watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Archer Signs For Fulham

Started by sussexwhite, January 16, 2020, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnief

Norman has been our third choice keeper since his recall from loan.  He has played in very few matches even in the under 23's. Perhaps he is the one who is going to move on.

sarnian

My thoughts when Betts wasn't on the bench for the last game was that he may be injured again. Had injuries the last three seasons and missed most of the second half of last season for an op. Archer just an experienced cover.

junior white

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 16, 2020, 12:25:45 PM
Quote from: junior white on January 16, 2020, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 16, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
Quote from: junior white on January 16, 2020, 10:48:02 AM
What an awful signing

What an awful comment. A Fulham player who hasn't even trained let alone worn the shirt.

He's not come in to be first choice. He (hopefully) won't need to play a game. He is cheap cover with some experience of the league, but yeah, maybe we should have bought Allison or Ederson to sit on our bench..

The likely scenario is he has come in as cover, allowing us to make cash on a player who no longer gets into the team, to strengthen areas where we do need starters and/or strong cover. Which makes the team as a whole better and more likely to gain promotion. Simple, really.
If he is in as a number 3 with Rodak and Norman above him then fine, but as back up, simply for me not good enough. You dont leave Millwall, then train and play in league 1 with Southend and oxford if your good. Yes some good keepers have come from league 1 Dan Bentley for one but you work up not down then up.

As for signing Alison and Emerson did i say that NO, pathetic comment by yourself. Betts is a good keeper similar to Rodak why let him go if Archer is the replacement. Yesterday on this forum people were saying the same as me, did you have a pop at them too?

I wasn't singling you out. I did point out having two keepers of similar ability helps no one. It doesn't work. It didn't at Liverpool back when it was Westerveld and someone or Dudek and Kirkland. If Rodak is our number one, and it is clear he is, then we can't really afford to keep Betts (and nor is it fair on him). If letting Betts go means we get a good RB or cover for Mitro or whatever position you feel we should strengthen, would you be happy?

Bringing in someone as good/similar level to Rodak doesn't help anyones confidence and you end up chopping and changing every time there's the slightest error (as we have done with Button and Betts, Fabri/Rico/Betts and everyone since Scwartzer, really.

It's time to pick a number one (Rodak is young, doing brilliantly and will only get better) and then have a youth (Norman) and some cheap cover (Archer). As I said in original post, hopefully he doesn't need to play a single game.

The 'awful comment' was a play on your 'awful signing'. Not every signing is a first team, marquee player.
As much as i do not like the signing, if he puts the shirt on he has my support 100%. Just think we could have done better. I would have been looking for someone better than Rodak personally, as i like players to push each pother, but i do get your point

ByTheRiver

Nero

Reckon hes just been brought in for the Man City game as not to damage the confidence of the other keepers

grandad

Quote from: Nero on January 16, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
Reckon hes just been brought in for the Man City game as not to damage the confidence of the other keepers

064.gif  092.gif
Where there's a will there's a wife

bill taylors apprentice

You need 2 keepers ready for the first team  and usually a 3rd up and coming keeper who you could use in an emergency.
With Betts not able to establish himself, injury prone and not progressing as he we would have liked we have the younger Rodak taking his chance.

Norman is 23 this month and seriously needs to go on loan to gain experience if he's rated, or even to put himself in the shop window if he isn't seen as the future.

So, whether Betts is going or not we need a 3rd keeper to allow Norman to play somewhere and gain experience.
Archer is that 3rd keeper, we have just turned the usual way on its head by having the youngster as number 1 .
It hasn't cost us anything and he can be let go when we know what we need for next season.

copthornemike

Back up goalkeepers can be crucial - only need to look how West Spam have fallen like a stone when Fabianski was injured!
Betts has served the club well and is an excellent number 2 currently but I assume the club feel there is a real probability that he could leave, in which case an experienced keeper like Archer might be a shrewd move
I wish him the best of luck

copthornemike

Quote from: Nero on January 16, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
Might need 11 keepers for that match !!!

RaySmith

He could be the new Tony Warner or Kiraly, who both did important jobs for us.

Welcome to Fulham Jordan.

Dodgin

Hammer Smith

This is what my Millwall pal had to say about him:
"Two years ago he was our player of the season, a very good all round goalie, and before that he made an extraordinary save at Wembley to take us up to the championship. Last year his form was certainly erratic and the fans started getting on his back. Had a nightmare in his Scotland appearance. Always a problem once a goalkeeper's confidence goes, but funnily enough the same thing seems to have happened with our current goalie, Bialkowski - 2 or 3 seasons as Ipswich player of the season then dodgy last year, but his confidence has come back. So you may be ok with him!"

I Ronic

Pascal Zuberbühler was on our books for three seasons. Don't  think he ever played a game for us.
If called on, I wish Archer the best of luck.

The Rock

This is not a defender, it is a keeper. Someone tell Tony Khan.

sunburywhite

Quote from: I Ronic on January 16, 2020, 07:40:16 PM
Pascal Zuberbühler was on our books for three seasons. Don't  think he ever played a game for us.
If called on, I wish Archer the best of luck.

In July 2008, on the invitation of former Switzerland national team boss Roy Hodgson, Zuberbühler joined Fulham on trial. He first appearance for the club was against Korean side Busan I'Park as a second-half substitute for David Stockdale in the one-nil defeat.[9] On 6 August 2008 Fulham signed Zuberbuhler on a one-year deal. He only made one first-team appearance in the League Cup throughout the 2008–09 season, but his professionalism and team ethic saw him earn a new one-year contract, and he himself has spoken about his contentment at the club.[10] The 2009–10 season was a disappointment as he made no first-team appearances and was at one point behind even Stockdale in the pecking order. He eventually fought his way back to being Mark Schwarzer's back-up and was in the matchday squad for the Europa League Final. He had signed another one-year deal to remain at Craven Cottage, but was not picked for the team's Premiership squad for the 2010–11 season and faced an uncertain future at the club.[11] On 1 July 2011, Fulham confirmed that Zuberbühler had left the club on a free transfer, after coming to the end of his contract.[12]
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

Perhaps when he makes a good save he can do a Usain Bolt like action of firing an arrow into the air
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Spirit of 2000

Suitable no.3 keeper, not a no.2 at this level for a promotion chasing side.