallas told BBC Radio Yorkshire.

"But we have players who are more than capable of coming in. Alioski's come in and people are ready when called upon. I don't think it disrupted it too much because it happened after a minute or something.

"But you don't like to lose a player like Pablo who, in a game like today, could have been crucial."

It's an untimely injury for Leeds because it comes in the middle of a very busy period for teams across the EFL.

Marcelo Bielsa's side take on Preston North End on Boxing Day and more dropped points here will get the Leeds fans a little worried because the chasing pack are closing the gap.

But positive results against Preston, Birmingham and West Brom during these next three matches will leave fans pretty satisfied and raring for that FA Cup clash against Arsenal next month.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/12/22/stuart-dallas-brushes-off-claims-that-pablo-hernandezs-injury-wa/

WhiteJC

Phil Hay: This is what I've heard on Leeds' plans to strengthen midfield in January

Leeds United fans around the world will have been fearing the worst when Pablo Hernandez was forced off the field in the 2-1 defeat at Fulham on Saturday.

The Spanish magician was replaced after only a matter of minutes with a suspected hamstring injury, leaving the Whites searching for options in an area that isn't exactly packed with them right now.

Hernandez has been moved more central this season, and his latest injury means he will join fellow midfielders Adam Forshaw, Jamie Shackleton, and even Tyler Roberts in the medical room – although the latter two are expected to return to action against Preston.

So, with three or four players struggling for fitness it seems this season, Leeds could look to the January transfer window to add a fresh face in the middle of the side.

The Athletic journalist Phil Hay pretty much put an end to those suggestions immediately after that defeat, despite it being clear that the Whites are lacking depth in midfield this season.

Writing in a Q&A on Saturday, Hay claimed that a midfielder isn't on the radar of Victor Orta and his transfer team.

"It really doesn't sound like it," he wrote. "Not on the radar at all, or certainly wasn't when I last asked about January," Hay went on to add.

We can't exactly say we're surprised about this verdict, with Leeds already having one more loan player than is permitted in a matchday squad alongside the financial fair play rules that would prevent a big-money move in the winter.

Leeds have to be sensible with their outgoing cash right now after the move for Helder Costa in the summer, and that is just something we all might have to accept for now.

With Shackleton and Roberts set to return soon, Bielsa will feel like he has enough options to cover occasional injuries in the second half of the campaign.

It will most likely be Eddie Nketiah or Welsh international, Roberts who takes over from Hernandez against Preston – both having a real chance to cement their place in the side for the next month now.

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/phil-hay-this-is-what-ive-heard-on-leeds-united-plans-to-strengthen-midfield-in-january/

WhiteJC

Leeds United boss labels Fulham "the best team in the Championship" after 2-1 defeat

Speaking to Leeds United's official club website, Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa has said that Fulham are the best team in the Championship after they defeated the Whites 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham hitman Aleksandar Mitrovic put the Cottagers 1-0 up at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, taking the lead in the 7th minute against an in-form Leeds United. Scott Parker's side went into the break 1-0 ahead but nine minutes after the restart, Whites striker Patrick Bamford levelled the scores.

However, it was Fulham who were the next to score, with Josh Onomah netting with just over 20 minutes left to secure the three points for Parker's side, taking them to 3rd place in the Championship table.

Now, speaking after the game, Marcelo Bielsa has said that Parker's team are the best in the Championship, adding that forwards Ivan Cavaleiro and goalscorer Mitrovic are some of the most important attackers in the league. He said:

"We played against one of the more powerful opponents. We defended well, they scored from one corner and with one penalty. They had just one more chance (apart from those), whilst we had seven or eight chances to win the match.

"We defended very well because we play against great attackers. Honestly, I don't want to not give value to what the opponent did, but I didn't see the opponents attackers unbalance the game.

"We are talking about Ivan Cavaleiro and Aleksandar Mitrovic, they are maybe the most important in the league. It's clear Fulham are the best team in the Championship, but today the things the opponent created, they couldn't score with."

https://the72.co.uk/152341/leeds-united-boss-labels-fulham-the-best-team-in-the-championship-after-2-1-defeat/

WhiteJC

The London curse strikes again as Leeds nerves start to fray

The London curse strikes again! A disappointing result when were on course in the first half, barring the penalty, and on top again in the second half leading up to the equaliser. At that point, Fulham stepped up the physicality, pressed us, knocked us over, never gave us a second to dwell on the ball. It was too frenetic, with passes being chosen in an instant, quite often inaccurately. W we had our chances, but as usual, we needed too many of them to get the goal. But it's difficult to be too hard on the lads. Just like at Millwall, events beyond our control conspired against us. That was not a victory for their fans to celebrate, a victory of dubious means, Lady Fortune their patron more than any player or manager on that pitch.

On the bright side, things could be worse. Results elsewhere mean the drop points in the last two matches have only seen us reduce our ten point gap to nine points. Okay West Brom are a little further ahead but that is fairly irrelevant as top two is all that matters rather than top spot. We lost today but again it wasn't like we were outplayed or that the opposition rained shots down on us, Fulham had three shots on target and one of those was the penalty. We didn't get the rub of the green today, a penalty that was never a penalty, a penalty that Kiko was then unlucky not to save, we then hit the post etc. To go and win against a potential top 3 contender, is no foregone conclusion, much as we would like it to be. We played poorly yet even playing poorly we were a match for the third placed team in the division.

With a draw against Cardiff and now loss to Fulham Leeds fans are fearing the slump, the bottling it as in years gone by. The negativity is born from decades of disappointment and failures at the final hurdle but we have to put results into context. Cardiff was a folly completely of our own making. Saturday just simply smacked of injustice right from the off. We could point fingers at ourselves quite squarely against Cardiff but this time, but for the foolishness of the referee we might never have found ourselves in that position. It might sound like excuses but what could we have done differently to affect the outcome of this game from the outset?

