Started by f321ffc, February 14, 2020, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f321ffc

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Sir Alec of good Stock

The first of Jimmy's goals that I can remember seeing:
https://youtu.be/_ObrFSVMllE
What a player and what a forward line with Steve Earle and a bit later John Mitchell.
A very sad day for all Fulham supporters but particularly those of us who were lucky enough to see him play with so much pride and class.

res

Quote from: f321ffc on February 14, 2020, 03:32:38 PM
A great servant to the club RIP

I didn't realise he had passed on, although I knew he was very ill. As you say, a great servant to the club, as well as being one of the star players in the Fulham football playing teams in the '70s...Barrett on the left, Conway on the right, Earle and Halom in the middle. Played in the 1975 Cup Final although not fully fit...mixed with the celebratory crowd (despite the defeat) outside the Cottage on the Sunday after Cup Final day, talking to supporters about the game and showing them his medal. A great player and a "gentleman"...an example to others.

Fernhurst

Oh dear, this news has taken the wind right out of my sails.  Poor Jimmy loved by all Fulham who witnessed his exceptional performances for us.
Will be missed forever Jimmy, Rest in Peace and deepest condolences to all family and friends.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Very very sad news. I have so many good and fond memories of Jimmy. I also saw his first goal for us. RIP Jimmy.

When one hears of someone passing away who you never met but tears well....

A front 4 of Jimmy, Allan Clarke, Steve Earle and Les Barrett in the '60's was one I have never forgotten.   

Bill2

I Ronic

Quote from: bog on February 14, 2020, 03:52:43 PM
Very very sad news. I have so many good and fond memories of Jimmy. I also saw his first goal for us. RIP Jimmy.

When one hears of someone passing away who you never met but tears well....

A front 4 of Jimmy, Allan Clarke, Steve Earle and Les Barrett in the '60's was one I have never forgotten.

I used to think Jimmy Conway was the fastest thing on two legs when I was a kid.
RIP the Great Jimmy Conway.

Ronnief

Great picture of him on the offal now. The back ground is of the open riverside with Allan Clarke. I always loved watching Jimmy and Les Barrett. I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy, he was such a nice man. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

e4b

Abbotsbury White

Very sad news indeed, Jimmy was one of my early heroes,a great tricky winger, RIP Jimmy and thanks for the memories.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Dodgin

Jimmy Conway how the fans loved him. I feel lucky to haved watched his Fulham career. A sad day for his family and friends. RIP Jimmy Conway. Fulham Legend.

filham

Sad to hear that Jimmy has left us, he gave a lot of us a lot of pleasure over the years.
That attack of Conway, Earl, Barret was among our best each player full of silky skills and capable of beating opponents.

SP

Burt

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/14/jimmy-conway-obituary-1946-2020

Friday 14 February 2020 14:56

Everyone at Fulham was saddened to learn of Jimmy Conway's passing at the age of 73.

The Whites legend had been battling dementia for more than a decade, and passed away in Oregon earlier today.

The eldest of 12 children, Jimmy was born in Dublin and made his professional debut for Bohemians before joining Fulham as a 19-year-old in May 1966 for a fee of £12,000.

A versatile player, he made his debut as half-back in a League Cup meeting with Wolverhampton Wanderers, and capped it with a fine goal in a 5-0 victory at Craven Cottage.

He would go on to spend 10 years in South-West London, playing alongside the likes of George Cohen, Bobby Robson, Steve Earle, Graham Leggat, Les Barrett, Alan Mullery, Les Strong and Johnny Haynes, to name a few.

Jimmy's first two seasons with Fulham were spent in the top flight, but the Club suffered successive relegations after that. He stuck with the Club, though, and scored eight times in 29 appearances during our 1970/71 promotion campaign.

His most prolific spell came in 1969/70 when he was shifted to the right wing, ending up as top scorer with 23 goals in all competitions, while he also got the chance to play alongside his brother John, who joined the Whites in 1971.

In 1975, Jimmy featured in 10 of our record-breaking 12 FA Cup matches, including the Final at Wembley.

His last match was a goalless draw with Plymouth Argyle at the Cottage, and he departed having scored 76 goals in 360 games.

Due to his decade-long spell in SW6, Jimmy was offered a testimonial, but turned it down as he felt that the Fulham supporters had given up enough of their money keeping him in a job over the years.

Jimmy moved to Manchester City for £40,000 and was part of the side that missed out on the Division One title by a point.

After a brief stay at Maine Road, an opportunity presented itself to join the Portland Timbers, the club where Jimmy ended his career – one which also saw him win 19 caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Jimmy enjoyed the United States so much that he never moved back to the UK or Ireland.

Our thoughts are with Jimmy's wife Noeleen, children Paul, Laura and Mark, and his considerable family and friends at this tragic time.

South Coast White

My first experience of professional football was at the cottage as young boy. I can remember being inpressed by his skill and pace.
The song has stayed with me always. NEVER FORGET.

brightster

So sad, Was one of my favourite players, very speedy winger, no beating defenders 3 or 4 times before crossing or cutting in, very direct, first saw him on my first visit back in 73. RIP Jimmy a true legend of Fulham.
We've got Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy, jimmy Conway, Jimmy Conway on the wing, Jimmy, jimmy Conway, Jimmy Conway on the wing!

Russianrob

ffc73

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy Conway on the wing, on the wing
O Jiiiimeee, Jiiiimeee Conway, Jimmy Conway on the wing

As a 7-year old taken to the Cottage by my Dad and uncle for the first time in 1973 it was Jimmy on the right and Les on the left that were my first Fulham hero's.  RIP Jimmy.  Dad and uncle David will be pleased to see you upstairs for a chin wag.

Jims Dentist

RIP Jimmy.
When moved to right wing ( and before the cruel injury ) you were probably in the top three most exciting players I have seen for Fulham.