watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR what should clubs do in regards to climate change eg Forest green

Started by Huxley, January 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcbride5912

Does anyone know if the riverside stand will have any solar panels?

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on January 22, 2020, 03:18:08 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on January 22, 2020, 02:48:21 PM
I basically think Government  should be taking urgent action, and stressing the seriousness  of the threat to  our continued existence.

A few individuals doing things - publicises the issue, I suppose, but how much difference does it make?

I think a lot of  people  want to do something, but don't really know what they can do.
how far do you want to take it. Because if you are serious then you would have to ban all planes, non electrical cars and shut down all non nuclear power plants and ration electricity. Mobile phones go out the window as does pretty much all electrical devices, no internment and every other non essential piece of equipment requiring electricity or fossil fuels to run them

Sorry but where do you get this from? Drastic changes are indeed needed to start reducing, rather than increasing carbon emissions and limit warming to say 1.5°, but it doesn't mean getting rid of "all electrical devices". Similarly we clearly need to end this culture of celebrities flying the personal jets to a new city every few days and ordinary people taking 14 weekends away per year with £10 Ryanair flights to Prague etc, but again, it doesn't mean we need to "ban all planes"!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Tabby on January 22, 2020, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 05:03:23 PM

but if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?

Also an argument in favour of cannibalism.

I can think of a few people I could eat, if I could wash them down with a Large Cognac, but I couldn't eat a whole one.
There are also people who I cannot stomach who I could not eat as they would not taste very nice.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

I Ronic

Was thinking the same re solar panels. All that roof space. Feed it back into the national grid and that should cut the spending on floodlights.
I'd like the club to be as eco friendly as it possibly could. Mr Khan should ad it to his move to FulhamFC being a sustainable club.

fulhamben

Quote from: I Ronic on January 22, 2020, 05:57:03 PM
Was thinking the same re solar panels. All that roof space. Feed it back into the national grid and that should cut the spending on floodlights.
I'd like the club to be as eco friendly as it possibly could. Mr Khan should ad it to his move to FulhamFC being a sustainable club.
battery banks for storage would be better than feeding it back into the grid as you get peanuts for doing that now.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on January 22, 2020, 05:51:19 PM
I basically think Government  should be taking urgent action, and stressing the seriousness  of the threat to  our continued existence.

A few individuals doing things - publicises the issue, I suppose, but how much difference does it make?

I think a lot of  people  want to do something, but don't really know what they can do.
how far do you want to take it. Because if you are serious then you would have to ban all planes, non electrical cars and shut down all non nuclear power plants and ration electricity. Mobile phones go out the window as does pretty much all electrical devices, no internment and every other non essential piece of equipment requiring electricity or fossil fuels to run them

Sorry but where do you get this from? Drastic changes are indeed needed to start reducing, rather than increasing carbon emissions and limit warming to say 1.5°, but it doesn't mean getting rid of "all electrical devices". Similarly we clearly need to end this culture of celebrities flying the personal jets to a new city every few days and ordinary people taking 14 weekends away per year with £10 Ryanair flights to Prague etc, but again, it doesn't mean we need to "ban all planes"!

The first thing the climate change merchants, and a large percentage of them wearing white coats are redundant scientists who all failed to split the atom between them, do is target China, America, India, Pakistan the Middle East and the Far East for a start. Not you, me the bloke next door, and the little old lady that lives down the road. The difference is that they think us foot soldiers are easy targets.
These so called redundant scientists would do us all a favour by places themselves in a glass jar in a remote Laboratory somewhere in the coldest part of Siberia.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Thank goodness for a bit of balance.  As to the OP, it's a vitally important subject and every business, football or otherwise, should start by having a meaningful environmental policy (not cr4p greenwashing). Some sensible practical suggestions have already been made by one or two thoughtful posters. I'd add; recycling bins (football generates huge amounts of waste), increased use of energy efficient lighting, pressure for improved match day public transport links and a review of the green credentials of our extended/ enhanced training facilities (it's easy to forget that FFC occupies more than one large piece of real estate).

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 06:11:33 PM

The first thing the climate change merchants, and a large percentage of them wearing white coats are redundant scientists who all failed to split the atom between them, do is target China, America, India, Pakistan the Middle East and the Far East for a start. Not you, me the bloke next door, and the little old lady that lives down the road. The difference is that they think us foot soldiers are easy targets.
These so called redundant scientists would do us all a favour by places themselves in a glass jar in a remote Laboratory somewhere in the coldest part of Siberia.

Are you serious?

john dempsey

approx. 46% of african children go to schools which
have no access to electricity. and the west denies them access to
loans for new power plants.

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on January 22, 2020, 04:55:01 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on January 22, 2020, 04:13:14 PM
Lets bring it back to what the club could or should be doing/not doing. Would you feel prouder of the club if they went eco friendly? Lets not go into warming/cooling discussions...
Thank you for the mild ticking off.  Here is a serious suggestion for all stadia, academies and many other facilites.  They could install small modular reactors (SMRs*) for all energy needs.  They can choose to remove themselves from the grid and supply local residential needs without interruption or simply supply the surplus to the grid (thus generating income).