But despite what Scott Parker said after the game about Leeds being predictable and playing in patterns we still dominated them. It's one thing knowing how Leeds are going to play, it is a different thing stopping them week in week out. Nothing we saw yesterday should make us think we won't walk over most teams in this league. If we got battered like we did at West Brom away last season then fair enough but this wasn't one of those occasions and everyone who saw the game knows it. Still plenty of leeway and we're too good for this to be a trend. It's down to the club to put this behind them and move on starting in Thursday with a win.

https://www.motforum.com/article.php?page=38667

WhiteJC

Fulham boss admits: 'I didn't want us to score more, so Onomah could have glory'

Scott Parker says he was so thrilled at the prospect of Josh Onomah scoring the winner against Leeds, that he was even hoping Fulham would not score again to steal the young man's thunder.

The midfielder crashed in the winner at Craven Cottage at the Hammersmith End and it was his first goal for the club after his summer move from Spurs as part of the deal which saw Ryan Sessegnon move the other way.

The 22-year-old has taken time to settle and not been overly convincing, but this was easily his best display for the Whites and he fully repaid the faith his boss has shown in him in recent weeks.

"He deserved that moment, he deserved it to stay 2-1," Parker said.

"I didn't want it to go 3-1, 4-1, I wanted it to stay 2-1 and I wanted Josh Onomah to take the winning goal, because he showed massive grit.

"Josh has been fantastic and I'm so, so pleased for him. I coached him when he was a 15-year-old boy and I know what ability he's got. I know everything about him.

"He came here and he struggled a little bit, to be fair – he'd be the first to admit that. I think everyone over the first few weeks when they were first seeing him, probably they were sceptical and had a lot of doubt, but he represented what character does and what a desire and a passion does.

"When you're dealing with young players and you're having conversations with them, as I have done with Josh over the last five weeks, sometimes your words can be quite shallow, in the sense that it's: 'Keep going Josh, keep working hard, don't give up, because through that, you'll come through this and your quality will shine.'

"Sometimes, when you don't see those rewards as a young player, you maybe get disheartened and I'm hoping that those words he now believes even more."

Fulham's default style involves plenty of good passing and monopoly of the ball, but against Leeds they had to show the sort of graft and grit that used to be a hallmark of Parker as a player.

And it was the manner of the victory, the resilience on the back of three straight defeats, which pleased him most.

"When you come off a run of three defeats, the most important thing is winning," he said. "Last week [at Brentford] was a disappointing performance from us and today, to a man, this team executed a game plan and ultimately caused Leeds a lot of problems.

"Leeds are the most powerful, athletic team that we see but the most structured and patterned team as well. We studied them over many games and all week we drilled about the movements they make, to understand what was coming."

Parker added: "The over-riding feeling I have is pride. I told them: 'You're not getting judged on technique, not getting judged on what a good footballer you are. There's 20,000 coming here today to judge you on what you are as a man. Can you stand up when the chips are down?'

If there's one thing you can say is that you saw a team that was front foot , aggressive, a team that needed to make a statement – a team that showed passion and a desire and that's what pleased me the most really.

"I think that team out there represented me and represented what this football club is about."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2019/12/22/Fulham-boss-admits-I-didnt-want-us-to-score-more-so-Onomah-could-have-glory

WhiteJC

Parker: Josh Deserved That

Scott Parker couldn't have been happier to see Josh Onomah hit the winner for Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

Parker first encountered the midfielder back in his playing days with Tottenham Hotspur, and has never doubted what he's capable of.

"He's been fantastic, and I'm so, so pleased for him," Parker said after the Leeds United victory. "I coached Josh when he was a 15-year-old boy.

"I know what ability he's got, I know everything about him, and he came into here and he struggled a little bit. I think he'll be the first to admit that, and I think everyone over the first few weeks when they were seeing him probably were sceptical and had a lot of doubt.

"He represented everything that I spoke about [after Leeds], and he represented what character does and what a desire and a passion does.

"I often sit down with Josh and sometimes your words can be quite shallow in the sense of, 'keep going Josh, keep working hard, don't give up because with hard work and hard graft you'll come through this because your quality will shine.'

"Sometimes when you don't see those rewards, as a young player you maybe get disheartened. I'm so pleased, and I hope that he believes those words even more [now], because he deserved that moment.

"And he deserved that moment for it to stay 2-1. I'm glad it didn't go 3-1, 4-1, I wanted it to stay 2-1 and I wanted Josh Onomah to take the winning goal, because he showed massive grit."

Parker also had praise for Harrison Reed and Bobby Decordova-Reid, who showed no signs of rustiness following injuries, both completing 90 minutes before being withdrawn right at the death.

"They were superb," their Head Coach said. "Those boys have had four days of training.

"Harrison Reed had surgery 22 days ago, and we put him in after four days of training. Bobby Reid, the same; four days of training after being out for 21 days with a hamstring injury.

"We have been hit by injuries over the last few weeks, there's no denying that, and they've been a massive miss."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/december/22/scott-parker-josh-onomah-deserved-that

WhiteJC

Scott Parker reacts to Fulham's 2-1 win over Leeds United

Speaking after his side's 2-1 win over Leeds United, Fulham manager Scott Parker said to the media (quotes via Sports Mole) that he is proud of his players' performance in an important win at Craven Cottage.

Fulham hitman Aleksandar Mitrovic put the Cottagers 1-0 up at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, taking the lead in the 7th minute against an in-form Leeds United. Scott Parker's side went into the break 1-0 ahead but nine minutes after the restart, Whites striker Patrick Bamford levelled the scores.

However, it was Fulham who were the next to score, with Josh Onomah netting with just over 20 minutes left to secure the three points for Parker's side, taking them to 3rd place in the Championship table.

Now, Fulham boss Parker has been speaking after the game, saying that he an overriding feeling of pride after the win, adding that it was important they bounced back in impressive style having lost their last three games. He said:

"The most overriding feeling I have at this moment in time is pride. I spoke to the players before the game and said: 'You're not getting judged today on technique or what a good football player you are. There are 20,000 coming here today and people are judging you, and me, on what you are like as a man. Can you stand up when the chips are down because the chips at this moment are down?'

