Betts on his way then!!!!!

Started by South Coast White, January 14, 2020, 06:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 15, 2020, 01:26:44 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 15, 2020, 01:22:59 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 15, 2020, 01:19:22 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2020, 09:56:36 AM
I have not see Archer play, I only know his record, and for the record he is at least an inch taller than Fabri for what it's worth, and unlike Fabri he can catch the ball at its highest point, and can speak and understand English, whether it's Industrial or Cockney or the Queens.
So he is already ahead of Fabri before he has taken his first goal kick.

Fabri was loved by Beşiktaş but they run into money problems and had to sell him and get cheap option of ex-Liverpool Loris Karius, which is decision that most fans have regretted.

Don't take my word for it here is the fan video "Fabri the Weeping Farewell Clip - King of Beşiktaş You Don't Go !" viewed 210,000 Beşiktaş fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nD4sf3_E7Q

Has anybody ever questioned whether Fabri was appreciated by the Besiktas fans?

No, but many people have questioned Fabri's ability to keep based on two games in England.

The fact is that he is loved by Beşiktaş and may I suggest that might be because he was an excellent keeper for them in 70+ games.

You keep banging this drum.  Fabri also played in two friendlies. I saw one friendly plus the sum total of his league appearances. He was awful. His control of his area was non existent, his decision making dreadful, he clearly made his back four nervous and his handling of crosses was poor.  Did you go to any of those matches?

BTW I do accept there may have been reasons for his weak performances (challenges settling in etc.) but nevertheless, weak they were.

Sting of the North

Whether it was 2 games or 4, and whether they were all horrible performances or not, it does say very little in the grand scheme of things though. In my opinion.

Spirit of 2000

Know a couple of Wall fans who say Archer is an awful keeper

Twig

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 15, 2020, 08:50:01 PM
Whether it was 2 games or 4, and whether they were all horrible performances or not, it does say very little in the grand scheme of things though. In my opinion.

I'll ask the same question, were you at those games? Because, even if there were mitigating circumstances, it did not inspire confidence.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Twig on January 15, 2020, 11:13:52 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 15, 2020, 08:50:01 PM

I'll ask the same question, were you at those games? Because, even if there were mitigating circumstances, it did not inspire confidence.

And that question is still not in any way relevant for the point I am making (and also beside the main point from TRF at least). FYI though, I wasn't at those games as I just watched the two league games on TV (can't remember if I watched the other games or if they were even available to watch, but if I did it was also on TV).

To assess a professional football player (any player) on just a handful of games (be it 2 or 4) in a new environment is always insufficient in my opinion. Doesn't matter if you watched it live or on TV or read about it online.

If you really want to discredit Fabri as a fit for Fulham, there are better 'evidence' available in my opinion. Like neither Jokanovic, Ranieri or Parker playing him after those initial games despite the other keepers certainly not setting the world alight. Or the fact that Fabri was sent out on loan even though we lost our best (or most used) keeper from last year. This will still only suggest that he is not in their plans however, but the reason(s) can be one or many (quality, wages, personality, non football related matters etc.).

H3Matt

I'm not too worried about Archer coming in. Some accounts I've seen have reported it as only being a short term deal until end of the season.
He'll play second fiddle to Rodak.

Regarding Betts leaving....off he goes then. I'll appreciate his Wembley antics but no player is bigger than the club. He's cost us many points and was deservedly dropped.

Whitestone

So is Betts going now that West Ham have confirmed the signing of Randolph. I'm not aware of links to any other teams ? Surely Archer only signs if Betts leaves ?

Jim©

For what it's worth, Fabri had the highest save rate of any keeper we used last season (by some distance too).
For those suggesting he didn't do too well in those games, I must have watched a different Fabri v Spurs, because he was excellent.

I would guess that behind the scenes politics put him out of the team as the GK coach that wanted him here was soon leaving a little after he was dropped.

Whitestone

I'm not sure what the agenda is regarding Fabri. The guy only played two competitive games. I was at both. Sure he made an error against Palace but he was fine at Wembley against Spurs. I really don't see how any player can be fairly judged over so few games.

MikeTheCubed

Wasn't the complaint at the time that Fabri (and Rico) were unable to communicate effectively in English? Makes you wonder why we signed them in the first place however.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 16, 2020, 09:53:20 AM
Wasn't the complaint at the time that Fabri (and Rico) were unable to communicate effectively in English? Makes you wonder why we signed them in the first place however.

We had a Spanish goalkeeper coach, who I think left during pre season.

Lighthouse

As Archer is now official I hope he is just cover as a third choice. Both Rodak and Norman must be considered good enough to step up for a long season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on January 16, 2020, 10:01:51 AM

We had a Spanish goalkeeper coach, who I think left during pre season.

He supposedly recommended the signings, yes.

He left two games in to the season. While it is true that Rico & Fabri could have communicated effectively with the goalkeeping coach, the concerns were with their ability to communicate with the defence.

ByTheRiver

With Archer having just been announced on official, this must be happening now (probably announced later today), I wonder who to?

Given that West Ham signed Randolph yesterday, it surely can't be them. DOn't think he was linked to anyone else in the press? Interesting!

A great servant, will always remember the flare at Wembley and so on, but ultimately Rodak has made himself number one and we are not in a position to keep profitable players that we don't play. Better to take the cash and strengthen elsewhere (or cover the costs from the existing recruitment). All the best, Betts.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes indeed whoever made the signings must have had the brains of a rocking horse, total incompetence. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.