more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 07/02/20...

Started by WhiteJC, February 06, 2020, 05:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kick Off A Conversation

Fulham is uniting with football clubs across the country to kick off the biggest ever conversation on mental health.

Over the past two seasons, the EFL has joined forces with Mind, the mental health charity, to help improve football's approach to mental health and raise awareness around the country

Now, for two weekends in February, every football team from across the Premier League, English Football League, The National League, The Barclays FA Women's Super League, The FA Women's Championship and The FA Women's National League will dedicate their matches to Heads Up, a partnership between The FA and Heads Together.

Spearheaded by HRH The Duke of Cambridge, Heads Up aims to harness the influence and popularity of football to normalise the conversation around mental health.

The Heads Up Weekends will highlight the power of talking as a way to support one another and dispel the stigma, with activity planned at fixtures across the men's and women's football calendar.

On Saturday 8th February, Fulham will join clubs across the nation to display the Heads Up emblem across our kit, in a major unifying moment that aims to get the nation talking about mental health.

With over 15 million football fans in England, Heads Up aims to use the power of football as a way to show the nation that we all have mental health and it is just as important as physical health. Over the Heads Up Weekends, the aim is to reach every single football fan to raise awareness that we will all face ups and downs in life which will affect our mental health, but we can all do more to support each other - and that starts with talking.

The weekend will further highlight the important work taking place across football to improve the approach to mental health in football. This includes the EFL and Mind's ground-breaking charity partnership, which began in 2018 and has provided increased visibility, important training and support for Clubs, staff and fans, and raised vital funds for the mental health charity.

The simple power of conversation - talking and listening – can be the first step to better mental health, and to making it OK to say we're not OK.

"I think the problem is that people aren't willing to speak out, which is what we're trying to change," Kevin McDonald told FFCtv. "If it's boys in our team, or whatever team, if you speak out then you'll have the backing of the dressing room and the whole of the footballing community."

EFL Chairman Rick Parry, said: "Through our ground-breaking partnership with Mind, the EFL and its Clubs have worked hard to improve the approach to mental health in football and wider society, over the past two seasons.

"Football provides a platform like no other to raise awareness and tackle society's biggest issues and we're proud to offer our support to the Heads Up campaign, as football comes together to further encourage the conversation around mental health. I look forward to seeing the impact over the two weekends."

Whether you or someone you know is struggling, or if you want to help dispel the stigma, kick off a conversation about mental health this weekend.

Join the conversation using #KickOffAConversation and #HeadsUp.

Find out more and get tips from Heads Up's charity partners (Mind, CALM, Sporting Chance and Heads Together) – visit headstogether.org.uk/heads-up.

Those wanting immediate support can also text 'HeadsUp' to 85258 to connect with a trained crisis volunteer – a service run by 'Shout' and powered by Crisis Text Line, which is available 24/7 and free to text from most mobile networks.

For further advice and support please visit www.mind.org.uk. To learn more about the EFL's partnership rel="noopener noreferrer" with Mind, please visit: mind.org.uk/onyourside

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/06/kick-off-a-conversation

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Scott Parker has been impressed by what he's seen from Blackburn Rovers this season.

After an uneasy start to the campaign, Rovers' recent form has catapulted them up the standings.

Tony Mowbray's side are particularly formidable at home, with only Cardiff City losing fewer matches on their own turf.

"I think they're unbeaten in 10 [at home] and the last time they lost was in September," Parker said. "He's done a great job there, Tony, a really good job.

"We played them early on in the season, the second game of the season. We won but it was a very tight game, a tough game as well.

"I've been watching bits of them over the last few weeks and they've had some really good results. They're very tough to beat at Ewood Park so it's going to be a very big test for us on the road.

"We're in good form and we're in a good place, but we're under no illusions, we know the weekend is going to be a very, very tough game."

Mowbray is someone Parker has been familiar with since he was first starting out as a young player, having met in unusual circumstances.

"I know Tony really well," he explained. "I met him when I was getting married in Barbados, just me and my wife, however long ago now.

"We had two weeks there and Tony was there at the time, and that was where I first met him.

"It's not like we're always in contact, but certainly at the beginning of the season here we had a chat.

"How time's moved on; he first saw me when I was a 20-year-old getting married to my wife, and now I'm four more kids down the line!"

