watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Ronic

Several matches have been cancelled in Italy today due to worries of the spread of the Coronavirus virus. I believe the French have or are considering cancelling large indoor events
Coronavirus isn't likely to go away anytime time soon and it could lead to matches being cancelled and league positions frozen.
Any thoughts on this?

sunburywhite

Its not to be sneezed at
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

SP

Some say the warmer weather will halt the spread?

Fulhamfan666

Yeah if this spread continues events etc will eventually be cancelled.

Andy S

I think that the papers have got nothing much to write about so let's panic. Masks that don't work are selling out. If you are fit you will recover. If you're not you probably didn't have long left anyway. I'm 67 and I'm not worried. If I get it I'll give it my best shot.

Riversider

Weird to think that if the Government ban all large gatherings , QPR will be the only team in London still allowed to play home games !  :dft012:

bobbo

Quote from: Andy S on March 01, 2020, 03:29:41 PM
I think that the papers have got nothing much to write about so let's panic. Masks that don't work are selling out. If you are fit you will recover. If you're not you probably didn't have long left anyway. I'm 67 and I'm not worried. If I get it I'll give it my best shot.
great reply . The media don't know where their next feeding frenzy will be. brexit, Harry and Megan,the poor love island girl . They rarely latch on to good news and keep shovelling it out to us.

Not denying it's serious but it's being rammed down our throats many times during news bulletins.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

There's always something promoted to hide the real issues. We saw it over the weekend.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

As the father of a disabled son who has nearly died of pneumonia more than once, I have been following the coronavirus situation very carefully. We will have a period when they try and halt the spread before letting it go. We want it to hit in the summer to ensure that the hospitals are under less strain.

My favourite bit of news is that the alcohol gels that are selling out are bad for us. You have to wash your hands after use as there are bacteria that live on the alcohol that are worse for us than the normal bacteria. Within fifteen minutes you have twice as many bacteria on your hands than you would if you just washed with soap and water.

cookieg

Wouldn't it be great if the Prem got cancelled just as Liverpool are likely to win it after all these years.

Robbie

It is bad flu and will be non-news by the end of the Month.

terryr

Quote from: Robbie on March 01, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
That's what they said in China at the beginning of January.
Now 300 million people are on virtual lock down.
300 million.
My office in Beijing has 160 people and no one has left their house for a month except to get food.
As of today there are 88,300 cases
42,000 have recovered
3,100 deaths
7,200 in serious condition
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Holders

Quote from: TerryR on March 01, 2020, 06:43:12 PM
Quote from: Robbie on March 01, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
That's what they said in China at the beginning of January.
Now 300 million people are on virtual lock down.
300 million.
My office in Beijing has 160 people and no one has left their house for a month except to get food.
As of today there are 88,300 cases
42,000 have recovered
3,100 deaths
7,200 in serious condition
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I was in Salzburg yesterday. In December it was swarming with Chinese tourists, yesterday not one to be seen.

grandad

Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.
Where there's a will there's a wife

terryr

Pope now seems to be suspected of being infected

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: grandad on March 01, 2020, 07:39:20 PM
Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

Not wanting to show disrespect to those who have passed away due to this illness, but to put it into some sort of perspective, during the Great War between 9-11 million soldiers died, added to that was around 20 million civilians.  The year after the war ended, Spanish Flu killed between 40 - 50 million people.  At the time it effected over 25% of the worlds population....500 million people.  If 25% of today's world population were to be infected, we would be looking at around 1 billion, eight hundred & eighty two million, 500 thousand people.
I think TV & newspapers are simply trying to frighten people into panic buying or scaremongering them.  Look after those most at risk and keep an eye out for your neighbours especially if they are elderly. The world is not ending folks!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on March 02, 2020, 12:40:08 AM
Quote from: grandad on March 01, 2020, 07:39:20 PM

Not wanting to show disrespect to those who have passed away due to this illness, but to put it into some sort of perspective, during the Great War between 9-11 million soldiers died, added to that was around 20 million civilians.  The year after the war ended, Spanish Flu killed between 40 - 50 million people.  At the time it effected over 25% of the worlds population....500 million people.  If 25% of today's world population were to be infected, we would be looking at around 1 billion, eight hundred & eighty two million, 500 thousand people.
I think TV & newspapers are simply trying to frighten people into panic buying or scaremongering them.  Look after those most at risk and keep an eye out for your neighbours especially if they are elderly. The world is not ending folks!!

FTN The voice of reason.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

One of the very few things I remember from my Geography O-Level is Thomas Malthus and his theory on population growth. Maybe nature has had enough of the damage we are causing to the planet and is starting to fight back.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: cookieg on March 02, 2020, 07:00:59 AM
One of the very few things I remember from my Geography O-Level is Thomas Malthus and his theory on population growth. Maybe nature has had enough of the damage we are causing to the planet and is starting to fight back.

Can the planet start with QPR supporters  :dft012:
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Holders

Quote from: cookieg on March 02, 2020, 07:00:59 AM

That is an interesting philosophical way of looking at it. Our species is part and parcel of Nature, as a system, and sooner or later the system will adapt and adjust. I wouldn't go quite so far as to suggest that Nature has detected an infection and is repelling it but that is a valid notion, if one wanted to go down that route.