more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 21/02/20...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2020, 09:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Irish teen signs first professional contract with Fulham
Ollie O'Neill has been integral to the club's U18 side this season.

IRISH TEENAGER OLLIE O'Neill has signed his first professional contract with Fulham.

O'Neill, who has been integral to the club's U18 side this season, made 12 appearances in all competitions as well as hitting four goals. The Republic of Ireland youth international previously signed his scholarship at the start of the campaign.

"I'm very happy to sign here," O'Neil began after putting pen to paper for the Championship side along with his team-mate Jonathan Page.

"It's something I've looked forward to and now that I've signed, I want to kick-on into the U23s squad and hopefully the first team in the future.

"The last few years at U15 and 16 were tough with injuries but as soon as I've been getting into a rhythm of regular game time this season, this moment didn't seem too far away."

https://www.the42.ie/ollie-oneill-signs-professional-contract-with-fulham-5015900-Feb2020/

WhiteJC

2 selection tweaks Parker may be mulling over for Fulham this weekend

Fulham travel to Derby County in the Championship tomorrow.

Scott Parker needs nothing less than a win at Pride Park. After so much hard-work and good performances through December and January, Fulham had managed to get back on level points with Leeds United in 2nd.

But that gap has now reopened after last week's defeat to bottom-club Barnsley. Fulham were thumped 3-0 by the Tykes, whilst Leeds claimed a 1-0 win over Bristol City.

Another loss will put huge pressure on Parker, and here's two selection changes that he may be considering for tomorrow's fixture:

Josh Onomah out – Stefan Johansen in
The 22-year-old Onomah has been a favourite of Parker's this season. He's gradually become a regular member of the first-team and has now played 23 times in the Championship this season.

He's only missed one of the last 18 for Fulham and has started the majority of those, but his performance last week received a lot of criticism from fans.

Though he's a powerful, box-to-box type midfielder, he's still young and relatively inexperienced – going into what's become a higher-pressure game, a better option may be Stefan Johansen. The Norway international was an unsung hero for Fulham earlier in the campaign and fans would likely welcome him back into the starting side.

Johansen was himself a regular starter for Fulham in the first-half of the season but has seen his place go to Onomah, and hasn't started a league game since New Year's Day. He's a good passer of the ball but he's not as physical a midfielder as Onomah, so it'll be one for Parker to mull over before tomorrow night

Knockaert out – Reid in
Either Anthony Knockaert or Ivan Cavaleiro could lose their starting spot to Bobby Reid at Derby, but with Cavaleiro now being a permanent figure, Knockaert will likely be dropped to the bench.

Fulham's front-three were as bad as they have been all season against Barnsley and Knockaert once again gave an uninspiring performance. He'd recently returned from injury though, and with Cavaleiro playing a lot of football since New Year, it could in fact be him that sits this one out.

But Cavaleiro remains the more likely to score a goal, and Reid, despite going through some mis-firing form himself has proven more prolific than Knockaert this season. An experienced pro at this level though, as are all three mentioned above, Knockaert might have been 'warming up' against Barnsley after a couple of weeks out and could well deliver tomorrow night.

Fans would love to see a performance from him – he's a player with proven Championship experience with two promotions from this league, but the 28-year-old seems to be on a steady decline.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-selection-tweaks-parker-may-be-mulling-over-for-fulham-this-weekend/

WhiteJC

Fulham team news: Four Cottagers set to miss Derby clash

Championship promotion hopefuls Fulham will face Derby County in a much-anticipated clash at the Pride Park Stadium on Friday night, hoping to put down a marker to other sides in the top six.

The visitors will come into the match relatively high on confidence as they are very much in the running for a return to the Premier League.

Fulham are in third position in the Championship with 56 points after 33 matches, just three points behind second-placed Leeds United.

The Cottagers' recent form in the league competition has been positive, where the London club have secured five wins in their last 10 matches, which included just two defeats and three draws.

On the team news front, as per Squawka, Fulham will be without at least four players – Alfie Mawson, Terence Kongolo, Maxime Le Marchand and Harrison Reed – for the game against the Rams.

Fulham's record against Derby is quite decent as well as they have secured eight wins compared to just five defeats in 20 meetings.

In the previous two meetings, the Cottagers emerged victorious on each occasion with the scores of 3-0 and 2-0.

Their previous visit to Pride Park was in 2018 when they managed to secure three points with a 2-1 victory, courtesy of goals from star striker Aleksandar Mitrović and Ryan Sessegnon.

Fulham will know that a win against Derby would draw them level with Leeds ahead of Marcelo Bielsa's men hosting Reading on Saturday.

Bouncing straight back up to the Premier League at the first time of asking would be impressive by the Cottagers, but the London side will be keen to complete the feat by finishing in the top two – and not have to go through the gauntlet of the playoffs.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-team-news-four-cottagers-set-to-miss-derby-clash/

WhiteJC

'It relaxes me, but also it teaches you to anticipate, to think - as a striker, that is everything': Aleksandar Mitrovic is the king of Craven Cottage who likes nothing more than a game of chess

Aleksandar Mitrovic believes playing chess has helped him score goals this year
    The 25-year-old has plundered 29 goals for club and country so far this season
    The Serbian has learned to control his temper after an unruly spell at Newcastle
    Fulham boss Scott Parker says 'Mitro' has become a leader at Craven Cottage

Aleksandar Mitrovic is thinking of a secret, challenged to reveal something about him we don't know.

