watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Narrative

Started by Jurassic Parker, February 12, 2020, 09:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jurassic Parker

Lot's of negativity in the matchday thread. Is it not too disagreeable to suggest that had they not scored an illegal goal for the tie, then we would be applauding the teams grit to battle through a difficult game at The Den--a location that has seen the defeat of Brentford, Leeds and a draw with Nottingham Forest?

The team didn't play as bad as some say and I'm unsure why we are so negative. Many times I've seen the likes of Chelsea, City, and so on struggle to win by one against Palace, West Ham, etc.
It was a similar style game. They man marked us extremely closely, they pressed and closed down with extreme hunger, we barely had a moment to think.
It became apparent that Hector was to be our outlet during the second half, and if you look at how we changed after Parker's substitutes notes then you will notice how Hector was allowing the likes of Cairney to push forward by being entrusted with cutting through their midfield. He played some poor balls forward aerially, but it seemed this was due to them being a sudden plan b when his route a was cut off. We also made some wonderful moves, Bryan was fantastic down the wing, the one-two's were great, some good overlaps, but ultimately we were playing a team that wanted to play over the top and on the counter so we couldn't commit too many forward, whilst they were prepared to sit 9 men back and have us all double marked.

Were it not for an illegal goal then the narrative would be of a hardworking Fulham proving they have steel and grit at an difficult Den, grinding their way to victory. The ability to dig in and keep these 1-0 leads against teams who play foot-in, ball over, bus parked football is something that we didn't use to have and would be complained about constantly on here, well we have it now, but unfortunately it was just a point today. That's football, but this is an argument for a VAR debate thread  :005: :005:

FFC1987

Hmm I disagree. Even if we won that game 1 nil with the stats we had, I think people would be happy with a win but question why we aren't creating chances.

Denver Fulham

We have one more goal this season than Blackburn, if you're wondering how badly Parker has underachieved with our attacking tactics.

When you're only good enough to win 1-0, sometimes you get a bad break and it ends up 1-1 (or 0-1).

Sgt Fulham

I think we're all just getting anxious now that we're in touching distance. We are looking for what we have been waiting for all season: the Fulham of our expectations to show up and take us up. We didn't play particularly badly, though we did lack a bit of creativity. I think Millwall played well, and we handled them well. They were there for the taking though second half, and it's so disheartening to see us miss opportunities like this.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on February 12, 2020, 10:02:52 PM
I think we're all just getting anxious now that we're in touching distance. We are looking for what we have been waiting for all season: the Fulham of our expectations to show up and take us up. We didn't play particularly badly, though we did lack a bit of creativity. I think Millwall played well, and we handled them well. They were there for the taking though second half, and it's so disheartening to see us miss opportunities like this.

Good post and agree. Its hard when you think if Leeds beat Bristol next week and we beat Barnsley, what effect that has when you look at both run ins.

Saying that, Leeds need to turn up and start performing and closing games off I suppose.

I'm now thinking a result like this, with our coming fixtures means we needed the breathing space on Brentford, but we'll see.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 12, 2020, 10:06:50 PM

Good post and agree. Its hard when you think if Leeds beat Bristol next week and we beat Barnsley, what effect that has when you look at both run ins.

Saying that, Leeds need to turn up and start performing and closing games off I suppose.

I'm now thinking a result like this, with our coming fixtures means we needed the breathing space on Brentford, but we'll see.

You are right, and that is exactly the problem with a result like this. For every draw here we have a game against a Brentford or a Bristol City in which we cannot slip up. Can we manage that? Certainly, but it does make it harder.

YankeeJim

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 12, 2020, 09:54:28 PM
Hmm I disagree. Even if we won that game 1 nil with the stats we had, I think people would be happy with a win but question why we aren't creating chances.

Despite the talent we have up front, we are not blessed with great pace and other than Reid, lack quickness. That and we waste opportunities by players  (Knockers, Bryan and Onamah) taking long range shots that make Bobby Zamora look great. Onamah with about 6-7 minutes left did so today when he had people trailing and God knows what Bryan was thinking in the last minute with that upper deck shot with other attackers available.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

70sPimlico

I try and avoid coming on here and complaining after a game. Lets be honest, we're all letting off steam. I nearly posted a message earlier about this exact point. I didn't but tonights game motivated me.

