more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

2nd goalkeeper

Started by Finnans Right Peg, January 12, 2020, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie88

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2020, 11:10:50 PM
I like Fabri, if Betts goes he'd might consider coming back. Fabri still has conceeded less than a goal per game in his last 70 league games.

Yes but he can't even get into Mallorca's first team - he has made one league start for them all season and has been on the bench the entire season. Also, it's important to mention that those 70 league games you refer to were in the Turkish League when he was playing for one of the strongest teams in Besiktas. Those matches were also over two seasons ago.

Penfold

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 13, 2020, 04:29:03 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 13, 2020, 02:06:59 AM
I like Fabri, if Betts goes he'd might consider coming back. Fabri still has conceeded less than a goal per game in his last 70 league games.

I like Sharon Stone but I wouldn't put her in goal either, even though she is taller than Fabri and catches the ball at its highest point, as opposed to flapping at it.
If you are Fabri's agent, please own up now, which would explain your undeniable support for him.
I cannot see him with any chance of playing for the first XL again, unless there is an injury crisis of epic proportions.

Say what you want, but Fabri makes saves and keeps clean sheets like he did this weekend in the Copa del Rey. A decent number two for Liga A and for us.

I wouldn't big up a clean sheet against Zamora (4th tier of Spain). Could easily point out one league game (v Valladolid) and 3 goals conceded.

Jim©

People love to be harsh about Fabri yet he's clearly a more competent keeper than Betts (who FFC fans rightly love as he's always been here).
His save rate was the best of all our keepers in the prem last season by some distance. The worst? Betts (in fact 37th out of 38 keepers used in the division).

Jamie88

Quote from: Jim© on January 13, 2020, 12:15:25 PM
People love to be harsh about Fabri yet he's clearly a more competent keeper than Betts (who FFC fans rightly love as he's always been here).
His save rate was the best of all our keepers in the prem last season by some distance. The worst? Betts (in fact 37th out of 38 keepers used in the division).

I don't think that's clear at all. Let's not forget Betts has won us matches over the years despite him going downhill of late. He's never been perfect but he played a big part in our promotion.
Fabri, on the other hand, looked poor from the off and is yet to prove himself for us.
So no idea how you think he's clearly a more competent keeper!

Jim©

Fabri played two games for us last season in which he faced 21 (!!!) shots on target and conceded 5. For balance, Betts came in the nest two, faced 7 shots on target and conceded 4.
Surely people cannot blame him for defeats when he was that busy?

I saw enough shot stopping ability from him in those first two games to merit a run- he was IMO chucked under the bus a little early.

MJG

Quote from: Jim© on January 13, 2020, 12:59:12 PM
Fabri played two games for us last season in which he faced 21 (!!!) shots on target and conceded 5. For balance, Betts came in the nest two, faced 7 shots on target and conceded 4.
Surely people cannot blame him for defeats when he was that busy?

I saw enough shot stopping ability from him in those first two games to merit a run- he was IMO chucked under the bus a little early.
I'll keep saying it,. go back to the Spurs game and we were only still in it because him at times.
Just the views of a long term fan

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 13, 2020, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 13, 2020, 06:16:33 AM
I had to get the police to Sharon Stone,she keeps texting me in middle of the night saying she coming over to film in London, she hates hotels and could she come and stay with me. And that bleedin Kylie Minogue keeps following me round supermarket, who do they think they are.😜

Not something to joke about given the papers have reported that police have had problems with people following around Kylie Minogue near Fulham last year.

Give it a rest...
You wouldn't understand the joke.
It was Pete n Dud and Sophia Loren originally.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 13, 2020, 12:33:34 PM

Fabri, on the other hand, looked poor from the off and is yet to prove himself for us.

Why I think he's clearly a more competent keeper? Simple in the season of 17/18, Fabri's performance for Betikas was better than Betts performances for Fulham. Betts 17/18 was his best ever season by far, and Fabri's 16/17 and 17/18 were equally good, but most importantly Betts had an injury since then where as there is every reason to believe Fabri is the same keeper he was in 17/18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-aAr8ixfI

It was absolutely ridiculous that Fabri wasn't put back in the team after we were relegated. He would have clearly proven himself to be a more competent keeper or not, why were we giving loanee Rico practice when ideally we need to either make Fabri our number one or put him in the shop window to sell him.

If you want to have a go at those that think Fabri is a competent keeper, you should talk to Marcelo Bielsa who tried to get him once. It has been rumored that Mauricio Pochettino thinks that Fabri is ok too, I assume he was interested in him only as a backup but still thats something.

MikeW

Surely we don't need any more 'keepers?  We've got about 8 on our books already!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Statto

I don't think that's clear at all. Let's not forget Betts has won us matches over the years despite him going downhill of late. He's never been perfect but he played a big part in our promotion.

I like Betts. He's been with us for a long time, through thick and thin, including some iconic moments after the play-off final and semi-final second leg, and I get the impression he's a top character in the dressing room.
But he's never been a good keeper, even at Championship level IMHO.
Scroll back to transfer threads on this forum in 2016 and 2017 and IIRC it was generally recognised even back then that he was one of the weakest players in the team and the highest priorities for replacement if we wanted to challenge for the top 6.
Yes he has good spells but ultimately he's never really been more than a bottom half/mid-table Championship keeper for me.
And I think the stats are just backing that up.

