Author Topic: Manager next season  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Horsfield_No9

• Graham Leggat
Re: Manager next season
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
100% stick. A young coach playing modern football, learning and getting better all the time. We can't keep changing managers, we need some stability and to build an identity across all age groups as a club. We've seen much more experienced managers not do as well as Parker. His win percentage must be better than pretty much every manager since Roy?

The players love and trust him too. Think Mitro and TC would've stuck around for another manager? This is worth a lot in itself.

Lampard didn't get Derby promoted yet was rewarded with the Chelsea job where he is regarded at this point as doing a decent job. To the Parker Out brigade, careful what you wish for I say.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:48:01 PM by Horsfield_No9 »

Offline Twig

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
I would stick rather than twist.  Our recent track record when we have attracted bigger names as managers has been dismal.

To those who think Parker has "no evidence of a brain", not "even a shred of tactical nous" etc., I simply disagree.  Read his interview where he discussed the application of Hersey and Blanchard's situational leadership theory to football management and then tell me he's not thoughtful. 

Offline Jim©

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
Wow, there's a load of posts to disagree with on here; "His game management is questionable" actually I'd say the opposite. I believe we've dropped the fewest points from winning positions this season and closed out a whole load of games. "We've seen dull and high risk football". One or the other surely? I'd say the football's been inconsistent at worst.

I've seen a lot of pretty harsh stuff levelled at Parker this season yet he's had to deal with a fair bit; big injury crisis, relegation aftermath, another new squad, first season management for him, expectations, 3 sided ground (!) but yet we're still 3rd and level on points with Leeds.
For me he's doing a good job, not a great one, so stick please- continuity is good.

Offline Dr Quinzel

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
As much as I believe we should’ve had a better manager, I’m against the sacking culture of managers. The more time managers get the better the long term success usually is, providing the money and infrastructure is there

Just look at man utd and ferguson he was 1 game away from the sack and the rest is history as they say

I don't want to be too harsh, but I've heard this comparison before and it is ridiculous. Look at Alex Ferguson's pedigree and achievements before arriving in Manchester and you see the case for patience. Scott doesn't have any of this behind him at all.

Re next season, was it a two or three year deal the club gave Scott? I remember thinking that it pretty much matched the time we would have parachute payments, so he had the best possible situation but a thin leash if he failed.

Jim, three sided ground? Come on. Some of the other points you made there are valid as to his difficulties he's faced, but that one made me giggle. The point you make about 'still' being level on points with Leeds depends on your expectations from the start. For many, that is still failure.

Agree with Twig re thoughtfulness - he isn't thick. You can see ideas he has had, but often they don't always work and he seems slow in moving away from them. Case in point was last night - how many times did Hector try to drop the ball behind their left back for Kamara? Seven, maybe eight times? I don't think it came off more than once. Yet we continued with it into the second half still. So he's obviously studious and is finding things that he thinks will work and having the team implement them, but it doesn't seem that those ideas are always cutting the mustard as it were.

I'm stuck between not liking him (never did think it would work) and feeling like we aren't being successful, but also recognising that more change may not be good for the club and that Parker is a first time manager and may need a learning curve himself. I'm not sure Fulham needing promotion was a right time and right place appointment from the get go.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:33:52 PM by Dr Quinzel »

Offline MikeW

• Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
I think most of Statto's points are good.  If we don't get promo I worry we will lose momentum next season (and players).  I don't think Parker has the motivational qualities.  Let's be fair, with that bloody squad should they need motivating?  Ijust don't see him as a manager at any level.  More a coach.

Offline grandad

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
Parker is our future. I don't want us to get one of the journeymen managers or has been. Let Parker next season wherever we are.

Offline BestOfBrede

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 05:58:32 PM »
We sacked Bobby Robson early in his managerial career and that was rather a big mistake.
0001.jpeg
 :plus one:

Offline bobby01

• Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
The comments on Hector pinging the ball forward is either SP tactic or the impression I got last night , especially in the second half was Hector wasn’t passing to Cairney because every time he did Cairney was passing it back again, I think he was trying to get some momentum into the game. I cannot really remember any times Cairney got the ball he passed forwards, it seemed always backwards and sideways. The man has talent but seems only to show it when he has time on the ball, against teams that press him in his face like Millwall did last night he loses his effectiveness.
I really think the jury is still out on SP, the major area he needs to sort out is his middle 3, the chopping and changing has meant this is our weakest area when in reality it should be one of our strongest. I still do not think he knows his best 3 or where Cairney and Onomah best positions are.

Offline HV71

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »
I would stick - and give him another season to improve. The only exception would be if Mili’s dream could come true....

Offline sunburywhite

• cebu
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
Statto are you Nick Bateman in disguise

You want to get rid of a manger who in his first ever role in football has taken a tem which was in freefall 9 months ago into a team which is challenging for promotion

Fack knows what you are smoking

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
If we finish 3rd or 4th and solidly make the playoffs and lose then I don't see the point changing. There is never a guarantee of promotion so stick with Parker given he will know the players better and hopefully learnt from any mistakes. If we scrape in to the playoffs in 6th and then lose in the playoffs, there is a case for saying we underachieved and he may be in trouble....Ray Wilkins anyone??

Broadly my feelings also
I'd say less than 80 pts at the end of the season and I'd be inclined to take our chances on someone different

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:37 PM »

You want to get rid of a manger who in his first ever role in football has taken a tem which was in freefall 9 months ago into a team which is challenging for promotion

He has taken a team which was 2nd favourites for promotion 7 months ago and turned them into a team which is 4th favourites for promotion

Offline HV71

• Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:25 PM »
But Statto this isn’t a science - it’s a game played by human beings there are no certainties. You don’t shoot a horse that is favourite with the bookies if it comes in third .
I’m not his greatest fan but surely he is worth a chance - the memory of Ranieri is too raw . We should stick

Offline FFCFOREVER

• Graham Leggat
  • Its nice to be important but important to be nice.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:48 PM »

Where did Statto say he wants to 'get rid' of Parker? I thought it was all hypothetical.

Offline HV71

• Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Where did Statto say he wants to 'get rid' of Parker? I thought it was all hypothetical.

Here I think - arguable if you are a politician - but I am not

Broadly my feelings also
I'd say less than 80 pts at the end of the season and I'd be inclined to take our chances on someone different

Offline sunburywhite

• cebu
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »

Why not instead ask about how we can help Parker be an even better manager

Too many people on this board want to knock Parker one way or another

Instead try to remeber the sh1t we have had like Mad Felix

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
But Statto this isn’t a science - it’s a game played by human beings there are no certainties. You don’t shoot a horse that is favourite with the bookies if it comes in third .
I’m not his greatest fan but surely he is worth a chance - the memory of Ranieri is too raw . We should stick

I'm not saying he should be sacked if we come 3rd

And I recognise it's not an exact science (actually if it was, I'd say he should be sacked if we come anywhere below 1st)

I was just responding to another poster's statement that we were "in freefall 9 months ago" by pointing to another metric which, whilst not perfect, is a lot more objective and accurate
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:27:55 PM by Statto »

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:35 PM »
Why not instead ask about how we can help Parker be an even better manager

Well we certainly couldn't give him any better players than he's got currently

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »

Here I think - arguable if you are a politician - but I am not

Broadly my feelings also

Suggest you google the meaning of hypothetical
 1500.gif :doh:

Offline HV71

• Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 08:58:10 PM »
Fair enough Statto - I wasn’t truly to be argumentative- it was just the way the post appeared to me