https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poor result

Started by fulhamben, February 12, 2020, 09:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2020, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on February 13, 2020, 08:24:14 AM
I have told it before as I see it that Parker's team selections, formations, tactics, and in game management can be all over the place but nowhere near the consistency required to be a convincing outfit.

Forget the offside debacle because a goal was given.  Think more about the ridiculous rushing at opponents and not winning the ball which spread faster than a virus around this team.  Even Hector caught the bug.  Think about how easily our opponents outthought and outfought us once that goal was given in the first half.  The second was more even but we still lacked composure and method.  Parker needs to wise up and pick horses for courses for the long term and not get carried away with little bursts of apparent form which mislead all but those who should know better.

Poor team selection via poor analysis of where the team needs to be composed - central midfield MrP - in order to stop our defence being vulnerable.

This. Doesn't matter that individual midfielders may play well, because so far this season the midfield three has rarely (if ever) looked like a unit. As long as they don't, we are bound to see this huge inconsistency both between games but also within games. In that way it's the opposite of Jokanovic's team, because those three looked like they had played together all their life. They are all still here by the way...

Totally agree. Stef, KMac and Cairney looked perfect, completely dominating games. I think I've seen that sort of cohesion once maybe this season? With all the quality we seem to have in this squad in those positions, I just don't see how Parker can't get this right. Especially considering he has those same three players albeit slightly older but KMac and Stef have proven they aren't passed the post yet when used.

colinwhite

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2020, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on February 13, 2020, 08:24:14 AM
I have told it before as I see it that Parker's team selections, formations, tactics, and in game management can be all over the place but nowhere near the consistency required to be a convincing outfit.

Forget the offside debacle because a goal was given.  Think more about the ridiculous rushing at opponents and not winning the ball which spread faster than a virus around this team.  Even Hector caught the bug.  Think about how easily our opponents outthought and outfought us once that goal was given in the first half.  The second was more even but we still lacked composure and method.  Parker needs to wise up and pick horses for courses for the long term and not get carried away with little bursts of apparent form which mislead all but those who should know better.

Poor team selection via poor analysis of where the team needs to be composed - central midfield MrP - in order to stop our defence being vulnerable.

This. Doesn't matter that individual midfielders may play well, because so far this season the midfield three has rarely (if ever) looked like a unit. As long as they don't, we are bound to see this huge inconsistency both between games but also within games. In that way it's the opposite of Jokanovic's team, because those three looked like they had played together all their life. They are all still here by the way...

Quite a simplistic view in all honesty ,both posts. We are not playing the way we did under Slavisa which leaves our midfield needing to be more creative. Our full-backs well Bryan at least poses a threat going forward but we dont have the pace of Fredricks or the pace /mobility of sessignon. So when we do play it out wide it often ends up getting recirculated to attempt to open up space.Our wide forwards still play very central (as they largely did under Joka ) but now mostly cut in. When we can combine with mitro we create openings,but he has  not played all that well recently apart from his goals in my view. The partnership Mitro /sessegnon has not been replicated.thus far. Down to parkers tactics? In part but his tactics have also made us a lot more solid (not just down to individuals). Within 2or 3 games we could be top of the table and last nights draw although not great ,wasnt that bad either.
The pressure is on us and for me,the biggest question is if we can cope with that.

toshes mate

Quote from: colinwhite on February 13, 2020, 10:05:37 AM
Quite a simplistic view in all honesty, both posts ... the biggest question is if we can cope with pressure ...
At least these posts were not full of specious waffle about recycling, creativity, and opening up space (when did we last do that consistently for ninety minutes)?  Your question has been answered several times already this season as we have not capitalised on failures of others around us.   Players rushing twenty yards or more to go out of position and fail to win the ball is a schoolboy error, as is having a player who manages to let one incident dominate the rest of the game (and not for the first time).  Please let us have a modicum of composure at the heart of our game.

Statto

Let's be honest, that midfield three of Johansen, McDonald and Cairney probably overachieved with Jokanovic (to his credit) but he also got lucky with injuries (or more specifically, a lack thereof) and let's not forget they were actually only good for half a season (or at best, two half seasons).

In contrast, this year I think all three (and all our other midfielders) have had injuries at some point, requiring Parker to rotate. We're also setting the bar higher for Parker by expecting him (reasonably IMO) to get us playing well for a full season, to get into the automatics, not just half a season like we did to get into the play-offs under Jokanovic.

It's also worth pointing out IMO that Parker has shown with Onomah (and arguably Anguissa last year) that he can get individuals to raise their game, like Jokanovic did with a few.

Personally I maintain the view that Parker is underachieving, both in terms with what he's getting out of the midfield, and generally with this team. But considering the mitigating factors set out above, IMO he's *only slightly* underachieving.