"Your eyes often don't lie in football. That's what people told me. Today I saw a team that was on the front foot, aggressive and determined to make a statement. A team that showed passion and desire. One man's strength is never greater than a team of players. The team represented me and it represented what this football club is about. That's what made me the happiest.

"Coming off three straight losses, like we were, the most important thing was putting in a performance. At times last week we didn't stick to our plan at Brentford, but to a man today this team executed the game plan and ultimately caused Leeds problems."

https://the72.co.uk/152384/scott-parker-reacts-to-fulhams-2-1-win-over-leeds-united/

WhiteJC

Leeds edged out in feisty clash at the Cottage

With the right result we would have been 12 points clear of third place and we deserved at least a point from this eventful game, but Fulham claimed the win through a fine finish from Onomah.

Once again Bielsa kept faith with the players who had served him well in recent weeks, with the only change from last week being the return of Liam Cooper in place of Berardi. He had obviously been given instructions to stick as close to Mitrovic as possible, and he was to give the Championship's leading scorer a few knocks during the course of the game.

We managed to create the first chance of the game, with Costa forcing Rodak into a decent save, but then we were dealt two large dollops of misfortune before ten minutes were up. Hernandez had been instrumental in our first move of the game, but then he collapsed on the floor and had to be replaced by Aloiski.

Then a penalty was awarded to Fulham after Mitrovic found space for a shot and the ball spun up in the air after it was blocked. As players jostled to get beneath it, White was adjudged to have pushed Decorva-Reid, and although Mitrovic sent the spot kick onto the post, unfortunately it spun into the other corner of the net.

Leeds immediately began to work hard to get back into the game, and were to enjoy a fair amount of possession for the rest of the half. Bamford was played in on the right, but with no one available for a cross he had to take a shot from a narrow angle and could only send it into the side netting.

And our best effort of the half came from a ball pulled back to Klich, but agonisingly the ball came crashing back off the post. The frustration obviously got the better of him as he became our first booking, for a tackle that was so late it could have been a Northern Rail service.

That was the sign for the game to get a little bad tempered, with Scott Parker's side determined to frustrate our high tempo style. When Ayling wanted to take a quick throw he ended up shoving the Fulham player holding the ball, and as this was right in front of the benches, the staff of both clubs jumped up to get involved. Scott Parker and both players were lectured by the referee, but there was no further punishment.

And shortly before the break Costa retaliated after a foul by pushing his assailant to the floor, and inevitably the Fulham fans were on their feet baying for a dismissal. But as someone who grew up watching football in the 70s I thought that was far too soft and that these people ought to be strapped into a chair and made to watch the Hunter v Lee bout on repeat, to show them what proper violent conduct actually looks like.

Thankfully the ref agreed and thought that a yellow card would suffice. But Costa would be replaced at half time by Eddie, possibility through the fear that he might sin again and get sent off, but more likely due to his rather ineffectual performance in the first period, with Bielsa thinking we needed a bit more ooomph up front to grab an equaliser.

During half time Allan Clarke was introduced to the crowd as the special guest. He did of course play for both clubs, but spent the peak years of his career as part of the legendary Revie side, and on his way round the ground he got by far the best reception from the Leeds fans in the corner.

We began the second half with Eddie furthest forward and Bamford behind, but I would have swapped them round. That way Bamford could continue to work hard and win possession, while Eddie could use his pace to run though and take possession. But too often in the second half there were long balls played up to Eddie as the player furthest forward, which he couldn't hope to win in the air.

We also began the half with Alioski wide right and Dallas left back, another pair I would have swapped round. But what do I know. After Fulham had a goal disallowed for offside, we grabbed the equaliser in the 54th minute. Alioski sent Eddie through, and when Rodak spilled his shot Bamford was able to run through and tap the ball into an empty net.

And for the next ten minutes or so it looked like we were getting on top and would go on to win the game, roared on by the 1900 or so Leeds fans among the sellout crowd. Harrison forced Rodak into another good save before the ball was scrambled clear.

But Fulham weren't done yet,and they went close to regaining the lead with a shot from distance from Cabillero that Casilla did very well to tip over the bar. And in the 69th minute a corner came back to Mitrovic, and when his shot was blocked it fell nicely to Onamoa, who lashed an excellent shot past Casilla from outside the box.

Bielsa made his final change as Leeds pressed for another equaliser, with Jordan Stevens replacing Ayling to play wide on the right, Dallas moving to right back and Alioski to the left. Alioski was to try another spectacular volley from a corner, but unfortunately without the same result as at Huddersfield, as the ball flashed wide.

As the game moved into injury time we forced a series of corners and White had a header scrambled off the line, but despite an extra five minutes being played Fulham were able to hold on for the win they needed to get their own promotion challenge back on track.

So the gap to third is down to nine points, but I don't think we should be too worried just yet. We didn't play badly for much of this game, it's just the Fulham had the breaks at the right time. All the same, after the disappointments of the last match and a half we could really do with beating an in-form Preston on boxing day. MOT!

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/leedsunited/news/51526/

WhiteJC

Winter Sale

Enjoy savings across a range of Fulham merchandise, with the Fulham FC Winter Sale now live!

Fans can enjoy up to 50% off, with savings to be made on selected lines including replica kits, training and fashion wear.

Take advantage online or instore now.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/december/22/winter-sale

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham vs. Leeds United

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, Max Cohen and Yannis Tjanetis discussed all the key moments from the huge 2-1 victory for Fulham against Leeds United.

Also, you can listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/12/22/21033934/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulham-vs-leeds-united

WhiteJC

Scott Parker offers thoughts on Fulham midfielder's performance after Leeds victory

Scott Parker has stated that Josh Onomah deserved to score the winner for Fulham after showing 'massive grit'.

