watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

10 Wins, 1 Draw, 1 Defeat

Started by ByTheRiver, February 23, 2020, 11:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Is what we need just to equal the points tally under Slavisa in 17/18.

And he only had Mitro for half a season, and a much less expensive squad and wage bill. I don't want to continually beat the same drum, just offer some reasoning as to why a section of the board feel as we do.

And this stat is quite damning. Anyone think we'll get the 10 wins and only one defeat...?

fulhamben

Points don't really matter as Its looking like that the top 6 will amass less points than they did that season. Finishing in 3rd or fourth is more important due to having the second leg at home regardless of how many points we pick up
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

That half season when we acquired Mitro was exceptional and will not be repeated but remember it was exceptional for Fulham and for Jocanovic, the remainder of his time here was not that outstanding.
We need to forget Jocanovic, he is not coming back, give full support to Parker and the team for the rest of the season and save our judgements on the manager until the end of the season.

Promotion is still a possibility, let us make the best of the opportunity.

Facts Not Fiction

Jokanovic was a better Championship manager than Parker. Statistically, Parker was a better PL manager than Jokanovic.

Random fact for the day.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: filham on February 23, 2020, 11:39:47 AM
That half season when we acquired Mitro was exceptional and will not be repeated but remember it was exceptional for Fulham and for Jocanovic, the remainder of his time here was not that outstanding.
We need to forget Jocanovic, he is not coming back, give full support to Parker and the team for the rest of the season and save our judgements on the manager until the end of the season.

Wrong. If you take out the beginning when he had Craig Kline at Motspur causing all sorts of nonsense (wanting to do wrestling in sumo suits at the press conference, etc)/the stats model being in full force (it's since been dialled back to the optimum level) and the premiership section where had a load of players either new or unsuited to the league (Seri, Anguissa, Vietto, etc), lazy and living on past glories (Schurrle) or brought in too late (Chambers the day before the season started! Far too late to develop defensive shape and understanding), then his record was exceptional.

Anyway, this isn't about SJ per se, more a demonstration of how woefully Parker is doing backed up by stats rather than the constant argument "well, he can't be doing too badly, we are third", "still in touch", etc.

He has by far and away the better squad (he does, the fact they are not playing like it is entirely down to the manager - let's see how they perform again either at another club or under another manager) but yet he is likely to perform worse with it.

That period was exceptional precisely because the manager and the system made it that way. The same could have happened this season. We could have literally walked the league ala Wolves under even a semi competent manager with exactly the squad we have.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: fulhamben on February 23, 2020, 11:34:02 AM
Points don't really matter as Its looking like that the top 6 will amass less points than they did that season. Finishing in 3rd or fourth is more important due to having the second leg at home regardless of how many points we pick up

You've missed the point I'm making. Parker is statically performing worse with far more resources. Being third or in with a shout due to other teams being equally bad (with far smaller budgets, albeit) and flashes of individual brilliance amongst the turgid, devoid of a plan football, is neither here nor there with the original point.

bill taylors apprentice

Despite my doubts about SP, as of today we still have a great chance of 2nd place but the problem is so have at least 4 other clubs!

Putting aside the idea of where we should be now with the squad assembled (i.e. 1st place) it should really only be between us and Leeds for 2nd place.

Desire and fighting spirit must be a given, whats been lacking throughout the season is teamwork, tactics and playing decisive football to the maximum.
If that doesn't spark into life now I believe we are more likely to drop away and struggle to make 6th place than challenge for 2nd.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 23, 2020, 12:07:07 PM
Despite my doubts about SP, as of today we still have a great chance of 2nd place but the problem is so have at least 4 other clubs!

Putting aside the idea of where we should be now with the squad assembled (i.e. 1st place) it should really only be between us and Leeds for 2nd place.

Desire and fighting spirit must be a given, whats been lacking throughout the season is teamwork, tactics and playing decisive football to the maximum.
If that doesn't spark into life now I believe we are more likely to drop away and struggle to make 6th place than challenge for 2nd.

I agree with all of this. How frustrating is it though that Leeds have had their bad run, we caught them (mostly as they were worse than us rather than us being better!) and had a chance to go above them and make a 2-3 point cushion between us and them. Instead of that, they now have a cushion on us!

The game against them should have been a chance to end the chase and rubber stamp promotion, now it's just a chance to try and claw back some points.

I'm not massively confident after the last three games...