Fulham could potentially have Anthony Knockaert back for the trip to Lancashire on Saturday, but his Head Coach will not be taking any risks.

"Anthony Knockaert has trained over the last days so we'll have to see how he goes tomorrow and if the weekend comes a little bit early for him," he revealed. "But he's certainly on the right track.

"Alfie Mawson's come out of surgery last week, so he'll be out for some time. Max Le Marchand is the same, and Harrison Reed there's still an issue."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/06/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Preview: Blackburn Rovers vs. Fulham - prediction, team news, lineups

Playoff-chasing Blackburn Rovers host third-placed Fulham as two sides in good form clash at Ewood Park on Saturday.

Both sides are unbeaten in four league games and will be looking to extend their respective runs as they chase promotion.

Match preview
Blackburn are 10th in the Championship table and six points off the playoffs, but they are in good form and will hope to continue to put pressure on the teams ahead of them.

Tony Mowbray's side are the joint-second highest scorers in the league outside the top six, with 43 strikes in 30 games - just two behind Fulham's total and level with Preston North End.

After a mixed start to the campaign, Blackburn have been in excellent form, losing just two of their last 14 league outings - a run that stretches back to late November.

Rovers will be hoping to exact revenge for the 2-0 defeat they suffered at Craven Cottage in the reverse fixture earlier this season, when Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrovic struck either side of half-time.

Fulham are having a strong campaign of their own and find themselves just three points off the automatic promotion places after a run of three wins in their last four league games.

Scott Parker's side have lost just one of their last seven outings, winning four times and failing to score just once as they look to leapfrog one of Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion.

The London outfit have been strong at both ends of the pitch, boasting the fifth-best scoring record and the fourth-best defensive record in the division so far.

Fulham have an outside chance of going second with a win, but Leeds would need to lose to Nottingham Forest and boast a superior goal-difference.

Blackburn Rovers Championship form: LLDWWD
Blackburn Rovers form (all competitions): LLDWWD

Fulham Championship form: WLWWDW
Fulham form (all competitions): WWWDLW

Team News
Blackburn boss Mowbray has a lengthy injury list to contend with ahead of Fulham's visit to Ewood Park.

Bradley Dack, Joe Grayson and Greg Cunningham have all been ruled out for the rest of the season with serious injuries.

Meanwhile, Lewis Holtby, Joe Rothwell, Bradley Lyons and Corry Evans are all unavailable for the game.

Fulham manager Parker has far less to be concerned about on the injury front.

Maxime Le Marchand is out, while Anthony Knockaert and Harrison Reed are both being assessed and have an outside chance of featuring.

Blackburn Rovers possible starting lineup:
Walton; Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo, Bell; Travis, Downing; Gallagher, Bennett, Rankin-Costello; Armstrong

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Odoi, Bryan; Onomah, McDonald, Cairney; Cavaleiro, Mitrovic, Reid

We say: Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Fulham

Two good sides in good form meet in this one and, while Fulham have the edge in personnel and quality, Blackburn's home advantage may be just enough for both teams to cancel each other out and maintain their respective unbeaten runs.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/blackburn-rovers/preview/preview-blackburn-vs-fulham-prediction-team-news-lineups_388943.html

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup preview: Manchester City v Fulham

Fulham's Under 18s return to FA Youth Cup action tonight with a tough fifth round trip to Manchester City, reliably considered one of the country's finest academies. Steve Wigley's charges should go into the contest full of confidence, though. They have lost just one of their fourteen league games this season – setting the pace at the top of the Premier League South standings – and with City leading the way in the North, the scene is set for a mouthwatering clash.

The man of the moment Jay Stansfield, whose outstanding form since his summer arrival from Exeter City has seen him elevated to the senior squad, will lead the line for Fulham at the Etihad Campus this evening fresh from signing professional terms with the club. The seventeen year-old striker has scored eighteen goals in eleven appearances for the under-18s this term and also netted on his under-23 debut against West Ham. His eye-catching debut in the FA Cup against Aston Villa was followed by a first senior league appearance in the closing stages at Charlton Athletic a couple of weeks ago and Stansfield's consistency has seen him earn England honours as well. He scored a hat-trick against South Shields in the third round – and could be Fulham's most potent threat should he be selected after missing the weekend win over Reading.

