watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 14/02/20...

Started by WhiteJC, February 13, 2020, 06:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

17 free agents still available to sign for Leeds United, Fulham, West Brom and their Championship rivals

Leeds proved to be busy in the January transfer market, getting three new faces through the door at Elland Road

As we approached the closing stages of the January transfer window last week, Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa issued a stern warning, insisting that the loan signing of Jean-Kevin Augustin would be the Whites' final move in the window.

He was not lying.

After bringing Augustin in from RB Leipzig last Monday - four days before the window closed for business - there was still talk of Bielsa strengthening his squad further before the bell, but Bielsa stuck to his word. His business was done.

But even though the transfer window has now closed for business, meaning clubs can no longer sign players on permanent basis' for transfer fees or on loan, clubs are still allowed to add free agents to their ranks, should they feel it necessary or spot someone who could be the ideal replacement for an injured player.

Players are eligible to be signed as long as they left their previous clubs before last Friday's transfer deadline.

Here are a host of players that are currently without a club and are available for Championship teams to snap up on a free-transfer.

Younousse Sankhare - Age: 30 - Position: Left wing - Released by: Bourdeaux (November 2019)

Ki Sung-Yueng - Age: 31 - Position: Centre-midfield - Released by: Newcastle United (January 2020)

Tom Carroll - Age: 27 - Position: Centre-midfield - Released by: Swansea City (January 2020)

Nemanja Nikolic - Age: 32 - Position: Striker - Released by: Chicago Fire (October 2019)

Vladimir Weiss - Age: 30 - Position: Winger - Released by: Al-Gharafa (December 2019)

Ivan Strinic - Age: 32 - Position: Left-back - Released by: AC Milan (August 2019)

Martin Olsson - Age: 31 - Position: Left-back - Released by: Swansea City (May 2019)

Ignazio Abate - Age: 33 - Position: Right-back - Released by: AC Milan (May 2019)

Cheik N'Doye - Age: 33 - Position: Midfielder - Released by: Birmingham City (May 2019)

Romain Alessandrini - Age: 30 - Position: Winger - Released by: LA Galaxy (January 2020)

Ross McCormack - Age: 33 - Position: Striker - Released by: Aston Villa (May 2019)

Vurnon Anita - Age: 30 - Position: Full-back - Released by: Leeds United (May 2019)

Diafra Sakho - Age: 30 - Position: Striker - Released by: Rennes (January 2020)

Ondrej Mazuch - Age: 30 - Position: Centre-back - Released by : Hull City (May 2019)

Sebastian Prodl - Age: 32 - Position: Centre-back - Released by: Watford (January 2020)

Yohan Croizet - Age: 27 - Position: Attacking midfield - Released by: Sporting Kansas City (September 2019)

Diogo Amado - Age: 30 - Position: Centre-midfield - Released by: Al-Gharafa (November 2019)

Benoit Poulain - Age: 32 - Position: Centre-back - Released by: Kayserispor (January 2020)

Ross Wallace - Age: 34 - Position: Right wing - Released by: Fleetwood Town (September 2019)

Giuseppe Rossi - Age: 33 - Position: Striker - Released by: Genoa (July 2018)

Jordon Mutch - Age: 28 - Position: Midfielder - Released by: Gyeongnam (July 2019)

Alan Hutton - Age: 35 - Position: Right-back - Released by: Aston Villa (July 2019)

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/free-agents-transfers-leeds-united-17685606

WhiteJC

Team News

Scott Parker revealed on Thursday the upsetting news that Terence Kongolo will not play again this season.

The on-loan defender picked up an injury moments after coming off the bench at Blackburn Rovers last week, something he will not recover from in time to feature again in 2019/20.

"Obviously we're absolutely devastated for Terence," Parker told FFCtv. "He's come in, a player which we liked and one we thought could bring something to the squad and to the team.

"I think I've said on numerous occasions that he probably gives us a different attribute to what we have in defence.

"It's just such a shame for him that in his second game he comes on and in his first action he damages his foot.

"He's going to be out for the remainder of the season, and he'll be missed. It's gutting."

That was the only real update on the medical front, although Parker is optimistic Anthony Knockaert could be back in contention for our meeting with Barnsley at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

"Harrison Reed is still in the treatment room at this present moment in time," he said. "Anthony Knockaert, who fell ill the day before the game against Millwall, I'm hoping will recover and be around it for the weekend. Everything else, is what it is."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/13/team-news

WhiteJC

Player to be sent back to Fulham in summer – Club looking for replacement already

Sabah claim Galatasaray are interested in signing Sivasspor midfielder Mert Hakan Yandas as they look to replace Jean Michael Seri in the next transfer window.

The Turkish side loaned Seri from Fulham last summer, but the Ivorian midfielder hasn't impressed during his time in Istanbul.

There were reports in the Turkish press that Gala were considering parting ways with the 28 year old during the last window, but he remained with the Super Lig club and is currently playing regular first-team football.

Seri was linked with a move to Lyon last month, yet ended up staying with the Turkish champions.

However, Sabah report they will definitely part ways with the Fulham owned player at the end of the season and could replace him with Yandas.

This season the former Nice midfielder has made 24 appearances in all competitions and scored one goal.

His contract with Fulham will expire at the end of June 2022, and it seems his future at Craven Cottage is uncertain.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-part-ways-fulham-player-summer-replacement-mind/

WhiteJC

Steve McClaren reveals Aleksandar Mitrovic / Joelinton theory – & it makes a lot of sense..

Steve McClaren believes Aleksandar Mitrovic and Joelinton suffered from the same problem at NUFC – feeling both were expected to do too much too soon after signing at St James' Park as inexperienced strikers.

Interestingly, the ex-NUFC boss also claims the Serbian was signed from Anderlecht back in 2015 to be our 'number two' – suggesting the club initially planned for him to learn from Papiss Cisse before he'd become a regular in McClaren's starting 11.

That said, injury issues meant he soon became the club's first choice striker – something Steve clearly felt was wrong given he was as an 'immature' 20-year-old at the time.

A few years on, McClaren believes we are having the same issue with Joelinton, feeling the Brazilian is struggling to cope with the pressure that comes with that 'big, big' number 9 shirt.

Here's what he's had to say about ex-Mag Mitrovic and current £40m forward Joelinton during an appearance on Sky Sports News yesterday:

"We signed him and he was a young player and we wanted him as the number two. Unfortunately, we got injuries and we had to put him as the number one. He was immature and wasn't ready for that. Hot-headed at the time. He got sent off. Discipline. He got frustrated and got down. And it's a different level.

"It's 52,000, you have to handle the pressure, and he was too young to do that. He went out on loan, I thought he would score goals, which he did. He came back and I thought he would carry on scoring goals. And, unfortunately, it wasn't for him and he moved on.

"Newcastle have done the same with Joelinton at this present moment. Another young player who is finding it difficult to establish himself at Newcastle. And maybe, that number nine at Newcastle is a big, big shirt to fill. Mitrovic, Joelinton, for young players it's difficult. Mitrovic suffered [at Newcastle] and has done tremendously well in the Championship."

I rarely agree with Steve McClaren, but he's spot on here.

Mitrovic needed time and a senior figure to learn from, and Joelinton is exactly the same.

I always said that Joelinton's arrival should've been followed by Rondon's. The Venezuelan is believed to have priced himself out of a move in the end, however the Brazilian desperately needs an experienced player to not only learn from but take the pressure off his shoulders when he's struggling for form.

