watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

One minutes silence ( NFR)

Started by The Swan, February 24, 2020, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I was impressed with the one minutes silence observed by 75000 supporters at Old Trafford yesterday in honour of Harry Gregg.
Why cant Fulham honour their former players who passed away. Jimmy Conway was honoured at our last home game with one minutes applause. I would much prefer the one minutes silence in future.
The Swan

fulhamfan

Andy S

Totally agree. May be that is what the club were going to do but the applause started well before the announcer finished paying his respects. Once it starts it's impossible to stop

ron

I agree the minute's silence is more fitting with remembrance. The applause seems gimmicky.

gang

Although I prefer silence both ways are showing signs of respect.

Jurassic Parker

Who cares? Is this what keeps you up at night?

Applause is just as much a sign of respect, it also ensures there are no asshats or groups of supporters that chant, jeet or shout amongst the silence.

Twig

Equally, Liverpool had a minutes applause last night for a recently deceased ex player.  Whether a minutes silence or a minutes applause it is a mark of respect and as far as I am concerned either is satisfactory.

ffcthereligion

The applause vs silence debate is an interesting one. I do agree that silence feels like a more respectful and significant tribute to the dead than applause; remembrance sunday instantly comes to mind and I would never advertise applause being introduced there given the unimaginable enormity of what those young men did for this country and the free world.

But for deceased club legends whom we do not know personally, for instance when a Mohamed Al-Fayed or Roy die, would raucous applause and celebration of what they achieved at the club not feel entirely appropriate?! I for one will look to serenade Al Fayed for large portions of the first Fulham home game after his passing in recognition of all of the good times he provided us all. Hopefully of course this is not for a while.

filham

Quote from: Jurassic Parker on February 25, 2020, 10:33:48 AM
Who cares? Is this what keeps you up at night?

Applause is just as much a sign of respect, it also ensures there are no asshats or groups of supporters that chant, jeet or shout amongst the silence.
Yes , that I understand is the main reason that clubs go for the applause nowadays, to avoid the whole tribute being spoilt by the disrespectful few.
A good article in today's Telegraphon how Man.u. got away with silence for Greg in spite of the match being against City.

I Ronic

I'm a big.fan of applause. Watching Conway with the ball when I was 12,  I would be saying under my breath "go on, go on" which would turn into cheering if it lead to a goal or a disappointed "oooh" if it came to nothing.
To be able clap and cheer for one thing takes me back to being that 12 year old and for another may lead to the very remote chance that his spirit just might hear what he meant to us.

St Eve

Silence seems more respectful to me

Carborundum

Applause prevents those turning up late making noise they would not make if aware of what is happening....and drowns out any idiots.

But can someone have a word with our stadium announcer.  If the applause has already started, he needs to ditch the bit in the script that refers to the period starting on the referees whistle.