Fulham came through a tough tussle with Sheffield United in the fourth round, with full back Cody Drameh finishing off a flowing counter-attack after running fully 70 yards with the ball having helped the Whites clear a corner. Such was the quality of Drameh's delightful strike that it was among the contenders for the Fulham January goal of the month award. Drameh, another of the promising right backs that the Fulham academy have produced of ate, has featured regularly for Mark Pembridge's under-23 side and this is a common characteristic of the team that Wigley is likely to pick tonight, with seven of the starters against South Shields having seen some PL2 action this season.

Fulham's key player could well be the prodigiously talented Fabio Carvalho, who has captained the under 18s on several occasions this season. The England youth international, who burst onto the scene with some superb performances in Fulham's FA Youth Cup to the quarter finals in 2018, is excellent adept playing as a winger or a number ten and is having a sensational season so far. Carvalho has scored four goals and made five more in ten appearances for the under-18s, whilst four times in six starts at under-23 level as well. His guile, flair and vision will be crucial to unlocking the Manchester City defence this evening.

The consistently high level of young talent that comes through the Fulham academy is something of a marvel, with credit having to go to academy director Huw Jennings, Malcolm Elias and, of course, Wigley, who is now back in charge at under-18 level. This might just be the best crop of under-18s since the side that reached the final of the FA Youth Cup in 2014, a line-up that included the likes of Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts and Marek Rodak. City will prove a tough test, but there's no reason why the Whites can't progress further in the competition with another composed display.

MY FULHAM U18s XI: Las; Drameh, Odutayo, Murphy, McAvoy; Page, O'Neill; Carvalho, Jasper, Tiehl; Stansfield.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/02/fa-youth-cup-preview-manchester-city-v-fulham/

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 08/02
We're on our travels again, this weekend were off to Blackburn Rovers.
Well we hung-on after a fantastic start on Saturday, those first 30-35 minutes were some of the best I've seen at the Cottage this season, the second half we managed to hang-on, at some points in this season we wouldn't have.
Really good news that both Mitro and AK47 were back for the game and with Bobby Decordova-Reid scoring one of the best goals I've seen for some time, things look better on the attacking front.
As for defence the addition of Michael Hector has made a "chalk and cheese" difference to the back four, if only he could have started at the beginning of the season.

Blackburn are on a bit of a run themselves, they drew with Middlesborough at the weekend, beat QPR at home, beat Wednesday 0-5 away and drew with Preston NE.
Our results against Rovers is quite even with 5 wins, 8 loses and 6 draws so if history is anything to go by it'll be a close game.

COYW's

Games of Interest...
Friday 7th

Bristol City v Birmingham City

Saturday 8th
Wigan v Preston NE
Blackburn v Fulham
Brentford v Middlesbrough
Huddersfield v QPR
Stoke v Charlton
Nottm Forest v Leeds

Sunday 9th
Millwall v West Brom

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://bit.ly/31tyNLs

WhiteJC

'I'm a big fan', 'Exciting times ahead' – These Fulham fans react to positive player news

Jay Stansfield has been earmarked as one of the brightest talents at Fulham this season, and his good form has been rewarded with a first professional contract.

The teenage striker signed for the club in 2019 from Exeter City after completing his secondary school education, and he has been making a name for himself at under-18 and under-23 level.

Stansfield has already scored 22 goals this season as an under-18, his form then earning him a first game at under-23 level in which he scored 11 minutes after coming off the bench.

The form that the youngster has been showing hasn't gone unnoticed by first-team manager Scott Parker either, who has handed the forward two games at senior level over the past month.

The youngster will be looking to follow in the footsteps of his dad Adam, who had his own Football League career with Yeovil Town, Hereford United and Exeter City before passing away from colorectal cancer in 2010.

Fulham have been able to produce some good talents over the years, most recently bringing through Marcus Bettinelli, Steven Sessegnon and Ryan Sessegnon to the senior squad. The latter was sold to Tottenham Hotspur last summer for £25 million.

The fans at Craven Cottage have taken a liking to Stansfield because of his form at youth level, and here is the reaction from the Cottagers fans to the young talent signing his first professional contract...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/im-a-big-fan-exciting-times-ahead-these-fulham-fans-react-to-positive-player-news/

WhiteJC

Fulham snap-up exciting striking prospect

Fulham have signed young striker Kieron Bowie from Scottish League One side Raith Rovers, with the teenager set to complete his move in the summer.

