watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Odois offside goal

Started by fulhamben, January 17, 2020, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahay18

i think if VAR was in operation it would have been ruled out , have to get used to this type of decision . But without VAR , it was so close and odoi probably should have got the benefit of the doubt after such a late flag. odoi was in already in his 4th back flip before the flag went up

Milo

Seen again and maybe.. but harsh.

General

Did odoi definitely touch it? - assume having celebrated he did, but if he hadn't celebrated would we have got it?

toshes mate

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 17, 2020, 10:40:05 PM
There was a white offsides, but not one involved in the play and not Mr. Odoi.

This was a 2-0 win, and a good overall performance.
I have just seen the replay (courtesy of a mate) and concur.  The marginal possible offside occurred on the opposite side to Odoi.

F(f)CUK

Watching the replay, what a really good decision by the linesman. Excellent officiating for which he should be congratulated. In fact I felt the referee was excellent as well.

toshes mate

As maybe F(f)CUK but the assistant's flag wasn't up until well after the ball was in the net and a whole host of 'Boro players were shouting at him.  His flag should have gone up instantly if he was so sure which he couldn't possibly have been.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The problem with these decisions is that they are only seen 'across the line"
Ariel views would give a much clearer picture or at least help.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Tabby

Many people skipped over Granddad's explanation, but I think he has it right. I've been a lino before and Odoi only got the slightest of touches, so he probably asked if he touched it before flagging. Very hard to tell if Odoi got his head to it from his angle.

Lyle from Hangeland

WindyCity

Quote from: Milo on January 17, 2020, 10:37:09 PM
Was a clear goal. Benefit of the doubt didn't even need to be exercised as was bang in line.

Bad decision.

Agreed.  Looked a good goal to me.  The stream I was watching showed the replay several times and it sure looked like FFC was onside.  If they were offside, it had to be microscopic.  Wasted somersault celebration, Odoi sure did his job on that play.

St Eve

I wasn't at the game and haven't seen the highlights yet but he was definitely on side.

Woolly Mammoth

At the end of the day, apart from one less goal for our goals fore column. We still got the victory we thoroughly deserved, so it did not effect the result, and that is the main thing. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2020, 04:14:22 AM
Fortunately the bad decision did not effect the result, happy days.

.. ain't that the truth, eh?  :54:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MJG

Quote from: Count Flapula on January 18, 2020, 12:13:55 AM
Ref put his hand to his ear - someone with a screen definitely gave him a heads up.
Thats because the lino was talking to him asking the question.
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 01:57:48 PM
As maybe F(f)CUK but the assistant's flag wasn't up until well after the ball was in the net and a whole host of 'Boro players were shouting at him.  His flag should have gone up instantly if he was so sure which he couldn't possibly have been.
Id say the ball the dead and no longer in play so the lino had time to consult and then put his flag up or leave it down. Why rush if not 100% sure.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on January 20, 2020, 11:54:39 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 01:57:48 PM
Id say the ball the dead and no longer in play so the lino had time to consult and then put his flag up or leave it down. Why rush if not 100% sure.
I did get that voice of reason but my first thought was that the assistant's and referee's potential views of the 'offside player' was that it was one of two who was offside or both being offside.  On the referee's side a player was much more clearly offside than Odoi, but I think the query arose because the run up angle was changed during the time the kick was taken and some referees have never liked that sort of thing.   

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on January 20, 2020, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: Count Flapula on January 18, 2020, 12:13:55 AM
Ref put his hand to his ear - someone with a screen definitely gave him a heads up.
Thats because the lino was talking to him asking the question.
As confirmed by Bobby D-Reid during the Monday Night Fulham Fix, the lino asked if Dennis had touched the ball.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

The video replay showed Odoi firmly placed level between defenders at the instant the ball was played but so close that it is possible  the lino saw it a micro second later when Odoi had a fingernail in front of the defender.

It really looked a good goal.