watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

CDM role

Started by Spirit of 2000, February 13, 2020, 10:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 2000

Most of us started the season considering KMac as past it & unlikely to get much pitch time this season. Fast forward to February and he's an essential cog to how we set up. He was a massive miss last night and our midfield was poor generally as a result. Arter for me isn't very good, ok in the tackle and the odd long shot, positional sense not great, average passing, a red card in the waiting, his temperament is beyond poor. Also whilst he seems to run around a lot its often chasing shadows and not at a pace where hes likely to catch many. KMac has presence, leadership, positional sense, good passing range and an excellent football brain. He is also a proper CDM, whatever Arter is he doesn't suit that role. Harrison Reed does better in it but not the natural that Kev is at it. Yes he's slow and 31, no he may not be up to doing it in the premiership, but for the remainder of this season he's essential.

Milo

Don't understand why Arter goes ballistic every game. So un-necessary!

filham

Yes, KMc has to be the first name on the team sheet for Saturday.

WokingFFC

Quote from: Milo on February 13, 2020, 11:01:59 AM

I so agree and feel that this has a detrimental effect on the team - I feel that a cooler head is needed in that role, someone who can organise and lead, rather than rant and complain.

Buffalo76

0001.jpeg

That's it and that's all.

Jamie88

I have played with guys who need to act like that in order to get the best of of themselves. They try and get emotive to fire themselves up.
Never understood it myself and surely there are other ways to play well than to become a walking red card!

Artful Dodger

Not a coincidence that with Hector and KMac in the team, we suddenly stopped conceding as many goals. KMac has to start for me.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Logicalman

Quote from: Artful Dodger on February 13, 2020, 12:57:28 PM
Not a coincidence that with Hector and KMac in the team, we suddenly stopped conceding as many goals. KMac has to start for me.

.. at whose expense though? Timmy or Dennis?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on February 13, 2020, 10:57:50 AM
Most of us started the season considering KMac as past it & unlikely to get much pitch time this season. Fast forward to February and he's an essential cog to how we set up. He was a massive miss last night and our midfield was poor generally as a result. Arter for me isn't very good, ok in the tackle and the odd long shot, positional sense not great, average passing, a red card in the waiting, his temperament is beyond poor. Also whilst he seems to run around a lot its often chasing shadows and not at a pace where hes likely to catch many. KMac has presence, leadership, positional sense, good passing range and an excellent football brain. He is also a proper CDM, whatever Arter is he doesn't suit that role. Harrison Reed does better in it but not the natural that Kev is at it. Yes he's slow and 31, no he may not be up to doing it in the premiership, but for the remainder of this season he's essential.

Agree with this. Arter is a poor mans Sidwell. Decent player but definitely not an anchor man like McDonald. It is a role we'll need to invest in if we go up.

HV71

KMac should have played last night , and if necessary, rested for the home game against Barnsley. He was sorely missed last night and also Arter should be behinds  Stefjo in the pecking order

colinwhite

Totally agree with the OP . Arter is a decent player but has played too. little and not really up to speed. Kmac gives us a cool head and smart player with size. He will be back saturday.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: HV71 on February 13, 2020, 08:09:37 PM
KMac should have played last night , and if necessary, rested for the home game against Barnsley. He was sorely missed last night and also Arter should be behinds  Stefjo in the pecking order
Agree. I don't get why Stef is so underused. He's a good all rounder and offers more going forward.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on February 13, 2020, 10:11:17 PM

Agree. I don't get why Stef is so underused. He's a good all rounder and offers more going forward.

Stefjo is semi-rested now for probably the same injury he was rested by Norway in November and yet played for Fulham the same week. I hypothesized he probably has an overuse knee injury, which doesn't prevent him from playing but doesn't heal as fast the more minutes he plays. If Stefjo has an overuse injury, then save him for March, April, and May, then rest him for 3 months until September and he should be fine. Assuming my hypothesis is true that Stefjo has the same injury as Novac Djokovic (except on the knee instead of the elbow) in 2017 when he was 29-30yo, then the treatment worked for Djokovic should work for Stefjo too.

toshes mate

One of the main things I remember about the Jokanovic era was the composure that derived from the mantra to be brave, to learn to take risks with confidence, because practice makes perfect.  It gave us creative composure in abundance via the ability to read the game without ever losing that edginess necessary to prevent stalemate football.  All the midfielders of Jokanovic's Championship era knew their roles and played for each other. 