He told Sportsmail several years ago of a childhood regret, when he threw rocks at a train and smashed the driver's window. The anecdote captured all we thought we knew about the Serb. A loose cannon. A hothead.

This, then, is a surprise.

'I love to play chess,' Mitrovic says. 'My father was a champion, one of the best in the country.'

Aleksandar Mitrovic speaks to Sportsmail at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground

He pretends to move chess pieces in front of him while looking over his shoulder.

'This was my father, he could play without even looking. He had a thick book with all the combinations. He knew every move.

'I have never even played him, he is too good!'

Mitrovic the boy preferred footballs and rocks — which doubled as artillery and goalposts — as opposed to knights and bishops.

Now, at 25, he gets his kicks throwing moves on a chequered board.

'I play most nights before I go to bed, with my wife or online. I love it. Just you and your mind, trying to predict things to win the game, to see how it is going to play.

The 25-year-old celebrates scoring the decisive goal in Fulham's 1-0 win at Blackburn

I can play with you now and we don't need to talk, we talk on the board. I try to read you, see what you're going to do.'

Mitrovic is enjoying his best ever season with 29 goals for Fulham and Serbia. He is also the Championship's top scorer. Has the chess helped?

'It really relaxes me, but also it teaches you to anticipate, to think. As a striker, that is everything.'

There is a serenity about Mitrovic now that you would never have imagined when he was sent off 16 minutes into his first home start for Newcastle in 2015.

Does he even remember his last red card?

'I don't. It must be at Newcastle?'

Correct. On the final day of the 2015-16 season as they were relegated.

The forward says playing chess has helped him find his best form in front of goal for Fulham

So I've only been sent off once since I had children?'

Again, correct.

'You see, it's calmed me, I've matured. When I came to Newcastle, I was just a boy.'

Mitrovic's screensaver is of his young family. Earlier, his three-year-old son, Luka, was playing on the pitches here at Fulham's training ground. He also has a daughter, two-year-old Nada.

'Having a girl has made me a bit softer! But she is tough. If she doesn't get what she wants, she'll punch or kick to let you know!

'I think she got my aggression...'

Mitrovic is happy. The last time we sat down, in 2017, he was not.

The Serbian has shown mental strength to bounce back from a challenging spell at Newcastle

I remember,' he says. 'We sat on the hotel steps? In Dublin?'

That was at Newcastle's pre-season training camp and, even then, he knew Rafa Benitez did not rate him. He finished that campaign on loan at Fulham, firing them to the Premier League before making a permanent move for an initial fee of £22million.

'If you feel down, get up. This is what life is about. My father taught me, 'After rain, the sun always comes out'.

'I had a real rainy period at Newcastle. Now, it's really sunny. But when it's going well, this is the time to push even harder.'

During our previous interview, Mitrovic revealed a technique for controlling his temper. It was as simple as counting to 10. He was, at the time, able to make six, seven at a push.

'I think now I can get to eight, sometimes nine. I don't think I will ever be on 10!'

Nor does he want to be. After all, the terrace chant 'Mitro's on fire, your defence is terrified' is not sung in appreciation of a mild-mannered frontman. And that edge of his is apparent when we talk of his worth.

Mitrovic scores his 21st goal of the Championship campaign in Fulham's 1-1 draw at Millwall

Sasa Curcic — his friend and fellow Serb, once of Aston Villa and Crystal Palace — told us last year that Mitrovic was a £50m striker who should be playing for one of Europe's top clubs. Mitrovic laughs, but does not disagree.

'I hope I'm worth more! You see now, every player who scores two goals is worth £50m! So why not? I have 21 goals.'

I remind him they are goals he has scored in the Championship. Can he cut it in the Premier League?

'People forget I have a good record in the Premier League — 21 goals over two seasons in teams that were relegated is not easy.

'There will always be people with negativity. I don't listen. I have my goals, that is how I will prove myself. It's why I play football.

'I don't enjoy passing, running, fighting... goals are my obsession. Only strikers understand that.'

Fulham boss Scott Parker spoke recently of Mitrovic's leadership qualities, and you can see that respect in the eyes of the academy players who file by us.

Scott Parker believes the club's academy players look up to the example set by Mitrovic

'I can feel everybody looking at me, the way I train, the way I play. They expect me to make things happen. It's a new experience for me. When I came to Newcastle I was very young. The period I needed to settle in... I didn't have one. I was expected to play straight away and score goals, like Papiss Cisse did a few years before.

'I will always love Newcastle, but that was a big problem for me.'

There are some on Tyneside who sympathise and wish he was still in their colours.

Now he stars in the black and white of Fulham, third in the Championship and three points behind Leeds, who they will go level with if they beat Derby on Friday night.

'We can smell second position,' says Mitrovic, in what sounds like a warning.

