watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Give us your memories of Middlesbrough

Started by love4ffc, January 13, 2020, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

What is your opinion on Middlesbrough?  Can't say that I have one on them but would hear from everyone their thoughts about them. 

Is it an ok away day when Fulham go to them?  Or, is it one of those dreaded away days that takes everyone too far north?

We do seem to have a decent record against them with;
Games won:      25
Games drawn:      12
Games lost:      29

So what funny, not so funny, happy or miserable memories do you have of Middlesbrough? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

PhilEsh

My only real memory is the Collins John goal, where he scored an audacious lob from the left hand side of the box.

Although I could be very wrong, as my memory is truly awful these days.  :022:

Jim©

I remember the team that McLaren brought down to play us (last game of season) around 2005 or 6 and all of their 16 had been born within 10 miles of Middlesboro. I doubt that will ever ever happen again.

keith

I remember going there 86/87. Freezing cold day and we lost 3_0. Awful fans, trying to get at the away supporters.

ffcne

Collins John goal  and a thumping header by Papa Diop
in a game we twice led and think Jimmy Floyd won it
for them in last few minutes .Sunday afternoon game
My sons second ever game.

And Ollie Norwood  last min penalty
Cue chaos and mayhem in the away end .
First win i had seen at the Riverside in 7 visits

GloucesterWhite

Van der Sar getting sent off for handling outside the area. As for visiting the area: NO as my mother-in-law lives there  :031:

Sir Alec of good Stock

73\74 season. First game of the season and Jack Charlton's second game in charge at Boro and an outstanding performance to win 2-0 at Ayresome Park.
This result put us top of Div 2 having beaten Millwall by the same score on the first day of the season but, true to Fulham, we then lost the next game 3-0 at home to Orient!
Boro got revenge in the return game when they won 4-0 at the Cottage with a totally dominant performance.
74/75 the Anglo Scottish Cup Final-First leg 1-0 defeat at Ayresome Park with an own goal from Les Strong and a 0-0 draw in the 2nd leg at Craven Cottage where, as I remember, we had sufficient chances to have easily won.

charlieFFC

When they somehow beat us 2-1 at the Cottage - the match where Chris Kamara didn't have a clue what was going on and we had a perfectly good goal disallowed due to villain turned Hero Mark Schwarzer

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: keith on January 14, 2020, 10:30:53 AM
I remember going there 86/87. Freezing cold day and we lost 3_0. Awful fans, trying to get at the away supporters.
Basically the same as every away game in those days.

bobbo

Nice place for a weekend away 😂😂😂
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Oakeshott

"Nice place for a weekend away"

It is if you stay in Yarm.

bobby01

My memory is vague, but did we not fly up in Roy's days and the plane got hit by lightning
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Southcoastffc

August 2002, only time I've been to Boro away.   I was staying in North Lancs and drove to Boro with my 2 children (then 9 and 11).  We got hammered, Massimo Maccarone was brilliant.  He scored 2 for them and we should have been about 5 down when Steve McLaren subbed him 5 mins from the end to let him milk the deserved applause.  But that turned the game and we scored 2 90+ minutes goals (Sean Davis and Facundo Sava) to get an extremely unlikely draw.  The Boro fans were decidedly unhappy and afterwards it was safer for the kids to hide their colours, not only walking back to the car but also driving away in slow moving traffic on a dual carriageway with Boro fans' cars alongside.  I guess all clubs have that unpleasant element when victory is snatched late on.

Interestingly, Boro's keeper that day was Mark Schwarzer and their sub keeper was Mark Crossley, both of whom of course went on to play for us, as did Jonathan Greening.

Some great names on the team sheets:

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer; Geremi, Ehiogu, Southgate, Cooper; Stockdale, Boateng, Greening, Marinelli (Wilson 84'); Boksic (Job 79'), Maccarone (Whelan 84')  Unused substitutes: Crossley, Gavin

Us:Van der Sar; Finnan, Goma, Melville, Brevett; Malbranque (Inamoto 60'), Legwinski, Davis, Boa Morte; Saha, Marlet (Sava 61')  Unused substitutes: Taylor, Ouaddou, Collins
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

keith

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on January 14, 2020, 11:03:48 AM
yeah, you had to have your wits about you.

keith

Quote from: keith on January 14, 2020, 12:06:29 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on January 14, 2020, 11:03:48 AM
yeah, you had to have your wits about you.
Newcastle in 74 was a bit hairy too.

Russianrob

When it comes to the Northern English it is hard to determine who were the most uncivilised.Recall Newcastle well and the Anglo-Scottish final v Middlesboro.However,the worst must be Bobby Moore's debut for us-We lost 4-0 at home to the Boro if l am not mistaken.

keith

Quote from: Russianrob on January 14, 2020, 12:35:40 PM
When it comes to the Northern English it is hard to determine who were the most uncivilised.Recall Newcastle well and the Anglo-Scottish final v Middlesboro.However,the worst must be Bobby Moore's debut for us-We lost 4-0 at home to the Boro if l am not mistaken.
I remember that game.

bobbo

Quote from: bobby01 on January 14, 2020, 11:22:03 AM
My memory is vague, but did we not fly up in Roy's days and the plane got hit by lightning
i flew up only time I been there - ayrsome park - train station atteeside a/port 2 stops to the ground. Easy peasy.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

KJS

2002 - 2003 season Away to Boro we were 2 - 0 down going into injury time and Sava & Davis scored to make it 2 -2, I was away with my wife in Dublin for the weekend and managed to watch the game on the TV in a Bar so a few more pints of Guinness were drunk that evening  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :54:

Carborundum

More recently 'Boro came to us on the last day of the 14/15 season when, for them, only a win could possibly land them automatic promotion and playoffs were already in the bag.  Going into second half stoppage time the score was 3-3.  'Boro won a corner and naturally enough, up came their keeper. But to no avail and the ball broke to a Fulham player on the edge of our box.

What then followed is amongst the most entertaining passages of football I have ever seen.  A one-v-one between a dribbling Ross MacCormack and a stranded keeper with an empty net at the other end of the pitch.  Dastardly and Mutley could not have devised a wackier race.  Ross ended up scoring, but not without complications.  I shall not forget the look in the 'Boro keeper's eyes as he tried to get back.  John Cleese put it something like: Its not the despair, I can handle despair, it's the hope that gets me every time. 

Good to get the win that day, great to be royally entertained in the dying minutes.