https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 08/01/20...

Started by WhiteJC, January 08, 2020, 08:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: hovewhite on January 08, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
Quote from: whitejc on January 08, 2020, 08:58:01 AM
Are Fulham fans are better off in the Championship?

Many football supporters have directed their ire at the EFL in recent times. After the plight of clubs like Bury and Bolton, it's perhaps understandable. They have been let down by an organization which should work to support them. However, where I'm are concerned, life in the Championship trumps the Premier League every time.

In his debut article for Fulhamish, Marco De Novelis compares life in the Premier League against life in the Championship.

It's another cold away day up north. The Euston forecourt hums with the murmuring of a hundred or so Fulham fans. Boarding the train, there are the young VK drinkers, the tweeters, the sniffers, the away day sleepers, and some idiot in fancy dress.

This is Fulham away in the Championship. Fulham at Barnsley; Burton; Sheffield; Stoke. Trips to small industrial towns, cheap pubs, and watered-down lager. This is the romance that the Premier League has left behind.

On September 15th 2018, I turned my back on the Premier League. It was Manchester City away. The weather was typically dreary. The locals were typically dreary. The ground wasn't anywhere near the train station.

We arrived at the garish plastic structure for kick off. We passed by the airport-style security and the half-and-half scarves. Two minutes in we were one-nil down. Sané goal; Fernandinho got the assist.

For 88 minutes (plus stoppage time), we watched City's 28 shots, 736 passes, and 65% possession. We watched City fans wavin their plastic flags, whilst watching the game through their mobiles phones. At half time, I had a Carlsberg in a plastic cup.

In the 2018-19 Premier League season, our £100 million team mustered seven wins, five draws, and 26 losses. We conceded 81 goals. André Schürrle played 27 times.

We were relegated, disgraced, and humiliated, but—for myself and a few others I'm sure—returning to the Championship was a welcome consolation.

Championship > Premiership
In the Championship, there's a connection between football club and fan that you just don't get in the Premier League. The club needs us more; they can't rely on a passing tourist trade.

There are more players we can identify with. Home-grown Fulham youth players—Bettinelli, Sessegnon, and Rodák—get their chance. Gone are the days of the travelling journeymen: Simon Elliot; Derek Boateng; William Kvist.

There's not the same level of media coverage in the Championship. Avoiding Gary Lineker's sneering gaze on Match of the Day means the embarrassment of a loss is contained. You go again midweek.

Every season, you get six new teams to play; six new grounds to travel to. Who can forget those away wins at Newcastle in 2016-17 or Millwall in 2017-18; or Fofana scoring a last minute goal at Huddersfield; or Popworld in Swansea.

I have had more enjoyment as an away supporter in the Championship—even under Kit Symons—than in the 14 years we've played in the Prem.

No Ambition?
Yes, as a Premier League club, we got to the Europa League final. Yes, we beat Chelsea; we stayed up at Portsmouth in the sun; we bested in Basel in the snow. Papa Bouba Diop danced a little jig in front of the cottage and there was a massive ruck at Juve. There were good times, for sure.

However, there's a counterargument here. What if Mitro leaves? What if the money goes? Who's going to fill the new Riverside stand? Where's my ambition, Mark Hughes?

But take a step back. Think about your life as a Premier League Fulham supporter; striving for that impossible dream; destined never to win it; knowing sixth is the best you can hope for; but eternally struggling to compete while all around you things change...

Tourists take over the Hammersmith; there are home fans in Fulham away ends. Tony Khan hosts Thursday night wrestling at the Cottage; Shahid sips espresso martini's in the Riverside's rooftop bar.

Think about West Ham in the London Stadium. Think about Arsenal Fan TV.

Why not go for something we as fans enjoy; where you can go on a 23-game unbeaten run; where you can visit towns with historic stadiums and working men's clubs and friendly Yorkshiremen. "Fulham?" they say. "Ah, we like Fulham."

Why not settle for a league which is home to Marcelo Bielsa, Wayne Rooney, and AK47. Why not settle for a league system that's still less polluted by TV money and half-and-half scarves.

Leicester City is not going to happen again. So, don't hate the Championship. Love it, savour it, because it's probably the best we'll ever have.