Penfold

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 13, 2020, 01:20:42 PM

Why I think he's clearly a more competent keeper? Simple in the season of 17/18, Fabri's performance for Betikas was better than Betts performances for Fulham. Betts 17/18 was his best ever season by far, and Fabri's 16/17 and 17/18 were equally good, but most importantly Betts had an injury since then where as there is every reason to believe Fabri is the same keeper he was in 17/18.

It was absolutely ridiculous that Fabri wasn't put back in the team after we were relegated. He would have clearly proven himself to be a more competent keeper or not, why were we giving loanee Rico practice when ideally we need to either make Fabri our number one or put him in the shop window to sell him.

If you want to have a go at those that think Fabri is a competent keeper, you should talk to Marcelo Bielsa who tried to get him once. It has been rumored that Mauricio Pochettino thinks that Fabri is ok too, I assume he was interested in him only as a backup but still thats something.

Problem for Fabri is that coaches at club he's at don't rate him.

Jokanovic, Ranieri and Parker at Fulham and the Mallorca coach has, so far, only selected him as first choice on 3 occasions, twice in cup games v much lower level opposition.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Penfold on January 13, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 13, 2020, 01:20:42 PM

Problem for Fabri is that coaches at club he's at don't rate him.

Jokanovic, Ranieri and Parker at Fulham and the Mallorca coach has, so far, only selected him as first choice on 3 occasions, twice in cup games v much lower level opposition.

That is true, still it was absolutely ridiculous that Fabri wasn't put back in the team after we were relegated, even if only to help sell him for a good price. If we played him and he did ok, we could have easily got an extra £3m which is enough to buy Harrison Reed outright.

Jim©

If I was Fabri, I'd have been a pretty pee'd off person last season. A defence allows 21 shots on target in two games, you play pretty well in both and end up taking the blame.
I'm hardly coming bouncing back into training after that.
And using Ranieri's take on anything doesn't sit hugely well with me.

One thing I'd love to know the ins and outs of, was the sudden change in GK coaching staff early last season. I'm guessing that had something, somehow to do with Fabri.

Penfold

Quote from: Jim© on January 13, 2020, 01:56:35 PM
If I was Fabri, I'd have been a pretty pee'd off person last season. A defence allows 21 shots on target in two games, you play pretty well in both and end up taking the blame.
I'm hardly coming bouncing back into training after that.
And using Ranieri's take on anything doesn't sit hugely well with me.

One thing I'd love to know the ins and outs of, was the sudden change in GK coaching staff early last season. I'm guessing that had something, somehow to do with Fabri.

I read somewhere that a goalkeeping coach recommended Fabri and left the club fairly soon after. Might be bull though.

Not sure how long his contract is, but it's probably going to be spent out on loan. His lack of game time in last year and a half is unlikely to encourage many buyers.

Jamie88

Still don't see why we want a guy who can't even manage being Mallorca's no. 1

Jim©

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 13, 2020, 03:09:03 PM

You could have said the same about
Saha- don't want the guy who's hardly scored for Metz
Boa- Fans at Southampton laugh about how bad he is
Murphy- can't get any game time at all at Spurs
Brede- playing in the Danish league is hardly top level
etc etc etc etc

junior white

Apparently Cardiff want 12 million for etheridge, also think we have offered Norman to clubs. Press reports of that before christmas

Plodder

Quote from: Statto on January 13, 2020, 01:30:00 PM

I like Betts. He's been with us for a long time, through thick and thin, including some iconic moments after the play-off final and semi-final second leg, and I get the impression he's a top character in the dressing room.
But he's never been a good keeper, even at Championship level IMHO.
Scroll back to transfer threads on this forum in 2016 and 2017 and IIRC it was generally recognised even back then that he was one of the weakest players in the team and the highest priorities for replacement if we wanted to challenge for the top 6.
Yes he has good spells but ultimately he's never really been more than a bottom half/mid-table Championship keeper for me.
And I think the stats are just backing that up.
We all make our own judgements, but "he has never been a good keeper, even at Championship level" seems extreme to me. Would Southgate have called him up for the England squad if that were the case?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 13, 2020, 03:09:03 PM

It doesn't matter if we want him, unless we can sell him we are paying him until 30.06.2021. No one wants to buy Fabri at his wages, because our coaches don't think he's currently even as good as Betts and they Betts isn't a top division keeper since his injury. In 17/18, Fabri made lots of saves (such as against and got lots of clean sheets, since then he hasn't been injured but has been rated by coaches as rubbish which means we cannot sell him (ie. we need to keep him).

Financial we didn't throw Fabri under the Bus as he still gets paid about the same as Cairney, we threw a Fulham asset under the bus, so we now have to keep him.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 13, 2020, 04:29:03 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 13, 2020, 02:06:59 AM

I like Sharon Stone but I wouldn't put her in goal either, even though she is taller than Fabri and catches the ball at its highest point, as opposed to flapping at it.
If you are Fabri's agent, please own up now, which would explain your undeniable support for him.
I cannot see him with any chance of playing for the first XL again, unless there is an injury crisis of epic proportions.

Say what you want, but Fabri makes saves and keeps clean sheets like he did this weekend in the Copa del Rey. A decent number two for Liga A and for us.

Ok thank you I shall say what I want again. Fabri may have clean sheets, because there is nothing to do, in one game he read a newspaper sitting in a Deckchair in the penalty area whilst the game was in progress, it's a holiday camp, there is no comparison, that's because it's a picnic where he is, it equates to Sunday morning football compared to England. Fabri may save, but Jesus saves more.
Plus I have a Garden Gnome on my front lawn taller than Fabri.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.