Both are talented young strikers – and the Serbian is scoring goals for fun at Fulham – yet we're running the risk of ruining Joelinton's confidence and hanging him out to dry if he's not protected, making our decision to not sign another striker last month all the more baffling when Carroll and Gayle can't stay fit.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2020/02/13/steve-mcclaren-reveals-aleksandar-mitrovic-joelinton-theory-it-makes-a-lot-of-sense/

WhiteJC

Terence Kongolo: Fulham confirm Huddersfield loanee defender out for season

Terence Kongolo (left) made his penultimate appearance before injury in the FA Cup against Manchester City

Fulham have confirmed that on-loan Huddersfield Town defender Terence Kongolo will miss the remainder of the season with a foot injury.

Kongolo, 25, has made 13 appearances in all competitions so far this term, but picked up a knock against Blackburn earlier this month.

"He'll be missed, it's gutting," Fulham manager Scott Parker said.

Kongolo moved to Craven Cottage on a season-long loan in August but is under contract at Huddersfield until 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51488758

WhiteJC

Half Term Cottage Tours

Experience the rich history of London's original football club this February Half-Term with Craven Cottage Tours.

The tour, which commences by the Johnny Haynes Statue on Stevenage Road, takes you to all the key locations around the ground including the home and away dressing rooms, the press room, our new fan-inspired bar, The Flag – showcasing memorable moments from Fulham's past - as well as the historic Cottage itself!

For a full list of Craven Cottage Tour dates and times, please click here.

Upcoming Stadium Tour dates:

Wednesday 12th February - 2pm
Wednesday 19th February - 11am & 2pm
Thursday 20th February - 2pm
Friday 21st February - 11am & 2pm
Saturday 22nd February - 11am
Sunday 23rd February - 11am

Adults can secure their spot on the tour for £15, with juniors priced at £12 and under 5's free of charge. You can also take advantage of a special Family Package, with 2 adults and 2 kids just £45.

Fans can book their space online, by emailing [email protected] or by calling 0203 841 9053.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/13/half-term-cottage-tours

WhiteJC

Gerhard Struber confirms Barnsley trio will miss Fulham trip

Barnsley manager Gerhard Struber has revealed that defender Mads Andersen will be rested for his side's trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday afternoon, while midfielder Marcel Ritzmaier and goalkeeper Sami Radlinger will miss out once more through injury.

Andersen, who has made 29 league appearances for Barnsley this season, has come in for some criticism recently, following a string of costly errors that haven't helped his side as they battle to stay in the Championship this season.

That is something that appears to have been noticed by Struber, with the Austrian confirming in his pre-match press conference –  via BBC Sheffield reporter Andy Giddings – ahead of that clash with Scott Parker's promotion-chasers that Andersen will not feature at the weekend in order to give him a break.

As well as Andersen, Struber revealed his side will also yet again be without Radlinger and Ritzmaier due to injury when they take to the field at Craven Cottage.

Radlinger has missed the Tykes' last two games due to a muscle problem, while January signing Ritzmaier has not featured in any of his club's last four games due to a knee injury, and both will once again be absent on Saturday.

Barnsley go into that match with Fulham bottom of the Championship table, nine points adrift of safety having not won any of their last six games in all competitions.

The Verdict

This seems like it will have been a difficult call for Struber to make with regards to Andersen.

Usually, with the Dane struggling for form and confidence right now, it would look like a smart decision to take him out of the limelight for the time being, to prevent some of the risk of any more costly errors taking place.

However, the Tykes are rather short of numbers at the back at the minute, so it is hard to know who Struber will be able to turn to to replace Andersen, potentially leaving them vulnerable at the back anyway.

The continued absence of Ritzmaier and Radlinger will also be frustrating, as the Tykes will surely want a fully fit squad as soon as possible, in order to give them the best possible chance of survival.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/gerhard-struber-confirms-barnsley-trio-will-miss-fulham-trip/

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie: Social media companies' response to racist abuse 'useless'
Twitter tell Sky Sports News: "We take decisive and swift action on accounts that break our rules. Throughout this football season in the UK, we have suspended 200 accounts and taken action on nearly 4,000 examples of abuse and hateful content."

