News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How attached to craven cottage are you as a name?

Started by General, January 16, 2020, 01:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I know the cottage in the corner is a key part of our history and a defining feature of our identity. The eccentric in me hopes it stays forever regardless of stadium upgrades. Think it'd be fun/quirky and a great way to honour the club's history.

That said how attached are you to the name craven cottage for are ground? Having seen an increase in clubs selling the naming rights to grounds with increasing frequency as a way to raise extra capital and stay within FFP does the name matter to you that much and if so why? Ultimately aside from nostalgic reasons of aressociation it shouldn't matter much.

I like the fact we have the johnny Haynes stand, would appreciate an al fayed one too but having been a riverside stand season ticket holder for 15 years, apart from it having an association to the fact it's on the river which I like I can't say I'd be too fussed to see it renamed if the club benefitted every ten years or so.. would you?

OldBrownShoe

092.gif Us old supporters are totally attached to Craven Cottage as a name for the ground, I am sure, and would hate it to ever be changed.  :group hug:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

simplyfulham

You make an interesting point.

I wonder if anyone in the future will try and 'sell' the naming rights of a ground to themselves and just call it the same thing, is that possible under FFP?

A couple of clubs have already sold their ground to their own chairman. Sheffield Wednesday are in trouble over it, but I believe they're only in trouble due to how they've listed the sale under a previous years accounts (I think?).

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 16, 2020, 01:42:00 PM
092.gif Us old supporters are totally attached to Craven Cottage as a name for the ground, I am sure, and would hate it to ever be changed.  :group hug:

As a relatively younger supporter (still in my 20's...just) I would hate for CC to be renamed.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

H4usuallysitting

Didn't the Newcastle owner try and change the name..... don't think the supporters ever called it anything other than St James' Park..... didn't the Cardiff owner try & get the Bluebirds to play in Red.... ultimately the fans either go with it or don't...... for me it'll always be the cottage

HV71

First of all I am not a life long Fulham fan - my former love was Mansfield Town F C ( where I was born ). Our son was born in Putney and we became Fulham fans about 12 years ago. Personally I would hate the name of the ground to be changed - it means a lot to me so God knows what it must mean to lifelong supporters. It is an iconic name for an iconic ground . I do not underestimate the power of money in the game - but surely some heritage ( and club brand value ) should not fall foul to the accountants and bean counters of this world . By all means sell the rights to the new stand as there is little heritage in that - but the ground - never .
I practically slit my wrists when Field Mill became the ' One Call stadium'  that was a step too far

Dr Quinzel

I'm a believer that in the short term at least, naming rights matter little, as most supporters will still refer to the stadium by it's traditional name and the new name is just what it appears as on paper. It's an erosion of tradition though which irks.

For instance, I still call Newcastle's ground St James' - not sure what the 'proper' with naming rights name is.

Logicalman

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 16, 2020, 02:17:23 PM
Didn't the Newcastle owner try and change the name..... don't think the supporters ever called it anything other than St James' Park..... didn't the Cardiff owner try & get the Bluebirds to play in Red.... ultimately the fans either go with it or don't...... for me it'll always be the cottage

Spot On. One Toonie even went as far as spray painting the original name over the new one I believe, and paid the price!

Craven Cottage is the home of Fulham FC, has been for all the lives of those on here (and likely the vast majority of their parents as well), it is as much part of our identity as "Fulham FC" is imho.
I'm confident we have an owner rich enough to not fall into the same trap as others (Ashley comes to mind), and hopefully will then resist as long as possible, or at least until he sells up.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MikeW

Cheltenham Town's 'stadium' (if you can call it that) was always plain old Whaddon Road.  Now it's 'The Jonny-Rocks Stadium' named after a cab firm.  Jeeze.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Logicalman

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on January 16, 2020, 02:57:28 PM
I'm a believer that in the short term at least, naming rights matter little, as most supporters will still refer to the stadium by it's traditional name and the new name is just what it appears as on paper. It's an erosion of tradition though which irks.

For instance, I still call Newcastle's ground St James' - not sure what the 'proper' with naming rights name is.

I believe Wonga changed it back to the original name following Ashleys sell-out by naming it Sports Direct Arena.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Penfold

The first club I can recall doing this was Scarborough. The Athletic Ground, Seamer Road was re-named after a popular brand of oven chips.

General

Everton have just done it hence the theoretical question.

Out of interest does anyone know the relevance and meaning behind the Craven part of "Craven" cottage

Milo

Almost like the old adage, "no one is bigger than the club".

Chairman come and go but the club remains. Why should we let one chairman dictate the name of our ground ie the very foundations of a club?

HamsterWheel

fulhamben

If you can change the name of the ground so easily then why not change the name of the team to. Flex and gate fc for a couple of years so shad can pump some more funds in.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SuffolkWhite

Rename the Putney , New Riverside and Hammy ends for some dosh if needs be but the Johnny Haynes has be so named and ground has to remain Craven cottage.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Mince n Tatties

I love the name,its even on my Garden Shed.. 049:gif

Penfold

Quote from: General on January 16, 2020, 03:17:32 PM
Everton have just done it hence the theoretical question.

Out of interest does anyone know the relevance and meaning behind the Craven part of "Craven" cottage

Apparently, the original Cottage which was built in the 18th century, was built by Baron William Craven.

filham

OK, change the names of the stands, an MAF stand is justified, but Craven Cottage is sacrosanct and anyone even thinking of a changing that name risks the wrath of thousands.