watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 2 wobbling

Started by bobbo, January 21, 2020, 08:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Good results for us from their last two games.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

I Ronic

Fingers crossed we start against Charlton the way we did against Middlesbrough.

Woolly Mammoth

We must take advantage of other teams faltering, otherwise if we stand still we will get overtaken. Tomorrow night we have to show what we are made of.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Last two? They started wobbling about 7/8 games ago and have only picked up one win each since early December.

Carborundum

When Wolves came to the Cottage two season ago, we beat them but it was also clear they were far too good for the Championship and would go up.  When West Brom showed up earlier this season, they were frankly quite ordinary and so it's reassuring to see their current problems.  Long may they continue.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Carborundum on January 21, 2020, 11:37:23 AM
When Wolves came to the Cottage two season ago, we beat them but it was also clear they were far too good for the Championship and would go up.  When West Brom showed up earlier this season, they were frankly quite ordinary and so it's reassuring to see their current problems.  Long may they continue.

It wasnt just them that were far too good for the Championship. We bossed them that night. I still dont feel we are there with this team yet. A performance like that is asking a lot, but the players we have are capable of it.

filham

Quote from: I Ronic on January 21, 2020, 08:53:37 AM
Fingers crossed we start against Charlton the way we did against Middlesbrough.

Yes, but remember to take our shooting boots with us.

jarv

Got to keep a lookout for Forest (in form) and Brentford (can you believe it?). Still a long way to go. I think it is 2 from 5 at the moment.

HamsterWheel

Can still get 6-1 on Fulham making Top 2. Tempting...

The Rock

Thing is, Sheffield Weds is in 10th and 3 points off playoff places and 3-4 wins out of 1st. Any of the Top 10 in a table goes on a run and they can win the title. 

KJS

Quote from: The Rock on January 21, 2020, 04:09:40 PM
Thing is, Sheffield Weds is in 10th and 3 points off playoff places and 3-4 wins out of 1st. Any of the Top 10 in a table goes on a run and they can win the title.

Yes and they got spanked at home 5- 0 by Blackburn so nothing in this league is a given!!

WindyCity

Quote from: bobbo on January 21, 2020, 08:44:56 AM
Good results for us from their last two games.

True that.  Gives us an 'opening'.  Makes this Charlton tilt very important.  Does FFC come out and dominate and secure a win v a team they "should" beat, or do we once again see the "inconsistency" of performance that has plagued FFC all season long?

COYW!!

Looking for a breakout!  Let's show some consistency in a 'positive' manner and followup on the last two victories!!

Statto

Realistically you have to expect the top two, or if not them the chasing pack, to start picking up the usual 2 pts per game like a top team, which would mean Sheffield Wednesday are 13-14 wins out of 1st. I suspect that's why we, even in 3rd, are something like 6-1 or 7-1 with the bookies to make the top 2 (although with that said, I agree with HamsterWheel that those odds are tempting)

The Rational Fan

Pablo Hernández and Patrick Bamford have missed games, then not played well the first game after returning from short injuries. Fulham has a chance to catch up to Leeds when those players may not be at their best and they have a hard run of fixtures, but I think at some point soon Leeds will get back to 2 points per game and that is hard to catch, especially if we are only scoring more than one goal in two of our last nine games.

Jim©

Not if their game v QPR was anything to go by. They looked terrible.
I think if Leeds had a CF, a proper CF, they'd be 10 points clear of anyone. I reckon we'll see them purchase a good CF this window so I can only see them improving.

MJG

Sorry to say thats just not possible in the real world.

Max points Wed can get is 96 with 18 games left. Even if the top 2 just waddle along at the same rate of points as say the 6th best team WBA will end up with 82 wich is currently projecting what i expect 3rd place to be.
For Wed to get 83, their last 18 games need to give them 41 from 18 (which over a season is 104 points). Or say 12 wins and 5 draws and 1 loss maybe.

Its very easy to say they are 3 or 4 wins behind the top team, BUT the top team and everyone else below that team would have to play like lower half teams and Wed play like runaway champions to do that.
I'd say only top 5 have a chance at top 2

Just the views of a long term fan

Whitesideup

Quote from: HamsterWheel on January 21, 2020, 01:17:10 PM
Can still get 6-1 on Fulham making Top 2. Tempting...
Where do you get that?

FFC1987

Sadly, its nights like tonight that make me think if anyone does catch the top 2, it won't be us. How many times ahve we had an opportunity to put pressure on those 2 with a game before them against bottom half oppo and we just don't win and put the pressure on. In different circumstances, a point away would of been ok, but we've let ourselves down too many times. Before I get criticised for jumping the gun, the potential here is that we've played Charlton away, haven't won a game in 11 now isn't it? Sit 19th and we could be further away from top 2. That's poor.

Woolly Mammoth

I think we have to look back at defeats to Barnsley, Stoke City, Reading, Bristol City and PNE, not tonight. As we were away to a team that were fighting for their status, and without Mitro, AK 47 and Knockie which clearly blunted our attack.
The positives were that it was another clean sheet which is becoming a good habit, but we seem to have a problem up the other end at the moment.
Now is the time for cool and calm heads, not supporters spitting their dummies out as I am sure we will get the usual suspects doing exactly that with their hidden agendas.
Three clean sheets in a row, twice as much possession and twice as many shots at goal. We are not the finished article, and most of us know that, but we are getting there.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 10:21:05 PM
I think we have to look back at defeats to Barnsley, Stoke City, Reading, Bristol City and PNE, not tonight. As we were away to a team that were fighting for their status, and without Mitro, AK 47 and Knockie which clearly blunted our attack.
The positives were that it was another clean sheet which is becoming a good habit, but we seem to have a problem up the other end at the moment.
Now is the time for cool and calm heads, not supporters spitting their dummies out as I am sure we will get the usual suspects doing exactly that with their hidden agendas.
Three clean sheets in a row, twice as much possession and twice as many shots at goal. We are not the finished article, and most of us know that, but we are getting there.

0001.jpeg