It was a huge victory for Fulham who ended a run of three defeats to beat a very strong Leeds United side at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers have had a really interesting campaign so far that has been filled with a lot of ups and downs throughout as Parker attempts to find his feet as a first-team manager.

On Saturday, Onomah scored the second goal for Fulham which has massively helped their cause for a place in the top six and will keep them in the mix heading into the busy Christmas period.

Parker has expressed that the midfielder has been fantastic and has shown massive grit throughout.

Speaking to Capital Football, Parker said: "He deserved that moment, he deserved it to stay 2-1.

"I didn't want it to go 3-1, 4-1, I wanted it to stay 2-1 and I wanted Josh Onomah to take the winning goal, because he showed massive grit.

"Josh has been fantastic and I'm so, so pleased for him. I coached him when he was a 15-year-old boy and I know what ability he's got. I know everything about him."

The Verdict

Onomah has been very good so far this season and has been somewhat underrated during his time at the club. He's been a very strong midfielder and Parker has shown massive faith in him, even though Fulham have been on a poor run of late.

The Cottagers will be very happy to have been on the winning side of a fixture during their game on Saturday and they will hope to continue this during the next few games over Christmas. Parker will hope that over the second-half of the campaign, they can close the gap on 2nd placed Leeds United.

There's a real sense that Fulham should be higher in the league due to the squad that they have available to them but the Cottagers need to keep allowing players such as Onomah to perform week in week out.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-offers-thoughts-on-fulham-midfielders-performance-after-leeds-victory/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker says Leeds were too scripted after victory

THIS year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to Patrick Bamford," sang the merry Leeds faithful, after he ploughed in Eddie Nketiah's cross to go level in London after 54 minutes.

But a Whites Christmas is hard to come by these days — astonishing comebacks last year patching the cracks before ending a seven-game winning-run against Hull in late December.

And Leeds fans, driving home for Christmas on Saturday, may have that sinking feeling as they mulled the end of an 11-game unbeaten stretch.

Still second in the table, Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa was insistent — if defensive — when asked if the festive period is anything to do with negative results.

"I don't link the performance with the date, the part of the season. When you play a lot of matches in a row, like now, you have to see if the physical performance decreases. And last season the physical performance never decreased.

"The date, the part of the year — there are more evident reasons."

Fulham boss Scott Parker hinted at the danger of relying on physical performance during the packed festive calendar, but targeted "very scripted" play as what might catch up with Bielsa's squads around this time of year.

"Leeds are the most athletic, powerful team that we see. But they're the most structural and patterned team as well. And the movements Leeds make are very scripted.

"We studied Leeds for many a game, so we can see the movements they made. And all week we drilled the movements and we drilled the team to understand what was coming."

Benefiting from an early penalty by Aleksandar Mitrovic — won softly as Harrison Reed crumpled under the spectre of a Ben White challenge — a particularly passionate Craven Cottage crowd lifted Fulham past Leeds as Josh Onomah tucked away his decisive 69th-minute strike.

Fulham fans have had to literally acclimatise to the lack of an entire pitch-length stand this season — the empty Riverside now holding a TV gantry, benches and forest of scaffolding for the ball to get lost in — as the wind blows in off the river.

In the lopsided ground, first-half pantomime villain Luke Ayling felt the wrath of the Johnny Haynes stand for 45 minutes before switching to do his work along the empty stand in relative peace and quiet.

Nketiah's killer cross was delivered from that empty side, while the away support in that side of the Putney End made their impact with minor interference.

But the rammed remainder of Craven Cottage packs a punch and Ayling — later subbed off — then Ezgjan Alioski and at times the referee seemed powerless to shrug off their influence.

"I thought the fans were superb," Parker said. "When the goal went in at 1-1, this stadium sometimes has been a little bit edgy and the players, I think, have got off that.

"But the stadium today was electric, they deserve part of this result as well — a massive part."

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/scott-parker-says-leeds-are-too-scripted-after-victory

WhiteJC

Fulham snap Leeds' winning streak as manager Scott Parker is pleased with performance

FULHAM ended a run of three defeats with a fine win over Leeds, who lost for the first time in 12 matches, a series of eight wins and three draws.

Fulham manager Scott Parker said the three points were all that mattered as his side has faltered in recent weeks, allowing Leeds and West Brom to open a massive gap in the race for the automatic promotion spots.

"I don't want to hear that we played well," said Parker. "I want to hear people say our players did everything they could to win a football match and I think we've done that."

The win came on the back of a brilliant display from Championship top-scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic, who scored his 17th goal of this campaign from the penalty spot in the seventh minute.

The decision to award Fulham a penalty looked soft. Bobby Decordova-Reid felt Leeds defender Ben White's hands on his back and went down like Tom Daley. Referee Tim Robinson pointed to the penalty spot.

Leeds keeper Kiko Casilla made a valiant attempt to save Mitrovic's strike but could only push the ball onto the inside of the post before it nestled in the net.

Patrick Bamford had the simple task of tapping in Leeds's equaliser after Marek Rodak parried substitute Eddie Nkitiah's effort into his path in the 54th minute.

The Fulham winner came on 69 minutes when Josh Onomah fired in from near the penalty spot after Mitrovic had a shot blocked following a corner.

The surprise was that the expected Leeds storm did not happen. Indeed Leeds's failure to build on their equaliser left head coach Marcelo Bielsa cutting a frustrated figure.

"The only thing I am ashamed about from my team is that after we scored, we conceded possession in our half and we allowed them to come back into the game," he said.

When Leeds did threaten in time added on, Mitrovic was on hand to head a clearance off the line.

Despite the result, there remains a considerable gap of nine points between Leeds in second place and Fulham in third at the halfway stage of the season.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/fulham-snap-leeds-winning-streak-manager-scott-parker-pleased-performance

WhiteJC

'Another coach sacked by May' – Many Leeds fans hit back at Scott Parker over dig at tactics

Leeds United fans have not taken too kindly to what Fulham manager Scott Parker said after the Yorkshire club lost 2-1 at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Leeds saw their 11-match unbeaten run come to an end in the capital as goals by Aleksandar Mitrovic and Josh Onomah in each half meant that the Whites lost ground in their bid for automatic promotion.