Mitrovic hopes to continue his fine form in a Serbia shirt during the Euro 2020 play-offs

He agrees the next few months will shape his future, be that Fulham's quest for the Premier League or Serbia's Euro 2020 ambitions. They face Norway in their play-off semi-final next month.

Alongside him will be best friend and Palace midfielder Luka Milivojevic, the penalty king. Mitrovic reveals another secret. It was while playing for Serbia in 2018 that he infamously chipped a Panenka penalty over the crossbar, much to the internet's amusement.

'Luka told me, 'You have to try that one day'. He promises he will too — I'm still waiting!

'It looks really bad, I know, but I can tell you, it was a really windy day! So let's blame that...'

While that was one miscalculation, Mitrovic has barely made a wrong move all season.

Maybe Fulham could swap their tactics board for a chess board.

Mitrovic is pictured wearing WALK London's 'Kilburn Trainer' from their new collection. WALK London are Fulham FC's official footwear partner. Visit www.walklondonshoes.com

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8026285/Aleksandar-Mitrovic-king-Craven-Cottage-likes-game-chess.html

WhiteJC

Striker issues rally cry ahead of Derby County's clash with Fulham

The Rams will tonight aim to move into the top half of the Championship for the first time in three months

Derby County will tonight aim to move into the top half of the Championship for the first time in three months.

A draw or a victory over Fulham at Pride Park Stadium would lift the Rams above Sheffield Wednesday and into 12th position.

The Rams are currently nine points adrift of the top six with 13 league games remaining and striker Martyn Waghorn says it is important to be positive and optimistic.

"If we pick up the three points it leaves us in a good position. Win two or three games on the bounce in this league and you can shoot up the table," said Waghorn.

"We need to win on Friday. We need to go in with a positive mindset because our record at home is very good and we need to use that because Fulham are a good side.

"They want to be pushing for automatic promotion, but we know they are coming off the back of a difficult result for them (a 3-0 defeat by Barnsley), so they are going to be right at it.  We need to be ready for that.

"It is going to be a good game, but we back ourselves at home against anybody."

Asked if he thinks Derby can still make the play-offs, Waghorn said: "It is going to be difficult. There are six, seven, eight teams all thinking they have a good chance.

"We need to focus on one game at a time. I know it is a cliche, but Friday is the most important one because it is a team (Fulham) above us, and an opportunity to step closer.

"We need to be optimistic because we are Derby County, we need to be looking forward. This is why I came here. We are a top-six side who should be pushing for promotion.

"Where we are is not where we want to be, it doesn't reflect who we are as a team, so we need to be looking up."

Derby have won 11, drawn 11 and lost 11 of their 33 league fixtures - highlighting the inconsistency that has blighted them this season.

"Inconsistency has kind of been the story of our season," said Waghorn.

"We put a couple of good results together and then have a blip. We went on a run (seven unbeaten) and then lost away to Luton when worse case you come out of the game with a draw. You go for a win, obviously, but a draw would have kept the positive results going. It is all about consistency."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-martyn-waghorn-fulham-3870579

WhiteJC

3 times that Scott Parker has proved his worth to Fulham this season

Scott Parker has received mixed reviews from Fulham fans all season.

'With the players he's got, Fulham should already be promoted', and 'it's his first season, give him time', are the contrasting arguments surrounding Parker's maiden full season in football management.

The ex-England midfielder was handed a two-year contract after an inspired fight against relegation lasts season, and looked set for an immediate return to the top-flight after a positive summer of arrivals, and the all-important feat of retaining Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Fulham were at their best this season through December and January where they'd somehow managed to close what was an 11-point gap to 2nd-place Leeds United.

But that gap has since re-opened after a 3-0 defeat to bottom-club Barnsley last weekend, and Parker's whole tenure has inevitably boiled down to that one defeat.

Embarrassing as it was, Parker still has Fulham in contention for a Premier League return. Here we take a look at three times this season that Parker has proved his worth to Fulham:

November form
After opening the month with a 3-0 defeat at home to Hull City, Fulham showed great character to come back and win their remaining four that month, claiming wins over Birmingham, QPR, Derby and Swansea.

That month, Fulham looked every bit a promotion-winning team. They looked to be finally grasping the possession game that Parker's been so persistent with, and at times this season they've been a real joy to watch.

Results though have been their downfall. For all their possession and shots on target, Fulham too often can't find ways through games that they should be winning.

January transfer window
Fulham had an impressive summer window, but their January window was just as – they sealed the permanent signings of Ivan Cavaleiro and Bobby Reid, and also brought in Terrence Kongolo on-loan, who's since been ruled out for the remainder of the season, Jordan Archer and Michael Hector.

The last signing, in particular, has proved a hit, and the quality to the signings shows that Parker recognises his squad needs bolstering, and he's working hard to do just that.

Fulham to their credit have been ambitious in the last few transfer windows, but how much Parker has control over that is debated. He may well have drawn up a list of targets and got the board to sign them, if that's the case, then his recruitment has been excellent.

Win at Blackburn
It'll go down as a bog-standard away win, but it's a special one because it was the weekend that Fulham closed the gap on Leeds. Blackburn had only lost one of their 15 previous games at Ewood Park, but Fulham in some tough weather conditions put in an almost-perfect away performance.

