more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Head Coach press conference

Started by Friendsoffulham, February 26, 2020, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Head Coach press conference

Scott Parker believes Wednesday night's events were about more than just three points for Fulham.

It looked as though the opportunity for victory may have passed us by when Aleksandar Mitrović's 89th minute penalty was saved.

But the spirit of the side did not waver, as the final moments of stoppage time saw Joe Bryan bust a gut to quell a Swansea City attack, which turned into Aboubakar Kamara delivering a wonderful cross for Mitrović to power home.

"When you miss a penalty late on obviously you feel a bit like it's not your night, but full credit to the team," Parker said. "Full credit to the whole squad.

"I've been in this job now for a year and we often speak to the players about the detail in the way we want to play and the technical side, but I talk about building the mentality more than anything, building a never say die attitude.

"We've fallen short in that side of the game before, but what top teams do is what we did tonight. After missing the penalty there was an option for Mitrović to think it maybe wasn't his night, there was an option for Joe Bryan not to chase back in that dying moment to make a last ditch tackle, and for us to not go up the other end.

"Abou Kamara's put a cross in and Mitrović has the desire and the mentality to think, 'you know what, this needs to go on my head, I need to climb above this centre-half and put it in the goal.'

"That's what pleases me the most."

He continued: "The team need to understand that what they've done tonight, what Mitrović has done, what Abou Kamara has done coming off the bench, maybe disappointed he didn't start tonight, what Joe Bryan has done, and as a team what we've done is sometimes more important than the result.

"And when you're trying to develop a team and trying to become a top team, which is our aspiration, for me as the coach there's a bigger picture sometimes."

That 94th minute winner takes Mitrović's tally to 23 Championship goals for the season, and Parker hopes he maintains that relentless fight which he showed on Wednesday.

"For me as a coach, when you're giving messages to the team and you're trying to change a mentality, and I include Mitrović in that because he is so young still, it's moments like this that really force your words," he explained.

"If you don't have these moments, your words sometimes can maybe fall a little bit short. I hope that Mitro understands that by going and going and going, from zero to 90 or 95 [minutes] then you've always got a chance, and that's what top players do, that's what top teams do.

"I thought the way we played tonight was very good, I thought we were exceptional. Over the last few games we've had a control about us but probably not moved the ball as quick as I'd like, but certainly in the first half today I've seen a team that was really forward thinking.

"We had a real purpose about us and maybe could have been two up at half-time."

https://tinyurl.com/thhpq5n

howitis

Agree with Parker that the first 20 mins we were at the races in a way that we have not been in weeks.
As for the rest of his comments, too much psychology bull**** and covers up what was a poor 2nd hand performance.
There is something very wrong at FFC and the supporters sense/know it. The goals and chances created have completely dried up and whilst Swansea are not a poor team, we failed to test keeper.

davew

Quote from: howitis on February 26, 2020, 11:31:09 PM
Agree with Parker that the first 20 mins we were at the races in a way that we have not been in weeks.
As for the rest of his comments, too much psychology bull**** and covers up what was a poor 2nd hand performance.
There is something very wrong at FFC and the supporters sense/know it. The goals and chances created have completely dried up and whilst Swansea are not a poor team, we failed to test keeper.

Maybe though we are back on a winning (rather than a whinging) run!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MikeTheCubed

Did their keeper have a save to make until the penalty?

davew

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on February 27, 2020, 12:05:20 AM
Did their keeper have a save to make until the penalty?
Only maybe in the practise build up, which I didn´t see on Sky as it wasn´t shown. We are not ruthless enough, lack a cutting edge somehow?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)