Although it was the Whites' first defeat in a while, Marcelo Bielsa's side still remains in second place in the Championship and eight points clear of third.

However that did not stop Parker from having a dig at Leeds' style of play after his side won the fixture.

LeedsLive journalist Beren Cross quoted Parker as saying that United were "scripted" and "patterned" in the way they played.

In other words, predictable.

If Leeds are so predictable then why have only four teams beaten them this season? Why are they second in the table? Why do they have the best defensive record? Why did it take a questionable refereeing performance for Fulham to beat them?

Leeds fans on Twitter have been quick to hit back at Parker for his strange assessment of the Whites' style of play.

https://motleedsnews.com/fans-view/another-coach-sacked-by-may-many-leeds-united-fans-hit-back-at-scott-parker-over-dig-at-tactics/

WhiteJC

Five Thoughts: Fulham 2-1 Leeds United

March on together. Think we'll adopt that as our own now. Coming off the back of three dismal defeats, another dreary loss was the only plausible outcome for Fulham, who had the ordeal of stunting a high-flying Leeds United at home, with Christmas just 4 days away. Stuff it all, and the Turkey while you're at it.

Before kick-off, the Whites were 12 points behind Marcelo Bielsa's Peacocks and I was preparing to jack it all in for the festive break and start afresh in the New Year. Now that gap's shrunk to 9, though, I'll push the Monopoly board aside for the moment and revel in our 2-1 victory, a white-knuckle affair that quite literally had it all. Handbags, fisticuffs, the lot. That's the seasonal spirit we all adore.

The fierce attitude on show from Scott Parker's side was emphatic. You couldn't fault our gutsy disposition as a group. All was mustard and we've finally beaten a side in the current top 6. We haven't changed the course of our season just yet as there's a ridiculous amount of ground work to be done, but those 3 points cement the foundations of something profound in the coming fortnight, a gridlocked period where hard work and willpower splits the mediocre from the elite. Which bracket do we ultimately belong?

Bursting Bielsa Ball
Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have evolved under his studied supervision and are renowned for practising a ruthless, hardened strategy. Parker's system is a prototype in comparison with multiple defects rising to the surface in recent weeks and bouncing back against Saturday's treacherous visitors required a minor miracle. Our mentality had taken a severe thrashing and the lads needed a rocket up the backside if we were going to steal anything from matchday 23, but what a drastic difference a week makes. Bolting from the traps from the off, the Whites unsettled Leeds' composure and continued to disrupt and frustrate throughout, right until the very last second of the hotly-contested confrontation alongside an exposed River Thames.

The narrative was end-to-end, with both camps striving to edge ahead at every given opportunity, although United's familiarly incisive approach was mutated by the Cottagers' dedicated perseverance. Fulham strangulated Leeds and coerced them into launching long balls up the park to relieve pressure. Ivan Cavaleiro hounded Stuart Dalas, Harrison Reed patrolled the middle of the park, reintroducing a dogged bite to our midfield and as a collective, the Whites flexed a commendable solidarity and hunted as a pack. The first goal would set the tone and it was vital that Fulham landed the first blow. From the spot in the 10th minute, Fulham took the lead and from that moment on, the hosts had to rediscover a mettle that had evaporated in our last three defeats, a unity that would bundle them over the line to salvation.

Fulham's backs were shoved firmly against the wall at times but tools were not downed. Unzipped in the 22nd minute, Marek Rodak darted from his 6-yard box to smother Dalas and, in the 41st, Rodak was on hand again to thwart an unmarked Patrick Bamford, who'd peeled away from his maker to scruff the young Slovakian's gloves. Leeds probed intently and "Sausage Boy" levelled proceedings 10 minutes into the second-half, although heads didn't drop and mindsets didn't diminish. Pulling together to smooth the complexion, Fulham turned the screw themselves and found reward with 20 minutes of normal time to go. A late fightback nearly paid off for the Peacocks but that desire from Fulham, that admirable persistence gift wrapped a hard-fought, courageous triumph. For 95 gruelling minutes, the Whites equalled Leeds stride for stride, cancelling out Bielsa's boys with just 35% possession. Less time on the ball than what we're used to? Just 3 shot on target? Who cares. I'd rather us fight tooth and nail every week than fade away without a whimper.

Joshua's Jingling Justice
Got to admit, humble pie has a satisfying bittersweet taste to it. I, like many others, have made my opinion of Joshua Onomah very known since his arrival in the summer, and it hasn't been a particularly positive one, either. Unfit for purpose, sluggish, substandard, the former Tottenham Hotspur prospect's had to endure ruinous assessments and critiques of his ability and, if I'm completely honest, he's deserved all the stick he's gotten. He hasn't been up to the required standard and he's wilted under the weight of responsibility. Named in the starting XI ahead of Stefan Johansen, Onomah's name was dragged through the mud. How, how is he higher up the pecking order than StefJo?

I was incensed when the squad was released at 2pm and I'd already written off our hopes of turning up, let alone winning with him in the set-up. Well, there's a few ways to button mouths and silence doubters and my word, it's like Onomah's body was taken over by a prime Dickson Etuhu. WD40 does wonders to creaky, lumbering legs. The 22-year-old was box-to-box, hard-hitting, constructive, and inexhaustibly transcendent, the stand out enforcer within his department. Getting in the faces of Mateusz Klich and Kalvin Phillips, Onomah imposed himself upon the challenge of overpowering Leeds' stringent midfield and did his with aplomb. I've never been convinced by his positional awareness, but the disregarded hindrance covered a vast span intelligently and was the spark we so desperately needed.