Cyrus Christie believes social media companies do not adequately deal with online racism

Fulham defender Cyrus Christie has described the support offered to him by social media companies as "useless" after revealing someone started an online poll to have him lynched following an own goal for the Republic of Ireland.

In August last year, the Fulham defender alleged his sister was hit and racially abused by a fan during their Sky Bet Championship match at Barnsley on the opening day of the new season.

And speaking to the Counter Attack Podcast, Christie recalled historical abuse he received on Twitter after scoring an own goal during the 5-1 play-off defeat by Denmark in Dublin, which ended Ireland's hopes of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

Christie has played 56 games for Fulham since moving from Middlesbrough in 2018

The 27-year-old believes people would be shocked if he detailed the specifics of all the abuse he receives - and highlighted the failure of social media giants to combat it.

"Twitter had got this whole thing about freedom of speech, but they need to kind of change some of their stuff on there because it is not good," said Christie, who revealed he turns notifications off and blocks abusers to try to avoid a constant stream of abuse.

"They (trolls) think they can get away with, they hide behind profiles. I have had so many cases on there, the racism and stuff, it is just mad, but when you speak to them, they are like 'oh well'."

Christie continued: "The club (Fulham) have a contact at Twitter and Facebook, so they speak to them and the police will have a connecting role.

"They are useless - they don't do anything. I've had so many things, but nothing gets done. I can understand why people don't pursue things, because you know that nothing is going to happen."

Twitter insists abusive and hateful content has no place on its service

A Twitter spokesperson told Sky Sports News the organisation has already taken action against thousands of accounts that have breached its user policy this during the course of this season.

"We have clear abusive behaviour and hateful conduct policies in place and we take enforcement of these policies very seriously," Twitter said in a statement.

"We take decisive and swift action on accounts that break our rules. Throughout this football season in the UK, we have suspended 200 accounts and taken action on nearly 4,000 examples of abuse and hateful content.

"We are continuing to proactively engage and collaborate with our valued partners in football to identify ways to tackle this issue collectively.

"We want to reiterate that abusive and hateful conduct has no place on our service and will continue to take swift action on the minority that try to undermine the conversation for the majority."

Christie recalled the incident after the Republic of Ireland's match against Denmark and the vile social media abuse which followed.

"It was clear as daylight, some of the stuff," Christie said. "I had one guy send me four black people hanging from a tree, and with 'you're next' - saying they are going to kill me. And there's a picture and names there, but...

"If I was to put out everything I got, people would be surprised. You say the odd thing now and again - I'll bring up the odd one - and people are like, 'rise above it" and 'why are you giving them airtime?'.

"I am trying to put it out there to show that this is what goes on.

Christie made his international debut back in 2014

"I had a thing with 15 posts on Instagram and five comments minimum were racist - 15 posts straight, and I am posting once a week on average so that is a couple of months.

"You can just understand why players just don't bother. They (social media companies) don't understand as well because they are not in that position.

"I had the whole thing (after the Denmark game) with a guy who done a petition to have me lynched. His name was there as well and they did nothing about it.

"I sat there for two hours trying to explain to them and they were like 'we don't understand how this could happen, I don't think people aren't that racist'."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11933188/cyrus-christie-social-media-companies-response-to-racist-abuse-useless

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen thinks Steven Gerrard 'great' at Rangers, gives Celtic title verdict

Steven Gerrard's Glasgow Rangers are 10 points behind Celtic.

Fulham central midfielder Stefan Johansen said on talkSPORT (10:35am, February 13, 2020) that Rangers manager Steven Gerrard has done a great job, but he has backed Celtic to win the Scottish Premiership title this season.

Rangers are as many as 10 points behind leaders and bitter Old Firm rivals Celtic, who have played a game more than the Gers.

The Hoops have won the league title in Scotland for the past eight seasons, and it looks like they will make it nine in a row this campaign.

Fulham central midfielder Johansen, who was on the books of Celtic from 2014 until 2016, believes that Gerrard has done a good job at Rangers, but he believes that his former club Celtic will clinch the title again this season.