The 17-year-old has struck 10 goals in 33 games since making his debut for the side last season, and he has been a regular throughout the current campaign as Raith currently lead the League One table.

The striker will remain with his current club for the rest of the season, following the winter transfer window closing last week.

Born in Kirkcaldy, he progressed through the youth system at Raith and even watched their games from a young age alongside his grandfather.

Bowie said: "The last year or so has been a whirlwind and dream to play and score in the first team. To now get the chance to join a club the size of Fulham is really exciting and a great opportunity to help progress my career.

"I will be forever grateful for the chance the management team have given me, so it was really important for me to finish the season with Raith. Hopefully I can repay this by helping them win the league.

"I'm looking forward to joining Fulham for pre-season and getting started."

He will join a strong forward line at Fulham that contains the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Bobby Reid, Aboubakar Kamara and Neeskens Kebano at senior level.

Bowie isn't the only youngster who has signed a professional contract with the Cottagers over the past couple of days with fellow 17-year-old striker Jay Stansfield putting pen to paper after a promising start to his Fulham cover.

Stansfield has netted 22 goals for the under-18s this campaign, while also making two substitute appearances for the first team.

The Verdict

Bowie signing for Fulham is the latest indication that Parker is looking to tun towards youth, as he now has the future forward line locked down to professional contracts.

Having shown promise for Raith, he has earned his move to Fulham as they will now take charge of his development from the summer onwards, as Parker looks to unlock the teenager's real potential and get him involved with the first team.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-snap-up-exciting-striking-prospect/

WhiteJC

No Rovers return for Reed as Fulham boss praises Mowbray

Fulham head coach Scott Parker with Rovers boss Tony Mowbray

Harrison Reed won't be fit enough to make an Ewood return for current loan club Fulham as he remains sidelined with a calf problem.

Rovers tried to sign Reed on loan for a season season from Southampton in the summer after an impressive spell in 2018/19.

Fulham won the race for the 25-year-old who has played 17 times this season, but none since limping off in a New Year's Day defeat to Reading.

Boss Scott Park revealed better news on the fitness of Anthony Knockaert however, with Fulham arriving at Ewood having taken 10 points from the last 12 available.

"Anthony Knockaert has trained over the last days so we'll have to see how he goes and if the weekend comes a little bit early for him," Parker said. "But he's certainly on the right track.

"Alfie Mawson's come out of surgery last week, so he'll be out for some time. Max Le Marchand is the same, and Harrison Reed there's still an issue."

Fulham have climbed to third in the table, but Parker is well aware of the threat Rovers face, particularly at Ewood.

"I think they're unbeaten in 10 at home and the last time they lost was in September," he told his club's website.

"He's done a great job there, Tony, a really good job.

"We played them early on in the season, the second game of the season. We won but it was a very tight game, a tough game as well.

"I've been watching bits of them over the last few weeks and they've had some really good results.

"They're very tough to beat at Ewood Park so it's going to be a very big test for us on the road.

"We're in good form and we're in a good place, but we're under no illusions, we know the weekend is going to be a very, very tough game."

Parker also revealed his knowledge of Tony Mowbray started almost 20 years ago, explaining: "I know Tony really well. I met him when I was getting married in Barbados, just me and my wife, however long ago now.

"We had two weeks there and Tony was there at the time, and that was where I first met him.

"It's not like we're always in contact, but certainly at the beginning of the season here we had a chat.

"How time's moved on; he first saw me when I was a 20-year-old getting married to my wife, and now I'm four more kids down the line!"

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18217116.no-rovers-return-reed-fulham-boss-praises-mowbray/

WhiteJC

Bristol City to celebrate club's 125th anniversary against Fulham with discounted tickets

Robins announce grand plans for the visit of the Cottagers.

Bristol City are having a party - and you're invited. While there may yet be one come the end of the season if promoted, this one relates to celebrating the Robins' birthday.

Technically, last year was the 125th anniversary of the club - as recently confirmed to Bristol Live by club historian David Woods.

But City are celebrating the event at the home game against Fulham on Saturday 7 March instead.

The Robins began life in 1894 - as Bristol South End - later changing their name to Bristol City on adopting professionalism three years later when they were admitted into the Southern League.

And a range of announced tie-in celebrations will celebrate the plans, including discounted tickets priced at around £12.50 as per their 'mates' rates' scheme and members ticket prices.