*SMRs are nuclear but reside under the ground and produce minimal danger and minimal waste issues.  They come in different sizes (generator output). They do not pollute the water supply like larger rectors since cooling is done by a locked in method.  The normal toxic waste is contained in small safe unit which is removed and recycled after treatment.  The technology has been around for quite some time but needs investment at a time when nuclear is and has been a dirty word.  They yield zero carbon but they need a lot of changing of minds about the pros and cons of nuclear energy generation.
if you don't mind me asking, what are the minimal water issues if it's not contamination?
Minimal waste issues;  but no water contamination since they use completely different techniques and coolants to conventional reactors and water does not come into direct contact with anything radioactive.  The issues for waste are length of time between storage and disposal but are described as a drop in the ocean compared to the problem of disposing spent electric car battery waste.  As I understand it the cores are quite small, modular (hence the name), and very easily contained even for larger scale generators. 

The main problem is the investment needed to get the reactors down to reasonable prices.  There are several articles on the internet that describe how you can get one that sits underneath your garden and could power a few of your neighbour's houses as well as yours!

toshes mate

Quote from: john dempsey on January 22, 2020, 06:29:46 PM

Agree and it is the height of hypocrisy.

Holders

I think that we all should do what we can, however little it is. The habit grows and spreads by example. The same argument could be used for the UK:- India and China create more pollution but less per capita; Saudi Arabia produces more per capita but less overall. To set an example, however small it might be in the scheme of things, still sends the right message and sets an example. The world needs a mindset change. Same for a football club - it would be good for the image but it does leave it open to the one slip-up (a la Emma Thompson) that receives bad publicity.

My little bit: I'm going to Brussels from Devon on Monday and using train to London then Eurostar. It costs about the same as flying, does take a little longer - but not that much when taking travel to/from the airport and check-in/security/baggage into account and (notwithstanding that the plane will still fly) if more people did it, it would begin to make a difference. Changing the mindset is the beginning.

It opened my eyes to a different possibility than air-by-default and many of my normal destinations in Europe are accessible by rail economically and practically.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: Twig on January 22, 2020, 06:12:19 PM

Thank goodness for a bit of balance.  As to the OP, it's a vitally important subject and every business, football or otherwise, should start by having a meaningful environmental policy (not cr4p greenwashing). Some sensible practical suggestions have already been made by one or two thoughtful posters. I'd add; recycling bins (football generates huge amounts of waste), increased use of energy efficient lighting, pressure for improved match day public transport links and a review of the green credentials of our extended/ enhanced training facilities (it's easy to forget that FFC occupies more than one large piece of real estate).

Agreed.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

I Ronic

I think Friends of Fulham should look into being carbon neutral. Recycle all that hot air, particularly after a loss.
We could have a little meter at the top of the page showing how well we were doing energy wise!

YankeeJim

I think that Fulham and FOF should stick to football. Football is not the place for adopting a new religion such as the green movement. When the leaders of said religion drop their private jets, massive estate houses and limos instead of requiring me to dump my pickup and eat vegan, than I'll listen.
If they really cared about the environment they'd look into real solutions like banning plastic bags and coal fired plants of which China is building one every few weeks and instead build nuclear power plants and power everything with electricity. We can dump the spent fuel rods into Stanford Bridge since it is already a toxic place.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

toshes mate

Drastic changes are indeed needed to start reducing, rather than increasing carbon emissions and limit warming to say 1.5°, but it doesn't mean getting rid of "all electrical devices". Similarly we clearly need to end this culture of celebrities flying the personal jets to a new city every few days and ordinary people taking 14 weekends away per year with £10 Ryanair flights to Prague etc, but again, it doesn't mean we need to "ban all planes"!
Last week a climate scientist explained to me that if you want to experience a two degree increase or decrease in temperature you can either travel about two hundred and fifty miles south of where you are now or you can climb up six hundred metres.  That is the scale we are talking about for a two degree change.  The increase in UK mean temperatures since 1950 is estimated as less than one degree and it is colder now than it was just over a thousand years ago when there were no man made CO2 emissions.

Ged

Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 06:51:59 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on January 22, 2020, 06:29:46 PM

Agree and it is the height of hypocrisy.
Surely they need Solar panels on their schools not coal powered power stations

Statto

Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 11:04:14 PM
Last week a climate scientist explained to me that if you want to experience a two degree increase or decrease in temperature you can either travel about two hundred and fifty miles south of where you are now

What so the UK will become like Spain, Spain will become like the Middle East or Africa (forget sunbathing in Benidorm then) and areas like the Middle East and Africa will presumably be absolutely unsurvivable for any form of life? Sorry but that already sounds apocalyptic to me, without even getting into the associated sea level rise (Craven Cottage gone forever), mass migration from those areas, extreme weather events, food shortages etc...

Statto

Back to the OP, what a fantastic publicity/leadership opportunity it would have been to build the Riverside Stand with the capability to harness the tidal, wind and solar energy available in that location and use the energy to power the ground, at least on matchdays