watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The big wobble. What does it mean?

Started by Andy S, February 08, 2020, 09:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Some interesting reference points.  Wolves two years ago, Newcastle three years ago got promoted comfortably but struggled against us.  Wolves were obviously very very good and played their part in one of the best games of football in a decade.  Newcastle played us on the opening game and both they and Fulham played like the bunch of strangers they largely were.

But the reference point I reflect upon is Adel Taraabt who seven or eight years ago basically was to QPR's promotion side what Freddy Mercury was to Queen.  One player can't carry a team to the title nowadays. 

Another reference point would be Middlesborough of a few years ago when they nearly got promoted several season running.  Their midfield axis of Clayton and Forshaw was streets ahead of most teams, bouncing around in a way that I now see championship midfields doing week in week out.

My point is that the standard is really high.  And what that means is if a teams confidence dips, losing can become a habit and winning a mental mountain.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Carborundum on February 10, 2020, 08:42:42 PM
Some interesting reference points.  Wolves two years ago, Newcastle three years ago got promoted comfortably but struggled against us.  Wolves were obviously very very good and played their part in one of the best games of football in a decade.  Newcastle played us on the opening game and both they and Fulham played like the bunch of strangers they largely were.

But the reference point I reflect upon is Adel Taraabt who seven or eight years ago basically was to QPR's promotion side what Freddy Mercury was to Queen.  One player can't carry a team to the title nowadays. 

Another reference point would be Middlesborough of a few years ago when they nearly got promoted several season running.  Their midfield axis of Clayton and Forshaw was streets ahead of most teams, bouncing around in a way that I now see championship midfields doing week in week out.

My point is that the standard is really high.  And what that means is if a teams confidence dips, losing can become a habit and winning a mental mountain.

People say the standard is high, but we basically manage to find easy pass after easy pass. We pass the ball around endlessly and pointlessly waiting for an easy opening, then when easy changes don't come we call the leagues standard very high. We pass the ball around, but rarely create holes in their defense and once a game Mitro puts a 50/50 in the net.
A year ago Norwich was creating holes everywhere and Brentford is making more teams look poor than us.