watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR what should clubs do in regards to climate change eg Forest green

Started by Huxley, January 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huxley

Not a debate about climate change or veganism, but should clubs adopt a pollution stance? Does this affect how you would support the club or in general do you support companies that take an active interest in the environment (not just by buying carbon credits). Just saw a FB video of Bayern Munichs new loan signing arriving by private jet (Hes 25 with a few Spain caps, so no mega star) and then getting whisked off in an Audi (club sponsor) electric or hybrid SUV. Basically it was an ad to feature Audi, but if just sent such a mixed message... then started reading an article on the carbon footprint of the top 50 footballers. Quite frightening. What do you think of Forest Green approach? Eco friendly stadium, vegan diet, etc etc.. should teams travel by train more even if it means an hour longer rather than taking planes? Just skme questions and interested what other people think.

RaySmith

I basically think Government  should be taking urgent action, and stressing the seriousness  of the threat to  our continued existence.

A few individuals doing things - publicises the issue, I suppose, but how much difference does it make?

I think a lot of  people  want to do something, but don't really know what they can do.

fulhamben

Quote from: RaySmith on January 22, 2020, 02:48:21 PM
I basically think Government  should be taking urgent action, and stressing the seriousness  of the threat to  our continued existence.

A few individuals doing things - publicises the issue, I suppose, but how much difference does it make?

I think a lot of  people  want to do something, but don't really know what they can do.
how far do you want to take it. Because if you are serious then you would have to ban all planes, non electrical cars and shut down all non nuclear power plants and ration electricity. Mobile phones go out the window as does pretty much all electrical devices, no internment and every other non essential piece of equipment requiring electricity or fossil fuels to run them
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MikeTheCubed

Could spend hours making scientific arguments as to why I believe the whole "Climate Change" movement is misleading, but as this is not the right place I'd nonetheless propose:

• Cutting down on the number of clappers, so that there's enough for children but not wastefully placed on most/all seats
  • The return of "Football Special" trains for away supporters
  • A higher proportion on match days of real/cask ale from local breweries (such as Fullers, Twickenham etc), this type of beer is not produced with added gasses and sourcing it locally will cut down on beer-miles

MikeW

Quote from: fulhamben on January 22, 2020, 03:18:08 PM

how far do you want to take it. Because if you are serious then you would have to ban all planes, non electrical cars and shut down all non nuclear power plants and ration electricity. Mobile phones go out the window as does pretty much all electrical devices, no internment and every other non essential piece of equipment requiring electricity or fossil fuels to run them

Not sure about the internment but a few folk would miss the internet!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

fulhamben

Quote from: MikeW on January 22, 2020, 03:41:47 PM

Not sure about the internment but a few folk would miss the internet!
indeed especially extinction rebellion who were using diesel generators to charge all their equipment. You couldn't make it up could you

toshes mate

How far do you want to take it?  Because if you are serious then you would have to ban all planes, non electrical cars and shut down all non nuclear power plants and ration electricity. Mobile phones go out the window as does pretty much all electrical devices, no internet and every other non essential piece of equipment requiring electricity or fossil fuels to run them
This is, in a nutshell, the seriousness of the business of supplying energy.  There is claimed to be a cataclysmic future event and yet planes still fly, coal and gas still fuels the cheaper power stations (other than nuclear if judging like with like) and people still drive cars rather than use their feet or public transport.  Electric cars will provoke future angst from battery disposal (toxic waste) and still require electricity from the same sources as all electricity comes from.  Our UK national grid has already shown what the future will be like with four short term power cuts occurring last year because of demand issues that renewable supply cannot cope with.  It only needs one chaotic interruption to cause issues for several days or even weeks after. 

The other side of the coin is will a greener life style solve the problem we seem to have with global warming and the current answer to that is not necessarily the one you want to hear.  However, there is also a strong possibility the climate will gradually get cooler without us changing much at all since natural variability may be what has been happening to climate since the planet first came into being.

john dempsey

Huxley

Quote from: john dempsey on January 22, 2020, 04:03:55 PM
will parking the bus still going to be allowed

As long as the engine is not running at least or better an EV bus...

Huxley

Lets bring it back to what the club could or should be doing/not doing. Would you feel prouder of the club if they went eco friendly? Lets not go into warming/cooling discussions...

