watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Parker

Started by Spirit of 2000, January 17, 2020, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFFC

Very good performance tonight. Thought all the subs from Parker were good tonight
Come on you Whites!! :)

toshes mate

Take a bow??? Having a laugh???

Three points is all there is to be claimed from that.  Other than that a shoddy and truly late offside flag being the only real complaint we can level against the officials or opponents.

For the first quarter of the match the performance was up there with our best this season, but after that the same sloppiness, lack of concentration, laziness, and failure to be good enough returned.  Parker hasn't upped his game by much and has no room for complacency but then he'll know that already.  Some of his charges are not as good as he or they think they are and he needs to call them out.  They consistently commit the same mistakes and that is the only consistency to be seen here, players and coaches who are consistently inconsistent.  I am though naming names other than the head coach; by now it should be beyond obvious to Parker and his crew and he needs to coach them better, chuck them out, or fall on his sword.

Even within that mere measly quarter of a game we squandered chances, easy chances, as we have done all season.

Possession has to have a purpose; passes must be made when you decide to pass, not when your opponents force you to pass; players must be aware of every option and not just the get out of gaol option; they should be getting it right by now but they are not and you practice getting it right until you absolutely know you should never get it wrong.  And it is a really tough learning curve that takes no prisoners.  Anyone who has ever leaned a craft the hard way knows how tough it can be.  But perhaps Parker isn't up to it.   

As you may be able to tell last night really disappointed me because 'Boro were a very poor team and we struggled to put them away.   That was a long way short of convincing in my book.

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 08:47:39 AM

Three points is all there is to be claimed from that.  Other than that a shoddy and truly late offside flag being the only real complaint we can level against the officials or opponents.

For the first quarter of the match the performance was up there with our best this season, but after that the same sloppiness, lack of concentration, laziness, and failure to be good enough returned.  Parker hasn't upped his game by much and has no room for complacency but then he'll know that already.  Some of his charges are not as good as he or they think they are and he needs to call them out.  They consistently commit the same mistakes and that is the only consistency to be seen here, players and coaches who are consistently inconsistent.  I am though naming names other than the head coach; by now it should be beyond obvious to Parker and his crew and he needs to coach them better, chuck them out, or fall on his sword.

Even within that mere measly quarter of a game we squandered chances, easy chances, as we have done all season.

Possession has to have a purpose; passes must be made when you decide to pass, not when your opponents force you to pass; players must be aware of every option and not just the get out of gaol option; they should be getting it right by now but they are not and you practice getting it right until you absolutely know you should never get it wrong.  And it is a really tough learning curve that takes no prisoners.  Anyone who has ever leaned a craft the hard way knows how tough it can be.  But perhaps Parker isn't up to it.   

As you may be able to tell last night really disappointed me because 'Boro were a very poor team and we struggled to put them away.   That was a long way short of convincing in my book.

I disagree on so many levels but let's address the exaggeration (presumably to try to bolster your point).  We played beautifully for just over 30 mins of the first half. That alone is a third of the match not "a measly quarter".  We also reverted to that dominance for a period after Stef Jo replaced TC.  Add it together and you get just short of half the match.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2020, 09:08:55 AM
I disagree on so many levels but let's address the exaggeration (presumably to try to bolster your point).  We played beautifully for just over 30 mins of the first half. That alone is a third of the match not "a measly quarter".  We also reverted to that dominance for a period after Stef Jo replaced TC.  Add it together and you get just short of half the match.
I disagree with you on all that you have written, but so what?

colinwhite

Great performance tonight .Parker is grudually getting it sorted and we have evolved the style since leeds ,which he deserves alot of credit for.Credit also to the OP .Its hasnt all been great but lets hope we can build on that first half.Come on Fulham !

Stevieboy

More people on here happy than not, (except one!), for a change.
If this is the start of our final push and we are building game upon game I still believe we can get an automatic promotion. I won't stop believing this until mathematically impossible.
Let's raise those half full glasses and toast the boys, it'll be full glasses of champagne come May.

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

ALG01

Quote from: Count Flapula on January 18, 2020, 12:04:23 AM
Forget game of 2 halves, that was a game of 3 thirds.

Our movement, combination play and invention in the first half hour was something to behold - Boro players were looking around at each other wondering what was happening. The 15 mins either side of half time we inexplicably dropped off deep and couldn't string 2 passes together.

Fair play to Scott Parker though - when TC started flagging due to being not quite match fit yet he made the right choice and brought on StefJo, who's running and really intelligent contribution swang the game back in our favour.

Although he's made some errors (which manager doesn't?), he seems to try and learn from mistakes rather than be tactically rigid so is brave enough to try and change things which is a promising sign for his growth as a manager.

That's four wins and a draw in his last six league games I think. I hope he learns/evolves enough in time to meet our goals (I.e. before Fulham sacks him) as I think he has the makings to be a successful manager somewhere.

I have to say that your analysis almost exactly mirrors how i saw the game, so you must be right!

colinwhite

Our possession had purpose tonight and the performance in the first 35 minutes was superb. As good as anything under Jokanovic,and I am one of his biggest fans.

Woolly Mammoth

I have to confess that this is one of the few times in my memory that I disagree with you in more or less all what you have said on this particular post, I dread to think what you would have said if we had come away with a draw. It's not Parker's fault we squandered chances, or had a perfectly good goal disallowed or Mitro being injured. At this stage of the season it's all about those three massive points.
The first 20 minutes alone was worth the admission fee.
So be grateful for small mercy's.
Ok if Scott Parker is not your cup of tea that's fine, but please do not use any part of last nights that did not suit your expectations, then dissect it, and use it as a club to beat Parker over the head with it.
In other words refrain from looking for problems that don't exist.
Happy days and enjoy the ride, and just relax. There are even better days to come.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

grandad

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2020, 12:41:06 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 18, 2020, 12:13:18 AM
8/10.

