watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Watford want to sign Joe Bryan!

Started by Fernhurst, January 08, 2020, 12:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

For whatever reason his career at Fulham has never got going. Admittedly he came into a team that struggled at Prem level but he was very much part of the problem. Since dropping down back to champ he hasn't looked any more comfortable. It maybe that another club can get more from him but I think its sell sell sell...

SP

Matt10

I know it's not saying much, but he is our highest rated defender, believe it or not. I am not sure why we would want to sell him. He's also bagged a goal, and will most likely set up others if continued to be played in that LWB/LW spot. I hope he stays, but won't blame him if he leaves. Think we've just barely tapped into his potential last match vs Villa.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Matt10 on January 08, 2020, 04:42:00 PM
I actually liked Joe as a winger. He saved a goal, backheel flick to Cav which should've been an assist, set up Knockaert for his, then almost scored twice with both feet. Not saying it's Chambers level of conversion, but if Parker gets Bryan to be a true winger, with defensive prowess, he will be a huge asset. Yes, it will result in some mixes of the formation - but there is a lot of potential there.

Agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Matt10 on January 08, 2020, 09:14:39 PM
I know it's not saying much, but he is our highest rated defender, believe it or not. I am not sure why we would want to sell him. He's also bagged a goal, and will most likely set up others if continued to be played in that LWB/LW spot. I hope he stays, but won't blame him if he leaves. Think we've just barely tapped into his potential last match vs Villa.

I also agree with this post of yours.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 09, 2020, 12:14:06 AM
I actually liked Joe as a winger. He saved a goal, backheel flick to Cav which should've been an assist, set up Knockaert for his, then almost scored twice with both feet. Not saying it's Chambers level of conversion, but if Parker gets Bryan to be a true winger, with defensive prowess, he will be a huge asset. Yes, it will result in some mixes of the formation - but there is a lot of potential there.

Agree

I have wanted to see Joe Bryan as a left-winger for a while now, because I wanted to see a player that is strong defensively in his position. Bryan is very strong defensively as a left winger, like Ryan Sessegnon was and we need to defend high up the pitch. Many of our best players Cairney, Reid, Knockaert, Cav and Mitro are better at the attacking duties of their positions, being no better defensively than average Championshio players like Onamah, Kebano, Ayite and Kamara.

We should keep Joe Bryan as he is great upfront of we are ahead or in defense if we are behind, plus he is not bad if the score is even (upfront or in defense). In addition, Joe Bryan has played about 13 games as a central midfielder for Bristol, a few times at right back and even once as a central back so a good utility player.

If we had another LB, we could have used Joe Bryan as holding midfielder during our holding midfielder injury crisis instead of Onamah, Stefjo or Cairney allowing those players to work further forward. Denis Odoi (RB, RCB, LCB & LB), Joe Bryan (LB, DM & LW) and Bobby Reid (CM, AM, RW, CF & LW) can virtually cover any outfield position between them, which will be important as the budget and squad gets smaller.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 09, 2020, 01:33:56 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 09, 2020, 12:14:06 AM

Agree

I have wanted to see Joe Bryan as a left-winger for a while now, because I wanted to see a player that is strong defensively in his position. Bryan is very strong defensively as a left winger, like Ryan Sessegnon was and we need to defend high up the pitch. Many of our best players Cairney, Reid, Knockaert, Cav and Mitro are better at the attacking duties of their positions, being no better defensively than average Championshio players like Onamah, Kebano, Ayite and Kamara.

We should keep Joe Bryan as he is great upfront of we are ahead or in defense if we are behind, plus he is not bad if the score is even (upfront or in defense). In addition, Joe Bryan has played about 13 games as a central midfielder for Bristol, a few times at right back and even once as a central back so a good utility player.

If we had another LB, we could have used Joe Bryan as holding midfielder during our holding midfielder injury crisis instead of Onamah, Stefjo or Cairney allowing those players to work further forward. Denis Odoi (RB, RCB, LCB & LB), Joe Bryan (LB, DM & LW) and Bobby Reid (CM, AM, RW, CF & LW) can virtually cover any outfield position between them, which will be important as the budget and squad gets smaller.

Agree Rational Fan, good observations and philosophy. 

