watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Exwick - Exeter

Started by H4usuallysitting, January 16, 2020, 02:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Anyone got any ideas about living there....looking in that sort of area..... don't want to be to close to the M5.....The Thatched House pub looks nice.....we would ideally want into to walk into the centre of Exeter in about half an hour or so.....many thanks for any help

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 16, 2020, 02:38:20 PM
Anyone got any ideas about living there....looking in that sort of area..... don't want to be to close to the M5.....The Thatched House pub looks nice.....we would ideally want into to walk into the centre of Exeter in about half an hour or so.....many thanks for any help

Moved to South Devon 34 years ago the only reason I go back to London now is for Fulham games but not so often as I used to, gave up my season ticket the season before first relegation from premier league.
Getting back to your original question don't really know Exwick but Exeter is great for shopping and dining out . I live in Shaldon which is a 25 minute drive from Exeter.
I would recommend moving to South Devon and you would be joining the growing Devon Fulham family.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Jim©

I moved down here in August 2010 and really really like it. Now down near Salcombe/Kingsbridge. Life by the sea ain't bad.
Exeter too is a place for us really just to go shopping, eating out or the dreaded IKEA! However we have noted recently that there seems to be a growing issue with anti-social behaviour by the increasing homeless contigent that reside in and around the centre there. Not trying to put you off at all, just to make sure you're aware.
Topsham is lovely but slightly more than 1/2 hour walk.

DevonFFC

What is it your looking for?

Exwick isn't a half hour walk into Exeter, albeit it's a nice walk along canal.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 16, 2020, 03:35:28 PM

Many thanks for every-bodies help

I was looking at property around Kinnerton Way.....I walked from there to Exeter Central station, took around 25 minutes (don't know if I went a short or long way).....other pubs I tried was Port Royal and The Prospect Inn,a couple of wetherspoons and the Topsham Taphouse.......I also liked St Thomas area, but couldn't find the sort of house we're after......we liked Topsham, but didn't think we'd fit in.....liked Teignmouth, but a bit far from Exeter, and have to rely on the train - we also want to be able to walk into Exeter Central area for the facilities...

The anti social aspect of Exeter doesn't really bother me.....as a London Cab Driver I see some horrific sights in Town, and probably have become immune to it...

I think the key for me is the 30 minute walk into Exeter Central area

DevonFFC

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 16, 2020, 05:48:57 PM

I was looking at property around Kinnerton Way.....I walked from there to Exeter Central station, took around 25 minutes (don't know if I went a short or long way).....other pubs I tried was Port Royal and The Prospect Inn,a couple of wetherspoons and the Topsham Taphouse.......I also liked St Thomas area, but couldn't find the sort of house we're after......we liked Topsham, but didn't think we'd fit in.....liked Teignmouth, but a bit far from Exeter, and have to rely on the train - we also want to be able to walk into Exeter Central area for the facilities...

The anti social aspect of Exeter doesn't really bother me.....as a London Cab Driver I see some horrific sights in Town, and probably have become immune to it...

It all depends on finances, Exeter's house prices in comparison to other areas of Devon are frightening, if I could afford it I would be in Magdalen Road it by the Quay. You also have Pinhoe which is a decent area, in the outskirts of Exeter but cycle path goes straight into centre. Only issue is Exeter is going through growth spurt in regards to new housing estates so exwick and at Thomas is probably a better side if you want to keep your views.
Last bit would be look at alphington, back if at Thomas, some lovely houses and well priced

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 16, 2020, 06:01:21 PM

It all depends on finances, Exeter's house prices in comparison to other areas of Devon are frightening, if I could afford it I would be in Magdalen Road it by the Quay. You also have Pinhoe which is a decent area, in the outskirts of Exeter but cycle path goes straight into centre. Only issue is Exeter is going through growth spurt in regards to new housing estates so exwick and at Thomas is probably a better side if you want to keep your views.
Last bit would be look at alphington, back if at Thomas, some lovely houses and well priced

Many thanks......Had a look at an area behind  The Port Royal Pub....footpath with the River behind you, park on your right and some flats over looking the river to your left.....looked a nice area, but didn't fully explore it....Think it was called Trews Weir

DevonFFC

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 16, 2020, 06:14:06 PM

Many thanks......Had a look at an area behind  The Port Royal Pub....footpath with the River behind you, park on your right and some flats over looking the river to your left.....looked a nice area, but didn't fully explore it....Think it was called Trews Weir

Yes nice, by the salmon ponds. Lovely in the summer as you can walk to the double locks pub.

