https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

Quote from: ffcne on April 07, 2020, 07:28:37 AM
Quote from: Fernhurst on April 06, 2020, 09:34:50 PM
Good Luck Boris...... miles away from your political views, but on a human level, very best wishes to you and your family for a speedy recovery.

Very insincere.Why mention anything about political views.?

I also wonder why so many people have to qualify their political or republican stance on matters when commenting about others, be they politicians or royalty when the only thing being discussed is their health.

Mince n Tatties

The senior Heart Surgeon at Cardiff hospital has died of it at 58.
A man who has saved many lives has been taken,bloody scary.

john dempsey

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 05, 2020, 09:10:17 AM
Some recluse in the backwaters of Canada who lives 40 miles from anyone and hasn't been in contact with a human in ages has it.
I'm telling you this is a man made disease put in to the atmosphere somehow by the Chinese.
When this is over there are going to be serious problems for World peace between America and China.
Conspiracy Theory No 55, starring Mel Gibson and Julia  Roberts.
unfortunately you are probably closer too the truth than we are being told.
as it would not be the first time that something like this has been used against populations

Statto

Quote from: john dempsey on April 07, 2020, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 05, 2020, 09:10:17 AM
Some recluse in the backwaters of Canada who lives 40 miles from anyone and hasn't been in contact with a human in ages has it.
I'm telling you this is a man made disease put in to the atmosphere somehow by the Chinese.
When this is over there are going to be serious problems for World peace between America and China.
Conspiracy Theory No 55, starring Mel Gibson and Julia  Roberts.
unfortunately you are probably closer too the truth than we are being told.
as it would not be the first time that something like this has been used against populations

Oh pack it in.
You'll be burning phone masts next FFS

ByTheRiver

I suppose, yes, it could be worse. We could be the US...

I notice today that, shock horror, that miracle drug (untested and not a cure apparently) that Trump has been banging on about (hydroxychloroquine or something), turns out he has 'a financial interest' in the manufacturers. Bent as a nine bob note, that one.

And genuinely quite, quite crazy going by recent press conferences.

Ged

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 07, 2020, 03:55:15 PM

I notice today that, shock horror, that miracle drug (untested and not a cure apparently) that Trump has been banging on about (hydroxychloroquine or something), turns out he has 'a financial interest' in the manufacturers. Bent as a nine bob note, that one.

Hes been mad for years

Fernhurst

Quote from: ffcne on April 07, 2020, 07:28:37 AM
Quote from: Fernhurst on April 06, 2020, 09:34:50 PM
Good Luck Boris...... miles away from your political views, but on a human level, very best wishes to you and your family for a speedy recovery.

Very insincere.Why mention anything about political views.?

Get in the real world FFCNE..There are numerous sites wishing him the worst which I have found sickening.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Statto

If you want to find a conspiracy in this sort of context, you will. All sounds a bit 'Brexiteers-are-shorting-the-Pound' to me. I'm going to lay down a challenge: name a highly wealthy person and some other thing - anything. With the power of Google I'm willing to bet I can find a link between them.

Fernhurst

Agreed, however, his approval rating with The American People is brilliant???
Go figure...?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on April 07, 2020, 11:30:18 PM

If you want to find a conspiracy in this sort of context, you will. All sounds a bit 'Brexiteers-are-shorting-the-Pound' to me. I'm going to lay down a challenge: name a highly wealthy person and some other thing - anything. With the power of Google I'm willing to bet I can find a link between them.

Eh? There's no conspiracy or digging needed, just simple facts. it's on Forbes and other news outlets today. Seems obvious given he's been the only one in the world going on about it. Absolutely scandalous. Amazed you are not equally appalled.

I said it weeks ago when our government ignored the advice of WHO and just about every expert around the world, that we and the US would end up the worst hit. As we have two absolutely incompetent simpletons at the helm. And guess what? We are both on exactly that trajectory!

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 07, 2020, 11:49:52 PM

Agreed, however, his approval rating with The American People is brilliant???
Go figure...?

Well, it doesn't surprise me to be honest. It's an eerily familiar tale here!

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:05:19 AM

Eh? There's no conspiracy or digging needed, just simple facts. it's on Forbes and other news outlets today. Seems obvious given he's been the only one in the world going on about it. Absolutely scandalous. Amazed you are not equally appalled.

I said it weeks ago when our government ignored the advice of WHO and just about every expert around the world, that we and the US would end up the worst hit. As we have two absolutely incompetent simpletons at the helm. And guess what? We are both on exactly that trajectory!

But outside the sphere of events covered by the Guardian, Trump isn't the only one going on about. It was tried by the Chinese, French and now the Australians. The world is in the grips of a virus for which there's currently no treatment or vaccine. It doesn't surprise me that states and leaders are trying various unproven potential treatments. I don't dispute that there's little or no evidence it works, but nonetheless, it's still perceived by a much wider community than just Trump to be one of the most promising short-term options, albeit in a very weak field.

As to you your second paragraph, the UK's approach has, ostensibly at least, been decided thus far by scientists like Chris Witty and Patrick Valance, not Johnson. Are you suggesting those characters are actually just reading lines the government has written for them, fraudulently or under duress? Or do you accept their independence but just think you know better? I'm not sure which of those is less plausible.

I also repeat my challenge.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2020, 12:23:08 AM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:05:19 AM

But outside the sphere of events covered by the Guardian, Trump isn't the only one going on about. It was tried by the Chinese, French and now the Australians. The world is in the grips of a virus for which there's currently no treatment or vaccine. It doesn't surprise me that states and leaders are trying various unproven potential treatments. I don't dispute that there's little or no evidence it works, but nonetheless, it's still perceived by a much wider community than just Trump to be one of the most promising short-term options, albeit in a very weak field.