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

If Watford want Joe Bryan, then it's because Watford's DOF thinks Joe Bryan is the best available LB. If we sell Joe Bryan, then Tony Khan will have to buy the left back that Watford's DOF didn't want.

filham

Quote from: howitis on January 08, 2020, 09:03:20 PM
For whatever reason his career at Fulham has never got going. Admittedly he came into a team that struggled at Prem level but he was very much part of the problem. Since dropping down back to champ he hasn't looked any more comfortable. It maybe that another club can get more from him but I think its sell sell sell...
I tend to agree but left back is not an easy position to fill, we should not let Bryan leave until we have a good replacement who we can get in this window.

Bill2

I cannot understand this anti Joe Bryan rhetoric. I feel that he is a good left back, gets forward well and has a good shot on him. Is he the best, of course not otherwise he would be playing for Man City but is he the worst, far from it.

If we sell we sell, as long was they have someone lined up to replace him as I cant think of anyone coming through the system or on the bench to replace him with.

MikeTheCubed

Paul Konchesky used to get a lot of criticism, was then signed by Roy for Liverpool and I don't think we've had a better left back since (not counting Sess as left back).

Dr Quinzel

Good authority this is a story planted by his agent.

Pushing for a new contract already? One from the TC playbook.

Andy S

Senderos wasn't a bad left back but he was guilt6 of having going to sleep moments in games. Liverpool supporters never rated him. As far as joe Bryan is concerned he plays on the left and most of the goals against us have Been from the left because he hasn't picked up his man. Wake up and smell the coffee

Woolly Mammoth

We are short of left backs/wing backs as it is, so what logic is there in selling Joe Bryan who we need in our squad, it should not even be considered.

Never forget your Roots.

JEEVES

Quote from: Andy S on January 09, 2020, 01:58:08 PM
Senderos wasn't a bad left back but he was guilt6 of having going to sleep moments in games. Liverpool supporters never rated him. As far as joe Bryan is concerned he plays on the left and most of the goals against us have Been from the left because he hasn't picked up his man. Wake up and smell the coffee

Senderos wasn't a good CB! Let alone LB.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 09, 2020, 06:38:23 PM
We are short of left backs/wing backs as it is, so what logic is there in selling Joe Bryan who we need in our squad, it should not even be considered.

We have a financial advantage this season, we should be using that to bring in some new players and keep the old players. I believe in buying players partly based on their performance at their previous club, but until such players have decent performance and statistics at Fulham, it doesn't mean much. Compare statistics (or video footage) for many players at different clubs for example Salah and De Bruyne, and the difference is huge.

If we bring better players we shouldn't be selling Mawson, Ream or Bryan until after those players have frozen them out of the matchday 18. We don't sell players because they are "probably not needed", we sell them when they are definitely not needed (not in the matchday 18) and/or the offer is too good to refused plus will never be offered again (e.g. £20m for Bryan).

Tony Khan cannot be expected to get every signing correct, the average DOF (ie club recruitment) gets good value on 40% of their purchases and 60% of their sales. Tony Khan is good at some aspects of his role (getting the owner to back him) but at getting good value has demonstrated to be "very average" so 40% success is all we should expect and this we should keep Joe Bryan and Tim Ream.

The Rational Fan

About Watford, if I was them I'd try to get Ryan Sessegnon on loan as a left back. Spurs might be willing, they want him to be left back a half season would do him good as LB.

RaySmith

We need to keep Joe.

Maybe has some  defensive limitations, but is very good going forward, and looked a revelation in a further advanced role v Villa.

Sess, who is  a right back, has been injured for a long time, and is just coming back.

Whatver,  selling Joe would be a loss at the moment. I hope and believe he can  prosper further at Fulham.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on January 11, 2020, 05:06:09 AM
We need to keep Joe.

Maybe has some  defensive limitations, but is very good going forward, and looked a revelation in a further advanced role v Villa.

Sess, who is  a right back, has been injured for a long time, and is just coming back.

Whatver,  selling Joe would be a loss at the moment. I hope and believe he can  prosper further at Fulham.

Maybe, we should sell Watford MLM for left back.

Dr Quinzel

This is an agent stirring things up. He's going nowhere.