News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How attached to craven cottage are you as a name?

Started by General, January 16, 2020, 01:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Penfold on January 16, 2020, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: General on January 16, 2020, 03:17:32 PM
Everton have just done it hence the theoretical question.

Out of interest does anyone know the relevance and meaning behind the Craven part of "Craven" cottage

Apparently, the original Cottage which was built in the 18th century, was built by Baron William Craven.
Even if some of this proves not to be true, I do like the 'facts' listed on Wikipedia:

The original 'Cottage' was built in 1780, by William Craven, the sixth Baron Craven and was located on the centre circle of the pitch. At the time, the surrounding areas were woods which made up part of Anne Boleyn's hunting grounds.

The Cottage was lived in by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (who wrote The Last Days of Pompeii and other somewhat notable (and moneyed) persons until it was destroyed by fire in May 1888. Many rumours persist among Fulham fans of past tenants of Craven Cottage. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jeremy Bentham, Florence Nightingale and even Queen Victoria are reputed to have stayed there, although there is no real evidence for this. Following the fire, the site was abandoned. Fulham had had 8 previous grounds before settling in at Craven Cottage for good. Therefore, The Cottagers have had 12 grounds overall (including a temporary stay at Loftus Road, meaning that only their former 'landlords' and rivals QPR have had more home grounds in British football. Of particular note, was Ranelagh House, Fulham's palatial home from 1886–1888.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

Woolly Mammoth

It would be a hanging offence to change the name, it's a part of the culture and tradition that too many individuals tend to brush aside in the name of greed .
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Wolf

I don't think it matters much if the stadium attracts transient sponsored naming rights it'll always be Craven Cottage to those that matter.

Personally I call the stand where I sit the Stevenage Road Stand and probably always will.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

toshes mate

Times change. 

What we now know as Stevenage Road was previously called Crabtree Alley.  The general area around Craven Cottage is rich in history as Southcoastffc mentions above.  There is much dispute surrounding the history of the area and where certain names came from.  There has been a place called Fulham for quite some time (Ham means settlement or home, and is probably pre-Roman) since the Thames offered a crossing point roughly where Putney Bridge is now when the climate was quite different to and perhaps considerably warmer and drier than it is now.   We really do not have the accurate evidence needed to know what the area was really like but the Romans do appear to have built an elaborate villa or even palace in the area we now know as Bishops Park.  There are many reasons why serious archaeological excavations are not carried out.

I love the name Craven Cottage although the building itself is pretty ordinary, and I really don't like this era where everything seems to have a price.  But that is just me.     

Jamie88

For me, Craven Cottage is Fulham, and Fulham is Craven Cottage. If they change the name for sponsorship reasons, I know that every fan will still refer to it as Craven Cottage. And if, God forbid, we were ever to move ground in the future, then for me it would be like the heart and soul will have been ripped out of the club.

I Ronic

I'm not so sure that the companies that pay to have their name on a ground get a worthwhile return. Seeing as how we are on the Heathrow flight path making more use of the roofs for advertising would seem to make more sense. We've done that before. Also players making sure the shirt sponsors get good coverage during interviews etc. I'm quite impressed with the way Grand Prix drivers make sure they swap their crash helmets for baseball caps as soon as they leave their cars.
Sponsorship is here to stay and an important part of a clubs income and let's not forget that in our own way we are the oldest form of sponsorship in football. Whilst renaming may bring in a lucrative one off payment from one party it's a big kick in the teeth to thousands of other smaller parties.

bog

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 16, 2020, 01:42:00 PM
092.gif Us old supporters are totally attached to Craven Cottage as a name for the ground, I am sure, and would hate it to ever be changed.  :group hug:

+1. I had the good fortune to sit up there once. A 3-2 home win v Everton. I sat next to John Dempsey's mum. I wonder if she told anyone she sat next to me.... 
As with OBS I would not be happy with a name change.  049:gif

092.gif

General

Quote from: bog on January 17, 2020, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 16, 2020, 01:42:00 PM
092.gif Us old supporters are totally attached to Craven Cottage as a name for the ground, I am sure, and would hate it to ever be changed.  :group hug:

+1. I had the good fortune to sit up there once. A 3-2 home win v Everton. I sat next to John Dempsey's mum. I wonder if she told anyone she sat next to me.... 
As with OBS I would not be happy with a name change.  049:gif

092.gif

I know it's not football related but it is theme related - and with no intention to be disrespectful, but to just bring the point into the topic - a lot of Asian countries - in particular namely India for example are changing the names of places to their original names, or to more indian names. Bombay - Mumbai; Calcutta - Kolkata - when there obviously the older generations just called them the places they grew up with, whilst the younger generations split it between what it's affectionately known as - bombay, whilst wanting to be pragmatically correct by calling it Mumbai.

I imagine if Craven Cottage had the naming rights sold, most people with an affinity post a couple of years would just refer to it as craven cottage anyway and the name change wouldn't matter as much, but just if it became a long term change, eclipsing new generations of fans.

Perhaps if they were to be sold, they'd be sold for a ten year period, and then the five year period after each naming rights sale it'd revert back to Craven Cottage to give the commercial meaning just that and not something more.

Artful Dodger

The trouble with naming rights (aside from the loss of an historic name like CC) is that the stadium name changes every year with the sponsor. Bolton's stadium is now The University of Bolton stadium (I know, who knew Bolton had a Uni!) and prior to that it was the Macron Stadium yet 2014 it was the Reebok stadium! For that reason alone, I would be against it.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

bobbo

Quote from: Wolf on January 17, 2020, 09:20:49 AM
I don't think it matters much if the stadium attracts transient sponsored naming rights it'll always be Craven Cottage to those that matter.

Personally I call the stand where I sit the Stevenage Road Stand and probably always will.
so do I
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Riverside

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 16, 2020, 03:52:24 PM
Rename the Putney , New Riverside and Hammy ends for some dosh if needs be but the Johnny Haynes has be so named and ground has to remain Craven cottage.

+ 1

RaySmith

I think Tony Khan's Kabin would be a suitable name change for the Cottage, or Khan's Corner :)