Author Topic: Manager next season  (Read 1606 times)

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
Manager next season
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
I'm sure some will complain that it's too soon to think about next season, but this is a discussion forum and I'm just proposing a hypothetical discussion.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the outcome of this season is that we continue on our current trajectory, finish on about 81 pts, so around 4th, then perform admirably in the play-offs but come unstuck against a better team or some bad luck. As it stands, that seems the most likely outcome to me.

IMO the target this season should have been about 89 pts, which is roughly the average for a 2nd placed team, and Parker has underperformed if we get any less than that.

However, whilst I'm often critical of Parker, in that scenario he'll have only slightly underachieved IMO, and given his inexperience there's a good chance he'll improve next season.

He'll also be familiar with the players, and have his own tactics largely in place, giving him an advantage over any new manager, not to mention that with our track record any new manager is going to be a gamble anyway.

So in that HYPOTHETICAL scenario would you stick with Parker for the 2020/21 season?

Offline colinwhite

• Jimmy Hill
Re: Manager next season
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
If we get to the play-offs and miss out,it will be a tough decision given the expectancy levels. But the khans knew he was inexperienced when they took him on so it would be logical to let him carry on for the reasons you stated  if we continue to improve,as we have done in the games since Reading. Ok it hasnt been great all the time but we have got the points. Not sure of my personal view ,depends who the replacement was going to be since we are being hypothetical !

Offline Spirit of 2000

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
Parkers remit was simple. Get promotion. Not have a good try at it. He's been given the tools and needs to deliver. If we go up you couldn't reasonably sack the guy but it wouldn't be the 1st manager to go if the club fall at the playoff hurdle.

Offline Milo

• Global Moderator
  • The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »
I think Parker will stay even in that scenario. I think they will just strengthen the squad and give him til the following Christmas.

Offline Artful Dodger

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:42:08 PM »
If we finish 3rd or 4th and solidly make the playoffs and lose then I don't see the point changing. There is never a guarantee of promotion so stick with Parker given he will know the players better and hopefully learnt from any mistakes. If we scrape in to the playoffs in 6th and then lose in the playoffs, there is a case for saying we underachieved and he may be in trouble....Ray Wilkins anyone??

Offline Jamie88

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
As much as I believe we should’ve had a better manager, I’m against the sacking culture of managers. The more time managers get the better the long term success usually is, providing the money and infrastructure is there

Offline Milo

• Global Moderator
  • The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
Although as ever, I would like to mention Slavisa again now his old AM is back at the club too! Old times sake..

Offline Logicalman

• Global Moderator
  • cebu
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
Almost every managers' remit is to get promotion, obviously barring those clubs that are perhaps newly promoted, but failing to get promoted should not be the yardstick used in a decision to sack a manager forthwith.

One poor result, or a poor decision (as we all saw last evening) can mean the difference between automatic promotion and playoffs, so, if we were to miss out on the automatic promotion places, by a point or two, does that mean he would have achieved the aim if not for that one poor decision? I'm not certain it does, any more than Leeds or WBA sacking their managers should either of them drop into the playoffs and not go through.

Personally, although I always hope for success, if we were to miss promotion this season then I believe we keep SP on, let him continue to improve (which I believe he has done throughout this current season) and build us a team that will gain promotion next season and have more than half a fighting chance of maintaining Prem status the season afterwards.

Offline filham

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »
You are right, much too early to think about next season, all kinds of things , good and bad, can happen before the end of this season.

Offline toshes mate

• Gentleman Jim
  • Vitam Impendere Vero
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »
I have set absolutely no target for Parker this season but I note that, before the season started, the Khans and he agreed automatic promotion was the target.   I have not argued for Parker to be given anything less than the whole season and I have absolutely no idea where he and his team will finish, but I do look for an upward trajectory in the things that matter in football that are much more subtle, even if less impressive, than sitting in third place, than position in table.  If we were third from bottom right now, with a midfield playing like a Jokanovic promotion chasing side and climbing up the table, then I’d be more optimistic about Parker’s longevity than I am as it stands.