Johansen said on talkSPORT (10:35am, February 13, 2020): "It's never over till it's over, but Celtic's quality, I think they are too good to slip now. I think it's going to be another trophy."

Johansen added: "I think Steven Gerrard has done a great job, but Celtic, over the last years, even before I was there as well, they keep working in the right direction and it's just a winning club.

"They are used to winning trophies, and I think it's going to be hard for Rangers to catch up with them again this year."

Title Celtic's to lose?

Even if Rangers win their game in hand, they will be seven points behind Celtic.

It is hard to see the Hoops drop too many points between now and the end of the season.

For Rangers to win the league this season, they have to win the Old Firm derbies against Celtic and cannot slip up against the other teams.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/13/stefan-johansen-thinks-steven-gerrard-great-at-rangers-gives-cel/

WhiteJC

Are Fulham Good Enough For Another Stint In The Premier League?

The English Premier League is one of the toughest in the world.

Apart from the usual top six sides that do not need mentioning, any other sides that replace any of these elite teams usually do so due to a bad season by one of these clubs. The remaining fourteen teams spend the majority of each season battling away to reach the 40-point target that normally ensures they remain in the top flight.

My prediction at the start of the season for the bottom six were:

15th Watford
16th Newcastle
17th Aston Villa
18th Brighton
19th Norwich
20th Sheff Utd

The biggest shock has been the excellent Sheff Utd, with Chris Wilder as boss. He should be named Manager of the Season. He has shown that you don't have to spend the most on buying players, it is more on how you organise your team and the commitment and work-rate of your squad. With 12 games left, his team are currently sitting in 5th position, above Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal. They have already reached 39 points, and even if disaster struck now, they should keep their place in the Premier League. Well done to you! If Chris can continue to motivate his players (he has obtained two promotions recently with Sheff Utd), there is little doubt that his team will keep their Premier League status.

Another manager that has been keeping a modest squad of players in the top division is Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. Yes, they are currently in 16th place, but I do believe Howe will get his battling team away from the relegation zone. This again is due to the organisation, team-work and commitment all his players show him every game.

The top six have the best players in the world to choose from, as well as the top managers. They can afford a luxury player or two that can go 90 minutes without doing diddly squat, then produce one moment of magic and score a winning goal. The rest of the teams cannot afford such a luxury. They need all eleven players pulling together and giving everything. Not all players are willing to give this level of effort. That is where most teams falter and find themselves in the relegation scrap.

Roy Hodgson (former Fulham manager who took them to a Europa League final) is one of the finest bosses at getting smaller clubs performing to the standards necessary to maintain EPL status. He has made Crystal Palace a formidable force in the top league, often getting points against many of the
top six.

So, back to Fulham and our current boss Scott Parker. We must remember Scotty is in his first full season as a manager and has played for some top sides. He has a good squad of players now at Fulham, which he didn't have when he took over a sinking ship last season in the Prem. He has brought out the best in some of our current squad. Rodak in goal and the recent excellent form of young Onomah have become apparent to all. With the inclusion of Hector as a centre back and the acquisition of Kongolo, the defence has at last, become stronger.

We now have a bigger and better squad of players that Scotty can rotate, which is necessary in the longer season in the Championship. The question is whether this selection of players could hack it back in the top-flight? Do many of them seem to have the full commitment and work attitude that Wilder can choose from?

If the answer is no, then you have to ask whether this would be the right season to be promoted?

Aston Villa stated that they would not replicate Fulham by over-spending in their return to the Premier League, but it is exactly what they have done. They stand one point above the bottom three, yet I think they made better signings than we did, and will just about have enough to avoid the drop.

I do believe that Scott Parker will make a good manager in the long run. Does he, however, have the strength of character needed to get his Fulham players giving 100% each and every game?