A mediator on the ball, a nuisance off it, Onomah had a revitalised spring in his step and in the 69th minute, in the right place at the right time, he slammed home the winner with a ballistic torpedo. Three points guaranteed by a strike with more spice than your favourite Nando's order. Tweeting after the game, Onomah pledged to prove sceptics wrong and I've never wanted to eat my words more. I'll slather them with with ketchup if it helps them go down easier, but one outstanding performance still won't mask over the fact he's an average squad member at best. To truly outshine Johansen, Arter (when he returns) and Reed, he has to apply himself in the same glowing manner each time he pulls on the shirt, not just for the odd occasion. He can make a lasting impression if he swats off the trash talk, maintains his focus and listens to the only person that's worth the attention. Himself.

Aleksandar Attracts Action
'Isolation' is another well known Joy Division classic and Aleksandar Mitrovic has unwillingly carried it with him as his own personal them tune for a few weeks now. Mitro's a presence that can hold his own but, as we all recognise so well, service has to come his way. Against Bristol City, Preston North End and Brentford, he was a lonely, neglected figure in the final third and was subsequently quarantined. No matter what came his way, the ball simply wouldn't stick. Liam Cooper and Ben White are revered as one of the Championship's hardiest centre-half partnerships, but Mitro' made festive mince meat of the both of them. Confront the indomitable Serb' at your own peril, because if you're inferior, he'll vaporise all that you are.

Was it a penalty? That's up for debate, but football is riddled with contentious decisions and we've certainly sampled the sourness of incompetent officiating this season ourselves. A spot kick was awarded and Mitro' eyeballed Kiko Casilla. Plunging to his right, the Spanish stopper flapped at the striker's stroke, diverting it onto the inside of the post. A broad sigh of relief was heard as the ball trundled into the opposite corner and Mitro' skipped off to celebrate his 17th league goal of the campaign. Not the cleanest of contacts, but it doesn't honestly matter how they go in, after all.

Pinned against two centre-backs, Mitro' welcomed hoisted clearances and intended crosses into his frame, taming the ball with outrageously deft flicks and touches, particularly under the strenuous circumstances. Men appeared mortal in his shadow and for such an assertive powerhouse, he manufactured incisive sequences with deceptively intricate expeditions with the ball under his surveillance. He bobbed and weaved like a heavyweight boxer in round 5, tormenting the opposition with grit, brawn and unrivalled intelligence. Hugging the touchline as Fulham escaped the depths of their own half, Mitro' jinked towards the target from wide and, whilst he's no winger, he caused absolute havoc. He clamoured, he provoked, he relished the prospect of monopolising his rightful territory.

Basically, Bobby's Brilliant
Emerging from the bench against Brentford, brushing off an injury setback, Bobby Decordova-Reid's impact was felt straight away.Easing the 26-year-old back into action was not an option and Parker opted to throw him back into the starting compliment against Leeds, a wholly necessary measure that proved to be pivotal as the game progressed. An elusive instigator behind Mitro', BDR knitted sequences together between the central striker and our midfield protagonists, sinking into congested pockets, as he always does, to unhinge Leeds' shape and fortitude. That kind of ingenuity has been sorely missed in his absence and the sight of him dismantling the visitors across the breadth of the final third was yuletide bliss.

Bobby combined with Mitro' systematically, making sure that the striker's relevance lasted in carefully constructed passing phases. Streaming forward, Reid troubled Luke Ayling with his undying willingness and unpredictable movement, forcing the fullback to poke the ball out of play, or risk being robbed by the adaptable instigator. He's not afraid to immerse himself in physical battles and, though he's not the biggest of blokes, he often comes out on top, purely because he's hungry to upset the flow of the game at all costs. Ayling coudn't contain him and neither could any hapless competitor that tried to suppress his enthusiasm upon his full return.

Steven Sessegnon replaced him in the 92nd minute, but the Jamaica international was fizzing with verve and energy, testament to his ethic and work-rate as a trusted component within our system. He's one of the first names I'd draft into my selection if I were in charge, because he's a flexible team player with abundant beneficial qualities. Bobby is invaluable, a magnificent individual meddler that pulls his weight for the cause, and he's not even a permanent member. That speaks volumes. A Cardiff City player, yes, but invested in the Whites cause for promotion? His animated performances suggest that he's in it for the long haul.

Alfie's Alright Atonement
Redemption is the undertone of this article, and Alfie Mawson, after a less than satisfactory afternoon last week, atoned for his previous calamitous errors to banish Leeds' methodical offensive sieges. Again, I haven't been Mawson's biggest fan but I'll stand by my opinion. He's erratic, uncertain and a hideous distributor, although he conducted himself suitably to muzzle Eddie NKetiah and restrain Bamford for the most part, so here's to you, Alf', you did alright out there.

Leeds slipped in behind Fulham's back four, freeing Nketiah, Jack Harrison and Ezgjan Alioski. Mawson isn't blessed with searing pace, but he was fleet footed in pursuit of the visitors' unleashed attackers, intercepting danger before it was all too late. He and Tim Ream held a rigid line as Fulham squeezed up the pitch but, if the Whites' rearguard was breached, the 25-year-old reacted swiftly to counteract United's direct game plan. Mawson's perceptive outlook reduced Leeds' chances of establishing a solid foothold – he wasn't prepared to be strung up like he was against the Bees, that's for sure.

First to loose balls, committed to headers, alive to his own personal tasks and obligations, Mawson is worthy of praise, I suppose. What we were looking for was a reasonable reply from all involved and Mawson sounded that particular bugle ardently. A few shaky touches here and there, the odd suspect pass, but the inconsistent defender did what he's paid to do and kept one of the division's most lethal, potent outfits at bay, operating in unison with his defensive colleagues, instead of being a burden to them. Must keep momentum going, otherwise the chop is destined for his neck once Michael Hector gets his chance to impress in January.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-12-22-five-thoughts-fulham-2-1-leeds-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-1 Leeds United: Lucked Out

There were festive distractions, and the league table is a distraction, and results elsewhere and questions of form and transfer windows pulled attention away from the main event.

Here in the middle of the afternoon was a game of football, a sporting contest, a team against another team. Ninety minutes trying to captivate us amid the sideshows.

