watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Man City banned from Champions League

Started by Milo, February 14, 2020, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Manchester City have been banned from European club competition in 2020/21 and 2021/22 after being found to have committed "serious breaches" of Uefa's club licensing and financial fair play regulations.

The reigning Premier League champions have also been fined 30m euros (£25m).

The decision is subject to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Manchester City say they are "disappointed but not surprised" by the "prejudicial" decision and will appeal.

They added in a statement: "The club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

"In December 2018, the Uefa chief investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun.

"The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked Uefa process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The club has formally complained to the Uefa disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by Uefa, prosecuted by Uefa and judged by Uefa. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

Barrett487

I sincerely hope that the FoF faithful don't just take the 'slagging off' attitude, because this could happen to any team (with sh*tloads of money)

The argument can always be made that the FFP rule is there to protect the more vulnerable, gambling teams. Rich teams may well spout that they're not at risk... as we can while we are owned by our current owners, but a sequence of events can change that.

Sgt Fulham

Right, and PSG can just throw £200m on one player and not get the same punishment? UEFA are the same losers that do nothing about racism in the modern game. They can go to hell.

Carborundum

Not going to slag anyone off.  But mildly curious whether this means that the fifth place finisher (currently Sheffield United) will get the place.  Would certainly give Manchester United plenty to play for in the remainder of the season.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Pep will be off then.

Pretty much see City being a very average mid table team in a few years.

Twig

I wonder whether their Arab owners will sell up?

I do think they deserve punishment as it has been obvious that in recent years they have been cocking a snook at the FFP regs.  However I am left speechless as to how PSG escaped punishment.

And yes, UEFA have been utterly toothless in addressing racism but it has zero to do with the OP.

Stevieboy

I still don't really understand the FFP model but from what I gather money coming in, player values and wages all come into the picture.
So, does this mean they may need to sell off players to bring themselves into line ??

Statto

I don't know the intricacies of this and Man City may well have broken the rules but I've zero confidence in UEFA to treat an English club the same way it treats PSG and Barcelona

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Twig on February 14, 2020, 10:08:48 PM
I wonder whether their Arab owners will sell up?

I do think they deserve punishment as it has been obvious that in recent years they have been cocking a snook at the FFP regs.  However I am left speechless as to how PSG escaped punishment.

And yes, UEFA have been utterly toothless in addressing racism but it has zero to do with the OP.

It just shows that they are cowardly and inept. I hope City win the tournament this year and make a gesture. I don't think they will be allowed to though. Decisions will start to go against them as they progress I suspect.

bog

Real Madrid have been subsidised by the Spanish government for years, do they check their books? And as has been said how do PSG get away with paying £200m for one player?

092.gif 

Fulhamfan666

Oh my this is amazing!! Hopefully they get relegated to League 2 like reports are suggesting.

Plodder

Whilst the FFP rules may be well intended, they are so complex that I suspect their application is capricious. Other European teams are mentioned above, but looking at the net expenditure of some Premier League teams in recent years, I find it hard to believe that Man City are the only club in England doing something which warrants scrutiny.

St Eve

I am sure they are not the only ones but what a bunch of morons to expose themselves like that. They will probably lose their manager and hundreds of millions due to greed. No sympathy here

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Fulhamfan666 on February 15, 2020, 10:57:30 AM
Oh my this is amazing!! Hopefully they get relegated to League 2 like reports are suggesting.

Great, and ruin the competitiveness of the leagues as they rise back up.

Wolf

FFP can go to hell. Protectionism by and for those at the top
Hates: the Hounslow maggots