I have not seen it yet as a whole team. Individually we do have certain players that show this level. Goalkeepers excluded (as they always try their best), Harry Arter wears his heart on his sleeve. This is probably due to the fact that he played for Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. Denis Odoi always gives his best, and Knockaert is full of running. De Cordova Reid and Mitrovic are another two that are not lazy, and McDonald is reliable in midfield.

I am not saying the other players are not good enough. We have one of the most talented in the Championship in Tom Cairney, that on his day can be head and shoulders above anyone on the field. This is not evident in every game though. Hector has been excellent, and Cavaleiro can be unstoppable.

The major concern is how does Parker get them all to give 100% in each and every game?

Parker has been known to state that his players have not shown this level after some poor performances. Who is to blame? Is it Scott Parker as the manager, or should the players take the blame? Or maybe, we need to replace certain players with those who will give Fulham everything each time they step out onto the field of play?

Is Scott Parker the man to lead Fulham back into the Premier League and keep
us there?

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/are-fulham-good-enough-for-another-stint-in-the-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Kongolo out for the season

Fulham's promotion push has been dealt a huge blow with the news that defender Terence Kongolo will miss the rest of the season after picking up a foot injury in the win at Blackburn Rovers.

The Dutch international, who signed from Huddersfield on loan at the end of January, had only made two appearances for the Whites and was injured after coming off the bench at Ewood Park during Fulham's 1-0 win on Saturday.

Fulham boss Scott Parker didn't hide his disappointment:

Obviously we're absolutely devastated for Terence. He's come in, a player which we liked and one we thought could bring something to the squad and to the team. I think I've said on numerous occasions that he probably gives us a different attribute to what we have in defence.

It's just such a shame for him that in his second game he comes on and in his first action he damages his foot. He's going to be out for the remainder of the season, and he'll be missed. It's gutting.

Kongolo's injury means that Fulham are once again shorthanded in central defence at a crucial time in the season. Alfie Mawson is expected to be a long-term absentee after undergoing knee surgery, whilst Maxime Le Marchand is also sidelined by injury and that leaves Tim Ream, recent signing Michael Hector and Denis Odoi as Parker's only senior options at centre back.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/02/kongolo-out-for-the-season/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans have their say on Harry Arter's latest performance

Fulham midfielder Harry Arter lined up for the Cottagers at Millwall on Wednesday night, but his latest performance hasn't gone down well with some of the club's fans.

According to WhoScored.com, the 30-year-old was Fulham's worst performer on the evening, earning a performance rating of just 6/10. Arter was eventually substituted and replaced by Neeskens Kebano after picking up a yellow card approximately seven minutes prior.

Some fans have taken to social media to question Scott Parker's decision to select the Bournemouth loanee.

What do we think?

Harry Arter will remain with the Cottagers until the end of the season and there is an option to buy clause in his loan contract (via Transfermarkt.co.uk). However, it remains to be seen whether or not Fulham will exercise that right. There is a family connection between the midfielder and his boss Scott Parker – the former England international is married to Arter's sister but according to him, that doesn't mean he gets any special treatment from his boss.

These supporters don't believe Arter is good enough to start in the Fulham midfield and based on his performance at Millwall, they are perhaps within their rights to ask questions.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/02/twitter/fulham-fans-have-their-say-on-harry-arters-latest-performance/

WhiteJC

Gerhard Struber previews Fulham trip

Ahead of our trip to Fulham on Saturday, Gerhard Struber spoke of his belief that Barnsley can turn their season around and climb clear of the relegation zone.

It will be a tough task against Scott Parker's high-flying side, who can potentially move second in the Sky Bet Championship this weekend, but the Reds' Head Coach insists that his team can achieve a positive result in west London.

"I believe in my team and I believe that we can pick up points in the next game," said Struber. "I think, also, a very important thing for us is that the we only focus on us and our performance and not the table. When we look at the table, it's not so helpful now.

"We need a big focus in our next game and a big motivation; I don't think motivation is a problem for my team. When we have a good concentration, it's not easy to win points against us. I hope that we can create a good game and I trust my boys; on Saturday we have the next chance for three points.

