more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR what should clubs do in regards to climate change eg Forest green

Started by Huxley, January 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: ALG01 on January 24, 2020, 12:27:58 PM
A couple of ideas to make things more eco friendly, easy ones.
At all grounds
1. All weekend and bank holiday games to be played during full daylight hours.
2. Away support includes cost of coach or rail travel (or both) to cut down on the amount of under populated vehicles being driven
3. Turn the volume down on the majority of tannoy systems in the grounds. Maybe it will not save much power but it will make the expereince better, we can rarely talk for the din of the music
4. Turn off the big screens. we do not need instant replays and the score being shown whilst the game is on.
5. We sit behind the press box, turn off their monitors of which there are plenty.

At every game there are a plethora of correspondents and media people. restrict it, they can use common people to do the same job. E.G BBC london has a reporter at the game as does BB 5 live, you don't need both. and radio huddersfield can use the BBC london man when their team is in town.... and do we need 5 live and talk sport to cover the same game every time....

if you want to reduce carbon footprint you have to consider everything. and these are quick wins.

All good ideas, but then life and such really does play havoc with a few of them ....
#2: What about the rail strikes? Then we are looking at adding more and more (dirty) coaches and buses to the already-overcrowded Bank Holiday roads. Perhaps for #1, the addition of "All Bank Holiday games should be local derby's" might assist in reducing travel across the board.
#4. They would need to ensure the ref uses the VAR viewer each time and not rely on the big screens, as the fans do (or do away with VAR altogether - there's a good idea)
.. and who needs Press at the game anyways? They should be forced to buy their own tickets and sit with the rest of us.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

toshes mate

Nature has probably eliminated many more alpha dominant predators than imagination can muster.  In one electric storm it produces more energy than we collectively consume in one year.  It can destroy us at will either through a large asteroid hit, a series of massive volcanic eruptions followed by a series of massive earthquakes, or by producing a deadly virus that has no cure or remedy.  Nature has had this capacity since before planet Earth came into being and we are beginning to realise how far microbes can travel not only here but in space in truly hostile environments which our species couldn't cope with.  We are not permanent fixtures and we have never been so.

Logicalman

Quote from: toshes mate on January 24, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
Nature has probably eliminated many more alpha dominant predators than imagination can muster.  In one electric storm it produces more energy than we collectively consume in one year.  It can destroy us at will either through a large asteroid hit, a series of massive volcanic eruptions followed by a series of massive earthquakes, or by producing a deadly virus that has no cure or remedy.  Nature has had this capacity since before planet Earth came into being and we are beginning to realise how far microbes can travel not only here but in space in truly hostile environments which our species couldn't cope with.  We are not permanent fixtures and we have never been so.

Quite so, though it has to be said that, unlike the rest of the animal kingdom (past & present) we DO have the ability to destroy life on our own planet and lay it all to waste in the blink of an eye, and that is one hell of a custodian power.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

ALG01

Quote from: Logicalman on January 24, 2020, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 24, 2020, 12:27:58 PM
A couple of ideas to make things more eco friendly, easy ones.
At all grounds
1. All weekend and bank holiday games to be played during full daylight hours.
2. Away support includes cost of coach or rail travel (or both) to cut down on the amount of under populated vehicles being driven
3. Turn the volume down on the majority of tannoy systems in the grounds. Maybe it will not save much power but it will make the expereince better, we can rarely talk for the din of the music
4. Turn off the big screens. we do not need instant replays and the score being shown whilst the game is on.
5. We sit behind the press box, turn off their monitors of which there are plenty.

At every game there are a plethora of correspondents and media people. restrict it, they can use common people to do the same job. E.G BBC london has a reporter at the game as does BB 5 live, you don't need both. and radio huddersfield can use the BBC london man when their team is in town.... and do we need 5 live and talk sport to cover the same game every time....

if you want to reduce carbon footprint you have to consider everything. and these are quick wins.

All good ideas, but then life and such really does play havoc with a few of them ....
#2: What about the rail strikes? Then we are looking at adding more and more (dirty) coaches and buses to the already-overcrowded Bank Holiday roads. Perhaps for #1, the addition of "All Bank Holiday games should be local derby's" might assist in reducing travel across the board.
#4. They would need to ensure the ref uses the VAR viewer each time and not rely on the big screens, as the fans do (or do away with VAR altogether - there's a good idea)
.. and who needs Press at the game anyways? They should be forced to buy their own tickets and sit with the rest of us.

well i appreciate the humour and hopefully the trains run more often than go on strike.
I didn't say no press but do we need quite so many, local radio, local papers, national radio, national papers....they make up most of it anyway based on non fulham loving prejudice.

It isn't so much my ideas would save the planet but they would surely sign post that we do need to all change our outlook. Currently TV and vested interest ego runs fotball, there is no intention from any of those to reduce the carbon footprint in a meaningful manner.

toshes mate

Quote from: Logicalman on January 24, 2020, 01:27:01 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 24, 2020, 01:23:42 PM

Quite so, though it has to be said that, unlike the rest of the animal kingdom (past & present) we DO have the ability to destroy life on our own planet and lay it all to waste in the blink of an eye, and that is one hell of a custodian power.
There is evidence that microbes could survive a nuclear blast but it is theoretical and therefore in the same category as climate science.

Plus most of the oceans are very deep and water covers much more surface than land ...  (addendum)

Statto

Quote from: toshes mate on January 24, 2020, 01:56:28 PM
it is theoretical and therefore in the same category as climate science.

Genuine question, out of curiosity - do you believe the world is round, or still think it's flat? 

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on January 24, 2020, 02:21:47 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 24, 2020, 01:56:28 PM
it is theoretical and therefore in the same category as climate science.

Genuine question, out of curiosity - do you believe the world is round, or still think it's flat? 

It is an oblate spheroid.

Woolly Mammoth

Many a woman has whispered in my shell like ear that they would follow me to the ends of the earth. So that means the World must be flat. 🌍  🌎
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2020, 01:00:46 AM
Many a woman has whispered in my shell like ear that they would follow me to the ends of the earth. So that means the World must be flat. 🌍  🌎

It is very true that people tend to hear what they want. Could it be that those lasses are saying something on the order of "go away"? LOL
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

filham

So, so important that big action is taken now to avoid climate change but just now we are only tickling the problem. New laws are needed to restrict the huge waste that is taking place but any government doing what is required is going to be very unpopular ( imagine trying to ration air travel).
Live as we used to live sixty years ago and there would be no problem, a lot of us older people could manage that but there would be a revolt from the younger generations.
Wow, turn the clock back sixty years  and we would have Haynes at his peak, what more could any Fulham fan want.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 25, 2020, 05:44:50 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2020, 01:00:46 AM

It is very true that people tend to hear what they want. Could it be that those lasses are saying something on the order of "go away"? LOL

Probably yes, I have to admit they were drunk at the time. 🍺
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Thinking about it this morning, how much energy would it save just to forfeit today's match, or even abolish the FA Cup.

Sending our players up to Manchester (let's hope they at least went by coach, not plane) along with hundreds of fans, setting up the ground and TV cameras, for a pointless fixture that we neither want to win, nor could win if we wanted to. What a joke.

Motspur Park

Interesting what Dale Vince has done at Forest Green. The club was mocked by the footballing world and even the supporters of the club. Gradually though, this ideology is becoming more mainstream. Vegan and vegetarian lifestyles are becoming more common and plant based diets, even if only for a number of days of the week are replacing unhealthy dinners. This is not preaching, just an observation from people I come into contact with. FGR are also preparing to move grounds to a new Eco stadium. All principals to be admired and steps in the right direction.