The City players will also wear a limited edition commemorative shirt, available to buy, and a special souvenir programme will be on offer.

City Chairman Jon Lansdown told the club website:

"Earlier this season we were 125 years old and this will be a day for all City fans to celebrate the club that means so much to us.

"We feel it is right to offer discounted entry so that as many people can experience our home of Ashton Gate and we're expecting a full house in what will be an important match.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-celebrate-clubs-125th-3817580

WhiteJC

3 possibilities that could cause Fulham to crumble this season

Things are going rather well for Fulham since their New Year's Day defeat to Reading at Craven Cottage.

They are unbeaten in their last three league games, keeping a clean sheet in each one, as they look to narrow a gap on promotion favourites Leeds United and West Brom.

However, whilst things are going well now, there is always the prospect of things taking a turn for the worst.

With that in mind, we take a look at THREE possibilities which could cause Scott Parker's men to crumble this season...

Hector injury
He has only been there for just over a month but it is clear that Michael Hector is already one of Scott Parker's most important men.

Prior to his arrival, the duo of Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson looked fine in possession but ultimately lacked leadership and a physical dominance over their opposition.

It is no coincidence, therefore, that The Whites have kept a clean sheet in all three league matches Hector has played.

That over reliance could prove a real problem if he picks up an injury, however, leaving them exposed at the back once again.

Arrogance
This appeared to be a bit of a problem at the beginning of the season.

With players such as Tom Cairney, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert at their disposal, there was a sense that some in the Fulham team felt they didn't have to put that much hard work in.

That has been drilled out of them by Parker since but there is always a risk that with their decent run of form, it could return at any time and if it does, it could prove very costly – especially at this stage.

Off-field
By all accounts things have been nice and rosey between the players away from the action this season, as things often are for teams doing well.

But we know that there are characters present who have a tendancy to clash. Last season we heard of the Mitrovic clash with Aboubakar Kamara in the midst of Fulham's relegation battle.

It is hard to see this year considering how good both have been, but it is a disruptive possiblility that hangs over their season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-possibilities-that-could-cause-fulham-to-crumble-this-season/

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers v Fulham
SAT 08 Feb 2020  Championship
Venue: Ewood Park

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic scored on his return to action against Huddersfield to take his tally to 19 Championship goals this season

Blackburn midfielder Lewis Holtby has damaged knee ligaments, joining Bradley Dack (knee) and Corry Evans (fractured skull) on the sidelines.

Joe Rothwell (hamstring) is unlikely to feature this month, but Charlie Mulgrew is back in training.

Fulham winger Anthony Knockaert will be assessed after returning to training following a hamstring injury.

Tim Ream could be back after suspension while fellow defender Terence Kongolo is also available to return.

Centre-backs Maxime Le Marchand (back) and Alfie Mawson (knee) remain out, alongside midfielder Harrison Reed (adductor).

"I know Tony [Mowbray, Blackburn manager] really well. I met him when I was getting married in Barbados - just me and my wife - when I was 20.

"It's not as if we're always in contact, but certainly at the beginning of the season we had a chat.

"How time's moved on; he first saw me when I was a 20-year-old getting married to my wife, and now I'm four kids down the line."

Match facts

This is the first league meeting between Blackburn and Fulham at Ewood Park since August 2016, with the visitors winning 1-0 under Slavisa Jokanovic.
    Fulham haven't completed a league double over Blackburn since the 2000-01 season, when they won the second tier to earn promotion to the Premier League.
    Blackburn are currently unbeaten in 10 league games at Ewood Park (W5 D5) since a 2-1 defeat against Luton in September.
    Fulham have lost just one of their last eight league games (W5 D2) since losing three in a row in December.
    Adam Armstrong has either scored or assisted in each of his last five league matches for Blackburn (two goals and four assists).
    Fulham have had 445 sequences of 10 or more passes in open play this season, 141 more than the next closest side (Brentford, 304).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51268103

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans react to Stansfield news

Fulham youngster Jay Stansfield has signed his first professional contract with the club – the news was confirmed via their official website on Wednesday.

The 17-year-old joined the Cottagers from Exeter City in the summer and has been a standout player in the clubs Under-18s side, therefore, the club were keen to tie him down.

Stansfield has played 11 times in the U18 Premier League, scoring an incredible 18 goals so far. His impressive displays then earned him a call up to the Under-23s for whom he scored his first goal shortly after coming off of the substitutes' bench versus West Ham United. Despite being so young, the centre-forward has already made his Championship debut for Scott Parker's side although it was just a brief cameo during the 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic last month.

What do we think?

Given the promise shown by Stansfield at the various youth levels, you can understand why the club were eager to get him signed on a professional contract. It's a step in the right direction for both the player and the club, and the fans will be hoping he can continue his excellent goalscoring form at a higher level.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/02/twitter/fulham-fans-react-to-stansfield-news/

WhiteJC

Michael Hector shares positive Fulham message following strong start

Fulham centre-back Michael Hector has shared his personal thoughts with fans after completing his first month as a player at Craven Cottage.

His effect on the team has been immediate, going straight into Scott Parker's first-choice XI and earning himself a Championship player of the month nomination in the process.

Taking to Instagram to share his thoughts, Hector shared a series of photos from January, along with the caption: "Feeling at home ⚽️👊🏽 1st month done 🤙🏽✅".

Hector was initially signed by the Whites back in the summer but after completing their deal with Chelsea too late, he has had to wait until this month to be officially registered.

Fulham kept clean sheets in three of their four league matches last month. The only match they conceded any goals came on New Year's Day against Reading, where Hector did not play.

This weekend sees the club travel to Blackburn Rovers where they will be hoping to close the gap even further on the automatic promotion places.

The verdict
They really do not come any better than Michael Hector in terms of quality Championship centre-backs.

He showed last season with Sheffield Wednesday just how good he is at this level and he is a serious coup for Parker and co this time around.

It is a shame he ever left to sign for Chelsea really. He was in excellent form with Reading and you can only wonder at what level he would be playing at now if he had been a bit more sensible at the time.

But he is clearly eager to make up for that lost time and he will be looking to prove himself in the Premier League with Fulham.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/michael-hector-shares-positive-fulham-message-following-strong-start/

WhiteJC

Fulham fall to Manchester City in FA Youth Cup exit

A brave Fulham side went out of the FA Youth Cup after losing a tight fifth round tie by the barest of margins at Manchester City this evening. A fine individual goal from Lewis Fiorini settled a cagey contest, with Steve Wigley's youngsters fighting all the way to finish.

The game started slowly, with both sides feeling each other out tentatively. Fulham fashioned the first opportunity when Sylvester Jasper's clever free-kick almost fell for Fabio Carvalho but goalkeeper Cieran Slicker was alert to the danger and came off his line to clear. At the other end, Fulham had done well to keep City's patient possession from threatening their goal – but they were undone by the home side's first serious attack.

Scottish attacking midfielder Fiorini was allowed to carry the ball deep into Fulham territory having picked up possession inside his own half and curled an unstoppable finish into the top corner from just outside the box. It was a magnificent individual effort worthy of winning any contest, although Wigley will have been disappointed with his defence's failure to close Fiorini down.

Fulham kept pushing forward and another Jasper free-kick almost delivered an equaliser before half time. This time Luca Murphy rose well at the far post but his header drifted fractionally wide of the target. Jay Stansfield then produced a superb through ball to send Jasper clear of the City defence but his tame finish was easily thwarted by Slicker.

The visitors continued to threaten after the interval with Josh Wilson-Esbrand forced into a hurried clearance to deal with a strong run from Ollie O'Neill. At the other end, the lively Jayden Braaf was a constant threat to the Fulham defence and the young Dutch winger cut inside dangerously before firing marginally wide from the edge of the area.

Braaf then presented Morgan Rivers with a glorious chance to settle the contest twelve minutes from ten. He tormented the retreating Fulham defence, embarking on a mazy run before unselfishly squaring for Rogers, who inexplicably missed the target altogether from six yards out.

Fulham roused themselves for one final assault and it looked as if they might force extra time twice at the death. First, Slicker produced a quite exceptional reaction save to kept out Jonathan Page's strike after City failed to clear a free-kick with five minutes left. Stansfield thought he had grabbed an equaliser deep into stoppage time after bundling home from close range, but the assistant referee's flag cut short joyous celebrations as the goal was chalked off for an offside in the build-up.