That midfield team ethic has largely been missing under Parker but it isn't necessarily an easy puzzle for him to crack.  Certainly I would have gone with McDonald, Johansen and Cairney from the start had they been fit and available, but Parker was entitled to look at fresh faces if he had a better plan.  Unfortunately for Parker he had problems on the flanks and in defence to add to the potential over complication of his puzzle solving plans.  The central midfield role was probably key all along but solving the problem wasn't easy because of so many other conflicting problems occurring to cause inconsistency.   I don't know what injuries or knocks players are carrying and so there may be other reasons why Parker has stuck with his 'plan' but it does make me wonder why he hasn't worked on a better solution than the ones he tried and failed with.  Jokanovic seemed to know about partnering players in a very nuanced manner something I don't believe Parker understands now or will understand in the future.  Players can be made to fit together like jigsaw pieces no matter how obscure the fit appears to be on first sight and I take that to be indicative of Jokanovic's personal bravery and courage in taking risks when seeking solutions.   

70sPimlico

Was going to post this as a topic but it is relevant here. I've made a few posts lately about my disappointment with Parker. It's not hate as someone strangely put, as I'd really like a different view on it. The CDM role is probably the best example of my problem with Parker. Which is ironic, considering his playing position. Or, maybe thats the reason.

Most of our players played a possession game under Slavisa. Its what we were known for. It made perfect sense to continue that. But, if you play a possession game, when the keeper has the ball, everyone should be involved. I'm up for a debate but in my opinion, Central Midfield is the most crucial position in a possession game. Not just one player, or two but a flexible mix of midfielders who drop deep and absolutely demand the ball. Not look slightly interested but stay near the centre circle being marked (ala TC) but drop and basically shout to the opposition "I'm dropping deep, follow me". If everyone knows what's going on (they do train) it will almost always create space.

We (were) playing a possession game, where our midfielders did and continue to hang about the middle 3rd and our defenders are too scared to risk passing to them. It ends up with us very rarely having any space is the final 3rd. It's absolutely shoddy to watch. I love the possession game, but you can't half do it and you cant do it badly. Currently, we do it badly. We keep possession but we don't make space.

Honestly, we'd be better off just launching into the corners or up to Mitro. Guess what, thats what we're doing.

We have (arguably) the best midfielder in the division who we should be utilising. Instead, we just ask him to loiter in the middle 3rd and just play simple safe balls. We're turning TC into Dickson Etuhu.

Kmac tends to drop deeper as its in his dna. Team looks better when he's on pitch. TC, Arter etc in my opinion are just being used wrongly. And now, we're going long ball.

And thats why I am going off Parker. But I dont hate him and I want him to do well and become a ffc legend

Matt10

I'm always weary of reading general comments made right after the match. In most cases it becomes an overall opinion versus a measured thought process of matches before, specific events in those matches, etc.

There's talk about how our midfield is lacking creativity, but yet we see some brilliant passing sequences, in particular the goal we scored vs Hudds when we literally moved the ball from the back, to the sides, and eventually a shallow showing to the ball from Reid, allowed Bryan to overlap, and Cairney to find him over the top - eventually slotting it to Mitro for the goal.

The pace we play at is different. Whether that is a good or bad thing is down to perception and preference. If you like Slav tactics, then you'll never like Parker's tactics. The role of our CDM is to anchor the wings and cover the CAM. We play extremely wide, utilizing our fullbacks as points in a triangle versus just overlapping on command. Our shape is essential, but unlike Slav's approach, we do not drop our other central midfielders as much because switching the point of play isn't a priority. This is because most defenses we are going to face have already positioned themselves within their own shape because we do not move our fullbacks and wingers off the ball as much. It is why we struggled against Millwall because they sat deeper, and wider with almost 5 at the back at times. This forced our wingers to show to more shallow, or cut inside, especially in the second half.

I can see why we wanted Cav to come on for Kamara, mainly because Kamara was hugging the right side the entire time, while Reid was everywhere on the pitch. I can also see why we traditionally want KMac versus Arter because KMac distributes the ball quicker, even if he does not cover as much of the pitch and is a bit less athletic. Personally, I think StefJo would be the best CDM because he does not need to anchor with the fullbacks as much, and he has the additional layer of playmaking via driven through pass or long passes that can stretch stubborn defenses. The only trouble with StefJo is he's very much left footed and his distribution could get one-sided, essentially avoiding playing off the triangle to the right back and right wing.