Main Menu

Armistice Day

Started by Si_ffcuk, November 11, 2010, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on November 12, 2010, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: sipwell on November 12, 2010, 01:03:01 PM
Quote from: JBH on November 12, 2010, 09:28:46 AM
On a recent visit to Brugge my wife and I made the journey to'YPRES' (Wipers as it is affectionately know), it was a truely moving experience and the last post sounded at the Menin Gate (an impressive yet humbling Monumnet) brought several tears to my eyes.

Least we forget, thanks for everything those brave and honest men did for me and all future generations.

As an ex-service man "I SALUTE THEM ONE AND ALL"

I am from the region around Ypres. I still cannot grasp what happened there. As a young boy I would find bullets and the occasional bone of a sodier... 70 years after it all happened. It makes you a pacifist from day 1.

I find it quite disrespectful that some have chosen to change the name to Leper,of all names and  considering the huge loss of life by the allies to stop it now from being a German suburb

It's Ieper, not Leper (it begins with an "i").

epsomraver

Quote from: JBH on November 12, 2010, 01:50:12 PM
It doesn't matter what its called now, its the History of the town and its about what happened there a long long time ago. :028:
Have you been then? when you see the extent of the sacrifice you would understand

cebu

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 12, 2010, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on November 12, 2010, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: sipwell on November 12, 2010, 01:03:01 PM
Quote from: JBH on November 12, 2010, 09:28:46 AM
On a recent visit to Brugge my wife and I made the journey to'YPRES' (Wipers as it is affectionately know), it was a truely moving experience and the last post sounded at the Menin Gate (an impressive yet humbling Monumnet) brought several tears to my eyes.

Least we forget, thanks for everything those brave and honest men did for me and all future generations.

As an ex-service man "I SALUTE THEM ONE AND ALL"

I am from the region around Ypres. I still cannot grasp what happened there. As a young boy I would find bullets and the occasional bone of a sodier... 70 years after it all happened. It makes you a pacifist from day 1.

I find it quite disrespectful that some have chosen to change the name to Leper,of all names and  considering the huge loss of life by the allies to stop it now from being a German suburb

It's Ieper, not Leper (it begins with an "i").

I believe the spelling Ieper/Ypres has to do with Belgium having 2 main languages, French and Flemish. Perhaps sipwell would confirm?

epsomraver

It was not part of Belgium  until 1928 and it was french territory, hence the French name, my point is and I think Mr Finn would agree was how would it be if the Falkland Islands decided to change to the Malvinas?

alfie

couple of years back went to the river kwai and visited a war cemetary, there were about 2000 gravestones, we had a couple of youngsters with us about 15'ish, before we got there they thought it was a big laugh, by the time they left like us they had tears in their eyes.

God bless them all
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't