https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

it is the poor quality of performance not the results

Started by ALG01, February 22, 2020, 12:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

ignoring man city
six out of the last six games have been very poor in terms of performance
the results are an irrelevance in this respect because if you play well then the results follow, if you play badly then the results will fail.
when K mac came back into the team after a long abscence we started to look much better and the defence more solid (hector was part of a brilliant triangle with ream and Kmac) but for no reason that makes any sense whatsoever parker dropped Kmac and we not only look worse have only managed two dubious points in those three games.

Generally we are playing the wrong tactics, it isn't the possesion game that is at issue it is that we play 4 at the back with a deep midfileder so effectively 5 and then two very wide men at the front, with mitro isolated and two midfielders way to far forward and too wide so effectively a 5 5 formation. The spaces between players when inpossesion is far too great, the movement of the ball too slow, the obsession of overplaying on the edge of the box ridiculous and that is all down to parker. The best we did yesterday was when TC dropped back and started threading a few passes and speeded up the movement of the ball, but he then gets sent forward again so we lose the benifit of having one of the best players in the division by having hoim so out of position.

if parker persists with this nonsensical formation then we may fail to get in the play offfs, and that may be best because if we cannot be one of the top two I do not think he is capable of working out how to win the play off matches based on most of what I have seen.

I do continue to blame TK for the entirety of the mossed opportunities we have had. Three succesive winter transfer windows he has spectacularly failed to do the necessary and this last one was criminal in failing to get full backs and in truth we do need a way more experienced person to be helping with team matters, whether netter coaching or better identification of proper talent. do know if offered vardy or marez all those years ago TK would not have brought them to us. Long term until we get a top class profesional DoF this state of affairs will continue with the supporters wondering why we are so underacheiving.

But for parker, he has to modify the tactics, get K mac back in the side, drop TC back so he is more dominating and bring the wingers into a narrower position such that they are mmore connected with mitro and the moidfield.

grandad

This league is a results business. I am not worried how pretty or ugly we play as long as we get the results. Think back to Brighton where they ground out ugly 1-0 wins nearly every game.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Penfold

Quote from: grandad on February 22, 2020, 12:09:07 PM
This league is a results business. I am not worried how pretty or ugly we play as long as we get the results. Think back to Brighton where they ground out ugly 1-0 wins nearly every game.

Surely all leagues are a results league? I thought entertainment had something to do with it as well?

I've been fortunate in the promotion seasons I've witnessed that the football has also been pretty decent. On the whole, what we've witnessed this season is fairly turgid entertainment wise.

ALG01

whatever style you play you have to do it well.... we have not been playing well and as a result the results are bound to turn against us.
performance and quality of performance has to be right first if you expect to get results consistently.

Arthur

I am not worried how pretty or ugly we play as long as we get the results.

If the result is all that matters, then why go the game at all? We'd all gain just as much enjoyment following the score updates on Sky Sports News.

bobby01

TBH I work hard for my money as many of us do, I go watch us play football irrespective of the result. A string of turgid 1-0 wins would not satisfy me as I don't really believe the premier league is the be all and all of football. I have rarely been entertained under Parker and I think we are where we are because of the quality of players we have being able to produce goals out of nothing to win games. I don't know how you could work out it out but I think probably the chances that Mitrovic gets compared to his goal ratio must be phenomally high. If it were not for him and the worldie goals we have scored I think we would be mid table under Parker and these tactics.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

ffc73

Quote from: bobby01 on February 22, 2020, 12:56:08 PM
TBH I work hard for my money as many of us do, I go watch us play football irrespective of the result. A string of turgid 1-0 wins would not satisfy me as I don't really believe the premier league is the be all and all of football. I have rarely been entertained under Parker and I think we are where we are because of the quality of players we have being able to produce goals out of nothing to win games. I don't know how you could work out it out but I think probably the chances that Mitrovic gets compared to his goal ratio must be phenomally high. If it were not for him and the worldie goals we have scored I think we would be mid table under Parker and these tactics.

We were pretty turgid under Joka for a while.  I recall 0-2 at Wolverhampton on a Friday night thinking "why am I here, this is not enjoyable to watch".  Joka ground out some results and built (with additions of Targett & Mitro) a side that entertained as well as won.  I actually think we have gone backwards with Parker.  We started with pretty football, dropped back to grinding out results and now are not enjoyable to watch.

Spirit of 2000

Bang on. If we had won, lost or drawn last night the performance was awful and style beyond dull.

Worcesterwhite

My biggest problem is the way we go about games, just no intensity whatsoever and no urgency to get forward. This is even more frustrating as we have some extremely creative players that are being made to look ordinary due to tactics. TC, Knock and Cav to name a couple would thrive with a higher tempo it creates space.

Southdowns White

Quote from: Worcesterwhite on February 22, 2020, 01:23:59 PM
My biggest problem is the way we go about games, just no intensity whatsoever and no urgency to get forward. This is even more frustrating as we have some extremely creative players that are being made to look ordinary due to tactics. TC, Knock and Cav to name a couple would thrive with a higher tempo it creates space.
we only really had urgency when Derby scored, we then created enough chances to win the game. Whatever Parker is thinking it is too slow formulated and the midfield get out clause is pass it back. There was a moment yesterday when we won the ball inside the Derby half, the players first reaction was to turn and pass the ball back, it ended up back with our keeper. For me our midfield are not performing this puts too much pressure on our defence, someone will always make a mistake eventually, there is also little supply to Nitro who is more often than not isolated and two defenders on his back. The system needs changing.

RaySmith

Quote from: Arthur on February 22, 2020, 12:38:53 PM

If the result is all that matters, then why go the game at all? We'd all gain just as much enjoyment following the score updates on Sky Sports News.

For me, going to the game, when i can these days, is all about being part of the occasion, and experiencing the atmosphere, losing my self in it, and  supporting the team to, hopefully, a win.

How we do it is always interesting to me, even if a defensive display, and i appreciate sound defending, and doesn't  have to be pretty football, and the outcome is the most important thing as far as i'm concerned.

I definitely feel like I'm part of the 12th member of the team as a Fulham fan, especially away, and feel involved - if we win, or get a hard fought draw, I feel like i and my fellow fans have helped this happen, and celebrate with the players.

Arthur

Good post, Ray. I take what you say about expectations being lower at away games and that less exciting performances can be enjoyed more. If we were top of the table playing this way, I might be more accepting of it as a means to an end (i.e. getting back into the P.L.). But promotion via the play-offs seems a more likely route and a 25% chance, at best.

A more expansive style of football may not increase our chances of promotion, but nor can I see it harming them - and at least I might go home a few times feeling that I've seen a game that's something other than forgettable.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: RaySmith on February 22, 2020, 03:48:49 PM
Quote from: Arthur on February 22, 2020, 12:38:53 PM

For me, going to the game, when i can these days, is all about being part of the occasion, and experiencing the atmosphere, losing my self in it, and  supporting the team to, hopefully, a win.

How we do it is always interesting to me, even if a defensive display, and i appreciate sound defending, and doesn't  have to be pretty football, and the outcome is the most important thing as far as i'm concerned.

I definitely feel like I'm part of the 12th member of the team as a Fulham fan, especially away, and feel involved - if we win, or get a hard fought draw, I feel like i and my fellow fans have helped this happen, and celebrate with the players.
Results are great, but if we play poor football why bother?  If it is just about results just look online at the end of the season to see how we did.
If I am paying £35-£40 to watch football, please forgive me if I feel I am entitled to be entertained.  Highs & Lows throughout the season are what football is all about. Win or Lose is not the be all and end all, but at least try to play positive football.  I remember wet Tuesday's in the late 80's, early 90's when we were poor, with players having to push the coach when it broke down.  I fancy that some players this season would not even bother to get off the coach!!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"