They went level on points with Leeds, something which a month prior seemed impossible. That is a feat on its own and Parker deserves much more praise than he's received for keeping his players confident, and not losing focus on the top-two.

Fulham let themselves down last weekend, but there's still plenty of points to play for, and Parker could yet deliver Premier League football to Craven Cottage.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-times-that-scott-parker-has-proved-his-worth-to-fulham-this-season/

WhiteJC

Edworthy Hails In-Form Lawrence Ahead Of Fulham Clash

Club ambassador and former Derby County defender Marc Edworthy has praised Tom Lawrence's impressive displays in recent weeks.

The 26-year-old, who has scored two goals in his latest three games, has played an important role in Derby's rise up the Sky Bet Championship table in recent months.

Wales international forward Lawrence has made 31 appearances in all competitions for Phillip Cocu's side this season and scored seven times.

Those seven strikes, including a stunner from distance in last weekend's 1-1 draw at home to Huddersfield Town, have equalled his best-ever return in front of goal for Derby since his arrival form Leicester City in August 2017.

Edworthy, who made 85 appearances for Derby between 2005-2008 and helped the club win promotion to the Premier League during the 2006/07 campaign, believes Lawrence should be commended for his displays.

Speaking on RamsTV's latest instalment of the Derby County Show, Edworthy said: "Tom is in great form and is a real danger in and around the penalty area.

"Tom sets his standards so high and he is performing with real confidence.

"His strikes are deliveries are very good and people will always judge him on the ball, but off the ball too he puts a real shift in.

"Credit to him, he's in such good form and I am sure he will go on to achieve his best-ever return in terms of goals for the club this season. Fingers crossed that he can finish the season really strongly."

He added: "I think Wayne Rooney's arrival has helped Tom too and it has allowed him to get forward with the way he plays and organises players around him."

Six of his seven goals so far this season have come from outside the penalty area, while he has also weighed in with three direct assists.

His goal against Huddersfield was arguably his best of the season to date, although he did also net an equally impressive strike in the 3-2 win at Swansea City just under a fortnight ago.

"Tom's goal against Huddersfield was one straight off the training ground," Edworthy said.

"When he was lining it up to shoot, I did think he was too far out. It was a wonderful strike.

"He's in great form and when he's hitting them like he has been lately, no goalkeeper is saving that.

"His goal at Swansea recently was fantastic as well and he's playing an important role at the moment. With the confidence he's in, he caught the ball well and it flew into the top corner."

Lawrence has made 114 appearances for Derby since his arrival early in the 2017/18 campaign across all competitions, scoring 20 times.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/02/edworthy-hails-in-form-lawrence-ahead-of-fulham-clash

WhiteJC

Three changes; Jason Knight returns: Derby County's predicted line-up for Fulham clash

Derby County host Fulham in the Championship on Friday evening.

The Rams head into the encounter coming off the back of a 1-1 draw with Huddersfield Town while Fulham surprisingly lost 3-0 at home to Barnsley.

Derby will be without Duane Holmes who picked up an injury against the Terriers. Andre Wisdom, however, may return after picking up a knock last week.

Here is how we believe Derby will line up:

On-loan goalkeeper Ben Hamer is likely to return to the starting eleven. He missed the game against parent club Huddersfield with Kelle Roos replacing him.

Manager Phillip Cocu has a tough decision to make in defence. Fullbacks Jayden Bogle and Max Lowe have both struggled defensively – allowing too many crosses.

Fulham have an abundance of quality in the wide areas. Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Aboubakar Kamara have all tormented Derby in the past.

The Rams must not allow Fulham's wide players to dictate. Therefore, Cocu may opt for the more experienced Craig Forsyth and Andre Wisdom at fullback.

Graeme Shinnie replaced the injured Holmes against Huddersfield. However, his introduction saw Wayne Rooney play further forward and Derby surrendered control.

Rooney is better as a holding midfielder alongside Max Bird. With an attacking spot vacant, Jason Knight may be brought back into the starting eleven.

The Republic of Ireland U21 international has sat out the last few games but Derby could do with that extra energy and directness with Holmes sitting out.

Fulham won the corresponding fixture 3-0. The Rams have improved since then and they should be a greater match for Scott Parker's side this time around.

https://www.derbycounty.news/news/three-changes-jason-knight-returns-derby-countys-predicted-line-up-for-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Parker delivers Derby County verdict ahead of Fulham clash

Fulham manager Scott Parker has delivered his verdict on Derby County ahead of the Whites big Friday night clash with the Rams at Pride Park.

With the likes of Wayne Rooney in their ranks, a quick reminder as it has not been mentioned too many times, Derby are always likely to be a threat as Fulham look to bounce back from defeat.

But even with Phillip Cocu's men still in a lowly position, Parker has insisted that he is taking nothing for granted.

"They're a totally different team to the one we played earlier on in the season," he told his pre-match press conference, reported by the club's official website.

"They've got the second best home form in the division.

"It's always a tough place to go, Pride Park, and even more so now because Derby are on a good run.

"They're doing really well, so it will be a tough, tough place to go, I have no doubt."

Fulham will be eager to bounce back to winning ways on Friday against the Rams after suffering a blow to their automatic promotion hopes last weekend.

Bottom-side Barnsley came to Craven Cottage for what looked set to be a routine win for the Whites, but instead Gerhard Struber%u2019s men walked away with a 3-0 win and all three points.

The Whites still remain just three points behind Leeds United, who sit in second place, so will not have given up hope just yet, although this Friday night seems crucial to their chances.

The verdict

It is good that Parker is taking the Derby clash with the utmost seriousness following the Whites recent form.

The loss to Barnsley has the potential to seriously disrupt their promotion bid so bouncing back with a good showing against Derby is incredibly important.

Win and they are suddenly in a very good position again. However another another loss and it could be fatal to their chances of winning promotion this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/parker-delivers-derby-county-verdict-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic 'I will always love Newcastle but that was a big problem for me'

When Newcastle United fan Aleksandar Mitrovic arrived at St James Park, it looked the perfect match.

However, Mitro was arriving at a time of real Mike Ashley madness.

After only surviving relegation on the final day (2-0 Jonas v West Ham) of the previous season, Ashley's plan revolved bringing in inexperienced young (two 20 year olds, a 22 year old and a 24 year old) from weak overseas leagues, relying on them to instantly improve Newcastle on the pitch AND provide future profit as the new signings increased in value.

Putting Steve McClaren in charge of the team was the final piece of the relegation jigsaw.

Both Gini Wijnaldum and Aleksandar Mitrovic did supply future transfer profit but the cost of relegation was far beyond that.

Reflecting signing on at St James Park as a 20 year old: 'When I came to Newcastle I was very young. The period I needed to settle in... I didn't have one. I was expected to play straight away and score goals, like Papiss Cisse did a few years before. I will always love Newcastle but that was a big problem for me.'

Those Aleksandar Mitrovic comments give a massive pointer to why Joelinton has been a disaster for Newcastle United.

Arriving as a 22 year old, the Brazilian had played one season at a decent level in the Bundesliga but in typical Newcastle United fashion, has been thrown in the deep end.

Steve Bruce has played Joelinton in every single Premier League match, starting 25 and off the bench in one, he has also started all four FA Cup games. Whether he is under orders from Mike Ashley to always play the owner's big signing, who knows? What I do know is that if say Rafa was manager then he would be looking after Joelinton, giving him the odd break and trying to find ways to get him going.

Mitro says 'People forget I have a good record in the Premier League — 21 goals over two seasons in teams that were relegated is not easy.'

It is true, Aleksandar Mitrovic has got an ok record in the top tier, 10 for Newcastle and 11 for Fulham. Those 21 PL goals coming at a rate of round one every three starts.

Interesting to see what happens with the Serbian striker next. If Fulham are promoted then he will almost certainly stay there but it looks a certainty he would move on otherwise as he turns 26 in September, very interesting to see what kind of club would come in for him.

Aleksandar Mitrovic speaking to The Mail:

"If you feel down, get up. This is what life is about. My father taught me, 'After rain, the sun always comes out'.

"I had a real rainy period at Newcastle. Now, it's really sunny. But when it's going well, this is the time to push even harder.

"People forget I have a good record in the Premier League — 21 goals over two seasons in teams that were relegated is not easy.

'There will always be people with negativity. I don't listen. I have my goals, that is how I will prove myself. It's why I play football.

"I don't enjoy passing, running, fighting... goals are my obsession. Only strikers understand that.

"When I came to Newcastle I was very young. The period I needed to settle in... I didn't have one. I was expected to play straight away and score goals, like Papiss Cisse did a few years before.

"I will always love Newcastle but that was a big problem for me."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/02/aleksandar-mitrovic-i-will-always-love-newcastle-but-that-was-a-big-problem-for-me-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic faces Derby County this weekend - but what is his secret?

Derby County take centre stage in the Championship tonight when they welcome Fulham to Pride Park

Aleksandar Mitrovic is renowned for his decision-making in front of goal – but how does the prolific Fulham striker train that natural instinct?

Having already spearheaded one Championship promotion charge at Craven Cottage, the Serb's goals this season – all 21 of them – are a big factor in his side being among the chasing pack for an instant return to the Premier League.

Initially welcomed to England by Newcastle United in 2015, his return for Fulham is nothing short of exception, scoring 44 goals in 84 league games.

Following a recent return from injury, the frontman will once again be the man to look out for when Derby County welcome the west Londoners to Pride Park tonight (7.45pm).

But there is a rather surprising factor behind Mitrovic's goalscoring exploits.

In an extended interview with Mail Online, he said: "I love to play chess. My father was a champion, one of the best in the country.

"He could play without even looking. He had a thick book with all the combinations. He knew every move. I have never even played him, he is too good!"

Mitrovic added: "I play most nights before I go to bed, with my wife or online.

"I love it. Just you and your mind, trying to predict things to win the game, to see how it is going to play.

"I can play with you now and we don't need to talk, we talk on the board. I try to read you, see what you're going to do.