The trick for Fulham this year is to do just well enough to ensure an entertaining season and just badly enough to avoid promotion. In Scott Parker, I think we've found the perfect man.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-01-08-are-fulham-fans-are-better-off-in-the-championship/
great article,agree 100%

One sided argument, completely disagree.

General

Quote from: Twig on January 08, 2020, 10:03:12 AM
Quote from: hovewhite on January 08, 2020, 09:34:13 AM

Many football supporters have directed their ire at the EFL in recent times. After the plight of clubs like Bury and Bolton, it's perhaps understandable. They have been let down by an organization which should work to support them. However, where I'm are concerned, life in the Championship trumps the Premier League every time.

In his debut article for Fulhamish, Marco De Novelis compares life in the Premier League against life in the Championship.

It's another cold away day up north. The Euston forecourt hums with the murmuring of a hundred or so Fulham fans. Boarding the train, there are the young VK drinkers, the tweeters, the sniffers, the away day sleepers, and some idiot in fancy dress.

This is Fulham away in the Championship. Fulham at Barnsley; Burton; Sheffield; Stoke. Trips to small industrial towns, cheap pubs, and watered-down lager. This is the romance that the Premier League has left behind.

On September 15th 2018, I turned my back on the Premier League. It was Manchester City away. The weather was typically dreary. The locals were typically dreary. The ground wasn't anywhere near the train station.

We arrived at the garish plastic structure for kick off. We passed by the airport-style security and the half-and-half scarves. Two minutes in we were one-nil down. Sané goal; Fernandinho got the assist.

For 88 minutes (plus stoppage time), we watched City's 28 shots, 736 passes, and 65% possession. We watched City fans wavin their plastic flags, whilst watching the game through their mobiles phones. At half time, I had a Carlsberg in a plastic cup.

In the 2018-19 Premier League season, our £100 million team mustered seven wins, five draws, and 26 losses. We conceded 81 goals. André Schürrle played 27 times.

We were relegated, disgraced, and humiliated, but—for myself and a few others I'm sure—returning to the Championship was a welcome consolation.

In the Championship, there's a connection between football club and fan that you just don't get in the Premier League. The club needs us more; they can't rely on a passing tourist trade.

There are more players we can identify with. Home-grown Fulham youth players—Bettinelli, Sessegnon, and Rodák—get their chance. Gone are the days of the travelling journeymen: Simon Elliot; Derek Boateng; William Kvist.

There's not the same level of media coverage in the Championship. Avoiding Gary Lineker's sneering gaze on Match of the Day means the embarrassment of a loss is contained. You go again midweek.

Every season, you get six new teams to play; six new grounds to travel to. Who can forget those away wins at Newcastle in 2016-17 or Millwall in 2017-18; or Fofana scoring a last minute goal at Huddersfield; or Popworld in Swansea.

I have had more enjoyment as an away supporter in the Championship—even under Kit Symons—than in the 14 years we've played in the Prem.

No Ambition?
Yes, as a Premier League club, we got to the Europa League final. Yes, we beat Chelsea; we stayed up at Portsmouth in the sun; we bested in Basel in the snow. Papa Bouba Diop danced a little jig in front of the cottage and there was a massive ruck at Juve. There were good times, for sure.

However, there's a counterargument here. What if Mitro leaves? What if the money goes? Who's going to fill the new Riverside stand? Where's my ambition, Mark Hughes?

But take a step back. Think about your life as a Premier League Fulham supporter; striving for that impossible dream; destined never to win it; knowing sixth is the best you can hope for; but eternally struggling to compete while all around you things change...

Tourists take over the Hammersmith; there are home fans in Fulham away ends. Tony Khan hosts Thursday night wrestling at the Cottage; Shahid sips espresso martini's in the Riverside's rooftop bar.

Why not go for something we as fans enjoy; where you can go on a 23-game unbeaten run; where you can visit towns with historic stadiums and working men's clubs and friendly Yorkshiremen. "Fulham?" they say. "Ah, we like Fulham."

Why not settle for a league which is home to Marcelo Bielsa, Wayne Rooney, and AK47. Why not settle for a league system that's still less polluted by TV money and half-and-half scarves.