As to you your second paragraph, the UK's approach has, ostensibly at least, been decided thus far by scientists like Chris Witty and Patrick Valance, not Johnson. Are you suggesting those characters are actually just reading lines the government has written for them, fraudulently or under duress? Or do you accept their independence but just think you know better? I'm not sure which of those is less plausible.

I also repeat my challenge.

I don't think I know better, no. I do think the World Health Organization and various other experts around the world knew better and gave that advice publicly. They called the herd immunity 'take it on the chin' original strategy 'insanity', I was shocked when they assumed they knew better. And thus, after a period of time passed and the virus spread, the comedy duo of Witty and Valance agreed and changed their plan a week or so later.

During that time, football continued, the tube ran, everyone worked as usual, Cheltenham, various  large gigs etc, and, as if by magic, three weeks later, as predicated by all the experts outside the government (and posted by me on this very board as I have learned to observe what others say when disagreeing with the Tory party as history has shown them to be consistently creative with the truth), hundreds near thousands are dying each day and we are right up at the top with our projected trajectory above Italy and Spain et all.

Korea and others who gave this advice at the very beginning to us, have never really gone above 10 deaths per day.

Put party politics aside for a moment and think. The little harem that have been appearing on our screens giving updates, all need a trial and a bit of jail time once this is over. Criminal negligence.

ByTheRiver

It's likely to all be removed as I've noticed my polite response to Wooly's abusive 'looney left' 'pure evil' nonsense post has been but yet his post stays. So I may as well go out speaking my mind, eh?

Statto

I've no gripe with the WHO but let's be clear, it's essentially a forum for international cooperation on health. In order to function in that role, it has to be deferential and diplomatic towards the various corrupt and mad states among its membership (Google 'WHO Taiwan' for enlightenment). It also has a budget that is a tiny fraction of what countries like the US and even the UK spend on medical research. I've no doubt that its leaders are sincerely trying to do their best and they certainly know a lot more than I do, but it's not by any stretch of the imagination a more reliable source of guidance than domestic experts appointed in the large Western economies.

Here's a semi-intelligent analysis of the Trump/Sanofi story FYI
https://www.vox.com/2020/4/7/21211872/trump-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-covid19-drugs-sanofi-owns

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2020, 12:50:03 AM
I've no gripe with the WHO but let's be clear, it's essentially a forum for international cooperation on health. In order to function in that role, it has to be deferential and diplomatic towards the various corrupt and mad states among its membership (Google 'WHO Taiwan' for enlightenment). It also has a budget that is a tiny fraction of what countries like the US and even the UK spend on medical research. I've no doubt that its leaders are sincerely trying to do their best and they certainly know a lot more than I do, but it's not by any stretch of the imagination a more reliable source of guidance than domestic experts appointed in the large Western economies.

Here's a semi-intelligent analysis of the Trump/Sanofi story FYI
https://www.vox.com/2020/4/7/21211872/trump-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-covid19-drugs-sanofi-owns

Appreciate the link and I shall read that tomorrow after some sleep, ta. One final thing though - and what you say seems plausible re. Research budgets etc - US and UK being two of the leading lights,  if it continues as it is and the US and the UK are the most severely hit, how does that tally up? Surely that would suggest they got it badly wrong? Despite all the supposedly superior knowledge?

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:59:44 AM
One final thing though - and what you say seems plausible re. Research budgets etc - US and UK being two of the leading lights,  if it continues as it is and the US and the UK are the most severely hit, how does that tally up? Surely that would suggest they got it badly wrong? Despite all the supposedly superior knowledge?

Because that narrative is based on false premises and a massive oversimplification. The US and UK are/were not the only countries not to implement a full lockdown. And they are/probably will not be the "most severely hit" countries (in terms of cases/deaths proportionate to their size). I'm no expert but just do some independent research into those things, and apply some commonsense analysis, eg, consider the amount of international travel to from the UK/US and the obvious impact of that, the fact not all countries' outbreaks began at the same time, etc.

You'll probably wake up much more peaceful and happy when you realise that, whilst we're not the best in the world at everything here in the UK, we're still luckier than most (even among developed countries) in terms of the competence and trustworthiness of our government.

Holders

We all have our views at this point but the post mortem, when it comes, will determine what went wrong - and right.

Meantime, as well as the drug mentioned above, it's been found that ivermectin, a common treatment for fleas and ticks on animals and head-lice in children, has been found to kill the virus in vitro. I've not heard it suggested that Trump has shares in that. With animals, you apply it either orally or topically so kids must absorb a dose when their nits are treated so it must be safe at some dosage.   

Maybe there's some mileage in that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

Quote from: Holders on April 08, 2020, 10:36:22 AM
We all have our views at this point but the post mortem, when it comes, will determine what went wrong - and right.

Meantime, as well as the drug mentioned above, it's been found that ivermectin, a common treatment for fleas and ticks on animals and head-lice in children, has been found to kill the virus in vitro. I've not heard it suggested that Trump has shares in that. With animals, you apply it either orally or topically so kids must absorb a dose when their nits are treated so it must be safe at some dosage.   

Trump's connection to hydroxychloroquine was through a tiny stake in Sanofi. Sanofi also makes invermectin products. So yes Trump does "have shares in that". Which somewhat demonstrates the flaws in the conspiracy.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2020, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 08, 2020, 10:36:22 AM

Trump's connection to hydroxychloroquine was through a tiny stake in Sanofi. Sanofi also makes invermectin products. So yes Trump does "have shares in that". Which somewhat demonstrates the flaws in the conspiracy.

No conspiracy suggested for ivermectin, which I see is a generic drug with a range of manufacturers.

I felt that its potential application might be of interest.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria