watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sky pundits can see our shortcomings

Started by Jims Dentist, February 22, 2020, 04:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

Steeeeed has posted below highlighting our poor scoring record from breakaways which was one of the things talked about last night.
Scott Minto, Keith Andrews and the astute Don Goodman made a number of spot on observations about us:
Lack of intent/urgency.
Far too many back and sideways pases.
Playing out from the back when it is too dangerous to do so ( such as from goal kicks when being heavily pressed by numbers).

They also mentioned that Bryan is our only defender to score so far, this being very different with our rivals.
They showed a clip from Millwall away when Onemah passes out to AK side right, it was on for AK  to take on the left back only for Onemah to run into the wing space preventing this so another sideways pass was made.

The things that they mentioned were largely what many of us moan about regularly.

Jims Dentist

Also on the show they did the usual interviews with fans before the game.
When asked if Fulham could get automatic promotion the youngish guy said,
Yes, if we play the Fulham way. We have the best manager in The  Championship.

Respectfully, the word delusional comes to mind.

Nick Bateman

The Sky pundits seemed to hit the nail on the proverbial head - do not know why Parker is allowing this malaise to persist.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

The Cravenette

Parker got very defensive (excuse the pun) when he was interviewed at the end and questioned about always playing out.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Nick Bateman on February 22, 2020, 06:06:33 PM
The Sky pundits seemed to hit the nail on the proverbial head - do not know why Parker is allowing this malaise to persist.

Bang on. No matter how much I dislike Keith Andrews,  his comments are 100% accurate

Milo

Quote from: The Cravenette on February 22, 2020, 06:34:04 PM
Parker got very defensive (excuse the pun) when he was interviewed at the end and questioned about always playing out.

Interesting - missed this as was walking back to Derby station. What did he reply?

Mince n Tatties

Dodger53

Quote from: Milo on February 22, 2020, 07:52:11 PM
Quote from: The Cravenette on February 22, 2020, 06:34:04 PM

Interesting - missed this as was walking back to Derby station. What did he reply?
In a nutshell he said he will not change our / his style of play if possession is 50/50 we can't win games. Practice is all about playing out from the back and if players occasionally don't make the right decision as to when not to play out he will not criticise them.

Luka

He is stubborn to the point of being culpable.
Parker is our biggest barrier to free flowing, entertaining and exciting football.

Matt10

It is interesting though that we absorbed 2-3 chances from Derby because we couldn't collect the ball after going long on our own goal kicks. Mitro, or a combination of Mitro and the defender, would win the ball, but neither Cav, Kamara or Reid could get to the second ball. This was probably more frustrating to watch in the last 10 minutes than anything.

Worcesterwhite

Normally wouldn't take much notice of the sky pundits but I actually rate Don Goodman as he speaks a lot of sense and knows the division inside out. He completely summed up our short comings perfectly as we have all witnessed for ourselves.
The sky interview after the game really did question Parker on his tactics and you could see he got quite defensive

Sting of the North

Quote from: Matt10 on February 22, 2020, 08:21:37 PM
It is interesting though that we absorbed 2-3 chances from Derby because we couldn't collect the ball after going long on our own goal kicks. Mitro, or a combination of Mitro and the defender, would win the ball, but neither Cav, Kamara or Reid could get to the second ball. This was probably more frustrating to watch in the last 10 minutes than anything.

I agree Matt, we really invited Derby to score a winner by losing our key battles. Not sure I prefer a trading chances-tactic like the last 10 minutes or so. Prefer that we keep playing 'our' way, but turning it up a notch like we seemed to do after Derby scored. This will of course increase the risk a little, but when we keep it on the ground and actually have people running and switching positions we look dangerous while still being mostly in control. To do this well consistently would however probably require a team that is more settled than we seem to be at the moment. Difficult to put the finger on why this is still a problem after three quarters of the season.

H4usuallysitting

Matter of interest....does anyone know how many goals we've conceded while passing it around our back 4/5

Sting of the North

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 23, 2020, 08:44:52 AM
Matter of interest....does anyone know how many goals we've conceded while passing it around our back 4/5

I don't know the answer to that one, but would guess that it is just a couple of goals by now (directly attributable to the short passing). The problem is that we don't know what would have happened if we for example played long instead, which always makes it difficult to assess whether or not the tactic is overall successful.

SP

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 22, 2020, 07:55:23 PM
Sky Pundits . 064.gif

Had a laugh at the comment from Jamie Rednapp yesterday that the 3 relegated clubs will come from Brighton in 15th & below. What a wonderfully insightful observation.

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 22, 2020, 07:55:23 PM
Sky Pundits . 064.gif
Come on Mince, they have and are entitled to opinions just like us.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Andy S

Sadly I don't think that we will be going up this season as it would take a surge of cataclysmic proportions to do so. It is what it is but the manager needs to be replaced by the end of the season and a new direction found that we can all unite around

Matt10

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 23, 2020, 08:38:44 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on February 22, 2020, 08:21:37 PM

I agree Matt, we really invited Derby to score a winner by losing our key battles. Not sure I prefer a trading chances-tactic like the last 10 minutes or so. Prefer that we keep playing 'our' way, but turning it up a notch like we seemed to do after Derby scored. This will of course increase the risk a little, but when we keep it on the ground and actually have people running and switching positions we look dangerous while still being mostly in control. To do this well consistently would however probably require a team that is more settled than we seem to be at the moment. Difficult to put the finger on why this is still a problem after three quarters of the season.

From what I could see is that the theme of needing to change tactics earlier was significant again. We stayed in the 4-3-3 for too long, with TC and Johansen too high up the pitch, and Arter trapped between two banks. Once we switched to the 4-1-4-1, it allowed Cairney to have a bit more free reign because Cav, Reid and Kamara are each there to support Mitro. His movement released Arter to get out of the traps and had a bit more time on the ball as a result.

The issue is we shouldn't need to concede a goal to a change tactics when they are not working. This match's tactics focused on the side-to-side movement through the backline to pull Derby forwards and midfielders out of position, so we can find Arter. It worked only a couple of times, but even then the next bank is filled with midfielders who are marking Cairney, Knockaert and StefJo, while Reid has free-reign all over the pitch. 

ByTheRiver

Stevie Wonder can see our shortcomings tbf.

General

We've become the team version of Parker as a midfielder... a central midfielder, with a more defensive personality and every now and then ability to score... He's a nice and very competent player, but lacking creativity and doesn't express himself in more than a monotone way.