Author Topic: Goal of the decade  (Read 905 times)

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
Goal of the decade
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:12:48 PM »
Kasami vs Dempsey now in the final

Sorry but for me, you cannot put these goals head-to-head in the same competition. It's apples and oranges.

Dempsey goal, 8/10 for technique, 11/10 for significance of the goal and that moment

Kasami goal, 11/10 for technique but 1/10 for significance

IMO there should have been two competitions, one for the technical aspect and another 'moment of the decade' for goals like Dempsey v Juventus, Gera v Hamburg etc

Offline love4ffc

• Twitter @Love4FFC
  • Global Moderator
  • Gentleman Jim
  • What could go wrong? We're Fulham.........COYW!
Re: Goal of the decade
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:48:13 PM »
I would agree with that on the sheer significance factor.  The Dempsey goal was by far more important to the club as it was the Euro's.  Kasami, while an extremely lovely goal, was for the FA Cup.  Not putting the cup down but the cup and Europa League are on two different levels.

Online The Rational Fan

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:02:50 AM »

Dempsey goal, 8/10 for technique, 11/10 for significance of the goal and that moment

Kasami goal, 11/10 for technique but 1/10 for significance

You're missing another aspect PRESSURE, as a fan it was hard to hold it together what was previously simple becomes hard, as a player ever more so. If we want to award the "goal of the decade" to insignificant goals without pressure, then why not give it to Anguissa's goal in training at Motspur Park.

Dempsey goal, 8/10 for technique, 11/10 for significance,  12/10 for pressure and 10/10 opponents
Kasami goal, 11/10 for technique, 1/10 for significance, 1/10 for pressure and 7/10 opponents

There are lots of goals that are significant that actually don't have a lot of pressure, like Fulham's goal to defeat Everton in 1975, because no one expected that goal to lead to an easy draw to the FA Cup Final. With Dempsey goal, everyone knew if he scored or hemissed, it would never be forgotten by Fulham Fans.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:26:35 AM by The Rational Fan »

Offline ealex40

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
I would agree with that on the sheer significance factor.  The Dempsey goal was by far more important to the club as it was the Euro's.  Kasami, while an extremely lovely goal, was for the FA Cup.  Not putting the cup down but the cup and Europa League are on two different levels.

Kasami's goal was in a mid-week Premiership game at Crystal Palace.

Online elgreenio

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Fox
  • a win is a win is a win
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:47:59 AM »
Steve Sidwell's least favourite goal isn't it? overshadowing his lovely strike in the same game.

For some reason the goal this decade that sticks in my head is AJ's hat-trick goal against QPR in the 6-0 win. Murphy's intelligently slotted pass from a quick free kick to round off Johnson's 3rd of the day in the sunshine at the cottage.

Offline RaySmith

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 05:24:01 AM »
Murphy made a similar pass for Kamara for  the goal that  began the Great Escape under Roy at City, as well as scoring himself with  the pen rebound, and crucially in the final game of the season at Pompey - a rare header, which finally kept us up - on goal difference I think.

I do think the significance of a goal is  crucial in  judging it's comparative quality and value.
Well sheer technical quality is  somewhat subjective anyway, though no-one can doubt the  technical quality of Kasami's goal at Palace, which did look as if it might signify a turn around in our fortunes as we beat Palace - but was actually a false dawn, since we went down anyway, something which no-one had really thought would happen.

Whereas, Dempsey's goal helped us get to the Europa Final, and was also of great technical quality, if not the same level as Kasami's, but you could argue about that, but I do think its the goal's significance which should be the ultimate test of its merit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:26:44 AM by RaySmith »

Offline Finnans Right Peg

• tjl
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »
While kasamis goal was a brilliant pirce of skill and technique, Dempseys goal was worth a lot more to us as was murphys header on the last day of the season to keep us up .i wonder how many headers murphy got in is career coudnt be many .

So I would deffo go with Dempseys 1st and then murphy and then kasami just beacause of what they ment to us fans at the time

Offline Dr Know

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:25:36 AM »
I’ve always thought Dempseys goal was a mis-hit cross !

Offline toshes mate

• Gentleman Jim
  • Vitam Impendere Vero
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 09:00:25 AM »
Perhaps the significance of something is that you remember it, and there are many many memories you do not instantly recall until someone says 'do you remember that  time ...' 

My personal goal of the decade probably isn't even on a list anywhere but it got people talking about Fulham's possession football with twenty passes plus to score devastating goals, and I am not going to complain or change my mind if either Dempsey or Kasami win the vote. 

Offline General

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
Didn't Andre schurrle score a goal against burnley similar to the kasami one? He scored two scorchers against burnley but the away game in particular was similar.

Offline filham

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
The goal that will be remembered because it was a great goal and because of its timing in the match and its significance not to mention the reputation of the opponents is without doubt Dempsey's.

Offline ByTheRiver

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »
Agree with the original post.

I've somehow missed all of this, can anyone tell me if Bobby Z vs Shakhtar was featured in the earlier rounds?

Gotta be up there too for all of the reasons mentioned. We were heading out and were being thoroughly outplayed (one of the best teams I've ever seen at the cottage, that vintage Shakhtar). Was sat right behind it in the Hammy as it flew in. Superb (but admittedly, probably quite 'hit and hope') strike.

Offline Sgt Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 06:07:12 PM »
Dempsey should get the award just for controlling Etuhu's awful pass! Football is about moments and I know which one I will remember until my last breath.

Offline YankeeJim

• Gentleman Jim
  • Bring on the Championship!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »
I’ve always thought Dempseys goal was a mis-hit cross !

He has said that he was going for goal in an interview here in the colonies. Course, he usually doesn't get credit when due on these boards. He never has been a particularly likable character.

Offline Fulhamboy1111

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 11:23:12 PM »
Read all the posts and clearly there are many different metrics to judge goals by, however for sheer joy and emotion, goose bumps and all, Dempsey’s winner against Juve gets me every time. The replays when you see us Whites’ go mental are priceless. COYWS 👍🏻🔥

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 12:03:49 AM »
All I can say is that real time slowed to a crawl when it launched.   I still remember it so clearly.  In slow motion.  And then how it kissed the net just barely inside the upper  corner.  I think my heart stopped.  How it kind of drifted in, just past the desperate fingers of the keeper.  I've seen a lot of great goals by Fulham players, but I won't ever forget this one.  And the fans in attendance?  Do you recall the time it took for the collective to absorb it before the place went nuts?  Everyone needing a few seconds to believe what just happened.  If it wasn't such an important goal at the time (for the differential), I wouldn't have built up the moment in real time in my own mind.