Leicester City is not going to happen again. So, don't hate the Championship. Love it, savour it, because it's probably the best we'll ever have.

The trick for Fulham this year is to do just well enough to ensure an entertaining season and just badly enough to avoid promotion. In Scott Parker, I think we've found the perfect man.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-01-08-are-fulham-fans-are-better-off-in-the-championship/
great article,agree 100%

One sided argument, completely disagree.

Definitely one sided..which is a shame. Personally whilst I've enjoyed the championship there'll always be a level of second rate to it. I want us to get the premiership right and with to help khan's although they have f***ed it up monumentally both times we've been there, if they can get it right and then back a good manager when we're there then that'd be fantastic. There's no point fooling yourself every year to want to be top of the championship but want to stay in it. It doesn't work that way.

LVBPTS

No Ambition?

i absolutely love this! massive well done
Supporter since 2000

bill taylors apprentice

No Ambition?

Very easy for me to agree with the general idea but there's one problem!
As any fan will tell you, every game your team plays is a game you want them to win, even against the PL elite.
And wouldn't you want your team to achieve success e.g. win promotion and enjoy all the happiness that brings.

So I say, reach for success and worry about competing with the elite when you get there, yes I know its the hope that kills you when it all goes wrong but sports not about making do!

Jamie88

For me, it's far too defeatist to just accept that we're happy in the Championship. Yes there is the possibility of more misery, OR the opportunity to achieve what Wolves have/are achieving right now. Let's not forget that they went up the same year as us and are now looking at a last 32 tie in the Europa League all the while still in 7th place in the League. I know I'd prefer to trade places with them right now.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on January 08, 2020, 02:53:58 PM

No Ambition?

Very easy for me to agree with the general idea but there's one problem!
As any fan will tell you, every game your team plays is a game you want them to win, even against the PL elite.
And wouldn't you want your team to achieve success e.g. win promotion and enjoy all the happiness that brings.

So I say, reach for success and worry about competing with the elite when you get there, yes I know its the hope that kills you when it all goes wrong but sports not about making do!
How about win enough games to come 3rd but lose through dodgy referees decision in Final at Wembley. Honor preserved and we get to go next year. Two of the demoted teams get automatics the following season and rinse and repeat. We lose Mitro and Knockaert, Cairney (hopefully) and then bring through new players for us to feud over. We enjoy winning way more games than we lose - not happening in the Prem - cheaper seats and we just miss out on temporary glory. I can think of worse problems to have.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Dixie

Funnily enough I have been saying all season how much i enjoy the Championship! Could be that last season tainted the Prem for me, but i got talking to an old timer fan (60 years) in McDonald's before the Leeds game and he said that he wished we could win the play-off but stay in the Championship... sounded like a good idea to me!!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

CottagersOnTour

You can't win a play-off final and not be in the premier league and I wouldn't trade that day out at Wembley for anything!

The 4-1 drubbing of Juventus and subsequent run to the final will live longer in the memory though and we simply wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath unless we played in the Premier league.

Sting of the North

Also, the reference to Leicester not happening again may be true in the absolute sense that it is very unlikely that such a "small" club will win the league. However, Leicester is currently in second place in the league, with a firm grip on a CL place after having run the club very well for several years now. If the league title was much a fluke (however impressive and worthy of recognition), the current CL spot is not in my opinion. That could be Fulham, in the best of worlds, so I disagree that there's nothing to aim for. You just need to cut the hyperbole and use your imagination a little.

Also disagree with the general tone and one-sidedness of the arguments. Using Elliott, Boateng and Kvist as examples instead of Murphy, Duff and Hangeland. It's not like we don't see the same type of bad transfers in the Championship, just that the players are even worse (Fotheringham! Chihi! Mattilla!).

Lastly, dislike the tone used against our owners and the comparisons with for example West Hams new stadium (heard about the new Riverside stand? We're not going to a soulless modern stadium anytime soon). 

But maybe this was just meant as a tongue in cheek appreciation for the Championship, in which case the absurd lack of contrasting perspective is fine. If so, I agree that the Championship does indeed have its charm and advantages.