"The pressure that we have is not easy – especially for young players, but this is the reality and we have to do it."

The Reds ran out 1-0 winners against Fulham on the opening day back in August thanks to Luke Thomas' first half strike.

A similar performance at Craven Cottage would provide a timely morale-boost for Barnsley, who still have 42 points to play for as they bid to close the gap to those above them.

"We need a run and we will fight for this run," continued Struber. "When we have good momentum, work hard and believe in this then I think, in the end, we will see. I hope and I believe that we can start the run when we have the right energy together."

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/february/struber-pre-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans discuss Kebano

Promotion hopefuls Fulham missed the opportunity to overtake Leeds United and move into second place in the Championship after they were held to a draw by Millwall at The Den.

Aleksandar Mitrovic put the Cottagers in front, but the hosts equalised almost immediately in controversial fashion, as Jon Dadi Bodvarsson appeared to be in an offside position when he scored for the Lions to level the match.

Scott Parker opted to leave Neeskens Kebano, who is valued at £2.7 million (as per Transfermarkt), out of the starting eleven and only introduced him with two minutes of normal time remaining. However, the 27-year-old came close to winning the game for his side as he saw his glancing header come crashing off the crossbar.

The impact the former Genk midfielder had has led to some fans questioning why he wasn't included from the start.

Having suffered an injustice earlier on in the game, these fans couldn't believe how unlucky the Congolese midfielder was in going so close to winning the game in the dying stages.

What do we think?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and therefore it feels harsh to criticise Scott Parker's team selection given Fulham were robbed of the three points due to some poor officiating. Kebano's season has been disrupted by injury, but the fans seem pleased to see him back and hopeful that he can make a telling contribution as they push for automatic promotion.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/02/twitter/fulham-fans-question-managers-decision-not-to-start-kebano/

WhiteJC

West Ham fans call for Scott Parker to return to the club as manager

West Ham fans have called for former midfielder and now Fulham boss Scott Parker to one day return to the club as manager.

The ex-West Ham midfielder's side are flying in the second tier, with Fulham sitting third in the table in the Championship.

Parker, who got the job last season after the sacking of former Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri, has steadied the ship at Fulham after they were relegated from the Premier League.

Parker made over 129 appearances for West Ham, and picked up the FWA Footballer of the Year award in 2011.

He would eventually depart for Tottenham Hotspur, before then making the switch to Fulham. Parker then retired with the Whites in June 2017, beginning his career in coaching.

With Fulham pushing for promotion back to the top flight, several West Ham fans have taken to Twitter to call for Parker to return to East London and take over in the future.

https://readwestham.com/2020/02/13/west-ham-fans-call-for-scott-parker-to-return-to-the-club-as-manager/

RaySmith

Quote from: whitejc on February 13, 2020, 11:54:47 PM
Cyrus Christie: Social media companies' response to racist abuse 'useless'
Twitter tell Sky Sports News: "We take decisive and swift action on accounts that break our rules. Throughout this football season in the UK, we have suspended 200 accounts and taken action on nearly 4,000 examples of abuse and hateful content."

Cyrus Christie believes social media companies do not adequately deal with online racism

Fulham defender Cyrus Christie has described the support offered to him by social media companies as "useless" after revealing someone started an online poll to have him lynched following an own goal for the Republic of Ireland.

In August last year, the Fulham defender alleged his sister was hit and racially abused by a fan during their Sky Bet Championship match at Barnsley on the opening day of the new season.

And speaking to the Counter Attack Podcast, Christie recalled historical abuse he received on Twitter after scoring an own goal during the 5-1 play-off defeat by Denmark in Dublin, which ended Ireland's hopes of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

Christie has played 56 games for Fulham since moving from Middlesbrough in 2018

The 27-year-old believes people would be shocked if he detailed the specifics of all the abuse he receives - and highlighted the failure of social media giants to combat it.

