Main Menu

Hector

Started by Ordar, January 17, 2020, 09:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 18, 2020, 06:22:50 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 17, 2020, 10:00:35 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

Hector appears to be exactly what we needed...and Scott and Tony deserve credit for bringing him in.
Not sure leopards change their spots just like that.
Likely along with others on here, I have been aware of Hector's qualities for a few seasons, no doubt SP has also.
Let's not kid ourselves that TK has scouted him and so decided to sign him.
Recruitment has improved, but likely down to others rather than TK.
I struggle to see that TK would have been aware of Harrison Reed's attributes.

TK is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with some fans.

Who would be in charge of recruitment if that has improved? Did TK bring in a new recruitment team?

General

Good scouting Tony Khan.

Hector appears to be exactly what we needed...and Scott and Tony deserve credit for bringing him in.
Likely along with others on here, I have been aware of Hector's qualities for a few seasons, no doubt SP has also.

Yeah - 'scouting' the best players in the league isn't exactly rocket science.. we tend to go for another teams best player or player of the year and that's it. Not worth applauding someone in the same way as working to a budget an unearthing a gem.

FFC1987

What a display from a man under a lot of pressure. Had a big weight on his shoulders but my god hes delivering. Big fan.

YankeeJim

Defense, at its core, is about coordination.  As a group, strikers are quicker, faster and better on the ball than CBs. You put a quality striker against a quality CB and add some room to maneuver, the striker will win out more often than not. If you look back at many of the goals we have given up, they were often a case of a striker with a wide opening in the back four. One or the other of the other CBs was absent. That is what someone previously called panic goals. Neither Brede or Aaron were super footballers on their own but boy did they complement each other. Perhaps the Thames Barrier will be reconstructed. We do have a construction crew on hand, do we not. LOL
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: General on January 18, 2020, 07:00:33 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

Yeah - 'scouting' the best players in the league isn't exactly rocket science.. we tend to go for another teams best player or player of the year and that's it. Not worth applauding someone in the same way as working to a budget an unearthing a gem.
.👍👍 Well said General.

Statto

Good scouting Tony Khan.

As I said on another thread, frankly nonsensical suggestion, requiring one to (a) believe that TK completely fabricated all the detailed claims he made about the relationship with Mendes which led to us signing Cavaliero, the discussions with Spurs regarding Sessegnon, etc., and (b) completely disregard the facts that we were linked with Cavaliero in previous windows, that Huddersfield signed Kongolo using a similar stats system to TK's, etc.

Statto

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 18, 2020, 07:34:49 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

.👍👍 Well said General.
Can I also just point out that General has completely contradicted you regarding Reed. He was a revelation at Blackburn and won their "newcomer of the year" award. So whilst I have some sympathy for General's point that TK should only get limited credit for 'scouting' players who are already well known for their success at peer clubs, it is inconsistent with your suggestion that it wasn't TK who identified him.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on January 17, 2020, 10:01:34 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

TK has done a great job this season IMO

For sure
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 18, 2020, 07:34:49 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

.👍👍 Well said General.

Yes, very good points General and Jims Dentist.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Count Flapula

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 17, 2020, 10:49:17 PM
his physical presence rubs off on other players.

Bet that's a bit distracting for them.

General

Quote from: @jolslover on January 18, 2020, 07:52:57 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

For sure

Honestly the only thing that seems to have genuinely shifted is after the complete balls up under slavisa and two summers back where he spent on what proved to be useless players he now seems to listen more to what's needed and take on advice of the manager. Bout time too. Imagine being made a fool of in national news, getting promoted and subsequently relegated as quickly as possible under a set of ego-centric views and being almost solely to blame for making same mistakes with management again and again probably helped.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 18, 2020, 06:25:12 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

Who would be in charge of recruitment if that has improved? Did TK bring in a new recruitment team?

It's nothing to do with being damned, the bloke is out of his depth in English Football or any Association Football, you cannot defend the indefensible, he has been found incompetent and has embarrassed himself on more than one occasion. He has only survived because he is his fathers son, so I am hoping there are others who are having an input and influencing decision making because TK has on so many occasion shown so many errors of judgement that it is clear he is unqualified for the job, and my opinion was reinforced after to listening to that arranged interview we heard when all the question were clearly vetted before being allowed to be asked, and he still showed that he is not the man for the job. It was meant to be a PR exercise, and it fell short as soon as he opened his mouth.
But at the moment we are stuck with him. I have no truck with his father, except that he has been badly advised by whoever he listens to. If Khan Senior only wants to come to Fulham when the Jags are in town playing that hyped up full of hot air game with no content where the players are all dressed up as Crash Test Dummies and do high fives for running 5 yards with or without a ball then so be it. 
I am sure there are worse owners out there and better ones also, but he appears to be influenced by his son for better or for worse and that's his Achilles heel.
Getting rid of TKs best mate CK was one of his better decisions as CK was toxic, and a carbuncle on the backside of the club.