MANCHESTER CITY UNDER 18s (4-3-3): Slicker; Diounkou, Wilson-Esbrand (Robinson 77′), Doyle, McDonald; Knight (Delap 63′), Mbete-Tabu, Palmer; Fiorini, Rogers (Edozie 87′), Braaf. Subs (not used): Bazunu, McAtee, Hodge, Egan-Riley.

GOAL: Fiorini (11).

FULHAM U18s (4-3-1-2): Las; Drameh, Odutayo, McAvoy, Murphy; Carvalho, Page, O'Neill (Biereth 83); Jasper; Stansfield, Tiehi (Ablade 56). Subs (not used): Chisholm, Bowat, Williams, Pajaziti.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/02/fulham-fall-to-manchester-city-in-fa-youth-cup-exit/

WhiteJC

Blackburn v Fulham line-ups, odds and all you need to know

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Blackburn host Fulham on Saturday looking to make it five games unbeaten in the Championship.

From likely line-ups to key men and the referee, all you need to know can be found below.

Key battle

Aleksandar Mitrovic is back fit, and has 27 goals in 32 games for club and country this season. Darragh Lenihan, who missed the reverse fixture, will be the man tasked with trying to stop him adding to that tally.

Last meeting

A Tom Cairney screamer and late Mitrovic strike handed Fulham the three points at Craven Cottage, ensuring Rovers started the season with back-to-back defeats. Fulham won on their last visit to Ewood in August 2016.

Referee

Tony Harrington: North East official has shown 63 yellow cards and three reds in 25 games this season. Was the man in the middle for Rovers' 3-2 defeat at West Brom in August.

Likely line-ups

Rovers: Christian Walton, Ryan Nyambe, Darragh Lenihan, Tosin Adarabioyo, Amari'i Bell, Elliott Bennett, Lewis Travis, Stewart Downing, Joe Rankin-Costello, Sam Gallagher, Adam Armstrong

Fulham: Marek Rodak, Cyrus Christie, Dennis Odoi, Michael Hector, Joe Bryan, Kevin McDonald, Tom Cairney, Stefan Johansen, Bobby Decordova-Reid, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ivan Cavaleiro

Odds

Rovers may have a fine home record but are 9/5 to beat third-placed Fulham who are a 6/4 shot. The draw is 23/10. Stewart Downing is 12/1 to score first on what will be his 600th career appearance.

Fixtures

Friday: Bristol City v Birmingham. Saturday: Wigan v Preston (12.30), Barnsley v Sheff Wednesday (1.30), Brentford v Middlesbrough, Huddersfield v QPR, Luton v Cardiff, Reading v Hull, Stoke v Charlton, Swansea v Derby, Nottingham Forest v Leeds (5.30). Sunday: Millwall v West Brom

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18217681.blackburn-v-fulham-line-ups-odds-need-know/

WhiteJC

The Opposition View: Fulham (H)

We speak to Fulham fan Dan Crawford from hammyend.com for an opposition view on tomorrow's match.

Why do you support Fulham?

Very simply I was taken to my first game by my neighbours, who were mad Fulham fans and very active in the supporters' club. It seemed like they knew everyone at the ground, which was a big thing when you were little. Craven Cottage was like no football ground I'd seen before – terraced, quite quaint and full of character. The game was end-to-end, there were plenty of goals and I was hooked. I begged my Dad, who coming from New Zealand was more of a rugby man, to take me to the next home game and the life sentence started there.

What has been the standout season following the Whites?

There are plenty of possible contenders. I loved the 1996-97 season, where a side assembled by novice manager Micky Adams on a shoestring, surprised everyone by winning promotion from Division Three. Some of the football played by Jean Tigana's Division One winning team in 2000-01 was sublime and, similarly, Slavisa Jokanovic's play-off winning squad of a couple of seasons ago was a joy to watch. But the best season simply has to be when Roy Hodgson guided the Whites to a European final. Beating Juventus 4-1 at Craven Cottage will live long in the memory and then beating Hamburg in the semi-final was sensational. I still bore people about the quality of Simon Davies' equaliser – if Messi had scored that they'd still be running replays of it now! I'm fairly confident I'll never see anything like that again.

And what about the worst season?