We're about 6 pts short of where we I thought we should be going into this season.   

colinwhite

Toshesmate .  When it comes to waffle I certainly cant match you. Yet another post where you dont really say anything. But one thing is clear you dont like Parker.

toshes mate

Quote from: colinwhite on February 13, 2020, 10:39:06 AM
Toshesmate .  When it comes to waffle I certainly cant match you. Yet another post where you dont really say anything. But one thing is clear you dont like Parker.
Pot ... Kettle ... Black

colinwhite

Quote from: Statto on February 13, 2020, 10:38:05 AM
Let's be honest, that midfield three of Johansen, McDonald and Cairney probably overachieved with Jokanovic (to his credit) but he also got lucky with injuries (or more specifically, a lack thereof) and let's not forget they were actually only good for half a season (or at best, two half seasons).

In contrast, this year I think all three (and all our other midfielders) have had injuries at some point, requiring Parker to rotate. We're also setting the bar higher for Parker by expecting him (reasonably IMO) to get us playing well for a full season, to get into the automatics, not just half a season like we did to get into the play-offs under Jokanovic.

It's also worth pointing out IMO that Parker has shown with Onomah (and arguably Anguissa last year) that he can get individuals to raise their game, like Jokanovic did with a few.

Personally I maintain the view that Parker is underachieving, both in terms with what he's getting out of the midfield, and generally with this team. But considering the mitigating factors set out above, IMO he's *only slightly* underachieving.

We're about 6 pts short of where we I thought we should be going into this season.   

Agree with most of that Statto

filham

Yes a disappointing result and performance but  then a draw at Mllwall is not really that bad.
However nothing less that a 3-0 win at home to Barnsley on Saturday will be acceptable. KMc. and Cavy must replace Arter and Kamara and Parker must get the team performing for 90 minutes.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes I have to agree about replacing Arter and Kamara for this match v Barnsley.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

keithh

Arter the awful; Hector the hero.

WindyCity

Quote from: keithh on February 13, 2020, 05:38:46 PM
Arter the awful; Hector the hero.

Arter looked terrible v Millwall.  Not sure why he rates.  Not very good, and always a double yellow/straight red waiting to happen.  I just don't see how/why he starts?

USNA90

I hate it when teams press Fulham like Millwall did on Wednesday - it really seems to rattle Fulham, and makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do it against them.  Not being a student of the game, I assume it's like basketball/football, where if the press gets broken, you're vulnerable for a breakaway down the court/field.  The problem is, Fulham can't break a press.  The keep passing the ball sideways and backwards until, eventually out of frustration, they loft if forwards where the opponent inevitably gets control.  It seems to me like a lack of overall team speed might be the culprit, in that if Fulham had more of it, other teams might not be willing to press up so hard.  However, Fulham hasn't shown the ability to punish anyone for doing that.  Is it the lack of speed, poor passing, poor ball skills, or something else which makes this such an effective tactic against Fulham?

WindyCity

Quote from: USNA90 on February 14, 2020, 09:29:35 AM
I hate it when teams press Fulham like Millwall did on Wednesday - it really seems to rattle Fulham, and makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do it against them.  Not being a student of the game, I assume it's like basketball/football, where if the press gets broken, you're vulnerable for a breakaway down the court/field.  The problem is, Fulham can't break a press.  The keep passing the ball sideways and backwards until, eventually out of frustration, they loft if forwards where the opponent inevitably gets control.  It seems to me like a lack of overall team speed might be the culprit, in that if Fulham had more of it, other teams might not be willing to press up so hard.  However, Fulham hasn't shown the ability to punish anyone for doing that.  Is it the lack of speed, poor passing, poor ball skills, or something else which makes this such an effective tactic against Fulham?

Good observation.  FFC has had very few "transition" type goals, both this year and last.  They are a somewhat slow club.  Mitro is great in the box, but he is grindingly slow.  AK47 has some speed, but lacks control and finesse.  Reid can be dangerous in transition too, but although he has some speed he is not super fast.  I get frustrated also with the sideways and backwards possession style of play which this team displays.  I would like to see them much more aggressive when they are moving forward and not have that overwhelming propensity to draw backwards into possession mode. 

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 12, 2020, 09:53:52 PM
Let's take the point,we got lucky with penalty miss.
Barnsley Sat,Leeds play Bristol, so we could be in automatic Sat evening.
Wasn't lucky Mince, just a bad pen.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulhamben

Quote from: alfie on February 14, 2020, 05:26:01 PM

its lucky in the respect that pens shouldn't be missed.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

alfie

Quote from: fulhamben on February 15, 2020, 01:06:49 PM

If a player fails to at least hit the target from 12 yards, that's not lucky/unlucky, it's a badly taken pen.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulhamben

Quote from: alfie on February 15, 2020, 02:11:07 PM

If a player fails to at least hit the target from 12 yards, that's not lucky/unlucky, it's a badly taken pen.

it is a badly taken penalty, but it's lucky that it's taken badly as the vast majority of the time it won't be.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

alfie

Quote from: fulhamben on February 15, 2020, 02:13:26 PM
Quote from: alfie on February 15, 2020, 02:11:07 PM

it is a badly taken penalty, but it's lucky that it's taken badly as the vast majority of the time it won't be.
This could go on and on, gonna leave it there with our slight difference of opinion.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't