Sgt Fulham

Jokanovic was exceptional from his first game. We were relegation fodder and within a few games you could see the impression of his style. The players were crap and the performances weren't stunning but you could see real progress. I remember we played high flying Derby at home, a game I expected us to get battered in and held our own with his style. We got a draw. He kept us up and then turned us into a beast with less talent than we have today. In the 16/17 season we terrified teams. We were often regarded as the best footballing side in the division and did the double over league winners Newcastle. Their fans were glad they didn't have to face us in the playoffs. We were unlucky and perhaps a little naive in the playoffs but he stuck with us. We lost a couple of good players for good money and he replaced them. We struggled at the start of the season due to injuries to TC and lack of a proper striker, but thanks to Slavisa we got Mitro. The rest is history and during the second half of the season we were better than Wolves. Once again Wolves fans were thankful that they didn't have to face us in the playoffs. The football was brilliant, exciting, and we had an identity. We also had more grit about us, allowing us to see off Millwall with ease after a very tough first half. We had the guts and belief to turn around a first leg loss against Derby and then to take the game to Villa in the final, score, and defend a 1-0 lead with 10 men for 20 minutes. Talk about handling the pressure.

Slavisa had a plan, a style, and a mentality. The players respected him and shared his vision. It all went wrong in the Premier League, but Slavisa shares only a small portion of that blame for me. I wish so much we had just kept him as we went down.

Parker shouldn't exist on the same sentence as Slavisa. He delivers nothing but boredom and underwhelming.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on February 23, 2020, 12:39:26 PM

Jokanovic was exceptional from his first game. We were relegation fodder and within a few games you could see the impression of his style. The players were crap and the performances weren't stunning but you could see real progress. I remember we played high flying Derby at home, a game I expected us to get battered in and held our own with his style. We got a draw. He kept us up and then turned us into a beast with less talent than we have today. In the 16/17 season we terrified teams. We were often regarded as the best footballing side in the division and did the double over league winners Newcastle. Their fans were glad they didn't have to face us in the playoffs. We were unlucky and perhaps a little naive in the playoffs but he stuck with us. We lost a couple of good players for good money and he replaced them. We struggled at the start of the season due to injuries to TC and lack of a proper striker, but thanks to Slavisa we got Mitro. The rest is history and during the second half of the season we were better than Wolves. Once again Wolves fans were thankful that they didn't have to face us in the playoffs. The football was brilliant, exciting, and we had an identity. We also had more grit about us, allowing us to see off Millwall with ease after a very tough first half. We had the guts and belief to turn around a first leg loss against Derby and then to take the game to Villa in the final, score, and defend a 1-0 lead with 10 men for 20 minutes. Talk about handling the pressure.

Slavisa had a plan, a style, and a mentality. The players respected him and shared his vision. It all went wrong in the Premier League, but Slavisa shares only a small portion of that blame for me. I wish so much we had just kept him as we went down.

Parker shouldn't exist on the same sentence as Slavisa. He delivers nothing but boredom and underwhelming.

*applauds*

Superb post. Agree with all of this wholeheartedly. Really captures and sums up the whole of the last few years. I also wanted to keep and go down and back with Slavisa. Like Burnley did with Sean Dyche.

Asotosyios

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 23, 2020, 01:39:52 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on February 23, 2020, 12:39:26 PM

*applauds*

Superb post. Agree with all of this wholeheartedly. Really captures and sums up the whole of the last few years. I also wanted to keep and go down and back with Slavisa. Like Burnley did with Sean Dyche.

Agree with both - my feelings exactly.

I Ronic

Jokanovic has two things in common with Tigana, Keegan and Roy. Firstly great managers when they were with us and secondly they're not coming back can we please move on.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: I Ronic on February 23, 2020, 02:07:57 PM
Jokanovic has two things in common with Tigana, Keegan and Roy. Firstly great managers when they were with us and secondly they're not coming back can we please move on.

I don't think anyone thinks that he is. I certainly don't. The point is, if Tony Khan sacked Parker and took over himself, I'd bet my house we wouldn't fare much worse! That's the point. Literally anyone, all the names that have been suggested, even god forbid Fat Sam or Colin, would do a better job (and not actually be anymore boring, style wise) than the chap currently in post.

I Ronic

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 23, 2020, 02:12:48 PM

I don't think anyone thinks that he is. I certainly don't. The point is, if Tony Khan sacked Parker and took over himself, I'd bet my house we wouldn't fare much worse! That's the point. Literally anyone, all the names that have been suggested, even god forbid Fat Sam or Colin, would do a better job (and not actually be anymore boring, style wise) than the chap currently in post.

I'm not going to argue about the present style of football. I have to say we played a lot of sideways football under Roy.
It's been deeply frustrating almost catching Leeds and then watching them slip away again but when has it ever been different at Fulham? Didn't the loss against Birmingham cost us second a couple of season ago (I might be wrong).
Sacking anyone at moment in my opinion won't improve things.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: I Ronic on February 23, 2020, 02:33:24 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 23, 2020, 02:12:48 PM

I'm not going to argue about the present style of football. I have to say we played a lot of sideways football under Roy.
It's been deeply frustrating almost catching Leeds and then watching them slip away again but when has it ever been different at Fulham? Didn't the loss against Birmingham cost us second a couple of season ago (I might be wrong).
Sacking anyone at moment in my opinion won't improve things.

True, true. It's never easy at Fulham. I guess that's why we love(hate) them...

Big game Wednesday. COYW (FFS!).