Good managers and coaches can perform with average players and can get them to gel and exceed the sum of their parts.  Poor managers and coaches can reduce good players to mediocrity and fall well below the sum of their parts.  Parker was a midfielder as a player and yet his midfield has varied between very poor and very good not just game to game but within a game.   That lack of consistency impacts on everyone else too, defence and attack and outcomes.  IMO consistency has been far too absent from our performances, as has been clarity of roles for the midfielders used, for anyone to believe Parker has an automatic right to continue his role as manager.

It seems ages ago I said that regardless of whether Parker achieves promotion or not his position should come under scrutiny for the new season, just as I intimated that was what the Khans should have done with Jokanovic after Wembley.    Post season the owners evaluate what coaches and players did, who is still here, who is gone, who the manager would like have on their side and the budget required.   That is team work behind the scenes which also needs a midfield playing its part to specified roles.    I think FFC forgot about the need for teamwork across the board when TK became DOF with CK as his sidekick.   We need to get that back and fast and not be so quick to draw our conclusions about the staff at the Club.  Football is a team sport and not a game of who you like and who you don’t.   

Offline Allestree andy

• tjl
  • To the limit and beyond
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »
As much as I believe we should’ve had a better manager, I’m against the sacking culture of managers. The more time managers get the better the long term success usually is, providing the money and infrastructure is there

Just look at man utd and ferguson he was 1 game away from the sack and the rest is history as they say

Offline Ordar

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
Given the objective for the season was explicable stated as being promotion, I was baffled why they gave an inexperienced manager the job in the first place. I firmly believe that had we hired someone with even a shred of tactical nous we'd be top. We're currently where we are in the table due to having better players than the vast majority of the other teams, in particular Mitrovic.

What we have seen from Parker is dull, high risk football (which has cost us the majority of the goals we've conceded this year), where we create very little goalscoring chances, with zero plan B, and a team that seems unmotivated and/or confused for alot of the season. He clearly still doesnt know his best team, nor how to tactically set them up.

However as we are third people will still think he's doing an amazing job, whereas, given the unquestionable financial backing from the owner, and frankly a couple of very good transfer windows, the team is nowhere near playing up to the potential of the players.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Cliffy Dean
  • Not one step back.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
He should stay, I don’t like this culture of short term sacking managers it’s ludicrous, and he has the advantage of knowing the player's. Plus it’s too early to think about, all I am thinking about is Barnsley on Saturday, Happy Days. Being hypothetical is not any help, I am more concerned with our promotion push. Not jumping out of a hypothetical frying pan into a hypothetical fire.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:28:16 PM by Woolly Mammoth »

Offline Sir Alec of good Stock

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
We sacked Bobby Robson early in his managerial career and that was rather a big mistake.

Offline I Ronic

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
Personally I dont think we have a team and I include everyone when I say team, that's  strong enough to stay up if we went up. Loved to be proved wrong on that though.
However I'd stick with what we have and keep the squad changes as small as possible. I believe we will be stronger given another season in the Championship.

Offline bill taylors apprentice

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
I don't agree with some of Parkers decisions e.g. team selection, substitutions, tactics etc but we have more points after 32 games than Jokanovic's 2 full seasons in the Championship, 55 & 52.

The biggest error made this season, bigger than all the other mistakes added together, is not signing Hector at the start of the season,and I don't think we can blame the manager for that.

Offline Mickeyboro

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »
No evidence of a brain, footballing or otherwise. Get rid, we can do better.

Offline Sgt Fulham

• MAESTRO
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
I am not a fan of Parker. If we make the playoffs but dont win them I dont think he should be sacked. Him and the team are getting better as the season goes on, if marginally, and if we keep key players then I think we could go up comfortably next year. Big if. The thing is that I really dont enjoy watching us under Parker. I find our football dull and predictable. I gain very little excitement from our play apart from the 5% we turn on the brilliance. Another manager would be a gamble, so it would depend on who is available.

Offline hovewhite

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »
Shad will sack him !he's got form for over reaction!

Offline FFCFOREVER

• Graham Leggat
  • Its nice to be important but important to be nice.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
No evidence of a brain, footballing or otherwise. Get rid, we can do better.
Bit harsh that, but if we don't go up or come close to, then I think we need to look elsewhere. Parker's game management at times is questionable.