It felt like a return to competition for Leeds United. Their seven wins and a draw were a story in which what was supposed to happen, happened, their opponents conforming, Middlesbrough completely, Cardiff City up to a point.

After this game Marcelo Bielsa said Fulham are the best team in the Championship, and if that's true, only Scott Parker can be holding them back; naive but not incapable, he's this season's Frank Lampard, good players making his look like good management. Leeds didn't have to be wary of Fulham, in the sense of fearing a sucker-punch surprise. Fulham and Leeds were taking each other on as equals, although only one of these squads won seven games in the Premier League last season.

Leeds were solid against players with talent and pedigree. Ben White and Liam Cooper were in a constant battle with Aleksandar Mitrovic; they couldn't keep him quiet, but they didn't let him have a chance to score. Kalvin Phillips and Tom Cairney vied for the right to run midfield; Ivan Cavaleiro made a good chance by dribbling from the wing into space and shooting from the edge of penalty area, meeting an excellent dive by Kiko Casilla. Jackie Harrison never found freedom on the wing, but from the byline he did set up Stuart Dallas and then Mateusz Klich, whose low shot hit the near post.

Feuds, confrontations and general aggravation were not helped by incompetent refereeing, but the players seemed to be relishing the overall conflict. Neither team was truly on top but as always Leeds had most possession, and made the better chances. The thing about sport like this, though, is that it offers no guarantees.

Howard Wilkinson used to say that football management is about minimising the role of luck. But there are days when luck will influence beyond your control. Your best player might be injured after forty seconds, for example, as Pablo Hernandez was here, and have to go off after one pass. Or a referee might decide that the way Ben White stroked Bobby De Cordova-Reid's back in the six yard box merits a penalty, a decision the Leeds players didn't hold back from criticising in interviews and on social media after the game. Even then, luck intervened again to help Mitrovic score; Casilla dived low to save it, but the ball deflected in off the post anyway. The game wasn't even ten minutes old.

The next two goals were more even. Leeds equalised when Eddie Nketiah sprang onto Ezgjan Alioski's perfect reverse pass into the penalty area; they were slightly fortunate that goalkeeper Marek Rodak diverted Nketiah's cross-shot to where Pat Bamford stood in front of an empty net, but that's the kind of luck that isn't given to you, you make it yourself. Likewise, when Fulham's corner dropped to Mitrovic, White did well to block his overhead kick and was unlucky that the ball dropped to Josh Onomah to fire into the net, but that's the game. Sometimes the ball doesn't go where you want, and Onomah was sharp to sense the chance coming his way.

Luck can and does play its part, but you minimise its influence through your work before the game, or before the season, so you have a structure that can contain its effects. Leeds couldn't respond to the loss of Hernandez by producing another player like him from the bench, but what bench anywhere has a player like Pablo Hernandez on it? His nearest deputy at Leeds, Tyler Roberts, is injured. But perhaps it's telling that Marcelo Bielsa's favoured alternative source of creativity, Helder Costa, was substituted at half-time; that had the feeling of a plan not working.

That change brought Nketiah into the game and brought about the equaliser, but the question of how long he will be an alternative option at Leeds remains open. There are two games left in 2019 to convince Arsenal that their striker has a future on loan at Leeds in 2020, otherwise Bielsa will need a new way of responding to luck, and its plans for Pat Bamford's health and form for the rest of the season. They enjoyed celebrating the equaliser together, each appreciating the other's contribution, but we are probably seeing the end of their stalled partnership, rather than its late blossom.

Jordan Stevens was introduced as a late attempt to equalise and didn't look out of place at the top of the Championship, but that was the question: would he be enough? He didn't save the game, in the end. And that's the question this result asks of Leeds overall: do they have enough answers to luck, when its influence on a game is this significant?

Leeds have answered well this winter, putting themselves into a superb position at the top of the table. They have the quality to overcome most of the teams in this division, and not by chance, and that might be enough to stay at the top through May. Losing to Fulham is not final. They lose to other teams, and we will play them again in March.

But when all other things are equal but luck is not on their side, even the solid and composed football Leeds played at Fulham can't quell the anxiety caused by chance. This season is Leeds United's big chance. If they can't be lucky, we have to hope it's enough to be this good.

https://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-united/fulham-2-1-leeds-united-lucked-out/

WhiteJC

Leeds United Dealt With An Injury Blow As Bielsa Gives Update On This Ace: Who Will Replace Him?

Leeds United's unbeaten run came to an end as they succumbed to a defeat against Fulham who had lost their last three games in a row. It was again one of those games where the Whites didn't deserve to lose, but that is the nature of football as not grabbing the key moments once again turned out to be the downfall of the Yorkshire club.

Apart from the loss, another thing which must have concerned Leeds United was Pablo Hernandez's injury. The Spanish playmaker lasted just three minutes and had to go off with an injury. With the busy part of the season going on, the club will hope that it's not a lengthy injury lay off.

Bielsa updates on Hernandez's injury

After the game, Bielsa gave a short update (Leeds Live) on the attacker and said that it was a muscular problem that ruled him out of the game. The manager also added that Hernandez is unlikely to recover for the Boxing Day clash against Preston; another one of the teams who are chasing the second spot at the moment.

Why must Bielsa think of rotation?

Hernandez effectiveness has come down this season, but he still remains a crucial player for the Whites in the attacking third. His vision and passing range stand out, but he is being troubled by injuries often now. That was always expected as he is 34 and given the way Bielsa likes to play, Hernandez needs to be used smartly.

Bielsa has not been a fan of rotation ever since he took over, and if left to him, he would probably play with the same eleven every time. He likes to give players a long rope which is a good thing for the confidence of the players as they know that the manager will back them even after some below-par performances. However, the Whites should be making use of their squad to tackle this busy phase of the season.

Who will replace him?