"It really relaxes me, but also it teaches you to anticipate, to think. As a striker, that is everything."

If his impressive Championship record isn't enough of a warning, Derby have already felt the impact Mitrovic first-hand this season – he scored the second goal during a 3-0 victory for Fulham during the corresponding fixture in November.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-fulham-aleksandar-mitrovic-3871483

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie claims Paul Clement prevented him trading Derby County for Champions League club

Fulham defender Cyrus Christie told Counter Attack podcast how former Derby County manager Paul Clement stopped him from joining a Champions League club.

The Rams signed Christie from Coventry in 2014. He made a total of 119 appearances over a three-year spell at Pride Park, later joining Middlesbrough.

Christie was first-choice under Steve McClaren. However, the arrival of Paul Clement saw him lose his spot with the versatile Chris Baird replacing him at right-back.

Speaking to Counter Attack podcast, Christie wanted to leave Derby for a Champions League club. Clement, however, wasn't willing to facilitate a deal.

He (Paul Clement) just came in and wasn't having me at all – out of nowhere. I had somewhere lined up to go and he said: 'No, you can't go there. It's abroad'. I said: 'What's the issue with going abroad? They play in the Champions League. You've got to let me go. It's a good opportunity'. But he said: 'I don't want you to go there. Let's sit down and discuss some teams that you can go to.'

Christie ultimately remained at Derby and won his place back in the side.

The Rams reached the playoffs in the 2015-16 campaign. However, a 3-2 aggregate defeat to Hull City in the semi-finals saw them again miss out on the Premier League.

Christie went on to join Middlesbrough in the summer of 2017. But, after just six months, Fulham paid £4 million to take him to Craven Cottage.

The 27-year-old has largely been a squad player for the Whites. He has just eight Championship starts this season, with another eight appearances off the bench.

Derby host Fulham on Friday and it will be the first time Christie returns to Pride Park as an opposing player since departing the East Midlands club.

https://www.derbycounty.news/analysis/cyrus-christie-claims-paul-clement-prevented-him-trading-derby-county-for-champions-league-club/

WhiteJC

'Impossible' - What Fulham fans are saying about Derby County game

Fulham can move level on points with Leeds United in second with victory in front of the Sky Sports cameras

Championship promotion contenders Fulham can move level on points with second-placed Leeds United tonight – but their fans are not feeling too confident.

In front of the Sky Sports cameras at Pride Park, the west Londoners are out to bounce back from a shock 3-0 home defeat to rock-bottom Barnsley when they take on Derby County.

Here is a selection of comments and predictions from Fulham supporters ahead of kick-off;

Milo said: "I think it will be 2-1 to Derby or even 3-1. Always end up seeing Derby thump us so I'm afraid it's a hangover from previous years. Luckily we will have been at the beer festival so won't be able to remember my own name by kick-off!"

FC Fulham 55 posted: "I can see a shock 2-0 defeat here, despite everyone thinking that we will lose by more."

By The River added: "Depends which Fulham turn up, which is bloody tough to call at the moment! Call it madness or blind love (both?), but I'm backing us to remain inconsistent, play totally different to last weekend and emerge the victors – 1-2 or 1-3. COYW."

Bocanegra said: "I'm going 3-0 to Derby. We are really off form at the moment and have struggled at their ground in the past. Derby in second for home record this season!"

Filham posted: "A dog's chance and no chance at all. Those are our best options. I can't even see us scoring. Compared to last week this one will be tough."

Twig added: "I guess it depends whether there is a really positive response to the debacle against Barnsley. I'm not confident there will be but with this team you never know."

Suffolk White said: "Impossible to predict as we are so inconsistent, but what will be interesting is whether the players actually turn up and whether the tactics have changed."

Statto posted: "Have a horrible feeling (although in some ways it may be a relief) that Barnsley will be the point our bubble burst and we will fall rapidly down from a false league position. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't win any of the next seven games."

The Rock added: "We were bad enough to lose to bottom of the table Barnsley. Twice. So, I'll go for a Fulham win. No reason, just darts at a dartboard. We should be better."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-fulham-fans-predictions-3871662

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Derby County v Fulham - Pride Park - Friday 21st February 2020 - 7.45pm

The opposition

After reaching the Play-Off Final last season, Derby have struggled to maintain that momentum this time around. Not helped by the departures of boss Frank Lampard and loan stars Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori and Harry Wilson, the Rams failed to find any sort of consistency in the first half of the season, only stringing back-to-back wins together for the first time over the New Year. That second game saw a debut for Wayne Rooney, which has proven to be the catalyst for some much stronger performances. It's the away form which has really been the Rams' downfall this season – they have the joint best home record alongside Preston North End.
Derby doubts

Duane Holmes, Krystian Bielik, Tom Huddlestone, George Evans, Ikechi Anya
Fulham doubts

Terence Kongolo, Alfie Mawson, Maxime Le Marchand, Harrison Reed

Tickets

Tickets will be available for Fulham fans to purchase on the night from the Away Ticket Cabin situated at the south east corner of the stadium from 6pm. Cash only, priced at: £33 adults, £23 18-21 year olds, £22 seniors, £18 under-18s, £11 2-12 year olds.
Weather

It will be an overcast but dry evening in Derby, with temperatures around nine degrees.
Fan guide

Have a read of Derby's away fan guide.

FFCtv coverage

Because this match has been chosen for coverage on Sky Sports, we are not able to stream this match live on FFCtv. Live commentary will, though, be available to all subscribers.
Dafabet match odds

Derby: 15/8

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 6/4

He said

"We have respect for the opponent. They are a strong team, third in the table, and it won't be an easy. They play good football, they like to have the ball, they dominate, play out from the back, have good players, not only the first 11 but I think if you look at their squad they have good options." – Derby manager Phillip Cocu
Form

Derby: WWWLD

Fulham: LWWDL

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/21/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Matchday Prices Confirmed For Fulham Clash

Matchday prices have been confirmed for tonight's Sky Bet Championship clash between Derby County and Fulham (7.45pm kick off).

Derby's home form throughout the campaign has been strong and the meeting with the Cottagers will see Phillip Cocu's side take on the one of the Championship's automatic promotion-chasers this evening.

Ticket prices are as follows:

* £10.00 Child (Age 2-12)

* £17.00 Youth (Age 13-17)

* £22.00 Young Adult (Age 18-21)

* £31.00 Adult (Age 22-64)

* £21.00 Senior (Age 65+)*Prices based on category D & E

A £1 per ticket booking fee applies when purchasing by either telephone or online.

For matchday ticket enquiries and purchases, please visit the Ticket Office at Pride Park Stadium or call 0871 472 1884 (option 1).

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/02/matchday-prices-confirmed-for-fulham-clash

WhiteJC

Charlton move to secure Doughty future after Fulham January interest

According to the South London Press' Richard Cawley, Charlton Athletic have moved to secure the future of rated youngster Alfie Doughty at the club by extending his current deal.

Cawley writes that the Addicks have exercised an option to extend his current deal and have done so with Doughty's contract being extended until the summer of 2022. Speaking to the South London Press, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer confirmed this saying: "With Alfie there was a clause in his contract which triggers something – and we've triggered that," said the Addicks boss. "So that's another year."

Doughty has made his way up through the youth ranks at The Valley, graduating from the Under-23 this season after loan spells in non-league football with Kingstonian FC and Bromley. Eight of his games this season have been out on loan at Bromley, where he scored twice in games against Notts County and Solihull Moors.

However, since his return to Charlton from the National League side, Doughty has been an almost ever-present for the Addicks. He's enjoyed a run of 16 games from late-November, only missing one game. During this run of appearances, Doughty has scored his first Championship goal in the 3-2 win over Bristol City and provided assists in losses to Sheffield Wednesday and Preston North End.

Such was his rise to prominence that the South London Press state that he came to the notice of Championship high-flyers Fulham who showed interest in the 20-year-old during the January transfer window.

If he continues to show the progress and consistency that he already has so far this season, it might be likely that teams such as Fulham come around sniffing again in the summer.

https://the72.co.uk/157548/charlton-move-to-secure-doughty-future-after-fulham-january-interest/

WhiteJC

The main talking points from Parker's Fulham press conference ahead of Derby clash

Fulham travel to Derby County in the Championship tonight.

Scott Parker's side worked so hard to close what was an 11-point gap to 2nd-place Leeds over the festive period, and going into last weekend level on points and welcoming bottom-club Barnsley to Craven Cottage, everything was supposed to continue on it's upward trajectory.

But Fulham and Parker were brought crashing down to Earth by the Tykes who claimed the shock of the weekend, winning 3-0.

It's added extra importance to tonight's game at Pride Park, and another loss will have Parker under immense pressure as he looks to deliver an immediate return to the Premier League.

Speaking to www.fulhamfc.com ahead of the clash, Parker recognised Derby's home-form, and how much they've changed since the pair met earlier in the season:

"They're a totally different team to the one we played earlier on in the season. They've got the second best home form in the division.

"It's always a tough place to go, Pride Park, and even more so now because Derby are on a good run. They're doing really well, so it will be a tough, tough place to go, I have no doubt."

Fulham claimed a 3-0 win when Derby visited the Cottage in November, with Bobby Reid, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Tom Cairney all netting in what was arguably Parker's best month in charge – he won four of five through November.

The ex-England midfielder then went on to talk about an ex-England teammate of his in Wayne Rooney. Our nation's all-time leading goal-scorer arrived at Pride Park in January in a player-coach role, and the Rams have since seen an upturn in their form:

"He's made a massive impact, I think you can see that, certainly in the way they're playing," Parker said. "When you bring a player of Wayne's calibre into your football club, he brings a certain mentality, as well as the quality he has as a footballer which we all know.

"With a player who's got a winning mentality and who has been there and done it, I've no doubt that he'll be a huge success there, and that's why Wayne's had a big impact."

Rooney though isn't the fiery 18-year-old he once was. "He's a different player now," Parker said. "He's an older player now, and the qualities he has are very different.

"When you're a world class player, you realise and work out quickly how you can still be effective in a football match, and Wayne's done that incredibly well.

"When you watch him play now, he can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and really take control of a football match from a deeper area. That's what I've seen from their last few games whilst analysing ahead of this one.

"He's different now, of course. What I used to see and what we all used to see isn't what Wayne does now, but he's still mightily effective."

A win tonight would answer a lot of fans' question about Parker. His side have proved inconsistent this season and that's the difference between them and the top-two.

Fulham can be world-beaters on their day, but Parker needs to find a way of getting through difficult games, and eradicating silly defeats.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-main-talking-points-from-parkers-fulham-press-conference-ahead-of-derby-clash/

WhiteJC

Opposition in focus – Derby County

Another helping of Friday night football sees Fulham make the journey north to face Phillip Cocu's Derby County side at Pride Park this evening.

Tonight's televised game is our first visit to Derbyshire since the memorable Championship play-off semi final and it comes off the back of a disappointing defeat at home to Barnsley last weekend. If Scott Parker needs to lift his troops, he might be able to raise spirits by recalling Fulham's comfortable 3-0 dispatching of the Rams in November. Cocu and Derby have to be disappointed with their season so far, with the club currently nine points off the play-off places in thirteenth, although the arrival of veteran Wayne Rooney, who has scored nine goals in twelve appearances against Fulham, seems to have sparked something of a revival. Derby are unbeaten in four and have scored sixteen goals in their last twelve league outings.

The Rams, with Cocu finally able to transmit his vision to a squad that contains plenty of quality, probably still have realistic promotion aspirations – especially with how crazy this division remains. As well as Rooney, County have plenty of quality within their squad. Creative midfielder Tom Lawrence has seven goals to his name already this time and former Fulham striker Chris Martin, who has formed a potent partnership with the evergreen Martyn Waghorn up front, will be eager to remind us all of his talent. The pair have plundered nineteen goals between them so far this season.

The home side will have to do without the experienced Tom Huddlestone, a regular scourge of Fulham, who has succumbed to a long-standing calf problem. American midfielder Duane Holmes, scorer of a stunning equaliser at Middlesbrough, is also missing due to a leg injury but Cocu should be able to welcome back the former Liverpool defender Andre Wisdom from a hamstring strain.

Parker's injury concerns are familiar. Harrison Reed is likely to miss out again, whilst defenders Alfie Mawson, Terence Kongolo and Maxime Le Marchand are long-term absentees. The Whites are in dire need of both a performance and a big result at Pride Park to breathe new life into their promotion push, especially after their meek capitulation against bottom of the table Barnsley. 700 Fulham fans are making the journey up to Derby tonight as Parker aims to put the pressure back on Leeds before Saturday's fixtures.

MY FULHAM XI (4-3-3): Rodak; Christie, Odoi, Hector, Bryan; McDonald, Cairney, Onomah; Decordova-Reid, Mitrovic, Cavaleiro

My prediction: Derby County 1-2 Fulham.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/02/opposition-in-focus-derby-county/

WhiteJC

U18 Preview: Saints vs Fulham

Southampton's youngsters return to action on Saturday, hosting Fulham in U18 Premier League at Staplewood Campus (11am GMT).

The league leaders travel to the south coast having only lost once all season, proving to be a big test for 8th placed Saints.

Saturday's hosts narrowly lost out to second place Chelsea in their last outing at the start of the month, coming away from West London with a 2-0 defeat on February 1st.

The defeat at Chelsea followed a dominating 5-0 victory over Swansea on their last fixture at Staplewood, featuring a hat-trick from Jack Turner.

Many Under-18s regulars have made the move up to the Under-23s in recent weeks, meaning a new look side will take the field on Saturday.

A win for Saints could will open up the game on the lower half of the league standings, putting them a point behind Aston Villa in 7th should they lose their game at home to Norwich City.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-02-21/u18-preview-southampton-fc-vs-fulham-premier-league-u18-19-20

WhiteJC

£15m star admits that he loves Newcastle United

Newcastle United sold Alexander Mitrovic to Fulham back in 2018.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has told the Daily Mail that he loves Newcastle United.

Mitrovic spent three years with Newcastle between 2015 and 2018, but he never quite seemed to convince Rafael Benitez.

Newcastle ultimately sold Mitrovic to Fulham for £15 million (The Sun), where he has gone on to score prolifically.

Mitrovic has netted 21 goals in 30 appearances so far this season at Championship level.

And he feels more ready to cope with the responsibility put on his shoulders now, than he was when he first joined Newcastle.

"They expect me to make things happen," he said. "It's a new experience for me.

"When I came to Newcastle I was very young. The period I needed to settle in... I didn't have one. I was expected to play straight away and score goals, like Papiss Cisse did a few years before.

"I will always love Newcastle, but that was a big problem for me."

There have been suggestions from some Newcastle supporters that Mitrovic should never have been sold, considering their struggles this season.

Joelinton is Newcastle's top scoring striker this term, having hit the back of the net just three times.

Mitrovic would surely have bettered that total had he been kept around by Benitez, but the Magpies loss has certainly been Fulham's gain as the Serbian has been nothing short of excellent ever since moving to Craven Cottage.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/21/15m-star-admits-that-he-loves-newcastle-united/