Better without Mitrovic?

Started by Arthur, January 17, 2020, 10:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Quote from: howitis on January 18, 2020, 07:32:36 AM
Nonsense thread ...
Is it?
This is what I wrote on Wednesday

General Discussion / Re: Will we score more goals without Mitrovic?
« on: January 14, 2020, 01:01:30 PM »
Personally, I think we will look more fluid and almost certainly create more without Mitro.

However, to be clear, this is not meant as a slight to Mitro, more on the way he is utilised.

Our attacks are so focused on Mitro. It's absurd that a striker that occupies the attention of at least one and a half defenders, is not used top create lots of space for attackers around him or attacking midfielders. Its loverly scoring all these worldies but its an absolute crime that we're not creating space for tap in's, ala Ryan Sess. Cav & Knock get a lot of attention as well, this should be a field day for supporting players. The fact it isnt, in my opinion, is entirely down to the tactics employed with Mitro.

When he's not there, I think things will improve on an attacking sense more by luck than judgment.

I may be being a bit unfair but have been seriously underwhelmed with our attacking performance generally and especially considering the firepower we have

H4usuallysitting

Were different without Mitro....
I'd say we're faster without Mitro..... Mitro is a clever player....swap Mitro for AK47, and we'll play a lot quicker, AK47 seems to like running onto the ball, and finding channels to run into...
Mitro is probably the best striker in the league, and his hold up play is second to none

KJS

toshes mate

I can't wait for Mitro to get back.  That was not the performance the rose tinted glasses may have made it look like.  Stop kidding yourselves or have you been fed mediocrity for so long you've forgotten what finesse is?

70sPimlico

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 08:53:33 AM
I can't wait for Mitro to get back.  That was not the performance the rose tinted glasses may have made it look like.  Stop kidding yourselves or have you been fed mediocrity for so long you've forgotten what finesse is?
Not so much mediocrity, more one-dimensional and predictable.

toshes mate

Quote from: 70sPimlico on January 18, 2020, 08:59:15 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 08:53:33 AM
Not so much mediocrity, more one-dimensional and predictable.
Predictably mediocre after sixty percent of a season ....

Twig

This is not a nonsense thread and we shouldn't just write off well intentioned comments (I thought we were going to be more tolerant this year?).  Although I don't agree we are "better" without Mitro, different yes, better no.
However I did think we played some lovely fluid football last night and can't see why Toshes Mate thinks we observed through rose tinted specs.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2020, 09:04:50 AM
This is not a nonsense thread and we shouldn't just write off well intentioned comments (I thought we were going to be more tolerant this year?).  Although I don't agree we are "better" without Mitro, different yes, better no.
However I did think we played some lovely fluid football last night and can't see why Toshes Mate thinks we observed through rose tinted specs.
Then read my fuller post elsewhere, please.

bill taylors apprentice

No.
We missed him in and around their box last night.

ALG01

Not better without him, but different. We can be very obvious when he plays and one dimensional. Without him we play more fluently but miss his goals and passion.

If he was fit i would always start him but try and mix up the tacctics a bit.

colinwhite

There no doubt with the play that we had in the first half Mitro would have had a field day. The doubt is wether we would have had that quick one -touch passing if Mitro had played. Maybe not .
Mitro gives us a massive amount but also limits us ,in terms onf counter attacking and getting in behind teams.

Milo

Mitro showed he can play with our first half tactics in his first season under Jokanovic. Acting as a pivot.

However, it was Reid's runs in around the box that often created space alongside a more "up for it" Knockaert. So, if we sacrifice a midfielder.. we can have Reid alongside Mitro. Or indeed sacrifice Cav..

70sPimlico

Let me put it this way.

It has nothing to do with Mitro.

It is the way Parker uses Mitro.

So the response to this is not "Mitro is a great player, holds up the ball well and is the best player in the championship and this is a nonsense thread".

Look at how easy we are to combat normally, how easy we are to restrict our chances, how we dont defend from the front, how one dimensional we are and how predictable and frankly a bit boring we are normally.

Its the basic way we use Mitro as a target man when he can offer so much more. When we dont play with a target man, it then lends itself to use the skills of the players we have bought, who, in my humble opinion, just dont fit the target man approach.

So, its not about Mitro, who I love with a passion, its the god awful tactics we use when he's on the pitch.

How can a team who play with a guy who basically ties up the two central defenders for 90 minutes, not be making loads of chances for other players. Its F=ing criminal

Stevieboy

Why not mix it up then.
Many times last night our breaks were so rapid there was no one in the box.
I'd like to see Mitro playing but with crosses fizzed across as well as the hopeful cross.
We don't have anyone able to deliver inch perfect crosses onto Mitro's head, he would revel scrapping around with defenders for the loose balls which often result from the low,hard crosses.
With Mitro playing the opposing centre halves always have their hands full, can you imagine last night with the amount of last ditch blocks how much more room we could have had had those defenders been occupied with Mitro ?

bahay18

i think not having mitro made the players think more and forced the movement . i was sitting there thinking i bet mitro is watching this thinking why don't i normally get this number of crosses into the box . they were crying out for a striker last night. but was it a mobile front 3 that enabled this to happen ? we will find out when he comes back .

one thing for sure , we were crying out for him in the second half , no one could hold the ball and i think he would filled his boots in that first 30 mins.

Once again though , we have showed we can win games without him and that's important because you don't want a stat hanging over like ' haven't won any of the 6 games without mitro ' if the next game he misses is a play off semi final.

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 09:10:24 AM

I did and still beg to disagree. Sorry, just a different viewpoint I guess.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2020, 11:03:32 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 18, 2020, 09:10:24 AM

I did and still beg to disagree. Sorry, just a different viewpoint I guess.
Opinions will always vary but I hold by my words and have also updated on comments elsewhere, since it seems I do not make myself clear enough for some ...

Andy S

Once Mitro has rested up and his ankle is ok again he will be raring to go again

Carborundum

Based on last night alone, we can create plenty of chances without Mitro. Putting them in the back of the net is a different matter and so of course we want him back.

filham

For all of the god football we played and chances we created last night we scored but one solitary goal at home.
This is not good enough , at the end of the game we were relying on our defence to pull us through to get the three points that should have been secured in the first half.

Make no mistake we are missing Mitro and we need him back ASAP.
Reid , a clever player with a big following, has demonstrated time and again that he will not take good chances and certainly not half chances. If Kamara is fit for the next couple of games we may scrape by while Mitro is missing but otherwise vital promotion points could be dropped.