We started very well and his tactical decisions in the second half worked well.

But it was only 1-0, at home to a poor team (albeit in decent form) and they hit the bar.

We need to win the next 5 for Parker to get a "meets expectations" from me. 

I don't expect he will lose any sleep over your opinion.

064.gif  :plus one:
Where there's a will there's a wife

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2020, 10:35:11 AM
I have to confess that this is one of the few times in my memory that I disagree with you in more or less all what you have said on this particular post, I dread to think what you would have said if we had come away with a draw. It's not Parker's fault we squandered chances, or had a perfectly good goal disallowed or Mitro being injured. At this stage of the season it's all about those three massive points.
Ok if Scott Parker is not your cup of tea that's fine, but please do not use any part of last nights that did not suit your expectations, then dissect it, and use it as a club to beat Parker over the head with it.
Happy days and enjoy the ride, and just relax. There are even better days to come.
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about Parker who I have consistently backed for the whole season from the moment of his appointment. 

My comments about last night's game are everything I see about repetitive mistakes on the pitch of which bad finishing and sloppy negative passing has dominated.  They are coaching issues.  I already said the first twenty two and a half minutes was up there with the best we have played this season.  I get slagged off for exaggeration by Twig saying it was beautiful football for seven and a half minutes longer!
And now you imply Parker is not my cup of tea!  My concern is that progress is not being made to play at the standard this team should be able to play at.  It is an expensive outfit and yet 'Boro, a rather poor team, made us look better than we really are (which I also said about Millwall).   

I shall endeavour to make myself clearer in future if I can find the means to do so.   

Statto

Quote from: grandad on January 18, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2020, 12:41:06 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 18, 2020, 12:13:18 AM
8/10.

We started very well and his tactical decisions in the second half worked well.

But it was only 1-0, at home to a poor team (albeit in decent form) and they hit the bar.

We need to win the next 5 for Parker to get a "meets expectations" from me. 

I don't expect he will lose any sleep over your opinion.

064.gif  :plus one:

I love how you've both added such profound, intelligent critical analysis to the debate here, whilst remaining respectful of my opinion. You truly add so much to the forum. We need more people like you! 
:Haynes The Maestro:

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2020, 09:08:55 AM
I disagree with you on all that you have written, but so what?

Well all I wrote was duration of time so either we were using different watches or took a different view of how long we played well for.  I didn't write anything else that you could dispute.

SP

Also, I think Scott's post match interview was actually worth listening to & a vast improvement, he's learning on all fronts.

KJS

1 problem is TC is now looking like a weak link

YoungsBitter

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 10:47:48 AM
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about Parker who I have consistently backed for the whole season from the moment of his appointment. 

My comments about last night's game are everything I see about repetitive mistakes on the pitch of which bad finishing and sloppy negative passing has dominated.  They are coaching issues.  I already said the first twenty two and a half minutes was up there with the best we have played this season.  I get slagged off for exaggeration by Twig saying it was beautiful football for seven and a half minutes longer!
And now you imply Parker is not my cup of tea!  My concern is that progress is not being made to play at the standard this team should be able to play at.  It is an expensive outfit and yet 'Boro, a rather poor team, made us look better than we really are (which I also said about Millwall).   

I shall endeavour to make myself clearer in future if I can find the means to do so.   

You do know that coming in to the game Boro were one of two in form teams in the Championship? They are Brentford are the best teams over the last 8 games ("It is an expensive outfit and yet 'Boro, a rather poor team). The expensive tag is reductive, every team in the top half is expensive compared to Luton and Barnsley, especially if you put a market value on loanees like the two Boro had out there.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 18, 2020, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 10:47:48 AM

You do know that coming in to the game Boro were one of two in form teams in the Championship? They are Brentford are the best teams over the last 8 games ("It is an expensive outfit and yet 'Boro, a rather poor team). The expensive tag is reductive, every team in the top half is expensive compared to Luton and Barnsley, especially if you put a market value on loanees like the two Boro had out there.

Exactly Boro are one of the form sides and the 1st half hour isxthe best we've played all season,  so the instructions from Parker were clearly there. Its not Parkers fault the individual players missed the easy chances they did and with Mitrovic on there tonight we would have got a couple more. If we win that game 4 or 5 nil as we should have on clear chances then I'm sure most people would hail the performance as the best or one of the best of the season. Credit where its due and the 1st half hour was in contrast to the usual slow and over deliberate way we begin most games. If Parker messes up I will criticise as I have so often this season but I saw a lot including awareness with subs to make me optimistic last night.

Tabby

Quote from: KJS on January 18, 2020, 12:05:57 PM

He is still unfit, which is why he was subbed. He is the one who picked out Bryan so that he had the space to deliver the cross and was key in a lot of the combination play that went on.

toshes mate

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 18, 2020, 12:30:46 PM
Well if you read my posts you will know I was the person to point out that Reading and 'Boro were the in form sides.  Brentford's record up the last round of games was identical to ours and not the best. 

Excuse me if I judge your comment to be ill thought out.

toshes mate

Quote from: Tabby on January 18, 2020, 12:43:45 PM
Quote from: KJS on January 18, 2020, 12:05:57 PM

He is still unfit, which is why he was subbed. He is the one who picked out Bryan so that he had the space to deliver the cross and was key in a lot of the combination play that went on.
Yes, his pass was one of the best of the night, IMO, but he did look worn out by substitution time.