The time frame of Hernandez's injury is yet to be ascertained, so the team management and club faithful would be keeping their fingers crossed. Hernandez hs been deployed in central areas in the past few games with Helder Costa starting on the right. Jamie Shackleton and Adam Forshaw have also been unavailable, so Bielsa is running thin on central/attacking midfield options.

Mr. versatile Stuart Dallas has already been used in the middle this season, and he will be expected to fill in again for Hernandez. Dallas hasn't done too poorly, but it is clear that he is at his best when he plays in the wide regions and has some space to run with the ball. Hopefully, the Northern Irish international will do a decent enough job against Preston.

https://the4thofficial.net/2019/12/leeds-united-dealt-with-an-injury-blow-as-bielsa-gives-update-on-this-ace-who-will-replace-him/

WhiteJC

ON THE ROAD: Fulham put the squeeze on Leeds to dent Marcelo Bielsa's Championship automatic promotion hopes

Fulham ended a run of four straight defeats by beating Leeds at Craven Cottage
    On The Road was meant to watch the postponed Ebbsfleet v Woking clash
    Despite defeat, Leeds are still eight points clear of Championship play-offs

Considering the downpour that caused multiple postponements on Saturday, Marcelo Bielsa's bucket might have come in handy if the River Thames had decided to flood Craven Cottage.

But before we discuss Bielsa and whether Leeds are in danger of another Premier League promotion-foiling Christmas collapse, On The Road has a confession to make.

We were originally planning on taking this feature to Ebbsfleet, to see how the non-League side are coping as they scrap for survival under new manager Kevin Watson.

Marcelo Bielsa cannot prevent his Leeds side slipping to a disappointing defeat at Fulham

Fulham's players were under mounting pressure to avoid suffering a fourth straight defeat

Yet their game was postponed on Saturday morning, meaning the only shoulder-barging we might find in Kent would be among last-minute Christmas shoppers in nearby Bluewater.

We also considered visiting Jamie O'Hara's Billericay, to see how they are getting on without madcap owner-manager, Glenn Tamplin, who left the club in September. Tamplin has since claimed he met God, who told him to 'fulfil your purpose, son', and bought Romford. Billericay players are enjoying the newfound calmness in Essex.

Yet their game was postponed, too. So off to Fulham we went, to figure out how such a talented squad were facing a fourth successive loss. Sat behind the press area was David Moyes, clutching a team sheet and appearing to take notes. Perhaps the out-of-work manager got wind of a potential vacancy.

The pressure was on Scott Parker. Fulham's owners want promotion and they were facing a Leeds side who were unbeaten in their last 11 league games. A win for Leeds would have left them top of the tree for Christmas, owing to West Brom's home draw with Brentford. Yet they tripped up.

Talismanic striker Aleksandar Mitrovic converted an early penalty to set the hosts on their way

Fulham boss Scott Parker gives an appreciate hug of thanks for his goal to the Serbian hitman

Fulham took the game to the visitors, Aleksandar Mitrovic won 50-50s like his Christmas dinner depended on it, and Leeds suffered a surprise loss. Parallels were immediately drawn to what happened at this stage of the season in 2018-19.

After beating Blackburn 3-2 on Boxing Day last year, Leeds were six points clear of third. They were unbeaten in seven and very much on their way to the Premier League.

Then they went on to win just two of their next seven and, despite spending 105 days atop the Championship, missed out on reaching the land of untold riches. So after letting a 3-0 lead slip to draw 3-3 against 10-man Cardiff last week, and losing their unbeaten run here, Bielsa was asked for his thoughts.

Using his translator to relay those thoughts sentence by sentence, he suggested it is a load of nonsense to think they might suffer Christmas blues all over again.

'I don't link performances with dates,' he said.

Fair enough. Leeds are now eight points clear of third, so they should embrace it. But Bielsa was then asked whether his players have to think positively about the lead they have, rather than negatively about the lead that might have been.

The man with the bucket used the word 'important' six times in his answer, explaining how his players should realise the significance of dropping points. That sounded more like a coach who is concerned about deja vu, of missing out on the big reward.

Just after the break, Patrick Bamford converted an equalising goal for high-flying Leeds

Young midfielder Josh Onomah was on hand to score the decisive winning goal for Fulham

This win lifted Fulham to third on Saturday night — though they slipped to fourth after Sheffield Wednesday's victory — and favourable fixtures follow against Luton and Stoke.

It should come as no surprise that Mitrovic remains their talisman. He buried his seventh-minute penalty — a soft decision by referee Tim Robinson — before ex-Spurs player Josh Onomah sealed the win for Fulham.

Parker was quirky in his post-match analysis, claiming he didn't want his team to score a third. He wanted Onomah, 22, to finish as the match-winner. That he did.

Leeds will try to avoid reading too much into this defeat, but you wonder if Bielsa fears a visit from the Ghost of Christmas Past this week. They blew a six-point lead at this stage last season. Now eight points ahead, surely not again?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7819711/ON-ROAD-Fulham-squeeze-Leeds-dent-automatic-promotion-hopes.html

WhiteJC

Tim Ream's Fulham tops Jack Harrison's Leeds in battle of English Championship giants

In a battle of two of the top teams in the English Championship, a former New York Red Bulls player helped lead his team over an ex-New York City FC standout.

On Saturday, Tim Ream, a Red Bulls defender before a transfer to Bolton Wanderers in 2012, helped lead Fulham to a 2-1 victory over Leeds United, which features Jack Harrison, who was a rising star with NYCFC before his transfer to Manchester City in 2018.

The 32-year-old Ream, a regular on the US men's national team, played the full 90 minutes for Fulham, which raced in front on an Aleksandar Mitrovic penalty kick in the seventh minute.

Harrison also went the full 90 minutes for Leeds, which leveled through Patrick Bamford in the 54th minute before Josh Onomah netted the winner 15 minutes later.

Leeds are second in the Championship table, three points behind leaders West Brom, while Fulham are fourth, one point behind surging Sheffield Wednesday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/22/tim-reams-fulham-tops-jack-harrisons-leeds-battle-english-championship-giants