Huxley

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 22, 2020, 03:38:24 PM
Could spend hours making scientific arguments as to why I believe the whole "Climate Change" movement is misleading, but as this is not the right place I'd nonetheless propose:

• Cutting down on the number of clappers, so that there's enough for children but not wastefully placed on most/all seats
  • The return of "Football Special" trains for away supporters
  • A higher proportion on match days of real/cask ale from local breweries (such as Fullers, Twickenham etc), this type of beer is not produced with added gasses and sourcing it locally will cut down on beer-miles

Thanks for staying to the point of this OP. :) Great suggestions.

john dempsey

I think the club should bring in a director of eco friendly projects.
my choice would be Vin Diesel..

Sgt Fulham

We are simply more than the planet can handle. The best way to tackle climate change is to stop having 10 kids , particularly in the developing world. Until the consequences affect each person in an obvious and tangible way we will not tackle it as a species. Who cares if your factory is polluting, as long as you're making money? Who cares if you drive a climate killer when you have no money to buy a fancy new car? Too many people, not enough resources, too much dilution of responsibility. The situation in Australia may be the start, but I think as a species we will react too late. Kudos to those that do their best. I really hope the new generation turns this around.

What can the club do? Apart from support appropriate charities I am not sure.

toshes mate

Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on January 22, 2020, 04:13:14 PM
Lets bring it back to what the club could or should be doing/not doing. Would you feel prouder of the club if they went eco friendly? Lets not go into warming/cooling discussions...
Thank you for the mild ticking off.  Here is a serious suggestion for all stadia, academies and many other facilites.  They could install small modular reactors (SMRs*) for all energy needs.  They can choose to remove themselves from the grid and supply local residential needs without interruption or simply supply the surplus to the grid (thus generating income).

*SMRs are nuclear but reside under the ground and produce minimal danger and minimal waste issues.  They come in different sizes (generator output). They do not pollute the water supply like larger rectors since cooling is done by a locked in method.  The normal toxic waste is contained in small safe unit which is removed and recycled after treatment.  The technology has been around for quite some time but needs investment at a time when nuclear is and has been a dirty word.  They yield zero carbon but they need a lot of changing of minds about the pros and cons of nuclear energy generation.

fulhamben

Lets bring it back to what the club should be doing/not doing. Would you feel prouder of the club if they went eco friendly? Lets not go into warmimg/cooling discussions...
would def feel prouder if they did it, just can't see much happening. Could you really see them say changing beer bottles and cups back to being made out of glass to reduce plastic.

fulhamben

Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 04:40:50 PM
Thank you for the mild ticking off.  Here is a serious suggestion for all stadia, academies and many other facilites.  They could install small modular reactors (SMRs*) for all energy needs.  They can choose to remove themselves from the grid and supply local residential needs without interruption or simply supply the surplus to the grid (thus generating income).

*SMRs are nuclear but reside under the ground and produce minimal danger and minimal waste issues.  They come in different sizes (generator output). They do not pollute the water supply like larger rectors since cooling is done by a locked in method.  The normal toxic waste is contained in small safe unit which is removed and recycled after treatment.  The technology has been around for quite some time but needs investment at a time when nuclear is and has been a dirty word.  They yield zero carbon but they need a lot of changing of minds about the pros and cons of nuclear energy generation.
if you don't mind me asking, what are the minimal water issues if it's not contamination?

Woolly Mammoth

I have the perfect solution to reversing climate change. I believe if everyone were banned from Breaking Wind, the ice caps will return, we will be snowed under for months and Vegans can go and live on another planet, and leave the rest of us to eat what we wish.
I love all sorts of animals except the ones that support Celtic and Cardiff, but if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

sarnian

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 05:03:23 PM
I have the perfect solution to reversing climate change. I believe if everyone were banned from Breaking Wind, the ice caps will return, we will be snowed under for months and Vegans can go and live on another planet, and leave the rest of us to eat what we wish.
I love all sorts of animals except the ones that support Celtic and Cardiff, but if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?
[/quote

Very good.

What annoys me is all these do gooders that preach about climate change telling us we should not spend our hard earned money to fly on a well deserved holiday are flying all over the world themselves telling us not to fly.

Davos yesterday was crowded with private jets that these activists had flown in by.

Total hypocrites.

Tabby

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 05:03:23 PM

but if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?

Also an argument in favour of cannibalism.