Never forget your Roots.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 08:09:49 AM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

It's nothing to do with being damned, the bloke is out of his depth in English Football or any Association Football, you cannot defend the indefensible, he has been found incompetent and has embarrassed himself on more than one occasion. He has only survived because he is his fathers son, so I am hoping there are others who are having an input and influencing decision making because TK has on so many occasion shown so many errors of judgement that it is clear he is unqualified for the job, and my opinion was reinforced after to listening to that arranged interview we heard when all the question were clearly vetted before being allowed to be asked, and he still showed that he is not the man for the job. It was meant to be a PR exercise, and it fell short as soon as he opened his mouth.
But at the moment we are stuck with him. I have no truck with his father, except that he has been badly advised by whoever he listens to. If Khan Senior only wants to come to Fulham when the Jags are in town playing that hyped up full of hot air game with no content where the players are all dressed up as Crash Test Dummies and do high fives for running 5 yards with or without a ball then so be it. 
I am sure there are worse owners out there and better ones also, but he appears to be influenced by his son for better or for worse and that's his Achilles heel.
Getting rid of TKs best mate CK was one of his better decisions as CK was toxic, and a carbuncle on the backside of the club.

I'm not saying the guy is right guy or wrong guy for the DOF role

However with him having so much stick previously and now certain posters saying how well we have done with the recruitment recently, namely with the signing of Hector.

If he picked Hector himself great, good on him but if he didn't and it was his recruitment team great good on them, it still ultimately boils down to TK and his recruitment team/policies.

Just give the guy some credit if he deserves, he certainly gets enough stick.

General

Good scouting Tony Khan.

It's the lifelong issue of some people being emotionally invested to a point where they'll learn and let be or learn and remember as they figure out what makes something or someone worthwhile/acceptable.

Some will begrudge him because if it wasn't for his dad he would've been fired a while ago - a) because he wouldn't have as much money to play around with and b) because he'd likely be held to higher standards in terms of his working relationships and ability to get results. - ie we've been relegated twice in his tenure, whereas for the previous 14 years or so we hadn't - and maf didn't allow for decisions to be made so thoughtlessly  (hiring and firing three managers for example a season in the premier league).

Others will still remember being told to go to hell and in many ways implied to like what he does or find another club as unforgivable..

And others tolerance will be higher. Bigger picture or less caring.. - his dad has money and they so far are willing to spend it to get things done - riverside stand, and we've yet to go through a transfer window without spending to fill gaps in the squad - albeit at time with wrong priorities (not sorting defence out last summer).

sunburywhite

Good scouting Tony Khan.

Wasnt Stearman the best player in the league the season before andthere was another one as well i think that didnt work out
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

General

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 19, 2020, 09:07:27 AM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

Wasnt Stearman the best player in the league the season before andthere was another one as well i think that didnt work out

Think so.
Ream was also bolton's player of the year... johansen. Most in truth have held that moniker within the year or two before we sign them.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on January 19, 2020, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: sunburywhite on January 19, 2020, 09:07:27 AM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

Think so.
Ream was also bolton's player of the year... johansen. Most in truth have held that moniker within the year or two before we sign them.

What about Mark Fotheringham, which club was he player of the year with ?

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

As far as I am aware every club has the same player database and virtually the same* statistical analysis which tends to suggest recruitment is more than just finding someone's name, rank and number.  It is about approaching players who are available in the right way.  Since we mostly only know for certain about done deals everything else is speculative.  Who can be sure who thinks of a name first unless that name calls you first?

Has FFC done recruitment better in the past is a much more interesting topic for conversation, IMO.

(* The statistics used are pretty irrelevant for player suitability when they fall into in a very wide mid-range group with a large error range and that is where other measuring methods could come into play.)

KingofCheese

Good scouting Tony Khan.

Yep let's not give someone you don't like any credit even if it is deserved. After all it must be true that all bad things come from TK and all good things from someone else..
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: General on January 19, 2020, 02:57:21 AM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 18, 2020, 07:52:57 PM
Good scouting Tony Khan.

You need to be careful or your job at the centre of the Fulham management team will be under threat.

For sure

Honestly the only thing that seems to have genuinely shifted is after the complete balls up under slavisa and two summers back where he spent on what proved to be useless players he now seems to listen more to what's needed and take on advice of the manager. Bout time too. Imagine being made a fool of in national news, getting promoted and subsequently relegated as quickly as possible under a set of ego-centric views and being almost solely to blame for making same mistakes with management again and again probably helped.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas