watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For those of you

Started by Peabody, February 23, 2020, 09:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Who are thinking this is the worst season ever, should go back to that rainy November Saturday in 1991, match goes to extra time, final score Fulham 0 Hayes 2. now, that was depressing.

ffc73

There are many yardsticks to the depths of disappointment we have all felt as Fulham supporters.  Many a thread has debated this.  However, those that have experienced any type of pain know, it fades over time.

I do not think 'moaners' or 'complainers', and I include myself in these subjective categories, are saying "this is the worst season ever".  I find the football we play uninspiring, underwhelming and I think we should be doing better than we are.  Just my opinion.  I am not depressed.  Disappointed and frustrated would be better descriptions of my feelings. 

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC73 on February 23, 2020, 10:22:54 AM
There are many yardsticks to the depths of disappointment we have all felt as Fulham supporters.  Many a thread has debated this.  However, those that have experienced any type of pain know, it fades over time.

I do not think 'moaners' or 'complainers', and I include myself in these subjective categories, are saying "this is the worst season ever".  I find the football we play uninspiring, underwhelming and I think we should be doing better than we are.  Just my opinion.  I am not depressed.  Disappointed and frustrated would be better descriptions of my feelings. 
+1 ...  disinterested is my common fault these days.

ALG01

What about the defeat at Torquay?

In my opinion what is at issue is whether we are fulfiling our potential and this season we are clearly not.

Parker has  a fixed idea how to play and that is good. But he doesn't seem to want to adjust the style at all to make it happen to the maximum. He needs to tweak the style. We swaw flashes of what are potential is but then he reverts to the less good.

There is no question we have a squad capable of winning most games playing scintillating football, we are doing neither, in fact much of the football is predictable and boring, and that is what is frustrating, and entirely down to the manager.

f321ffc

Quote from: ALG01 on February 23, 2020, 10:37:38 AM

In my opinion what is at issue is whether we are fulfiling our potential and this season we are clearly not.

Parker has  a fixed idea how to play and that is good. But he doesn't seem to want to adjust the style at all to make it happen to the maximum. He needs to tweak the style. We swaw flashes of what are potential is but then he reverts to the less good.

There is no question we have a squad capable of winning most games playing scintillating football, we are doing neither, in fact much of the football is predictable and boring, and that is what is frustrating, and entirely down to the manager.
Yes the Torquay game I was there,we were  91st in the league and we lost to the only club below us.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

filham

Quote from: f321ffc on February 23, 2020, 10:51:27 AM

Yes the Torquay game I was there,we were  91st in the league and we lost to the only club below us.
Yes that Torquay defeat was rock bottom, we were all but out of the football league.
The difference right now is that expectations were so high at the beginning of the season and that we are no longer the poor club we were in those days.

bog

Golden memories aye Peabody? My phone was taken off the hook, so much grief was on offer.  :doh: But we stuck with the cause did we not?

092.gif

bog

What a journey home that must have been....

Penfold

I was at the Torquay game. 90 minutes football being the blot on an excellent weekend away.

f321ffc

Quote from: bog on February 23, 2020, 11:11:09 AM

What a journey home that must have been....
I lived in Newton Abbot at the time but the 5 mile drive home still wasn't pleasant, live even closer to Torquay now 😂
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

70sPimlico

I have not seen anyone say its the worst season ever, or even close.

Probably one of the most underperforming seasons I can remember. Jol 2nd season and Bracewell season get close.

RaySmith

In the 1960's, with the likes of Haynes, Leggat, Robson,Tosh, Mullery, Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Lowe, Marsh, Macdonald playing for us, we were mostly fighting relegation.
And that's when I began supporting Fulham!

SP

Quote from: Penfold on February 23, 2020, 01:41:20 PM
I was at the Torquay game. 90 minutes football being the blot on an excellent weekend away.

I think the Torquay away weekend must be in my top 3.  Udo!

Twig

Quote from: RaySmith on February 23, 2020, 05:30:32 PM
In the 1960's, with the likes of Haynes, Leggat, Robson,Tosh, Mullery, Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Lowe, Marsh, Macdonald playing for us, we were mostly fighting relegation.

Agreed, if ever a side underperformed it was that one. I could never understand why we struggled for consecutive seasons.

Jims Dentist

After the Torquay  debacle soon afterwards we lost away at Mansfield who were also near the bottom of Div 4.
It was a freezing day.
I can remember our small following coming  out of the ground singing where shite and we know we are.
There was a round of applause from the Mansfield  fans.

Statto

The "it's not as bad as..." argument has to be one of my pet hates. Almost any problem with poverty or the NHS, for example, could be defended with the argument "oh this is nothing compared to the Blitz".

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on February 23, 2020, 05:30:32 PM
That is true but at the same time we were entertaining.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on February 24, 2020, 10:49:13 AM
The "it's not as bad as..." argument has to be one of my pet hates. Almost any problem with poverty or the NHS, for example, could be defended with the argument "oh this is nothing compared to the Blitz".

I think the OP is just pointing out that "worst" is an absolute and as I think most of us would agree this has not been our worst season to date.  I actually haven't seen many posters suggesting that this has been our worst so I tend to agree with you, in that whilst he's correct it's a rather irrelevant point (unless I've missed several people genuinely arguing that is has actually been our worst).  Poor yes, frustrating yes, lacking in enjoyment yes, worst no.  At least, that would be my take.

Burt

Difficult to do comparisons as clearly we have had worst seasons, and also times when the very existence of the club was in doubt.

For me, it's more to do with being third (great!) but not sure how the hell we are third when we are not playing anywhere near the levels we reached when Jokanovic, or Tigana, took us up.