Holders

TBH, I wouldn't really recommend Exeter unless you like big, largely Victorian cities with a traffic problem. It's growing like crazy and can only get worse. It must have been nice once but the centre got severely smashed up in the war so it's pretty faceless now. On the outskirts, Exminster is ok or, closer in, Pennsylvania but a bit urban. The park-and rides work well but I only visit if essential - or for the unavoidable IKEA! If I wanted to live near Exeter I'd probably choose Topsham but it's probably on the pricey side to match - but if you're moving from London then that's probably not a problem., There's a couple of nice pubs there, not including the big one that's aimed at the grockels. Actually, the big hotel/pub near St David's station takes a lot of beating for a city centre pub. Hope this helps.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Holders on January 16, 2020, 06:30:03 PM
TBH, I wouldn't really recommend Exeter unless you like big, largely Victorian cities with a traffic problem. It's growing like crazy and can only get worse. It must have been nice once but the centre got severely smashed up in the war so it's pretty faceless now. On the outskirts, Exminster is ok or, closer in, Pennsylvania but a bit urban. The park-and rides work well but I only visit if essential - or for the unavoidable IKEA! If I wanted to live near Exeter I'd probably choose Topsham but it's probably on the pricey side to match - but if you're moving from London then that's probably not a problem., There's a couple of nice pubs there, not including the big one that's aimed at the grockels. Actually, the big hotel/pub near St David's station takes a lot of beating for a city centre pub. Hope this helps.

Many thanks very helpful
I found Exminster a bit close to the M5, and Pennsylvania full of students...... Exwick on the face of it, looks ok.....no transport issues, as we could walk into the centre of Exeter or St David's and get the train to the coast or we could walk down the canal to Turf Hotel and beyond......just not sure what Exwick is like

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 16, 2020, 06:15:39 PM

Yes nice, by the salmon ponds. Lovely in the summer as you can walk to the double locks pub.

Many thanks....not tried the Double locks (walked past it), but tried the Turf Hotel & had a nice crab sandwich.....found the M5 to be quite noisy, but i suppose that's to be expected

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 16, 2020, 06:50:53 PM
Quote from: DevonFFC on January 16, 2020, 06:15:39 PM

Many thanks....not tried the Double locks (walked past it), but tried the Turf Hotel & had a nice crab sandwich.....found the M5 to be quite noisy, but i suppose that's to be expected

Next time we're down we'll also have a look at Alphington....many thanks

f321ffc

You mention quite a few pubs and said you liked Teignmouth, no shortage of pubs in Teignmouth but  come across the river Teign to Shaldon also known as " A quaint drinking village with a fishing problem"
Are you looking at retirement in Devon? I would recommend it.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

DevonFFC

Quote from: f321ffc on January 16, 2020, 07:02:25 PM

You mention quite a few pubs and said you liked Teignmouth, no shortage of pubs in Teignmouth but  come across the river Teign to Shaldon also known as " A quant drinking village with a fishing problem"

Have you got the t-shirt?

Carborundum

Good plan.  Spent three idyllic years there as a student - don't really recall an anti-social element in those days, possibly because I was, on occasion, actively contributing to it.

Recently went back there for the first time in twenty five years. Three things struck me.  That I wouldn't get in to the University any more and that the trees are a lot bigger are both undeniable.  The other observation, that the hills are a lot steeper, is more doubtful.  Three stone heavier, they just felt it.

The walk from Exwick to the station may be one of the flattest in Exeter.  The walk from the station to the centre is best attempted with Sherpas.

But it's brilliant there. We go to other parts of Devon a lot and it's all within easy reach of Exeter.  Dartmoor is amazing.

Best of luck - always a necessary ingredient with house purchases.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on January 16, 2020, 07:02:25 PM

You mention quite a few pubs and said you liked Teignmouth, no shortage of pubs in Teignmouth but  come across the river Teign to Shaldon also known as " A quaint drinking village with a fishing problem"

Got the ferry to Shaldon....nice place, tried the thai shack & sandwich bloke on the back beach - very nice, but will have to rely on trains to get into Exeter..... really want to be closer to the centre of Exeter, as we would regularly use the facilities - and like London we like to wander about a bit, and try different pubs, bars, restaurant's, cinema etc.....many thanks again

Jims Dentist

Nice to see that sufficient pubs are high in our list of essentials😊!!

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 17, 2020, 04:28:23 PM
Nice to see that sufficient pubs are high in our list of essentials😊!!

Beer is my friend