https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tom Cairney

Started by ex-Pat, January 04, 2020, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 04, 2020, 10:11:01 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 04, 2020, 09:29:44 PM
I think he has been our best midfielder most games this season, at least when played in a good position. His game is not about the goals, or even assists since that is just a bonus. It is to keep the ball in a constructive manner and offer an outlet for the other players. He usually does this very well, and certainly better than most players in this division.

For the people saying he can't tackle, I suggest you watch the games closer and you might be surprised. He is quite strong in the tackle, and has finally also started to win headers.

In my opinion.

What games in your opinion has Cairney been our best midfielder?

I do not feel like going through all games, and I haven't made a list of best midfielder every game (who does?). It was more an expression of my general feeling after most games. But Derby, Leeds and QPR are relatively recent examples where I could say with some certainty that I have thought Cairney the best midfielder.

From a quick check of MOTM results (seem my search excluded many games for some reason), I can see that I also thought him best at least for Blackburn, Millwall, Huddersfield, Reading (away), WBA and Wigan from the earlier games.

There's the odd games I have preferred the performance of other midfielders over Cairney. Arter had a good game or two early season, and both Onomah and Johansen havehad some very good games. For example.

Andy S

I think like most of our squad this season there has been a little inconsistency. They can all be good on their day and when they are not carrying knocks

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 05, 2020, 12:14:24 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 04, 2020, 10:11:01 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 04, 2020, 09:29:44 PM
I think he has been our best midfielder most games this season, at least when played in a good position. His game is not about the goals, or even assists since that is just a bonus. It is to keep the ball in a constructive manner and offer an outlet for the other players. He usually does this very well, and certainly better than most players in this division.

For the people saying he can't tackle, I suggest you watch the games closer and you might be surprised. He is quite strong in the tackle, and has finally also started to win headers.

In my opinion.

What games in your opinion has Cairney been our best midfielder?

I do not feel like going through all games, and I haven't made a list of best midfielder every game (who does?). It was more an expression of my general feeling after most games. But Derby, Leeds and QPR are relatively recent examples where I could say with some certainty that I have thought Cairney the best midfielder.

From a quick check of MOTM results (seem my search excluded many games for some reason), I can see that I also thought him best at least for Blackburn, Millwall, Huddersfield, Reading (away), WBA and Wigan from the earlier games.

Appreciate that football is a game of (often wildly) differing opinions, you've given a more precise answer than I'd anticipated. Apart from Derby at home and the odd long distance goal I just cannot see where Cairney has had a standout performance. Nothing against him at all personally, I thought he was a lot more consistent two seasons ago to the extent that he made the team tick.

Sting of the North

Maybe it has coincided with the team as a whole being far less consistent? Which of course could lead to a chicken or egg discussion.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Andy S on January 05, 2020, 12:27:38 AM
I think like most of our squad this season there has been a little inconsistency. They can all be good on their day and when they are not carrying knocks

Indeed.

MrFFC

We played well today but Cairney is still our best midfielder no doubt about that & if we want to be promoted he will be absolutely vital in helping us do that
Come on you Whites!! :)

Lyle from Hangeland

Cairney is a bit of a luxury player. He's a defensive liability in the middle of the park because he's not very well rounded and is slow. Lovely skill, but the modern game is about running up and down non-stop. Cairney doesn't run up and down well.

colinwhite

It depends on how we are going to play.Picking up the ball from our defence there is no-one better.He always has asolution for this ,rarely gives the ball away,and discourages teams from pressing us too high as he can almost always play through it. If we go long and he is number ten then i dot think hes up to much. too immobile for the offensive role for me ,I prefer him deeper ,and pulling the strigs fromin front of our back 4. Theres no-one in the championship better than that than him ,hes class.

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on January 05, 2020, 08:26:34 AM
It depends on how we are going to play.Picking up the ball from our defence there is no-one better.He always has asolution for this ,rarely gives the ball away,and discourages teams from pressing us too high as he can almost always play through it. If we go long and he is number ten then i dot think hes up to much. too immobile for the offensive role for me ,I prefer him deeper ,and pulling the strigs fromin front of our back 4. Theres no-one in the championship better than that than him ,hes class.

+1