It's not that any player is playing badly but we're so utterly average and safe. TC is not playing badly. Far from it but he must be under orders to play safe first. Tonight, we had TC and Arter playing like, well, playing like Scott Parker.

I have no idea how we are 3rd in table. Games seem so scrappy. We are so easy to unsettle.

I dont get that feeling we are about to click. We are a slow team in play ad take the easy option. I just get the feeling that a 25% increase in positivity will make a huge difference. 25% quicker, 25% more forward thinking and just 25% more positive.

My hope is that Knockheart can continue his upturn of form when he comes back and Kongolo, who I have no real idea about, can add the missing link and just click this team into life

Fulham1959

Sting of the North

Some games you just feel after a while that this is not our day. This was such a game. We had a fairly positive spell beginning of second half, but no one really took responsibility to keep at it. Onomah tried, but often a little too much. Hector as well kept trying.

joef

I haven't changed my narrative in this team since October really. We are a little bit weak but capable of brilliance. We are still in the hunt and so we can keep believing.
I don't have the confidence in this team that I had in our promotion team but here we are into Feb with a shot which I feel slightly flatters our performances but still means we are there or there abouts. A point at Millwall is not the end of the world. We are still in it!

Mince n Tatties

How many teams that score in first couple of minutes, and then don't win game.
Surprisingly quite often.

The Rational Fan

If we play like we did today for the rest of the regular season, then we'll get 4-6 wins, 5-7 draws and 1-5 losses which is 74 to 81 points (i.e. playoffs). We'll need to improve significantly on today's performance to win the playoffs semi-final, and the playoff final will be against an in-form team.

Stevieboy

Seems to me we are over trying and concentrating on being precise and maintaining possession.
Remember "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take !"
I think the defence is now capable of mopping up the long balls so I would love to see a few more speculative shots, I seem to remember porky Lamps from down the road scoring many a deflected goal.
Mitro is quite capable of scrapping in the box for rebounds and miskicks.
Or maybe just getting to the byeline and fizzing them low and hard as at Reading earlier this season.
Hey ho....what do I know  094.gif

Dr Quinzel

The team didn't play as badly as some are saying? We had two shots on target. It was turgid.

With 10 mins to go it was Millwall who changed their formation, taking off a centre half to bring on a striker to try and win it.

The football just isn't enjoyable. I can't begin to fathom the downturn we have seen in Tom Cairney and the negative/nothing style and play other centre midfielders.

Playing not to lose when you've been given a team of players who are made to go out and win games shows a level of dysfunction between what TK wanted us to do and SP did.

I wouldn't say Millwall parked the bus either. They pressed us, and harried us up the pitch. Much of the first half after their goal was played in our half and or the middle of the pitch. It wasn't a game we saw so often under Slav where teams sat back allowing us to play around them without always penetrating - they were far more than that.

We finished the game time wasting and feigning injury. To not lose is and has been since he got the job, Parker's preference. It could cost us. We're already behind where I think most us and most on the outside would have anticipated.

WindyCity

Nice post, and I agree also.  I think this is who FFC is.  We have been all waiting and expecting much more from this club.  Both on defense and offense.  Now, to be fair, defense has been shored up and improved, in recent matches, with the presence of Hector being primary factor.  BUT, this offense has been terribly disappointing for most of this season.  A road point is always a good thing, but watching the second half and all the wasted buildup to creating chances leaves us feeling we missed a chance for the full three points and a rise to top two.  Keep waiting for offense to turn 'good', and it just ain't happening.....this is who FFC is and we wait to see if it's good enough for a promotion journey.

Woolly Mammoth

We have to step it up a gear, that I can agree on. It is a shame Hector could not play from the commencement of the season we could and probably would have more points on the board, and on a stronger position of battling it out for Top Spot, who knows.
However, we are where we are and we have another 42 points to play for to add to the 56 we already have.
We still have to play every other team in the top 7. They all will be fancying their chances of a top 6, and maybe 4 others behind them.
The challenge is there for SP and the players. We tend to play a more competitive match against better quality teams. So it's all in our hands to go up automatically, failing that it's the lottery of three play off matches.
The problem I feel when we have higher expectations, is the bigger the disappointment when our expectations are not met.
So let's relax and lower expectations and let Fulham win their own battles, that's all that counts, other results are completely out of our hands.
We've must knock over Barnsley on Saturday (sorry Cauley), and bag 3 gorgeous points to add to our total, and then move on to conquer Derby for another splendid maximum points.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.