"Twitter had got this whole thing about freedom of speech, but they need to kind of change some of their stuff on there because it is not good," said Christie, who revealed he turns notifications off and blocks abusers to try to avoid a constant stream of abuse.

"They (trolls) think they can get away with, they hide behind profiles. I have had so many cases on there, the racism and stuff, it is just mad, but when you speak to them, they are like 'oh well'."

Christie continued: "The club (Fulham) have a contact at Twitter and Facebook, so they speak to them and the police will have a connecting role.

"They are useless - they don't do anything. I've had so many things, but nothing gets done. I can understand why people don't pursue things, because you know that nothing is going to happen."

Twitter insists abusive and hateful content has no place on its service

A Twitter spokesperson told Sky Sports News the organisation has already taken action against thousands of accounts that have breached its user policy this during the course of this season.

"We have clear abusive behaviour and hateful conduct policies in place and we take enforcement of these policies very seriously," Twitter said in a statement.

"We take decisive and swift action on accounts that break our rules. Throughout this football season in the UK, we have suspended 200 accounts and taken action on nearly 4,000 examples of abuse and hateful content.

"We are continuing to proactively engage and collaborate with our valued partners in football to identify ways to tackle this issue collectively.

"We want to reiterate that abusive and hateful conduct has no place on our service and will continue to take swift action on the minority that try to undermine the conversation for the majority."

Christie recalled the incident after the Republic of Ireland's match against Denmark and the vile social media abuse which followed.

"It was clear as daylight, some of the stuff," Christie said. "I had one guy send me four black people hanging from a tree, and with 'you're next' - saying they are going to kill me. And there's a picture and names there, but...

"If I was to put out everything I got, people would be surprised. You say the odd thing now and again - I'll bring up the odd one - and people are like, 'rise above it" and 'why are you giving them airtime?'.

"I am trying to put it out there to show that this is what goes on.

Christie made his international debut back in 2014

"I had a thing with 15 posts on Instagram and five comments minimum were racist - 15 posts straight, and I am posting once a week on average so that is a couple of months.

"You can just understand why players just don't bother. They (social media companies) don't understand as well because they are not in that position.

"I had the whole thing (after the Denmark game) with a guy who done a petition to have me lynched. His name was there as well and they did nothing about it.

"I sat there for two hours trying to explain to them and they were like 'we don't understand how this could happen, I don't think people aren't that racist'."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11933188/cyrus-christie-social-media-companies-response-to-racist-abuse-useless

Very sad to hear this.

Briliant song from another very successful black Irishman, who suffered racism in his life, Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzie-
https://youtu.be/wyQ-tScuzwM

WhiteJC

The Lowdown: Villa U23s

The Under-23s host Aston Villa on Friday night in the PL2 hoping to turn around a spell of six defeats on the bounce.
Form:

Fulham:

Having lost six games on the bounce in all competitions, scoring only three goals, Mark Pembridge and Colin Omogbehin will be looking for a route through an Aston Villa side that have conceded just 23 times.

Villa:

The visitors themselves have endured a tough period – losing four games on the spin. They lurk just outside the play-off places with a game in hand on Middlesbrough having lost to Midlands rivals West Brom last week.
Last Time Out:

An affair at Villa Park saw precious little goal mouth action with The Villains snatching all three points inside the final five minutes.
Tickets:

Tickets are available on reception. These are priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions and are free for all season ticket holders and members.
He Said:

Tyrese Francois is loving his time back on the pitch and wants to fight for the cause in the final part of the season.

"Since returning from injury I'm feeling great. The game on Friday will be my second 90 minutes since returning from injury. I'm excited to have a strong end to the season and help the team as much as possible. We need to remain positive as a group to turn results around and push to where we feel we deserve to be in the table."
FFCtv:

The game is available to be streamed on FFCtv to active subscription holders with Jamie Reid providing commentary.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/14/villa-pl2-preview