There have been a few. The relegations from the Premier League were gut-wrenching, although 2014 comfortably beats last season because we were so demonstrably below the level required last year. Getting relegated in 1993-94 was horrible for all sorts of reasons. It took us down to the lowest division that the club had played in professionally, Don Mackay was suddenly proven to be well out of his depth after starting off quite well, and we succumbed to the drop by the barest of margins. But, personally, the worst season was 2002-03. Fulham might have been in the Premier League, but we were playing at Loftus Road and, for a while, it looked like we would never return to the Cottage, which would have been heartbreaking, because of what the ground means to the fans. It was very tough to summon up the enthusiasm that year, even though some of the football we played in the early part of the season was brilliant.

How has this season been for Fulham?

It's been a bit of a slow-burner. Scott Parker as a manager still divides the fanbase a bit and you can see him still working out how to get a strong squad to play in the way that he wants. I think he could be a real success and it's frankly a little preposterous that he's under any pressure at all, given that we're now in third and in striking distance of the top two. We still play the same pretty football, although at a lower tempo than the last time we were in this division under Jokanovic, and our defence can still look as though they've only met each other of the morning of the game – which keeps things interesting.

Which players do Rovers need to keep their eyes on?

Aleksandar Mitrovic is the boring answer. He's deadly in front of goal and a real handful for defenders. We've been very lucky to keep him for another year in the Championship, he's far too good for this level. He came from an ankle injury ahead of schedule last week, looked a little off the pace and still grabbed a goal, which sums him up really. Rovers fans will know all about the danger of Tom Cairney, so I'll suggest you take a close look at Bobby Decordova-Reid, who scored a sensational goal last week and adds a bit of dynamism to our play in the final third. He's in great form at the moment.

If you could bring one Rovers player to Fulham, who would it be and why?

This is a very cheeky answer given how much of a steal Cairney turned out to be, but I've always liked the look of Ryan Nyambe. He's got all the attributes to a top-class right back and seems to have really kicked on again this season. We're pretty weak in both full-back positions and Nyambe has always been a solid performer whenever I've seen him play.

Will you be attending the match on Saturday?

Yes, I've always enjoyed my trips to Ewood Park, so it is one of the first fixtures I look for at the start of the season. It's a proper football ground and I've been fortunate enough to have some great conversations with Rovers fans on my way to the ground in the past. I hope it'll be a good game between two in-form sides.

Finally, what's your score prediction?

Fulham have been a little shaky at the back all season and those frailties returned worrying against Huddersfield last week, turning what should have been a comfortable victory into an edge-of-the-seat affair. We've been a lot better away from home, but Rovers have an outstanding home record and a terrific manager in Tony Mowbray, who seems to be getting plenty out of a squad that could have been stretched by injuries. I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

http://roverschat.com/the-opposition-view-fulham-h/

WhiteJC

Rovers v Fulham: Losing Lewis, Arma's impact and play-off talk (again)

Daniel Ainsworth looks at three talking points ahead of Rovers' home match with Fulham.

Losing Lewis

The news broke on Thursday evening that Lewis Holtby would be out until the end of the season, adding to Rovers' injury woes in terms of attacking midfielders, with Bradley Dack out for the season and Joe Rothwell absent until March.

Supporters can say we should have strengthed in January, and I agree with that notion, but I don't recall anyone calling for this position.

The injuries could provide an opportunity for someone like Ben Brereton to have a go in the team, with Joe Rankin-Costello potentially getting a second successive start by moving behind the striker, or Stewart Downing could move out wide.

Whoever replaces Holtby, they'll need to fill his role properly to help Rovers to victory.

Arma's impact

He's the man in form and it feels like we're writing about him every single week now. Adam Armstrong has contributed to seven goals this calendar year (all comps.) and looks to have properly stepped up following Dack's absence.

Every game has seen him contribute to a goal, with 'Arma' grabbing the assist for Lewis Travis' goal at Middlesbrough last time, and it's his work off the ball that helps the team also.

His pace and will to run the channels helps to stretch defences and lets the other attacking players into space, and that has been key to Rovers over the last six or seven matches.

Play-off talk (again)

The dreaded talk of the top six again.

We've 16 matches left and these games against teams in and around the top six are absolutely key to Rovers' chances of finishing in the play-off spots come May.

A win against Fulham would really signal our intent to go and achieve something this season, and I hope the home fans get right behind Mowbray and his boys come 3pm on Saturday.

Enjoy the game.

http://roverschat.com/ffc-h-pmtp/